ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old 1st July 2020, 02:55 AM   #161
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
No.
There were plenty of loud voices opposing this.
That they chose to go with the ones that confirmed their exceptionalist outlook is all down on them.

All it would have taken is a few moments of thought about the whole thing to realise leaving the EU meant leaving the ******* EU.
You might have heard plenty of loud voices, but I look at people like my In-Laws, they won't have watched, listened or read anything online, their view of the 'debate' will have come from The Telegraph (which has fed them thirty years of insidious poison pen stories about the EU) and, as a secondary source, the BBC which gave equal airtime to both sides and did very little on air fact checking. Yes they went with the exceptionalist outlook, but they didn't invent that outlook for themselves, there was decades of groundwork before the leave vote.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 06:09 AM   #162
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

One of the primary drivers for Brexit was to "gain control of our borders" and stopping the UK being swamped by Turks and others of a darkish hue.

We're ruining our economy and international reputation to achieve this and then suddenly, we're going to give 3 million people from Hong Kong British passports:

Quote:
Up to three million Hong Kong residents are to be offered the chance to settle in the UK and ultimately apply for citizenship, Boris Johnson has said.

The PM said Hong Kong's freedoms were being violated by a new security law and those affected would be offered a "route" out of the former UK colony.

About 350,000 UK passport holders, and 2.6 million others eligible, will be able to come to the UK for five years.

And after a further year, they will be able to apply for citizenship.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53246899

Makes you wonder about how the UK would cope with such an influx......
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 06:24 AM   #163
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

It's OK we are apparently going to build 'Hong Kong Mk2' to stick them all in either on the Humber, Clyde or top of Scotland.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 06:26 AM   #164
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Jacob Rees-Mogg Tweets

It is really happening, we are taking back control.
Quote Tweet

Priti Patel
@pritipatel
Historic moment just now in House of Commons.
@Conservatives voted to end free movement, take back control and introduce a points-based immigration system.
@UKLabour did not. Their leadership may have changed, but their determination to deny the will of the people hasn't.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 06:46 AM   #165
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
One of the primary drivers for Brexit was to "gain control of our borders" and stopping the UK being swamped by Turks and others of a darkish hue.

We're ruining our economy and international reputation to achieve this and then suddenly, we're going to give 3 million people from Hong Kong British passports:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53246899

Makes you wonder about how the UK would cope with such an influx......
Heard a Chinese spokesperson who was quite clear in saying we wouldn't actually do this. Seems sad when it is a spokesperson for a brutal regime that speaks truth about your country!

Mind you this is government back to business as usual the problem has been solved - they've made an announcement and that is as ever all they think they need to do to "fix" anything.
Old 2nd July 2020, 02:27 AM   #166
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

First details emerge of system for checks on goods crossing Irish Sea
HMRC document shows firms in Great Britain will be obliged to complete three types of electronic paperwork

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...sing-irish-sea

2016, Vote Leave to get rid of red tape

2019, There will be no forms to fill in between NI and GB

2020, Don’t forget to fill in your customs code form and the security declaration form and the Transit Accompanying Form, etc etc
Old 2nd July 2020, 02:33 AM   #167
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
HMRC document shows firms in Great Britain will be obliged to complete three types of electronic paperwork

2020, Don’t forget to fill in your customs code form and the security declaration form and the Transit Accompanying Form, etc etc
Apparently it's all Brussels' fault

If only they had agreed to all of the UK's perfectly reasonable requests for continued access to the EEA without having to adhere to any of the rules then all of this could have been avoided.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 03:10 AM   #168
Lothian
should be banned

There will also be tax* to pay on goods going from rUk to NI.

* Reclaimable on receipt of evidence the goods did not leave NI.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 03:23 AM   #169
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Couple living in France shocked they can't just stay there after brexit.

Decide a 'deal' with the local mayor is the best option...

https://threader.app/thread/1277505330885386240
It's descending into farce; almost too perfect to be real.

Quote:
His Eurostar train was cancelled but he never checked so when he turned up at St Pancras there was a row and he's now been thrown out of the station. He said "them in Brussels" cancelled the train on purpose to stop him coming over.

He's also lost his shoes.

He has a new ticket for a later train.

He's been bitten by a dog - I'm not sure what's happening

OK somewhat confusing for a while as our connection was bad and there was a lot of shouts but it seems the dog was owned by a tramp, he got into a fight with the tramp, the dog bit him and now the Police are there

He's asking if I can speak to the police to "explain everything"

OK just spoke with the police, they seemed friendly enough if a little bewildered. He had told them I was his "special legal adviser in France". They basically told the tramp to sod off and our friend to be on his way.

The police wished me "good luck" for when he arrives.
ETA: And now the account seems to have been removed. One of the last things he posted was that someone was trying to crack his password.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20

Last edited by zooterkin; 2nd July 2020 at 03:50 AM.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 04:01 AM   #170
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
It's descending into farce; almost too perfect to be real.

ETA: And now the account seems to have been removed. One of the last things he posted was that someone was trying to crack his password.
Still works for me. I think.

I take it back. I didn't realise it was a Twitter feed

Last edited by Lothian; 2nd July 2020 at 04:09 AM.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 05:50 AM   #171
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

The account is back now, but no tweets are loading.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 06:21 PM   #172
Ulf Nereng
Critical Thinker

The last entry:

There was a co-ordinated attack on my Twitter password and now my DM's are filling up with loads of attack posts by Brexit supporters including threats to me and my wife.
Ulf Nereng is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2020, 03:39 AM   #173
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Boris in LBC radio interview says he is confident of a 'very good deal' but if there isn't one we still have the "very good option" of "an Australian style arrangement"
Old 3rd July 2020, 04:21 AM   #174
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Rebranding no-deal...
Old 3rd July 2020, 11:57 AM   #175
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Boris in LBC radio interview says he is confident of a 'very good deal' but if there isn't one we still have the "very good option" of "an Australian style arrangement"
"Outer Mongolia Deal"

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2020, 03:07 PM   #176
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

Originally Posted by Ulf Nereng View Post
The last entry:
Looks like the account was deleted as it was all fake;
https://twitter.com/katebevan/status...47105180119049
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2020, 08:31 PM   #177
Ulf Nereng
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
Looks like the account was deleted as it was all fake;
https://twitter.com/katebevan/status...47105180119049
It was a funny story, though. Might make for an okay novel.
Ulf Nereng is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2020, 06:39 AM   #178
Mongrel
Begging for Scraps

It was a funny story, though. Might make for an okay novel.
I too fell for the "It's believeable enough and funny"
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science.” - Charles Darwin

...like so many contemporary philosophers he especially enjoyed giving helpful advice to people who were happier than he was. - Tom Lehrer
Mongrel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2020, 09:40 AM   #179
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mongrel View Post
I too fell for the "It's believeable enough and funny"
The slightly odd thing about it is the idea that people believing, based on the last few years, that (some) Brexiters can be that that daft and unrealistic is a slur on the people who believed it rather than an indication of how low our expectations have become due to what we've seen said and done.

Old 6th July 2020, 09:43 AM   #180
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Leave Alliance tweeted

The Leave Alliance
@LeaveHQ
These days I'm heavily sceptical of #Brexit and the mess it will surely be, but we are where we are primarily because we had to fight for it three times. Voting in good faith in a referendum wasn't enough. Remainers own this mess as much as the Tories.
Old 6th July 2020, 09:44 AM   #181
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Is there anything sadder than seeing a butthurt leave campaign organisation crying about how Brexit is going to be rubbish now because of remainers making Boris Johnson prime minister?
Old 6th July 2020, 12:30 PM   #182
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Is there anything sadder than seeing a butthurt leave campaign organisation crying about how Brexit is going to be rubbish now because of remainers making Boris Johnson prime minister?
I'm struggling to see their point. Enough remainers voted Tory to get Johnson in with a fat majority, enabling him to royally **** things up?
Old 6th July 2020, 12:42 PM   #183
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
I'm struggling to see their point. Enough remainers voted Tory to get Johnson in with a fat majority, enabling him to royally **** things up?
I think the point is "We can see how bad it's going to be and we're desperate to blame anyone else". It's the British equivalent of Trump claiming Russia is helping the democrats.

Old 6th July 2020, 01:27 PM   #184
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

they seem upset even though they got what they wanted.
Old 6th July 2020, 01:51 PM   #185
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

To be fair, most did not get what they wanted.
It's not their fault that the evil remainers did not get them the cake they were promised they could have and eat as well.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 02:33 PM   #186
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Dominic Raab
@DominicRaab
Today I will introduce a sanctions regime that will target people who have committed the gravest human rights violations. Global Britain will be an even stronger force for good in the world, in the years ahead.
Old 6th July 2020, 06:33 PM   #187
Ulf Nereng
Critical Thinker

Maybe it's that remainer Tories elected Boris to be leader of the party, knowing full well that he's an idiot who would screw everything up? That does sound kinda plausible to me!
Old 6th July 2020, 06:38 PM   #188
Ulf Nereng
Critical Thinker

Dominic Raab
@DominicRaab
Today I will introduce a sanctions regime that will target people who have committed the gravest human rights violations. Global Britain will be an even stronger force for good in the world, in the years ahead.
Okay, so... the UK will refuse to trade with some countries, then? Hmm...
Old 6th July 2020, 10:29 PM   #189
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I think they see both Theresa May and Boris Johnson as remainers in disguise who have been too willing to make a deal with the EU. OTOH a true leaver would have stuck to his guns and got the deal they eanted
Old 6th July 2020, 11:02 PM   #190
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Exactly. If only the evil remainers had not forced Farage et al to immediately step back they would have negotiated the 'True Deal'.

Now it looks like they had no plan, no strategy and no clue.
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 11:41 PM   #191
Aber
Graduate Poster

Not quite, but

Quote:
Raab said the sanctions would target 25 Russian nationals involved in the death of the Russian lawyer Sergei Magnitsky, 20 Saudi nationals involved in the murder of the journalist Khashoggi, two high-ranking generals implicated in the systemic killing of the Rohingyas in Myanmar, and two organisations using forced labour in North Korea.
https://www.theguardian.com/law/2020...rights-abusers
Aber is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 01:36 AM   #192
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

they seem upset even though they got what they wanted.
"We didn't want a victory we just wanted to fight"-New Model Army

Old 7th July 2020, 02:21 AM   #193
Wudang
BOFH

Looking forward to seeing the UK apply sanctions to the countries selling the Saudis weapons of which the main one was <checks notes> the UK. That's OK we're already applying sanctions to ourselves.
Old 7th July 2020, 03:08 AM   #194
catsmate
No longer the 1

They're now beginning to notice that Brexit is a disaster and need to find someone, anyone at all, to blame for the current disaster.
Otherwise they'd have to take responsibility...
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 03:22 AM   #195
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
They're now beginning to notice that Brexit is a disaster and need to find someone, anyone at all, to blame for the current disaster.
Otherwise they'd have to take responsibility...
I honestly think that most Brexiteers are deluded enough to think that if they were in charge of process then Johnny (or Jacques or Johann) Foreigner would have recognised their innate superiority and agreed to all of their terms.

As a result Brexit would have been a resounding success if they had been allowed to lead it.

Because we have (so far) failed to secure the trade deal they want, anyone involved with the negotiation must be a Remoaner fifth-columnist regardless of their professed enthusiasm for Brexit.
Old 7th July 2020, 03:39 AM   #196
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

This unpleasantness could all have been avoided if we had just appointed a proper Leaver to negotiate with those dreadful Europeans in the first place. Someone like Brexit Bulldog David Davis would have been ideal. He would simply and clearly have told Johnny Foreigner what our requirements were and they would meekly have conceded to his obvious natural authority.

Oh, wait. Maybe I mean he would be lazy and useless and the result would be a catastrophe.

Yes, I think that's what I meant.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 03:50 AM   #197
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
This unpleasantness could all have been avoided if we had just appointed a proper Leaver to negotiate with those dreadful Europeans in the first place. Someone like Brexit Bulldog David Davis would have been ideal. He would simply and clearly have told Johnny Foreigner what our requirements were and they would meekly have conceded to his obvious natural authority.
That's an excellent point, I cannot imagine why he was never allowed any kind of role in the Brexit negotiations. Instead they put some lazy ****-wit in charge who had a reputation for being as thick as mince and who reportedly only worked a couple of days a week. I can't remember his name for the life of me........
Old 7th July 2020, 05:31 AM   #198
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

One of the relatively few pieces of good news regarding manufacturing post-Brexit was that Ineos were intending to manufacture their new 4x4, the Grenadier (which IMO looks like a Land Rover Defender 110 in a fake moustache and glasses) next to the Ford engine works in Bridgend.

Ineos founder and CEO Sir Jim Ratcliffe is pro-Brexit and so this was an important example of someone putting their money where their mouth is (unlike other Brexit proponents who seem to be relocating their businesses overseas).

Now it seems that other alternatives have presented themselves.

Quote:
Plans to build a new 4x4 vehicle plant in Wales have been put on hold by the firm Ineos.

The company said it follows talks with Mercedes-Benz over the acquiring of their Hambach site in Moselle, France.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53317740

Personally, I think that getting into vehicle manufacturing when there is huge global over-capacity was a pretty poor business decision in any case but doing so in a country with so few trade deals seemed foolhardy to say the least.

Nothing is cast in stone at the moment, but IMO it doesn't look good for Bridgend
Old 7th July 2020, 05:54 AM   #199
catsmate
No longer the 1

I honestly think that most Brexiteers are deluded enough to think that if they were in charge of process then Johnny (or Jacques or Johann) Foreigner would have recognised their innate superiority and agreed to all of their terms.

As a result Brexit would have been a resounding success if they had been allowed to lead it.

Because we have (so far) failed to secure the trade deal they want, anyone involved with the negotiation must be a Remoaner fifth-columnist regardless of their professed enthusiasm for Brexit.
That does sound more like the Brexiteers.

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post

Oh, wait. Maybe I mean he would be lazy and useless and the result would be a catastrophe.

Yes, I think that's what I meant.
Well "lazy and useless" does sound more like Davis...
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 06:00 AM   #200
catsmate
No longer the 1

One of the relatively few pieces of good news regarding manufacturing post-Brexit was that Ineos were intending to manufacture their new 4x4, the Grenadier (which IMO looks like a Land Rover Defender 110 in a fake moustache and glasses) next to the Ford engine works in Bridgend.

Ineos founder and CEO Sir Jim Ratcliffe is pro-Brexit and so this was an important example of someone putting their money where their mouth is (unlike other Brexit proponents who seem to be relocating their businesses overseas).

Now it seems that other alternatives have presented themselves.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53317740

Personally, I think that getting into vehicle manufacturing when there is huge global over-capacity was a pretty poor business decision in any case but doing so in a country with so few trade deals seemed foolhardy to say the least.

Nothing is cast in stone at the moment, but IMO it doesn't look good for Bridgend
Ah yes, the man who felt that crashing the UK Economy was cheaper than cleaning up the pollution problems at Middlesbrough...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics