ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags abraham lincoln , History humor

View Poll Results: What was Lincoln hiding under that hat?
Male pattern baldness 0 0%
A Trump-style combover 2 13.33%
A ponytail 0 0%
A man bun 0 0%
A rabbit 6 40.00%
Planet X 7 46.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th June 2020, 07:32 PM   #1
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

What was Lincoln hiding under that hat?

Did Lincoln suffer from terminal bad hair? Or was it something more sinister?
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2020, 08:02 PM   #2
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I'm thinking more of a Ratatouille -scenario ...
Old 13th June 2020, 08:17 PM   #3
rdaneel
Illuminator

It was a cat in the hat
It was meant to keep down the rats
but it attempted a coup de'tat
So now it's a floor mat.
rdaneel is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2020, 10:19 PM   #4
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

He kept a Chevy under his hat.
That was why he was killed at Ford's Theatre.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 12:56 AM   #5
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

I think he had a very tall head that was flat on top, like Frankenstein's Monster.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 01:07 AM   #6
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

I don’t see marmalade sandwiches on the list.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 06:05 AM   #7
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
I donít see marmalade sandwiches on the list.

Maybe horns? I'm sure plenty of Confederates think that.
Possibly a brain-slug?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 07:01 AM   #8
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
I think he had a very tall head that was flat on top, like Frankenstein's Monster.
I don't know. He might have been a conehead.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 07:13 AM   #9
Steve
Philosopher

Thing One and Thing Two. They cleaned up after all the messes he made.
Old 14th June 2020, 08:46 AM   #10
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I've had to vote Planet X, because you've left out the obvious answer: His vampire slaying tools.
Old 14th June 2020, 10:06 AM   #11
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

If you are to believe the depiction of Lincoln in his totem pole (replica) at the Saxman Totem Park in Alaska, it was to make up for his short height. The story-I-was-toldTM by the guide when I visited there a couple of years ago was that the carvers of the pole were provided a portrait photo of Abe that only showed his upper torso. They did the best they could with what they were given.

So I voted X.
Old 14th June 2020, 11:05 AM   #12
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I donít see marmalade sandwiches on the list.
You beat me to it. Although I was going to say "A loaf of bread and a jar of marmalade."

(It helps that I just saw Paddington last night, otherwise I would not have even gotten it!)
Old 14th June 2020, 01:44 PM   #13
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I voted X because it wasn't even a hat - it was a mobile table.

He could take it off and place it on the floor, using it for playing cards or as a beer table at a party.

It was also bulletproof; its a shame he wasn't wearing it at Ford's Theatre - history might have turned out differently

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2020, 06:35 PM   #14
Myriad
Hyperthetical

His head was shaped that way.
Old 15th June 2020, 02:20 AM   #15
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
You beat me to it. Although I was going to say "A loaf of bread and a jar of marmalade."

(It helps that I just saw Paddington last night, otherwise I would not have even gotten it!)
Yeah, marmalade sandwiches were the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the thread title. Of course, he lived in a time when access to marmalade was much more sporadic, which is why he needed such a tall hat.

Dave

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 05:39 AM   #16
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
It was to hide the fact he'd been secretly replaced by a member of the Conehead race in an earlier effort to take over the Earth. They'd have succeeded had that pesky Civil War not broken out. Later efforts were an even greater failure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coneheads

Last edited by Mike!; 15th June 2020 at 05:41 AM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 07:02 AM   #17
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I'm thinking more of a Ratatouille -scenario ...

Or the episode of Pinky & The Brain in which Brain converted the Lincoln Memorial statue into a robot, with the hat added to conceal his command center.
(He claimed to be the spirit of Lincoln manifesting through his statue and returning to lead the country.)
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2020, 01:30 PM   #18
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I heard that Lincoln often stashed small notes on the inside of his hat.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2020, 12:32 PM   #19
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

It can't be boldness because no one tried to sell me a stovetop on the internet as a cure.
Old 22nd June 2020, 12:33 PM   #20
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

A coffee percolator. Being POTUS is hard, sometimes you need that caffeine hit.
Old 22nd June 2020, 01:20 PM   #21
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

It can't be boldness because no one tried to sell me a stovetop on the internet as a cure.
Why would you want to cure boldness? (Unless you are a pilot; "there are old pilots, and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots".)
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd June 2020, 01:36 PM   #22
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Why would you want to cure boldness? (Unless you are a pilot; "there are old pilots, and bold pilots, but no old, bold pilots".)
Male Pattern Boldness always gets me in trouble with our HR department.
Old 22nd June 2020, 01:53 PM   #23
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Male Pattern Boldness always gets me in trouble with our HR department.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts