IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Old 10th January 2021, 07:08 AM   #3201
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
UK ‘rejected offer’ of visa-free tours by musicians in EU, despite blaming Brussels it appears the stumbling block was Priti Patel’s immigration crackdown which has introduced tough restrictions on tours by EU musicians.
Also pretty tough from a customs POV. Musicians from the EU used to have tariff free access for their kit. Now they’ll most likely need to pay a guarantee up front that they’ll re-export the kit, then claim it back.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 07:19 AM   #3202
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

I wonder, would UK businesses have a case suing all those involved in the Brexit referendum like Farage for lost moneys now that it's starting to turn out that the promises were all lies and their actions are now causing those companies a loss?
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 09:01 AM   #3203
catsmate
No longer the 1

Government to let farmers use bee-killing pesticide banned in EU

A bee-killing pesticide so poisonous that it is banned by the EU may be used on sugar beet in England, the government has announced.
The decision prompted fury from nature-lovers and environmentalists, who accused ministers of bowing to pressure from farmers.
They said during the biodiversity crisis, when at least half the world’s insects have disappeared, the government should be doing everything it could to save bees, not allow them to be killed.

Environment secretary George Eustice has agreed to let a product containing the neonicotinoid thiamethoxam to treat sugar beet seed this year in an effort to protect the crop from a virus.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1784693.html
The 'race to the bottom' has begun; neonics are banned in most places, except the US and now the UK.

Weren't the Brexiteers busily claiming that the post-EU UK could improve environmental laws? Where are they now?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th January 2021, 09:12 AM   #3204
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
The 'race to the bottom' has begun; neonics are banned in most places, except the US and now the UK.

Weren't the Brexiteers busily claiming that the post-EU UK could improve environmental laws? Where are they now?
Nonsense! It’s just sensible good old British Bulldog common sense, we don’t eat bees so what harm does it do!

Also an entirely unsurprising “let them eat cake”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1783331.html

Quote:
...snip...

A leading Tory credited with inspiring Brexit has urged Boris Johnson to cull a raft of EU consumer and worker protections, now the UK has the freedom to act.

...snip...

* the Temporary Workers’ Directive – which guarantees agency staff receive equal pay and conditions with employees in the same business.

* the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) – that gives individuals control over their personal data and limits its transfer to other countries.

* the ban on products made from genetically modified (GM) crops – potentially allowing US food derived that way into the UK, as part of a future trade deal.

* the REACH Directive – to outlaw chemicals linked to health problems including cancer, thyroid disease, hormone disruption and slow development.

* the End of Life Vehicles Directive – to achieve environmentally-friendly dismantling and recycling, with targets for the reuse of vehicles and their components.

* the Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive (AIFMD) – introduced to regulate hedge funds and private equity following the 2008 financial crash.

* the ‘Droit de suite’ rules – that pay artists a fee on the resale of their works of art, instead of the American ‘first-sale doctrine’ that removes rights from subsequent sales.

* “chunks of” the Markets in Financial Instruments Directive (MiFID II) – the legal framework to harmonise regulation of securities markets and trading venues.

...snip....
His article itself if you want the full details: https://www.conservativehome.com/the...this-mess.html

Oh and one other little thing that I will watch eagerly to see how it plays out - apparently there isn’t a way for EU au pairs to come to the UK now... expect that one to be “sorted out” pretty quickly.
Old 10th January 2021, 09:13 AM   #3205
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Why does the phrase “death by a thousand cuts” keep passing through my mind?
Old 11th January 2021, 05:20 AM   #3206
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1784312.html

“ UK fishermen halting exports to EU as ‘catastrophe’ Brexit bureaucracy renders business unviable”
British fish for British people.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 06:33 AM   #3207
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

John Redwood tweets

@johnredwood
There are big opportunities for U.K. business in import substitution. Let’s cut the food miles by growing more at home. We need to increase the amount of U.K. value added in manufactures by making more components here, simplifying supply chains and creating more jobs.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 06:38 AM   #3208
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Vegetable plots in your backyard, your children manufacturing stuff at home during lockdown, back to the Blitz!
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 06:39 AM   #3209
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

John Redwood tweets

@johnredwood
There are big opportunities for U.K. business in import substitution. Let’s cut the food miles by growing more at home. We need to increase the amount of U.K. value added in manufactures by making more components here, simplifying supply chains and creating more jobs.
I wonder why we haven't done that before now.

Could it be that it couldn't be done, or that it couldn't be done cost effectively ?

Another Brexit "benefit", higher consumer prices.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 06:44 AM   #3210
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

He hassupporters
(Quite a few actually, all posting something like this)

JC #Where'sHunter
@JayCee7044
We did it during a word war - our parents/grandparents 'dug for victory'. Our manufacturing soared, so I can't see a reason why we can't do this.
Let's relaunch I'm backing Britain

Bernadette Packer
@BernadettePack5
I'm growing my own lemons. We should be sticking more British produce in our supermarkets, and if affordable use our butchers, farm shops etc.

Martha Ella
@martianmushroom
We could grow and manufacture the foods items that we can, the obtain others from elsewhere.
Not the amount that we have done from 1970 onwards. People will HAVE to work or be hungry

Margot Parker
@MargotLJParker
Absolutely it's a no brainer hurrah for common sense!

justthetruthpls
@MikeStannard4
Yes. BRITISH PRODUCE IS THE BEST WE CAN BUY. BRITISH CHEESE IS BETTER THAN FRENCH BUY BRITISH AND SAVE BRITISH JOBS. PLS RT
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 07:08 AM   #3211
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I wonder why we haven't done that before now.
All my attempts to grow bananas, oranges and peaches to substitute imports have so far failed. But I'm sure now we are out of the EU and not constrained by EU rules I will have 400 days a year of sun.
Old 11th January 2021, 07:16 AM   #3212
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

John Redwood tweets

@johnredwood
Wow. Bloody hell, what a fantastic idea, businesses should operate as businesses, if we hadn't had the keen intellect of Redwood to point this out no one in business would ever have thought of this.
Old 11th January 2021, 07:20 AM   #3213
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

He hassupporters

JC #Where'sHunter
@JayCee7044
We did it during a word war - our parents/grandparents 'dug for victory'. Our manufacturing soared, so I can't see a reason why we can't do this.
Of course there was food rationing until the mid-50's and despite all the efforts of "dig for victory" the Atlantic convoys were still important for supplying the UK with food. Then again Brexit has always been fuelled by a constant stream of lies so why should it be any different this time around.

Bernadette Packer
@BernadettePack5
I'm growing my own lemons. We should be sticking more British produce in our supermarkets, and if affordable use our butchers, farm shops etc.
Good for you.

Of course not everyone has the resources to grow their own lemons and not all year around.

It's not affordable for many to use butchers and farm shops which is why supermarkets and discount retailers exist. It's also pretty difficult to get to a farm shop if you live in and inner city sink estate.

Martha Ella
@martianmushroom
We could grow and manufacture the foods items that we can, the obtain others from elsewhere.
Not the amount that we have done from 1970 onwards. People will HAVE to work or be hungry
Ah yes, the golden days of the 1970s where British was a byword for quality and affordability

Remind me again how the far Eastern manufacturers managed to thrive ?

I wonder if she will change her tune if she is forced to work for under-subsistence wages.

Margot Parker
@MargotLJParker
I guess having no brain does assist significantly in agreeing with John Redwood.

justthetruthpls
@MikeStannard4
Yes. BRITISH PRODUCE IS THE BEST WE CAN BUY. BRITISH CHEESE IS BETTER THAN FRENCH BUY BRITISH AND SAVE BRITISH JOBS. PLS RT
In some cases it is, it's often also very expensive.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 07:21 AM   #3214
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
All my attempts to grow bananas, oranges and peaches to substitute imports have so far failed. But I'm sure now we are out of the EU and not constrained by EU rules I will have 400 days a year of sun.
tbh if the likes of John Redwood get their way they climate change would spiral out of control and we'll either be able to grow bananas here or the Atlantic conveyor will change course and we'll become an arctic wasteland.
Old 11th January 2021, 09:50 AM   #3215
Mojo
Mostly harmless

He hassupporters

JC #Where'sHunter
@JayCee7044

Bernadette Packer
@BernadettePack5

Martha Ella
@martianmushroom

Margot Parker
@MargotLJParker

justthetruthpls
@MikeStannard4

"If you caught a fish, then whoever you sold it to, they wouldn't have to pay for it, and the profits would go to the fish."

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 10:17 AM   #3216
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

He hassupporters
Bernadette Packer
@BernadettePack5
Whoopee. We'll be growing our own parsley soon, too. That'll show the EU!

It takes about 2 acres to keep a family of 4 in veg and ground fruits alone for a year. The typical household patch of a garden makes sod all difference to food requirements. It can be rewarding to grow stuff, but it's little more than a hobby.

******* morons.
Old 11th January 2021, 10:28 AM   #3217
Nessie
Penultimate Amazing

Farage has recruited an ex-Tory MSP to lead his new party in Scotland.

https://news.stv.tv/politics/msp-to-...n-scotland?top

Apparently unions of countries are now a good thing.
Old 11th January 2021, 11:36 AM   #3218
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
"If you caught a fish, then whoever you sold it to, they wouldn't have to pay for it, and the profits would go to the fish."
L & H
Old 11th January 2021, 12:40 PM   #3219
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Nessie View Post
Farage has recruited an ex-Tory MSP to lead his new party in Scotland.

https://news.stv.tv/politics/msp-to-...n-scotland?top

Apparently unions of countries are now a good thing.
So not for Scottxit?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 01:27 PM   #3220
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
Vegetable plots in your backyard, your children manufacturing stuff at home during lockdown, back to the Blitz!
I think I got a 3D printer at the right time, I can become a god among men printing plastic widgets for my neighbours and lord it over them by eating twice a week!

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 01:31 PM   #3221
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

I have an eight month old lime tree on my windowsill that I'm tending obsessively in anticipation of cocktails to come. I'm not convinced it's a suitable basis for a commercial venture though.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2021, 04:37 PM   #3222
catsmate
No longer the 1

We can grow bananas and coffee beans in Ireland....
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 03:10 AM   #3223
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Dutch officials seize ham sandwiches from British drivers

Quote:
”Welcome to Brexit, sir, I’m sorry.”

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 03:22 AM   #3224
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Does this mean any gammons attempting to enter Europe are going to be impounded?
Old 12th January 2021, 03:25 AM   #3225
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Why would they leave the UK in the first place? Now that the EU is gone they live in the land of milk and honey with unlimited resources that needs not trade with anyone eve5 right?
Old 12th January 2021, 04:11 AM   #3226
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Why would they leave the UK in the first place? Now that the EU is gone they live in the land of milk and honey with unlimited resources that needs not trade with anyone eve5 right?
Old 12th January 2021, 04:26 AM   #3227
malbui
Beauf

I left the UK 23 years ago but as soon as Covid restrictions are lifted I'm heading right back. Can't wait to feel that sovereignty.
Old 12th January 2021, 07:17 AM   #3228
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by malbui View Post
I left the UK 23 years ago but as soon as Covid restrictions are lifted I'm heading right back. Can't wait to feel that sovereignty.
You can proudly show off your new Blue passport as you triumphantly return home. You can pick it up from the French manufacturer 'en route' as we say in England. Of course after so long away you will have to familiarise yourself with the mother tongue vis-à-vis the foreign phrases other lesser languages import.

Last edited by Lothian; 12th January 2021 at 07:20 AM.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 12:29 PM   #3229
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Noooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT PERCY PIG

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55583244
What about Colin the Caterpillar..?

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 11:22 PM   #3230
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

*brexiteer mode on*
The food parcels WERE so bad because of EU rules forbidding a better package
The food parcels ARE so bad because of EU rules preventing the needed stuff entering.
*brexiteer mode off*

It's really easy
Old 13th January 2021, 03:23 AM   #3231
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

This is a Brexit related comment in the twitter thread

"That’s because there’s to many mouths to feed with all the invaders coming over in dingys theres not enough to go round!"
Old 13th January 2021, 03:50 AM   #3232
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

"That’s because there’s to many mouths to feed with all the invaders coming over in dingys theres not enough to go round!"
Coming over in dingy whats though? At this time of year everything will be a bit drab.
Guybrush Threepwood is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 04:01 AM   #3233
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

"We just came for the English food".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Web_Photo_Editor (21).jpg (63.4 KB, 5 views)

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 04:30 AM   #3234
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Just had a notification from UPS that there is a parcel for me. Because it is from the UK unless I have a Finnish ID I will have to pay €17.85 per diem after three days. This never happened before. They are calling it 'Customs Clearance'.

I hope they deliver to my door as my car is underneath a whole pile of snow and the oil light is flashing.

I don't really understand why a non-Finn would have to pay customs clearance from the UK. That doesn't quite make sense.

Old 13th January 2021, 05:36 AM   #3235
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Just had a notification from UPS that there is a parcel for me. Because it is from the UK unless I have a Finnish ID I will have to pay €17.85 per diem after three days. This never happened before. They are calling it 'Customs Clearance'.

I hope they deliver to my door as my car is underneath a whole pile of snow and the oil light is flashing.

I don't really understand why a non-Finn would have to pay customs clearance from the UK. That doesn't quite make sense.
It is down to where the goods are going from and to not the nationality of the recipient.
Although there is no customs duty between the UK and the EU there may be import taxes (VAT) there will also need to be a customs declaration. I suspect companies like UPS will offer to do the customs declaration for sellers giving them the choice to pay UPS for completing the declaration or passing on UPS's cost to the customer.

As all of this is new for trade between the UK and EU I expect rampant profiteering until people get used to the charges and we get proper competition. I suspect the Finnish ID is part of that profiteering.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 12:02 PM   #3236
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Fresh seafood exports from Scotland to EU halted until 18 January

Old 13th January 2021, 12:04 PM   #3237
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Ha that will finally bring the EU to its knees!
Old 13th January 2021, 02:06 PM   #3238
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

World beating export delays!

What a win for the fishing industry. The fish they can catch they don't have a local market and can't export. The fish they can sell locally they can no longer catch because they can't do quota exchanges and no longer have access to EU waters or waters off countries like Norway that have deals with the EU.

This super-trawler has been sitting in port since Dec because it has no rights to catch fish anywhere.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-humber-55621259

Quote:
The 81m (266ft) vessel, which has been moored in Hull since December, catches up to 2.3m fish in each week-long trip, in waters off the coasts of Norway, Greenland and the Faroe Islands.

Its owners, UK Fisheries, said Kirkella supplied between 8-12% of all fish sold in UK fish and chip shops
Old 13th January 2021, 05:42 PM   #3239
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
World beating export delays!

What a win for the fishing industry. The fish they can catch they don't have a local market and can't export. The fish they can sell locally they can no longer catch because they can't do quota exchanges and no longer have access to EU waters or waters off countries like Norway that have deals with the EU.

This super-trawler has been sitting in port since Dec because it has no rights to catch fish anywhere.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-humber-55621259
"Downing Street has said Boris Johnson maintains confidence in the fisheries minister after she admitted not reading the post-Brexit trade deal with Brussels when it was agreed because she was busy organising a nativity trail."

linky

ffs
Old 13th January 2021, 10:53 PM   #3240
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
"Downing Street has said Boris Johnson maintains confidence in the fisheries minister after she admitted not reading the post-Brexit trade deal with Brussels when it was agreed because she was busy organising a nativity trail."

linky

ffs
Ye gods, the EU really dropped the ball there. They could have put in a clause that a part of the agreement is that the UK starts using the Euro and it would have been signed.
Good thing the UK elected such competent leaders to return them to Imperial Glory.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics