ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 18th June 2020, 11:35 AM   #41
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Wonder what the point of that is.

His supporters probably don't care exactly what judges he picks, as long as they are willing to oppress women and minorities. But if he provides a list that has some... questionable... individuals, it could backfire, since the Democrats can concentrate on the worst possible individuals on his list as an example of what Trump will do if he isn't stopped.
Trump is doing something stupid to appeal to his base? You don't say.
Old 18th June 2020, 11:36 AM   #42
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

In his WSJ interview, Trump spends nearly 300 words—unprompted—defending his walk down the ramp at West Point.

"If you would have seen this ramp, it was like an ice skating rink.”

Also his saluting, a general said "That's amazing no other president would have been able to do it"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/transcr...al-11592501000
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 11:37 AM   #43
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Already happened in the UK. As the premier league restarted, all players took a knee including the match officials.
https://news.sky.com/story/black-liv...turns-12008964

ETA: It should be mentioned that it was after kick-off, i.e. in the actual match, not pre- or post- match.
And even the Daily Express reported it as "a respectful salute" (their words).

So Dominic Raab actually managed to have a worse take on that than the Express. Which is an achievement of sorts, even for someone who only recently learned of the importance of Dover to UK trade.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 11:39 AM   #44
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
A coded "If you don't elect me in 2020 da libruls are going to get to pick the next SCOTUS and make abortions mandatory and take away your guns and install Sharia Law and ban apple pie" message to his followers.
The reality will be so much worse: we're going to take away guns, implement Shakira law, and apple pie won't be banned but it will be full of abortifacients, following a Mary Berry recipe. Guaranteed no soggy bottoms, then or nine months later!
Old 18th June 2020, 11:39 AM   #45
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Re: Trump's list of potential supreme court nominees....
Quote:
A coded "If you don't elect me in 2020 da libruls are going to get to pick the next SCOTUS and make abortions mandatory and take away your guns and install Sharia Law and ban apple pie" message to his followers.
Yes, but he doesn't have to give a list of potential judges to spread that message. Just his general "vote for me and I'll give you right wing judges" rhetoric would do that, without getting into the nitty-gritty of actually identifying potential judges.

Your average MAGA-moron isn't going to care that "Judge X made these anti-abortion rulings", but the opposition will now be about to research these judges ahead of time and say "Did you know Judge X kicks puppies?" And Trump will have to defend the worst possible person on the list.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 11:42 AM   #46
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Quote:
A disgruntled boring fool who only wanted to go to war.
Trump isn't wrong about the hilighted part.

Except everybody and his dog, Democrat, Republican, or otherwise, knew this about Bolton before Trump hired him. So Trump gets no credit for finally realizing this.

Just another stupid decision in his long list of stupid decisions.
Old 18th June 2020, 11:42 AM   #47
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Quote:

His supporters probably don't care exactly what judges he picks, as long as they are willing to oppress women and minorities. But if he provides a list that has some... questionable... individuals, it could backfire, since the Democrats can concentrate on the worst possible individuals on his list as an example of what Trump will do if he isn't stopped.
Trump is doing something stupid to appeal to his base? You don't say.
Yeah, I know... Trump is famous for doing stupid things, especially stuff that appeals to his base.

But this is something that would actually take effort. A waste of energy that could be better spent on the golf course.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 11:43 AM   #48
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yes, but he doesn't have to give a list of potential judges to spread that message. Just his general "vote for me and I'll give you right wing judges" rhetoric would do that, without getting into the nitty-gritty of actually identifying potential judges.

Your average MAGA-moron isn't going to care that "Judge X made these anti-abortion rulings", but the opposition will now be about to research these judges ahead of time and say "Did you know Judge X kicks puppies?" And Trump will have to defend the worst possible person on the list.
Because "Scared of a Librual uprising" is half his base and "Anything that will create drama" is the other half and that covers both.

Half his supporters will be terrified of a judge on SCOTUS who doesn't pray to the Baby Jeebus 10 times a day, the other half just want to watch "Da Libruls" act "dramatic" about something again.
Old 18th June 2020, 11:44 AM   #49
slyjoe
Graduate Poster

Yeah, I know... Trump is famous for doing stupid things, especially stuff that appeals to his base.

But this is something that would actually take effort. A waste of energy that could be better spent on the golf course.
What effort? Don't the Federalist guys have the list already?

This is all another distraction.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 11:54 AM   #50
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
In his WSJ interview, Trump spends nearly 300 words—unprompted—defending his walk down the ramp at West Point.

Also his saluting, a general said "That's amazing no other president would have been able to do it"

Trump has high lifts in his shoes, which do indeed make the ramp much steeper for him than it would have been for someone less vain.
Old 18th June 2020, 12:07 PM   #51
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

I had to double check this story before I believed it.

This morning, President Trump asserted that he made Juneteenth famous. He claims no one had heard of it until this week. His moving the date of the Tulsa rally made Juneteenth famous.

ETA
Not many people know this, but I made Memorial Day famous. Yep. That was me.

Last edited by Ladewig; 18th June 2020 at 12:09 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 12:15 PM   #52
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Another incredibly racist and mindblowingly stupid statement by the presidolt:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EazjRGFW...g&name=900x900

He assumes that if he doesn’t know about something, nobody knows about it. It’s as if he lacks a theory of mind.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 12:21 PM   #53
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Already happened in the UK. As the premier league restarted, all players took a knee including the match officials.
https://news.sky.com/story/black-liv...turns-12008964

ETA: It should be mentioned that it was after kick-off, i.e. in the actual match, not pre- or post- match.

No, it was before the kick-off, after the silence for coronavirus victims.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 12:37 PM   #54
C_Felix
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post

This morning, President Trump asserted that he made Juneteenth famous. He claims no one had heard of it until this week. His moving the date of the Tulsa rally made Juneteenth famous.

ETA
Remember when he tweeted to "Save the date", that date being July 4th? As if this was some new idea or concept?
Old 18th June 2020, 12:56 PM   #55
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Because "Scared of a Librual uprising" is half his base and "Anything that will create drama" is the other half and that covers both.

Half his supporters will be terrified of a judge on SCOTUS who doesn't pray to the Baby Jeebus 10 times a day, the other half just want to watch "Da Libruls" act "dramatic" about something again.
Again though, he didn't need to actually give names of potential judges to do all that. Just stick to general statements about "I will appoint judges that are the most right-wing god fearing of all" would do so. Nobody is going to suspect Trump will nominate a left wing atheist lesbian to the courts.

I know Trump is a poor strategist. I know whatever reasoning he has sounded good inside that empty skull of his. I'm just saying its a poor strategy to give Democrats ammunition like that when it doesn't really provide any benefit to Stubby McBonespurs.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 18th June 2020, 01:07 PM   #56
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
It is amusing how clever the CHAN crowd thinks it is. As if only they can figure out the origin of symbols.
I've been making fun of this ever since Charlottesville. The rally was absolutely lousy with borrowed Nazi symbols that the bearers apparently must've thought nobody would recognize because they weren't swastikas (although there were a few of those, too).
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 01:19 PM   #57
dmaker
Graduate Poster

I find this rather amusing. During a televised roundtable today, Trump got bored I guess and pulls out his phone to play with while a young woman is speaking about the difficulty of managing her business through the corona virus crisis.

He pulls out his phone around the 1:23:24 mark:

https://youtu.be/OGce64vusXs

EDIT: I think he got irked when she mentioned that the virus continued beyond Easter. At 1:23:13 she says "..as the virus continued past Easter..". Trump then makes his frowny face and reaches for his phone, which he continues to play with during the next womans speech as well.

Not terribly respectful for the people who travelled there and were probably pretty nervous and/or excited for the opportunity, only to have him sit there and pay no attention to them while playing with his phone.

Last edited by dmaker; 18th June 2020 at 01:37 PM.
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 01:32 PM   #58
Belz...
Fiend God

To be entirely fair to him, looking at the video it seems like his legs are slipping on the ramp, so maybe it was slippery.

300 words is way too much, however.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 01:34 PM   #59
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Absolutely. Trump fear mongering at its best.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 01:34 PM   #60
Belz...
Fiend God

ETA
Never heard of it. It's a stupid name, so I'd like to believe Trump came up with it.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 02:14 PM   #61
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I saw it reported on TV as actually during the game; so, after the whistle blew, but they didn't actually kick off until after the kneeling.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 02:15 PM   #62
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

ETA
I had to look it up; but then, I'm not President of the country it is celebrated in.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 02:15 PM   #63
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Nope. The ref whistled for kick off and everyone dropped to one knee, even the officials. It was in match time. Attempting to deny it is, well, rather odd.

Watch the video. You can even see the countdown to kick off on the mega screens and I know people who watched it live.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npqKrqv4w5U

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 02:32 PM   #64
Tero
Graduate Poster

How many months more, years?, will it take for Trump voters to notice that all he does is talk? This China tweet for example:
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonal...06102023237633

From Eugene Gu:

Trump says one thing, and then begs China and President Xi behind the scenes to buy America’s agricultural products and help him win re-election. Meanwhile, he makes so many products and MAGA hats in China while Ivanka has her shoe factories there. It is the epitome of hypocrisy.

AND:

A complete decoupling from China would involve Trump taking his head all the way out of President Xi’s butt, which may be medically and anatomically impossible at this point because he went so far in that he’s trapped at the ileocecal valve.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 04:29 PM   #65
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

At a 'Round Table' event today Trump took out a phone and appeared to be scrolling through it as two female guests told personal stories about how PPP loans had helped their small businesses.

"It’s not about me so I don’t care what you have to say"
Trump makes no secret of his misogynistic attitude and rude behaviour towards women and people he considers to be inferior.
If you're not a rich and/or beautiful Trump campaign donor **** off.

He didn't hear one word that was said and sat there reading his Twitter comments.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 04:32 PM   #66
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

First thing the anarchists did upon taking over Seattle was “BUILD A WALL”. See, I was ahead of our times!

It was not Ambassador Lighthizer’s fault (yesterday in Committee) in that perhaps I didn’t make myself clear, but the U.S. certainly does maintain a policy option, under various conditions, of a complete decoupling from China. Thank you!
Old 18th June 2020, 04:34 PM   #67
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

We are fortunate that all he does is talk when it comes to taking military action. If it was up to Bolton we'd be at war with Iran and North Korea, in addition to Iraq and Afghanistan. Probably Venezuela as well.

Bolton's a chickenhawk, of course.
Old 18th June 2020, 04:39 PM   #68
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Considering there are no vacancies in the Supreme Court at the moment, Trump's tweeted comments look like a threat directed at the current justices.
Specifically those in the GOP that aren’t currently falling in line.

Does Trump think he can fire a Supreme Court Judge?
Old 18th June 2020, 04:42 PM   #69
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

We are fortunate that all he does is talk when it comes to taking military action. If it was up to Bolton we'd be at war with Iran and North Korea, in addition to Iraq and Afghanistan. Probably Venezuela as well.

Bolton's a chickenhawk, of course.
Snicker. Well, he does have that look...oh, wait, you meant in the other sense. Never mind! Until someone writes a book about him, anyway.
Old 18th June 2020, 04:56 PM   #70
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Trump Tweets

I will be releasing a new list of Conservative Supreme Court Justice nominees, which may include some, or many of those already on the list, by September 1, 2020. If given the opportunity, I will only choose from this list, as in the past, a Conservative Supreme Court Justice...
Considering there are no vacancies in the Supreme Court at the moment, Trump's tweeted comments look like a threat directed at the current justices.

Maybe he wants one of the anti-choice and/or 2nd Amendment people to "do" something. Remember this?

Quote:
Hillary wants to abolish, essentially abolish, the Second Amendment. By the way, and if she gets to pick --if she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks. Although the Second Amendment people, maybe there is, I don't know. But I'll tell you what, that will be a horrible day, if -- if -- Hillary gets to put her judges in.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 04:59 PM   #71
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Snicker. Well, he does have that look...oh, wait, you meant in the other sense. Never mind! Until someone writes a book about him, anyway.
Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
Old 18th June 2020, 05:02 PM   #72
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
Uh, yes there is.
Old 18th June 2020, 05:30 PM   #73
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

He probably did when he took office, and is still pissed that someone told him he couldn't.

And if he loses in November but the R's retain the Senate, not one Federal Judge at any level will be confirmed for two years.
Old 18th June 2020, 05:38 PM   #74
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

He probably did when he took office, and is still pissed that someone told him he couldn't.

And if he loses in November but the R's retain the Senate, not one Federal Judge at any level will be confirmed for two years.
Not necessarily. Depends on how much of a majority they have. If there's only one tor two more GOP than Dems, GOP senators not up for re-election may vote for more moderate judges. Remember the VP is the tie breaker, too.
Old 18th June 2020, 05:42 PM   #75
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
To be entirely fair to him, looking at the video it seems like his legs are slipping on the ramp, so maybe it was slippery.

300 words is way too much, however.
His legs were unstable, but it was a hot dry day according to press at the event. And the senior military officer next to him seemed to handle it just fine.

He has little twig legs trying to hold up that big belly and they are just not up to the job anymore.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 05:59 PM   #76
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
His legs were unstable, but it was a hot dry day according to press at the event. And the senior military officer next to him seemed to handle it just fine.
It was painfully obvious that guy was there for Trump to lean on. Trump even tells him part way down to keep next to him, and he jumps into position.

Quote:
He has little twig legs trying to hold up that big belly and they are just not up to the job anymore.
He is not used to walking on anything but level ground for more than a hundred steps. The most exercise he has had recently was that cross-country run from 1600 over the road to the church and back. It took a whole pack of Adderall to keep him going the whole way. He had to lie down for the rest of the day.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 06:11 PM   #77
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Trump Tweets

Do you get the impression that the Supreme Court doesn’t like me?

These horrible & politically charged decisions coming out of the Supreme Court are shotgun blasts into the face of people that are proud to call themselves Republicans or Conservatives. We need more Justices or we will lose our 2nd. Amendment & everything else. Vote Trump 2020!
It's that for real? He already has a conservative majority, doesn't he?
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 06:15 PM   #78
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

A little context is important.

You haven't given a specific reference, but generally the skeptics here tend to base their opinions on more mainstream, accurate sources than the Daily Mail.

In the cases where the daily mail will post something that is supported by other sources, people may not necessarily see the need to correct the reference.

If the Daily Mail posted "the sky is blue", a lot of people wouldn't find it necessary to say "The daily mail is often wrong, but here's a better reference" since the claim is supported by sources other than the daily mail. The problem is when people use the Daily Mail for marginal claims that don't have a lot of support from other sources.
The Daily Mail has an Australian edition, too. Apparently to keep costs down the few journalists on the staff spend most of their day plagiarizing the other local press. Hence the different content and biases to their British masters.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 06:23 PM   #79
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Trump made them an offer which they had the temerity to actually refuse. He can't handle that from anyone, and especially not from his hand-picked team of consigliere.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 06:38 PM   #80
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Errr sorta.

Right now the Supreme Court, technicality, is 5-4 Conservative (Roberts, Thomas, Alito, Gorsch, and Kavanaugh) to Liberal (Ginsburg, Breyer, Sotomeyer, and Kagen)

But Roberts often breaks ranks and sides with the liberal side of the Court and up until the last few years the Supreme Court was the least partisan of the three branches of the government.

Hell Trump put pure toadie yes men on the court and he can't keep them from occasionally (Like Gorsch did earlier this week on legal protection of LGBQT people) breaking rank.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics