ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old 14th July 2020, 09:44 AM   #281
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Yes, the reduction of Huawei's involvement being a sop to the US is exactly what I've heard. That said, I'm not too upset by that particular bit of news, given that their involvement had been flagged up as a security risk anyway.
Yes but so has Boris Johnson's.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2020, 10:10 AM   #282
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
- compulsory English in public.
You mean they will finally stamp out the welsh language? Maybe it will all be worth it.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2020, 10:23 AM   #283
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Well, Malcolm Tucker was based on Alistair Campbell, so...
Yes, that's true.

And since Alastair Campbell was such an uncontroversial figure, attracting no criticism for acting as if he called could order government ministers around, I see no reason for anyone to object to Dominic Cummings doing the same thing now.

Or something.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2020, 12:27 PM   #284
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Yes, that's true.

And since Alastair Campbell was such an uncontroversial figure, attracting no criticism for acting as if he called could order government ministers around, I see no reason for anyone to object to Dominic Cummings doing the same thing now.

Or something.
I think the major difference is that Campbell was a bastard, whereas Cummings is a creepy bastard.
Old 14th July 2020, 12:33 PM   #285
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Brexit border check plans announced as firms face £13bn in customs costs

The net contribution to.the EU in 2018 was £11bn.

We've turned an £11bn investment into a £13bn red tape bill.

https://mirror.co.uk/news/politics/b...plans-22348413
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2020, 01:07 PM   #286
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Brexit border check plans announced as firms face £13bn in customs costs

The net contribution to.the EU in 2018 was £11bn.

We've turned an £11bn investment into a £13bn red tape bill.

https://mirror.co.uk/news/politics/b...plans-22348413
I don't know, maybe it's just me but I'm starting to get this nagging suspicion that maybe this wasn't the absolute best idea anyone ever had.

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 12:22 AM   #287
Tolls
Philosopher

But, but, but...SOVEREIGNTY!

Surely that's worth pissing billions away?!?
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 12:48 AM   #288
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, that's true.

Or something.
My point was that it's been "normal" outside of The Think Of It for a while now.

And yes, we should object to it.
Old 15th July 2020, 01:28 AM   #289
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

My point was that it's been "normal" outside of The Think Of It for a while now.

And yes, we should object to it.
Yes, fair point. The Thick Of It was parody of the late '90s reality so the figure in the shadows who's also somehow in the limelight was a subject of mockery in the Blair era too.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 09:58 AM   #290
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The new "Get ready for Brexit" radio adverts are making me cringe.
They've tried to include accents from everywhere in Britain but they couldn't afford to actually get voice actors who can actually do those accents.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th July 2020, 10:06 AM   #291
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The new "Get ready for Brexit" radio adverts are making me cringe.
They've tried to include accents from everywhere in Britain but they couldn't afford to actually get voice actors who can actually do those accents.
Probably got "old Knobby Smith from school - he always did those funny 'up north' voices"!
Old 15th July 2020, 01:19 PM   #292
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Probably got "old Knobby Smith from school - he always did those funny 'up north' voices"!
And Plebs, he can do the working class oiks too! Terribly talented chap. Probably learned it listening to the servants...

Old 16th July 2020, 01:46 AM   #293
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Welsh politicians are worried that Westminster will try a post-Brexit power grab.

Quote:
New post-Brexit trade rules must not be imposed on Wales without consent, the Welsh Government has warned.

UK government plans ask all four nations to accept rules and standards set by each other to ensure trade remains seamless across the UK.

The Welsh Government said it had not seen the plans and any system forced on Wales would be "deeply damaging".

Plaid Cymru called Whitehall's proposals a "power grab" and an undermining of devolution.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-53425094

To be honest, Brexit will be so damaging that this will only be a rounding error at worst.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2020, 02:16 AM   #294
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Brexit Party in Wales already said they will get rid of the Assembly and have a First Minister answerable to MPs.

Not that they will get very far in any election.
Old 16th July 2020, 03:13 AM   #295
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Brexit Party in Wales already said they will get rid of the Assembly and have a First Minister answerable to MPs.

Not that they will get very far in any election.

Yeah but to be fair they're the marketing dept for "Keep Farage In The Limelight Inc" not a political party.

Old 16th July 2020, 10:51 AM   #296
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ister-confirms

They really have no shame:

.... The Department for Transport has signed off on the*purchase of a vast site in Kent*for a Brexit border facility and confirmed that it will be partly used as a giant lorry park just days after the cabinet ministerMichael Gove insisted that was not the “intention”....
Old 16th July 2020, 12:00 PM   #297
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ister-confirms

They really have no shame:

.... The Department for Transport has signed off on the*purchase of a vast site in Kent*for a Brexit border facility and confirmed that it will be partly used as a giant lorry park just days after the cabinet ministerMichael Gove insisted that was not the “intention”....
It's going to be a complete **** storm
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2020, 12:25 PM   #298
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Yeah but to be fair they're the marketing dept for "Keep Farage In The Limelight Inc" not a political party.
In fairness nothing this government does is what was intended.

Old 16th July 2020, 12:44 PM   #299
Mojo
Mostly harmless

In fairness nothing this government does is what was intended.

Up to and including Brexit.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2020, 01:34 PM   #300
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Up to and including Brexit.
Especially Brexit. Losing Winning that vote was where it all started to go off plan.

Old 17th July 2020, 02:59 AM   #301
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

In the non-US covid thread the Carbolic Smoke Ball Company case has been mentioned, it's years since I studied it, but from what I recall the defense stated that their claims were so obviously hyperbolic that no-one could take them seriously and that therefore they couldn't be held to their very public promises...

We have the Carbolic Smoke Brexit Government.

In other news the ISC has voted unanimously to release the Russian interference report, suggesting that the four Tories were more concerned with how opposing releasing it would look to the public once the contents were known than they were Johnson and Cummings. The government has responded with a dead cat claiming Russia was helping Labour at the last election, presumably this was between "helping Hilary" and (really) sending cash to Boris....

The report is due for release next week, sadly Parliament is going on summer break and I don't believe there will be a PMQs after it's release(probably explaining the timing of reconvening the committee).

Old 17th July 2020, 12:09 PM   #302
ZeeGerman
Graduate Poster

Poor Brittania

I've just come across an article about the queen knighting that Captain Tom guy. And it's a great story, the like of which we have too few these times.

But then, looking at that picture this thought shot through my mind which made laugh and at the same time think "what a cluster fudge ..." From what you see about the UK in the German media, these two ar the best in terms of public figures, Britain has to offer right now

&
Old 17th July 2020, 12:16 PM   #303
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Yes, fair point. The Thick Of It was parody of the late '90s reality so the figure in the shadows who's also somehow in the limelight was a subject of mockery in the Blair era too.

Our current government looks like a parody of The Thick Of It.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 03:42 PM   #304
3point14
Pi

FFS.

I wonder what I'll be making in the sweat shops.

https://www.businessinsider.com/leak...20-7?r=US&IR=T

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 11:35 PM   #305
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

US cars and SUVs don't meet UK safety standards - especially pedestrian collision standards but Boris Johnson is determined to have them included.

UK/US trade deal, if the chicken doesn't kill you, the Chrysler will.
Old 18th July 2020, 01:57 AM   #306
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
US cars and SUVs don't meet UK safety standards - especially pedestrian collision standards but Boris Johnson is determined to have them included.

The car insurance industry and petrol prices should take care of that. Mind you one of my neighbours has just bought herself an American 'truck' that's almost the size of the houses around here so you never know...

Old 18th July 2020, 03:59 AM   #307
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ZeeGerman View Post
I've just come across an article about the queen knighting that Captain Tom guy. And it's a great story, the like of which we have too few these times.

But then, looking at that picture this thought shot through my mind which made laugh and at the same time think "what a cluster fudge ..." From what you see about the UK in the German media, these two ar the best in terms of public figures, Britain has to offer right now

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...1f50164cb2.jpg&
My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die!
Old 18th July 2020, 06:47 AM   #308
ZeeGerman
Graduate Poster

Old 18th July 2020, 10:39 AM   #309
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I'll see if I can find it tomorrow, but there was a great image doing the rounds of the two of them when they were still far away from each other, and the Mortal Kombat "FIGHT!" graphic had been photoshopped in.
Old 18th July 2020, 10:42 AM   #310
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Anyway, I'm not really on-board with the Captain Tom stuff. I mean, God bless him, and all, but what was he doing? Raising money for the NHS. My main takeaway is that it's a terrible state of affairs when a pensioner war veteran has to spearhead a national fundraising campaign for an institution that is supposed to be funded by the government, and which was promised all the resources it needs.

Honestly, I think it's shameful.
Old 18th July 2020, 12:22 PM   #311
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Anyway, I'm not really on-board with the Captain Tom stuff. I mean, God bless him, and all, but what was he doing? Raising money for the NHS. My main takeaway is that it's a terrible state of affairs when a pensioner war veteran has to spearhead a national fundraising campaign for an institution that is supposed to be funded by the government, and which was promised all the resources it needs.

I completely agree, but isn't it a great distraction?

Old 18th July 2020, 12:24 PM   #312
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

That's FIAT-Chrysler to you, Limey! Oh wait, you're in Wales. Carry on then.
Old 18th July 2020, 12:28 PM   #313
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

The car insurance industry and petrol prices should take care of that. Mind you one of my neighbours has just bought herself an American 'truck' that's almost the size of the houses around here so you never know...
The worst thing about those full house-sized American trucks is that they all have four-wheel drive and four full doors. So you need a ladder to get in and, unless you're willing to have it over 20 feet long, a cargo bed too short to put my little trebuchet in.

I have a 2005 Ford Ranger for my hurling vehicle. The Ranger has been out of production for a while but they are bringing it back. The new one will be about 50% bigger than mine.
Old 18th July 2020, 01:06 PM   #314
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
The worst thing about those full house-sized American trucks is that they all have four-wheel drive and four full doors. So you need a ladder to get in and, unless you're willing to have it over 20 feet long, a cargo bed too short to put my little trebuchet in.

I have a 2005 Ford Ranger for my hurling vehicle. The Ranger has been out of production for a while but they are bringing it back. The new one will be about 50% bigger than mine.
Yeah, I can't figure it out, she has a shop selling window blinds so if she's using it for work I'D have thought a small van (or a 4x4 with a roof rack and custom cargo box) would be way more practical, because it has back seats the cargo area on the monster is about the same as a small van like a Twingo but really, really shallow, and parking it must be an utter, utter nightmare, we're just outside Oxford and I remember one wine tasting where I could barely park my Tigra and get it out through the street. I mean seriously, I have an old, second Gen Rav4 as my work vehicle and I can get a full sized kitchen appliance in the back without taking the back seats out, she'd have to lose the hard cover on the deck, and mine takes up half the footprint.

Old 20th July 2020, 03:31 AM   #315
Garrison
Philosopher

Yeah, I can't figure it out, she has a shop selling window blinds so if she's using it for work I'D have thought a small van (or a 4x4 with a roof rack and custom cargo box) would be way more practical, because it has back seats the cargo area on the monster is about the same as a small van like a Twingo but really, really shallow, and parking it must be an utter, utter nightmare, we're just outside Oxford and I remember one wine tasting where I could barely park my Tigra and get it out through the street. I mean seriously, I have an old, second Gen Rav4 as my work vehicle and I can get a full sized kitchen appliance in the back without taking the back seats out, she'd have to lose the hard cover on the deck, and mine takes up half the footprint.
I've seen this discussed before and its seems to be largely a psychological thing, the high driving position and sheer size of the vehicle makes drivers feel more secure even if its wholly impractical and a menace to pedestrians.
Old 20th July 2020, 03:44 AM   #316
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Arron Banks’ Leave.EU campaign team met with Russian embassy officials as many as 11 times in the run-up to the EU referendum and in the two months beyond, documents seen by the Observer suggest – seven more times than Banks has admitted. The same documents suggest the Russian embassy extended a further four invitations to Brexit’s biggest funder, but it is not known if they were accepted.

It is the third time the number of such meetings has been revised upwards. For two years, Banks insisted his only contact with the Russian government consisted of one “boozy lunch” with the Russian ambassador.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ny-as-11-times
Old 20th July 2020, 04:34 AM   #317
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Arron Banks has called on the Commons intelligence committee to show him any references in the Russia report that reference his name before the document is published.

He claims that he should be allowed to input into the report so that he can dispute any false allegations about himself

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top...port-1-6753893
Old 20th July 2020, 06:42 AM   #318
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

No, he was raising money for NHS charities not the NHS proper.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th July 2020, 09:11 AM   #319
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Then take everything that I've said and apply it to the fact that the NHS even has charities.
Old 20th July 2020, 10:52 AM   #320
Gulliver Foyle
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
Quite likely, I agree. Northern Ireland would also follow in some fashion, perhaps as an independent state that seeks to unify with ROI, whether that happens or not. After what we've seen UK would the dismemberment too.

McHrozni
Northern Ireland will vote to reunite with Ireland when the border poll is allowed to go ahead. As the last two elections in the North have shown the nationalist share of the vote is now over 50% and with the teenage population being close to 55-45 in favour of nationalist communities that disparity is going to widen.

Add in parties like Alliance and the Northern Greens (who are mainly composed of unionists who are reconciling themselves to reuinficiation) who would likely push for reunification when a bad Brexit happens and you could see a vote in, say, ten years time pushing near to 60% for reunification.

Arlene's best allies at the moment are the "32 county republicans" of Fianna Fail and Fine Gael, who are more afraid of what reunification would do to their chances of ever getting into government again than protecting the rights of the nationalist community under the GFA.
Gulliver Foyle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics