ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old 31st July 2020, 10:24 PM   #441
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Boris has given Jo his Remain-supporting younger brother, who quit as a minister last year in protest at government policy a peerage.
And another to Ian Botham. Who better to negotiate us through the minefield of Brexit than someone who was a great cricketer, but a lousy captain, 40 years ago?
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 02:14 AM   #442
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Evgeny Lebedev, too. After all, why shouldn't the son of a KGB officer be allowed to have a role in the governing of the UK, immediately after the publication of a report saying that Russia was trying to exert influence of the UK establishment and that there were concerns about the House of Lords?
Old 1st August 2020, 02:16 AM   #443
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

And Claire Fox who... Sorry I can't even pretend that's a good idea for piss taking purposes.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 03:31 AM   #444
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Evgeny Lebedev, too. After all, why shouldn't the son of a KGB officer be allowed to have a role in the governing of the UK, immediately after the publication of a report saying that Russia was trying to exert influence of the UK establishment and that there were concerns about the House of Lords?
I've not read the report, like my PM - perhaps Johnson has misunderstood what he has read in the few press clippings Cummings allows him to see? Johnson perhaps thinks the report was saying that there wasn't enough Russian influence in the Lords so Johnson decided to act on the "findings of the report" ...as he understands it...

Last edited by Darat; 1st August 2020 at 03:31 AM. Reason: sss
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 03:33 AM   #445
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Grayling was, obviously, supposed to keep a lid on the Russia Report until *after* the KGB colonel’s son & the oligarch’s bagman had been put in the Lords.
Left with a choice between looking corrupt & not looking corrupt, Johnson has once again been true to form.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 03:41 AM   #446
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Grayling was, obviously, supposed to keep a lid on the Russia Report until *after* the KGB colonel’s son & the oligarch’s bagman had been put in the Lords.
Left with a choice between looking corrupt & not looking corrupt, Johnson has once again been true to form.
You have such a suspicious mind, it's a mere coincidence.
Old 1st August 2020, 09:48 AM   #447
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
You have such a suspicious mind, it's a mere coincidence.
With this government million to one chances happen nine times out of ten..

P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 10:32 AM   #448
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Fear? Or jealousy? It is merely the extension of the English class system. It is endemic in English society. If you take the time to rise from the lower classes and obtain an education, then you must be torn down.
Well social mobility is at an all time low

And when they achieve that, what will be the next excuse for failure? The UK depends on an army of brown people to bolster their economy. What will happen when they ban them?
Ban the Poles, Romanians, Belgians, Irish.... Find another out-group to blame.

That would be the folks who still think they have an EMPIRE. Or that they even matter a whole lot. Those are wingnuts.
Oh yes. As a colleague of mine said about Brexit, "The Imperial delusion is still strong".
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 10:33 AM   #449
catsmate
No longer the 1

Boris has given Jo his Remain-supporting younger brother, who quit as a minister last year in protest at government policy a peerage.
Ah yes, the House of Lords. Thank you for reminding me. Wasn't there someone here who harped on about "unelected elites" a while ago?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st August 2020, 10:38 AM   #450
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
And another to Ian Botham. Who better to negotiate us through the minefield of Brexit than someone who was a great cricketer, but a lousy captain, 40 years ago?
Ah yes, another little Englander.

Would this be a good time to discuss racism and ball tampering?
Old 1st August 2020, 02:09 PM   #451
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

What better way for Boris to say "**** you " to those of us concernaed about Russian interference in Brexit than giving a Russian a peerage.
Could the tosser have shown any more scorn for us plebs?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 01:01 AM   #452
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/MPIainDS/status/1290292766514135040

Quote:
Whilst the UK wants to have a good trade relationship with the EU as a sovereign state, the EU has different ideas. They want our money and they want to stop us being a competitor. The Withdrawal Agreement (WA) we signed last year sadly helps them. (1/3)

To avoid their own budget black hole, the EU gets £39billion as a “divorce payment” from us, reflecting our share of the current EU budget. But it gets worse. Buried in the fine print, unnoticed by many, is the fact we remain hooked into the EU’s loan book. (2/3)

You can't be half in the EU & half out, the problem is the WA. It costs too much & it denies us true national independence. This WA giving the EU future control over us has to go. Now Britain faces a £160billion #EU loans bill AFTER #Brexit (3/3)
Article embedded in tweet.

https://twitter.com/Michael57930798/...25630388412416

Quote:
Iain Duncan Smith MP finally reads the Withdrawal Agreement and disagrees with it, 8 months after voting for it, and 9 months after insisting that 3 days was enough time to read and debate it.
It's even worse than that tweet would have it - it appears that he learnt what it was he voted for by reading about it in The Sun. If that doesn't show due diligence, I don't know what would.
Old 4th August 2020, 01:14 AM   #453
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Number of UK citizens emigrating to EU has risen by 30% since Brexit vote.

If I was just 10 years younger I'd be going with them.
Old 4th August 2020, 01:17 AM   #454
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Number of UK citizens emigrating to EU has risen by 30% since Brexit vote.

If I was just 10 years younger I'd be going with them.
True Brexiteers would consider them traitors and be glad to see the back of them
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 01:38 AM   #455
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

True Brexiteers would consider them traitors and be glad to see the back of them
Something about rats abandoning... and then maybe not finish the sentence. One imagines the feeling will be mutual.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 02:01 AM   #456
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

https://twitter.com/MPIainDS/status/1290292766514135040

Article embedded in tweet.

https://twitter.com/Michael57930798/...25630388412416

It's even worse than that tweet would have it - it appears that he learnt what it was he voted for by reading about it in The Sun. If that doesn't show due diligence, I don't know what would.
Given it was a central plank of the Conservative Manifesto that got them an 80 seat majority, doesn't that make maintaining it "the will of the people"?

Old 4th August 2020, 04:32 AM   #457
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Given it was a central plank of the Conservative Manifesto that got them an 80 seat majority, doesn't that make maintaining it "the will of the people"?
No. The Will Of The People is whatever whoever happens to be in power wants.
Old 4th August 2020, 03:12 PM   #458
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Plans to install a “border in Kent” will create “more red tape” for businesses, the logistics industry has warned.

Quote:
The Department for Transport is consulting on a series of measures as part of Operation Brock contingency planning for possible disruption to cross-Channel trade when the Brexit transition period ends on December 31.

It is proposing to require hauliers driving to the Port of Dover or Eurotunnel, Folkestone to be in possession of a Kent Access Permit (KAP).
So essentially they are going to create a border in kent?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...17weJI?ocid=sf
Old 4th August 2020, 04:01 PM   #459
Ulf Nereng
Critical Thinker

Plans to install a “border in Kent” will create “more red tape” for businesses, the logistics industry has warned.

Clearly this is going to create a border around Kent, so there will need to be lorry parks around Kent in order to avoid congestion on the roads to Kent!
Ulf Nereng is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 04:08 PM   #460
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ulf Nereng View Post
Clearly this is going to create a border around Kent, so there will need to be lorry parks around Kent in order to avoid congestion on the roads to Kent!

The proposal seems to be to stifle trade to the point that no car parks are necessary. Obviously there are no negative consequences to this that they can predict.

Old 4th August 2020, 05:19 PM   #461
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ulf Nereng View Post
Nope. The brexiteers told us that could not possibly happen.

Oh, wait.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th August 2020, 11:36 PM   #462
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I like that it's being phrased as "possible disruption" when the transition period ends. Possible.
Old 4th August 2020, 11:48 PM   #463
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I like that it's being phrased as "possible disruption" when the transition period ends. Possible.
I suppose it's "possible" because some time in November or December the EU will finally come to their senses (under pressure from German car manufacturers and Italian Prosecco makers) and give the UK all the benefits of EU membership with none of the obligations.
Old 5th August 2020, 12:32 AM   #464
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Wouldn’t it be simpler to just cede Kent to France?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2020, 01:25 AM   #465
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
IIRC they share many of the same town names so why not ?
Old 5th August 2020, 01:36 AM   #466
Mojo
Mostly harmless

IIRC they share many of the same town names so why not ?

The Cinque Ports have always sounded suspiciously foreign.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th August 2020, 05:04 AM   #467
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Julian Lewis who beat Chris Grayling to intelligence chair role had the Tory whip stripped from him.

A Tory MP arrested on suspicion of rape.... Nothing

This tells you everything you need to know about the morality of Boris Johnson.
Old 5th August 2020, 05:13 AM   #468
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Julian Lewis who beat Chris Grayling to intelligence chair role had the Tory whip stripped from him.

As with the situation with President Trump in the US, loyalty to the leader is far more important than adhering to the law of the land - especially when that leader is ready to flout the law and/or look the other way when a loyal ally flouts the law.
Old 5th August 2020, 06:26 AM   #469
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

This has been gone in to in some depth in the "Tory MP charged with rape" thread. Basically, if the whip were removed, that would be public knowledge. That being public knowledge would necessarily reveal his name to the public. This could a) hinder the investigation, b) harm a future trial if he is charged and the case brought to trial, and c) identify the victim.

Whether or not any of these are actual considerations ATM, not removing the whip at this juncture is actually the right thing to do.
Old 6th August 2020, 01:20 PM   #470
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Worth noting wrt BJ's hopes of a US trade deal:

Trump demanded the previous highly successful and decades old trade deal with Canada (later expanded to include Mexico) be renegotiated. Just 1 month after the new trade deal came into effect Trump is looking to impose tariffs on Aluminum because US producers complained about imports.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/u-s-set-...orts-1.1476602

IOW Brexiters, if there are any left here, don't get your hopes up that a US trade deal would allow you to increase exports to the US, if that happens expect whatever deal you get to be ignored and tariffs imposed regardless of a trade deal.
Old 6th August 2020, 01:55 PM   #471
catsmate
No longer the 1

I for one welcome your new Kentish overlords. Down with the Danes and all power to the Heptarchy!!!
Old 6th August 2020, 01:57 PM   #472
catsmate
No longer the 1

Nope. The brexiteers told us that could not possibly happen.

Oh, wait.
Where is our resident Brexiteer? He was around on Tuesday yet he has nothing to contribute.....
Old 6th August 2020, 02:01 PM   #473
catsmate
No longer the 1

Well yes, if we go by history the Franks do get first go at pillaging Kent, followed by the Germans and then the Scots.
Unless you hand the place to the Italians.
Old 6th August 2020, 10:38 PM   #474
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Worth noting wrt BJ's hopes of a US trade deal:

Trump demanded the previous highly successful and decades old trade deal with Canada (later expanded to include Mexico) be renegotiated. Just 1 month after the new trade deal came into effect Trump is looking to impose tariffs on Aluminum because US producers complained about imports.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/u-s-set-...orts-1.1476602

IOW Brexiters, if there are any left here, don't get your hopes up that a US trade deal would allow you to increase exports to the US, if that happens expect whatever deal you get to be ignored and tariffs imposed regardless of a trade deal.
Any US/UK trade deal will be designed to make it easier for the US to sell to the UK, not the other way round.
Old 7th August 2020, 02:04 AM   #475
Lothian
should be banned

News this morning that the Channel is full of little boats packed with migrants. The French are doing nothing to stop them. We need to raise this in the EU parliament asap. What????
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2020, 06:49 AM   #476
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Any US/UK trade deal will be designed to make it easier for the US to sell to the UK, not the other way round.
The point of my post is that even in cases where the UK does have products are that attractive in the US market, if they start to gain market share in they are likely to face tariffs in spite of having a trade deal.

The deal itself will likely end up being one where the UK needs to drop it's standards to match that of the US or face competition from US products that are cheaper because they are made to a lower standard. If there are cases where the UK product has a lower standard, expect that to be considered a subsidy and face tariffs as a result.
Old 7th August 2020, 09:09 AM   #477
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
News this morning that the Channel is full of little boats packed with migrants. The French are doing nothing to stop them. We need to raise this in the EU parliament asap. What????
Priti Patel went on record saying that she'd send in the Navy to stop the migrants. Because there's no better image for the Tories than warships firing missiles at rowboats full of children.
Old 7th August 2020, 10:28 AM   #478
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Priti Patel went on record saying that she'd send in the Navy to stop the migrants.

So has she?

Old 7th August 2020, 10:37 AM   #479
RolandRat
Critical Thinker

So has she?
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...?ocid=msedgdhp

"Priti Patel’s plans to use the navy to tackle the growing number of migrants crossing the Channel from northern France would be unlawful and dangerous, lawyers have warned.

The home secretary told MPs she obtained legal advice that sending in the navy would be permitted under international maritime law. But one Ministry of Defence source told PA Media it was a “completely potty” idea. The French government has already told Britain it believes the move to be illegal."

So doesn't look like she has actually sent them in but she definitely wants to.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th August 2020, 10:44 AM   #480
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Priti Patel went on record saying that she'd send in the Navy to stop the migrants. Because there's no better image for the Tories than warships firing missiles at rowboats full of children.
See, I pointed this out ages ago. Years ago, even. The French have no reason to care anymore about about immigrants rocking up to UK shores because they are off their shores and the EU shores. Sayonara.

Should France or the EU come to a third countries rescue? Nope. They chose to leave. Not our problem anymore. It's the UK's problem.

I can predict that the Republic will become a route into NI and thence across the Irish sea. Happy to see them across the "open" border and out of my country much like France is. They will be queuing up at Larne. All heading for the "mainland" that the little Englander's are so desperate to defend.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics