ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Minneapolis incidents , police incidents , police misconduct charges

Reply
Old 9th June 2020, 03:54 PM   #321
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 12,795
Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
You mean in this thread or in the disband movement?
It's called "defunding" and the primary reason it's being discussed is that making significant changes in police departments requires the cooperation of police unions and they've made clear that change is unacceptable. Defunding means the police department as it is currently constituted goes away and something new takes it place. Don't worry, most of our hero cops will get their guns back, but they will [hopefully] be part of a new public safety organization that won't tolerate it when they decide somebody needs a "tune-up" or worse. It might even encourage them not to shoot unarmed people or choke people to death.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 04:01 PM   #322
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 92,213
Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
No, my issue is the coverage of his funeral is interrupting the coverage of Democrat constituents burning down Democrat cities. That is quality entertainment I am being deprived of. I can't complain too much, though. It's given me the opportunity to listen to Democrat aldermen from Chicago airing their grievances to the Democrat mayor of Chicago because of what their Democrat constituents are doing to their Democrat ran city. It's almost as entertaining, but not quite.

How do you know the looters and vandals are democrats?
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 04:02 PM   #323
trustbutverify
Philosopher
 
trustbutverify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 8,070
Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
It's called "defunding"...
The movement I'm addressing calls it disbanding, and a subset of that movement favors abolition. So the smug lecture isn't necessary, in this case.
__________________
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Wollen owns the stage

Last edited by trustbutverify; 9th June 2020 at 04:04 PM.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 04:04 PM   #324
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 12,795
Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
The movement I'm addressing calls it disbanding, and a subset of that movement favors abolition. So the lecture isn't necessary, in this case.
Sorry. I assumed you were talking about a movement with some chance of accomplishing real change as opposed to asking people to comment on the most extreme of the extreme. My bad.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 04:09 PM   #325
Bogative
Graduate Poster
 
Bogative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,354
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
How do you know the looters and vandals are democrats?

The same way other people know Floyd was murdered because he was black.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 04:13 PM   #326
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 10,878
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
In the last 40 years I've been pulled over twice for speeding. Once was my fault and I said so. The second time I swore he picked the wrong car out, my car didn't go that fast up a hill. He was using radar on headlights in the dark in the rain. I managed to create enough doubt he gave up.

And once I took off with my headlights off. When they said why they stopped me, I thanked them. Then I realized the cop wasn't just politely stopping me. He turned out to be an ass, looking for a drunk driver. I'm guessing had I been black it would have been 10 times worse.

However, I do have two other stories of cops making stupid false assumptions that has colored my view of police, even though I work with them. I am so empathetic with blacks being treated by police who start not with an open mind collecting the facts, but rather, starting with really awful false assumptions. They have a habit of seeing everything through a very dark lens. People are viewed as criminals from the start.
I've also only been pulled over twice. Once for weaving on an empty road because I was trying to read a map while navigating... so I really don't blame the cop for that one. The other time was for going 90 in a 55... for which I got a warning.

I believe that women get pulled over less often than men statistically. On the one hand, that's a boon because we get away with stuff. ONt he other hand, it's a detriment because it's part and parcel of the "woman driver" stereotype that rolls into all the other social biases out there...
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 04:14 PM   #327
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 10,878
Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
I think cannibalism was going a bit too far.


That made me snort.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 04:17 PM   #328
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 12,795
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
How do you know the looters and vandals are democrats?
Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
The same way other people know Floyd was murdered because he was black.
So, video evidence?
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 04:18 PM   #329
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 92,213
Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
The same way other people know Floyd was murdered because he was black.

Which is?
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 04:21 PM   #330
trustbutverify
Philosopher
 
trustbutverify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 8,070
Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Sorry. I assumed you were talking about a movement with some chance of accomplishing real change as opposed to asking people to comment on the most extreme of the extreme. My bad.
Sorry for the over reaction on my part. I assumed since the Camden City council referred to their plan as disbanding, they weren't the extreme of the extreme.
__________________
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Wollen owns the stage

Last edited by trustbutverify; 9th June 2020 at 04:36 PM.
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 04:28 PM   #331
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 25,568
Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
The same way other people know Floyd was murdered because he was black.
Oh so you have statistical facts, evidence, and trends showing systematic abuse of private property by democrats? You have figures showing democrats riot at rates higher than other demographics?

Please, share them with the class.

We'll wait.
__________________
- I don't know how to tell you that facts exist
- I don't know how to convince you that you should care about other people
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 04:33 PM   #332
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 10,878
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
I agree that it seems pointless to continue, as I do not get the impression you are even listening to what I say.
Apologies, I was not ignoring you, and I have been listening.

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Of course I am aware that tribalism exists. Of course I am aware that everyone has their biases and prejudices. That's all your argument consists of, I have already acknowledged it previously, yet you still keep coming back to it as if presenting it should simply resolve the discussion.

To the contrary, it does not. History gives us examples of one "tribe" running off the rails in extreme ways--Nazi Germany comes to mind. Please note that I am not even attempting to compare the GOP with Nazi Germany--I am merely providing an example of an occurrence which you seem to be denying even happens.

Earlier you said "Propaganda is propaganda". Complete balderdash, as I said previously. Allow me to give you two contrasting examples. (Please note that I am not claiming that these examples are representative of American or German WWII propaganda. I present them merely to prove that "propaganda is propaganda" is meaningless tripe):

1) One example of American propaganda was to refer to Hitler as Adolf Schicklgruber.

2) German propaganda rag Der StŁrmer published that, "Jews need the blood of a Christian child, maybe, to mix in with their Matzah."



One is quite obviously not like the other.
Saying that propaganda is propaganda is not saying that they're all identical and interchangeable. The point I was making is that your view of "good" versus "bad" propaganda is a moral judgement. It's not a factual observation. Factually, the only bad propaganda is propaganda that doesn't work. From a moral perspective, the german propaganda is more evil. From a factual perspective... it was unfortunately effective. Part of the question ends up being "for whom is the propaganda intended"? Who is the audience? And is the propaganda effective at swaying the perceptions, beliefs, and attitudes of that audience? As much as you and I might agree that the german propaganda is disgusting and immoral, it accomplished its goal.

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
If you would like to drop the discussion, that's fine, but I would appreciate an answer to a question I asked previously and never got a response to:

What warning signs of a tribe (such as Nazi Germany) running off the rails into nutjobism would you consider as credible? I feel compelled to ask again because, in my experience, you casually dismiss any and all alarms as just more "tribalism". History shows this is not always the case.


ETA: And just in case it's not absolutely clear: I haven't even been trying to argue that the GOP is going off the rails with my last few posts. I am merely trying to argue that "going off the rails into nutjobism" does, in fact, happen from time to time--A position that, in my impression, you are denying, given that you dismiss any evidence as merely more tribalism. As in: Oh, you shouldn't be talking about Nazis that way. Your bias against them is showing.
Yes, of course, tribalism can get overzealous. It's happened again and again throughout history - WW2 isn't even the most recent example, and probably isn't even the most extreme example. I would include all religious crusades in that list, jihaads, violent cults, etc. It's not rare. And of course it's dangerous to anyone not in that tribe.

As for warning signs? It's hard to say. I think it's probably easier to spot the tribalism gone overboard after the fact than it is to spot leading indicators.

I would speculate some characteristics, but it's not my field of study, and I'm certain my knowledge on this is incomplete. I'd guess some of the following:
  • Presentation of opinion as fact, and acceptance of opinion as fact by members of the tribe
  • Presumption of evil motives by all who are not members of the tribe
  • Narrative framing of speculation and allegation as truth
  • Persistent and widespread vilification of out-group members, and Demonization of those who oppose such vilification as being clandestine supporters of the out-group
  • Rationalization and justification for violence against the out-group
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 04:33 PM   #333
Bogative
Graduate Poster
 
Bogative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,354
Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
So, video evidence?
I watched the Floyd video in its entirety twice, there was no evidence that he was murdered because he was black. Maybe you can point it out to me?
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 04:34 PM   #334
Bogative
Graduate Poster
 
Bogative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,354
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Which is?
Confirmation bias, just like the others.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 04:34 PM   #335
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 10,878
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Are you aware that I brought it up in a context that makes that "minor footnote" absolutely relevant to the discussion?
I don't see the relevance.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 04:38 PM   #336
Lithrael
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,880
As a small white lady type person in Atlanta, if I’m driving a beater I get pulled over constantly. If I’m driving a decent, normal car I get pulled over never.

Once in my beater I even got the ‘all the bored cops show up to my traffic stop’ three car jamboree. Because I was acting unusually stressed out for someone who was being stopped for a seatbelt citation. Because I was going to be late to pick up a friend’s kid from school.

Last edited by Lithrael; 9th June 2020 at 04:42 PM.
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 04:45 PM   #337
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped
 
Sideroxylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Aporia
Posts: 23,488
Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
I watched the Floyd video in its entirety twice, there was no evidence that he was murdered because he was black. Maybe you can point it out to me?
I read this post in itís entirety a few times and canít find evidence that it is deliberately obtuse.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 04:50 PM   #338
pgwenthold
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 19,097
There is something I realized that I haven't heard addressed: the guy knelt on his neck for 8 minutes. What was he waiting for? What was the end point?

If he was waiting for Floyd to stop resisting, we know he wasn't breathing for like 3 minutes. How long does he have to be not resisting to be considered not resisting?

There were 3 other cops watching, so it's not like he was waiting for help.

So what was he waiting for, other for Floyd to stop breathing?
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 04:58 PM   #339
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 12,795
Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
There is something I realized that I haven't heard addressed: the guy knelt on his neck for 8 minutes. What was he waiting for? What was the end point?

If he was waiting for Floyd to stop resisting, we know he wasn't breathing for like 3 minutes. How long does he have to be not resisting to be considered not resisting?

There were 3 other cops watching, so it's not like he was waiting for help.

So what was he waiting for, other for Floyd to stop breathing?
There are, to my mind, only two possibilities:
1. He was waiting until George Floyd was dead.
2. He was waiting until he felt like he could get off him without looking like he wasn't giving in to the crowd [of black people] telling him to get off because he was killing George Floyd.

I consider it cold-blooded murder either way because nobody would stay on another person's neck for that length of time - which feels like forever when watching video and must have felt like forever for everyone present - unless they are willing to kill.

Last edited by Babbylonian; 9th June 2020 at 05:06 PM.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 05:00 PM   #340
caveman1917
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 7,185
A six block Autonomous Zone has been established in downtown Seattle. From riot to insurrection
__________________
"Ideas are also weapons." - Subcomandante Marcos
"We must devastate the avenues where the wealthy live." - Lucy Parsons
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 05:01 PM   #341
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster
 
CaptainHowdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,471
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Let me think. Four speeding stops (two tickets, two warnings)
One other traffic violation (I didn't do a head check before changing lanes, and there was a motorcycle cop in my blind spot.)
One no seat belt ticket.
At least two taillight related stops.
Two "suspicious behavior" incidents. (In one case I was reported for driving erratically and being suspected of being drunk. What the person behind me who made the report didn't see was that I was dodging someone who was driving erratically. In the other case, a cop was convinced I had shoplifted something from a store, but waited until I drove away, and pulled me over. That one was weird.)
One time I forgot to change my license tags.

That's eleven that I remember.
We're about the same age and have had a similar experiences with the police while driving. I've been pulled over four or five times for speeding or blowing through a stop sign but I've never gotten a warning. If the cops pull me over, I got the ticket. I never had a seat belt violation. I was pulled over once for drunk driving because I was drunk and I was driving. I've been stopped twice because "I fit the profile" of somebody they were after. I got pulled over once for not having the new registration tags on the car and for a faulty brake light.

How many times was the officer not very friendly to you or accused you of doing something you didn't do? How many times did you get confrontational with the cop or refuse to cooperate? How many times were you beaten up? For me, the answer is every single time, never, and never.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 05:03 PM   #342
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 89,633
Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
No, my issue is the coverage of his funeral is interrupting the coverage of Democrat constituents burning down Democrat cities.
Democratic. The adjective form of "democrat" is Democratic.

As Darat pointed out you have no idea what the affiliation of the looters is. I'd add that cities aren't persons (unlike corporations) and thus don't have political leanings.

Quote:
That is quality entertainment I am being deprived of.
Yes, I'm well aware that your only source of joy is seeing people you disagree with experience misery.

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
The same way other people know Floyd was murdered because he was black.
Another vacuous answer that just shows that your only mode of thinking is tit-for-tat. You can't imagine that the actual complaint could be that the police simply acted wrongly. If Democrats (the noun) are complaining about this incident, then naturally you have to take the opposite position.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 05:04 PM   #343
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the details
Posts: 89,633
Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
I watched the Floyd video in its entirety twice, there was no evidence that he was murdered because he was black. Maybe you can point it out to me?
"He didn't say 'I promise to release my tax returns.' He said 'I'll release my tax returns, believe me.' That's not a promise!"

Stop acting like an eight year-old. It's ridiculous.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward


Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 05:08 PM   #344
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster
 
CaptainHowdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,471
Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Seeing a clip of the funeral, there's a giant painting of Floyd as an angel. Granted, the intention may be figurative, but he was being arrested for trying to pass counterfeit money. Not exactly an angel, in that sense.
During the armed robbery for which he was convicted he threatened a pregnant woman by pointing his pistol at her baby bump. This is the kind of guy who is a hero to some people.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 05:14 PM   #345
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 21,873
Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
We're about the same age and have had a similar experiences with the police while driving. I've been pulled over four or five times for speeding or blowing through a stop sign but I've never gotten a warning. If the cops pull me over, I got the ticket. I never had a seat belt violation. I was pulled over once for drunk driving because I was drunk and I was driving. I've been stopped twice because "I fit the profile" of somebody they were after. I got pulled over once for not having the new registration tags on the car and for a faulty brake light.

How many times was the officer not very friendly to you or accused you of doing something you didn't do? How many times did you get confrontational with the cop or refuse to cooperate? How many times were you beaten up? For me, the answer is every single time, never, and never.
The "suspicion of shoplifting" cop was not very friendly, and he accused me of something I didn't do. Other than that, my answers to your questions would be the same.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 05:22 PM   #346
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing
 
Meadmaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 21,873
Originally Posted by CaptainHowdy View Post
How many times was the officer not very friendly to you or accused you of doing something you didn't do? How many times did you get confrontational with the cop or refuse to cooperate? How many times were you beaten up? For me, the answer is every single time, never, and never.
To follow up on this, I just read a friend's Facebook page yesterday. He went public with something that happened to him a year ago.

He was driving on I-80 in Indiana, when a cop pulled him over. The cop told him to get out of the car. My friend was ex-military and a martial arts practitioner. He was impeccably polite at all times. I have never known him to be otherwise. The cop asked if he had drugs in the car. He responded that he did not. The cop informed him that he would have to search the car. And, since the cop had no partner, and my friend was much bigger than the cop, my friend would have to be handcuffed while the cop searched the car. He proceeded to search the car, let my friend out of the cuffs, and very politely, wished my friend a nice rest of the day.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 05:25 PM   #347
Bogative
Graduate Poster
 
Bogative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,354
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Oh so you have statistical facts, evidence, and trends showing systematic abuse of private property by democrats? You have figures showing democrats riot at rates higher than other demographics?

Please, share them with the class.

We'll wait.
Statistically, Chicago is a majority Democrat city, therefore it's Democrats who are burning and looting the city. (I learned on this forum that I don't need direct evidence to a claim if I have statistics e.g., Floyd was murdered because he was black)
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 05:25 PM   #348
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 4,721
I use to live in S. Carolina along I-85, a major North-South interstate that is a common trucking route for all sorts of goods, including illegal drugs. With regularity, multiple agencies would conduct stings where they pulled over large amounts of cars for minor (or imagined) infractions and search for drugs.

On my morning commutes during these times, it was extremely common to see people repacking their cars on the side of the road with all there belongings lined up on the shoulder. The cops would always brag about the amount of drugs they seized, but no comment on the ordinary people who had their entire cars turned upside down by cops conducting invasive searches for drugs that didn't exist.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 05:31 PM   #349
Bogative
Graduate Poster
 
Bogative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,354
Originally Posted by Lithrael View Post
As a small white lady type person in Atlanta, if Iím driving a beater I get pulled over constantly. If Iím driving a decent, normal car I get pulled over never.

Once in my beater I even got the Ďall the bored cops show up to my traffic stopí three car jamboree. Because I was acting unusually stressed out for someone who was being stopped for a seatbelt citation. Because I was going to be late to pick up a friendís kid from school.

If you were black, you could blame it on racial profiling and systemic racism. Were you scared for your life while being pulled over by a cop?
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 05:35 PM   #350
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 17,269
Lately I’ve observed a lot of right wingers trying to exploit Floyd’s murder for petty political advantage or simply to get a rise out of liberals. From Trump down to social media and online forums. Fortunately there are a lot more human beings with principles, morality and a sense of justice than they counted on and from what I’ve seen these revolting attempts are being largely rejected. But still very sad as to what it says about the race baiters.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 05:40 PM   #351
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 81,571
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
That's what I'm wondering. What is the problem with people linking in ways that one poster doesn't like?
It's not just one poster. Pretty sure a lot of us appreciate proper labeling of links.
__________________
Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 05:41 PM   #352
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him
 
arthwollipot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 67,286
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It's not just one poster. Pretty sure a lot of us appreciate proper labeling of links.
Agreed.
__________________
Self-described nerd.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 05:42 PM   #353
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 81,571
Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
You mean in this thread or in the disband movement?
I'm talking about "defund the police". It's awful messaging.
__________________
Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 05:45 PM   #354
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 81,571
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I've also only been pulled over twice. Once for weaving on an empty road because I was trying to read a map while navigating... so I really don't blame the cop for that one. The other time was for going 90 in a 55... for which I got a warning.

I believe that women get pulled over less often than men statistically. On the one hand, that's a boon because we get away with stuff. ONt he other hand, it's a detriment because it's part and parcel of the "woman driver" stereotype that rolls into all the other social biases out there...
I have a half dozen or more stories from my youth where I was let go solely on the basis of being a young attractive female.
__________________
Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 05:56 PM   #355
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 12,795
Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
To follow up on this, I just read a friend's Facebook page yesterday. He went public with something that happened to him a year ago.

He was driving on I-80 in Indiana, when a cop pulled him over. The cop told him to get out of the car. My friend was ex-military and a martial arts practitioner. He was impeccably polite at all times. I have never known him to be otherwise. The cop asked if he had drugs in the car. He responded that he did not. The cop informed him that he would have to search the car. And, since the cop had no partner, and my friend was much bigger than the cop, my friend would have to be handcuffed while the cop searched the car. He proceeded to search the car, let my friend out of the cuffs, and very politely, wished my friend a nice rest of the day.
I'm curious what your take is on this story.

From my perspective, while it's nice that the officer was polite, he was polite about a ridiculous violation of your friend's rights. He did not "have to search the car" unless he had a good reason to suspect your friend of having drugs. He wanted to search the car. Even asking to search the car, given all the potential negative consequences of defying a police officer's request, is questionable unless, again, he had at least reasonable suspicion, if not probable cause to do so.

I read your story and, absent further context, only see an abuse of power.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 05:57 PM   #356
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 81,571
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
... The point I was making is that your view of "good" versus "bad" propaganda is a moral judgement. It's not a factual observation. Factually, the only bad propaganda is propaganda that doesn't work. From a moral perspective, the german propaganda is more evil. From a factual perspective... it was unfortunately effective....
Not necessarily. Good propaganda might be defined as honest or factual messaging. Some people believe that the word propaganda connotes false or misleading messaging. But the word itself only means persuasive messaging. We just tend to conflate it with evil propagandizing.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/propaganda ***
Quote:
noun
information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc.

the deliberate spreading of such information, rumors, etc.

the particular doctrines or principles propagated by an organization or
movement. ...
So a movement deliberately spreading information is spreading propaganda like the JREF promoting critical thinking.


*** Note the link is short with the name and source easily readable.
__________________
Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 9th June 2020 at 06:21 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 05:59 PM   #357
Cabbage
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,598
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Apologies, I was not ignoring you, and I have been listening.


Saying that propaganda is propaganda is not saying that they're all identical and interchangeable. The point I was making is that your view of "good" versus "bad" propaganda is a moral judgement. It's not a factual observation. Factually, the only bad propaganda is propaganda that doesn't work. From a moral perspective, the german propaganda is more evil. From a factual perspective... it was unfortunately effective. Part of the question ends up being "for whom is the propaganda intended"? Who is the audience? And is the propaganda effective at swaying the perceptions, beliefs, and attitudes of that audience? As much as you and I might agree that the german propaganda is disgusting and immoral, it accomplished its goal.
Call it a "moral judgment" if you like, that doesn't change the fact that it's a pretty damned significant difference between propaganda A and propaganda B. Recall that this began from you saying (paraphrased), "Both sides have their believers in conspiracy theories and propaganda" and my response, "But that ignores both the prevalence and danger of the relative conspiracy theories/propaganda".

It looks to me like you are now acknowledging it, yet still somehow dismissing it as a "Moral Judgment", as if that is secondary to the "Swaying Opinion" function of propaganda. Not at all. That was my point to begin with, and getting you to acknowledge that has been a "Pulling of Teeth" affair.

The point was NEVER about the definition or purpose of propaganda, it's ALWAYS been about how some propaganda is more detrimental to society than other propaganda.

Responding to "That group is becoming dangerously biased" with the claim that "Hey, we all have our biases!" that you've been making completely (deliberately?) misses the point. Call it a "Moral Judgment" () if you need to, but honestly, I find it rather offensive to call a distinction between:

1) Hitler's anti-Jew propaganda

and

2) America's anti-Hitler propaganda

a simple "Moral Judgment": One of them is objectively more dangerous to society.



Quote:
Yes, of course, tribalism can get overzealous. It's happened again and again throughout history - WW2 isn't even the most recent example, and probably isn't even the most extreme example. I would include all religious crusades in that list, jihaads, violent cults, etc. It's not rare. And of course it's dangerous to anyone not in that tribe.

As for warning signs? It's hard to say. I think it's probably easier to spot the tribalism gone overboard after the fact than it is to spot leading indicators.
Oh, you mean after it's too damn late to really do anything about it? Gee, that's helpful.

Quote:
I would speculate some characteristics, but it's not my field of study, and I'm certain my knowledge on this is incomplete. I'd guess some of the following:
  • Presentation of opinion as fact, and acceptance of opinion as fact by members of the tribe
  • Presumption of evil motives by all who are not members of the tribe
  • Narrative framing of speculation and allegation as truth
  • Persistent and widespread vilification of out-group members, and Demonization of those who oppose such vilification as being clandestine supporters of the out-group
  • Rationalization and justification for violence against the out-group

Yes, I'd say that's a fairly accurate description of the Trump cult. And that was my original point: I take exception to you scoffing at the notion that there's evidence of the Trump cult going off the rails into nutjobism--There are indeed warning signs.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 06:00 PM   #358
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 4,721
Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Call it a "moral judgment" if you like, that doesn't change the fact that it's a pretty damned significant difference between propaganda A and propaganda B. Recall that this began from you saying (paraphrased), "Both sides have their believers in conspiracy theories and propaganda" and my response, "But that ignores both the prevalence and danger of the relative conspiracy theories/propaganda".

It looks to me like you are now acknowledging it, yet still somehow dismissing it as a "Moral Judgment", as if that is secondary to the "Swaying Opinion" function of propaganda. Not at all. That was my point to begin with, and getting you to acknowledge that has been a "Pulling of Teeth" affair.

The point was NEVER about the definition or purpose of propaganda, it's ALWAYS been about how some propaganda is more detrimental to society than other propaganda.

Responding to "That group is becoming dangerously biased" with the claim that "Hey, we all have our biases!" that you've been making completely (deliberately?) misses the point. Call it a "Moral Judgment" () if you need to, but honestly, I find it rather offensive to call a distinction between:

1) Hitler's anti-Jew propaganda

and

2) America's anti-Hitler propaganda

a simple "Moral Judgment": One of them is objectively more dangerous to society.





Oh, you mean after it's too damn late to really do anything about it? Gee, that's helpful.




Yes, I'd say that's a fairly accurate description of the Trump cult. And that was my original point: I take exception to you scoffing at the notion that there's evidence of the Trump cult going off the rails into nutjobism--There are indeed warning signs.
Actually it's impossible to tell the difference between good and bad things. I am very smart.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 06:00 PM   #359
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 81,571
Originally Posted by Lithrael View Post
As a small white lady type person in Atlanta, if Iím driving a beater I get pulled over constantly. If Iím driving a decent, normal car I get pulled over never.

Once in my beater I even got the Ďall the bored cops show up to my traffic stopí three car jamboree. Because I was acting unusually stressed out for someone who was being stopped for a seatbelt citation. Because I was going to be late to pick up a friendís kid from school.
My friend is a doctor who drives an expensive SUV. He's black. He gets pulled over frequently compared to how often I get pulled over in my unwashed 2003 wagon.
__________________
Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th June 2020, 06:00 PM   #360
Cabbage
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,598
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I don't see the relevance.

Given your comments quoted above regarding Nazi propaganda vs anti-Nazi propaganda--I'm not surprised you don't see the relevance.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:51 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.