ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 19th June 2020, 08:12 AM   #161
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Dog whistle? I don't understand why it'd be so in this instance, but then I wasn't aware of the word "juneteenth" until yesterday.
Maybe it's because you're not a White Supremacist and you can't hear the whistle. Perhaps?
Old 19th June 2020, 08:44 AM   #162
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Maybe it's because you're not a White Supremacist and you can't hear the whistle. Perhaps?
More like, because I'm not an American and I had no idea what Juneteeth was. Still don't, really.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 08:48 AM   #163
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

More like, because I'm not an American and I had no idea what Juneteeth was. Still don't, really.
Maybe it's a Canada thing because you seem pretty clued up on things generally but even I've heard of Juneteenth and it's not something celebrated in Wales.

Edited to add.....

In terms of knowing what it is, Dr Keith summarised it pretty well a few posts ago..

Last edited by The Don; 19th June 2020 at 08:49 AM.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 08:52 AM   #164
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
the Wall is a Trump, not a Conservative policy.

If you take a 2008 or 2012 Party Platform, you will find a lot more sanity than what Trump has foisted on the GOP.

But yeah, it requires a ludicrous degree of ignorance to think that Trump's policies would appeal to Black voters.
The Trump Campaign knows this, which is why they hire actors from minorities to stand behind him at the Rallies, in best view of the cameras.
Exactly.

If you look, you can find many conservatives railing against Trump. The National Review has been called over the last 60 plus years the Conservative's Bible. There have been article after article for the last 5 years trashing Trump. They endorsed Ted Cruz for President and didn't endorse Trump even after he was nominated. Trump has no overriding political principle. Only in himself.
Old 19th June 2020, 08:59 AM   #165
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Trump understands the difference between people who don't like him and people who are actually meaningful, functional obstacles to getting what he wants. That's wh Susan Collins can be "very concerned" all she wants and he doesn't care, he knows she's going to vote in his favor when she gets done hemming and hawing.

He doesn't give two tin whistle farts if 99.99% of Republicans hate his guts if they still let him get his way.

The amount of power he's managed to amass while being so utterly hated would be admirable in other circumstances.
Old 19th June 2020, 09:01 AM   #166
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Trump understands the difference between people who don't like him and people who are actually meaningful, functional obstacles to getting what he wants. That's wh Susan Collins can be "very concerned" all she wants and he doesn't care, he knows she's going to vote in his favor when she gets done hemming and hawing.

He doesn't give two tin whistle farts if 99.99% of Republicans hate his guts if they still let him get his way.

The amount of power he's managed to amass while being so utterly hated would be admirable in other circumstances.
Uh, which circumstances, exactly?

Hans
Old 19th June 2020, 09:05 AM   #167
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Uh, which circumstances, exactly?

Hans
I just mean that it's vaguely impressive in a world where just being pleasant to be around is so much of an advantage, not that it was admirable in some moral sense.
Old 19th June 2020, 09:11 AM   #168
dmaker
Graduate Poster

It would be nice if the US had a President that did not kick off his re-election campaign with threats of violence.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/19/polit...ers/index.html
dmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 09:17 AM   #169
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not sure that many Americans knew what it was either. Juneteenth is the date commemorating Union army general Gordon Granger announcing federal orders in Galveston, Texas, on June 19, 1865, proclaiming that all people held as slaves in Texas were free.[6] Although the Emancipation Proclamation had officially freed them almost two and a half years earlier, and the American Civil War had largely ended with the defeat of the Confederate States in April, Texas was the most remote of the slave states, with a low presence of Union troops, so enforcement of the proclamation had been slow and inconsistent.[6]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juneteenth

That the Trump administration chose this date for their rally in itself isn't the Dog Whistle, it is where the rally is being held coinciding with that date. Tulsa.

Tulsa is the location of the worst known racial violence in America. The Tulsa race massacre of 1921, a two-day explosion of violence in which white Oklahomans killed hundreds of African-Americans and burned businesses in a prosperous district known as "Black Wall Street." The bloody attack is considered "the single worst incident of racial violence in American history," according to the Oklahoma Historical Society.

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...apter-n1069426
Old 19th June 2020, 09:17 AM   #170
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post

There are tweets from Trump under his own name that were not written by him...
I would bet that not one of those twenty or so Tweets today about DOT money allocation were written by him.
Old 19th June 2020, 09:19 AM   #171
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Wow, I was three pages behind in the thread again.

The rally date and the red triangle things were absolutely intentional, but not by Trump himself. He's simply not that aware. It might be Miller but I think more likely someone in the campaign.
Old 19th June 2020, 09:28 AM   #172
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

CNN responded to Trump's fake toddler video and closed with "Be Better"! Awesome.
Old 19th June 2020, 09:36 AM   #173
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Even guys who don't do politics are capable of citing reputable sources. As opposed to citing rubbish sources. Constantly.
Attack the arguer not the argument. Attack the news venue not the article.
Old 19th June 2020, 09:38 AM   #174
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

"Hate the player, not the game."
Old 19th June 2020, 09:42 AM   #175
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Wow, I was three pages behind in the thread again.

The rally date and the red triangle things were absolutely intentional, but not by Trump himself. He's simply not that aware. It might be Miller but I think more likely someone in the campaign.
You're probably right it might not be Miller. But given Miller's history and high profile position, do we really think he is the only hard core racist in the Trump administration?
Old 19th June 2020, 09:45 AM   #176
Belz...
Fiend God

I'm not sure that many Americans knew what it was either. Juneteenth is the date commemorating Union army general Gordon Granger announcing federal orders in Galveston, Texas, on June 19, 1865, proclaiming that all people held as slaves in Texas were free.[6] Although the Emancipation Proclamation had officially freed them almost two and a half years earlier, and the American Civil War had largely ended with the defeat of the Confederate States in April, Texas was the most remote of the slave states, with a low presence of Union troops, so enforcement of the proclamation had been slow and inconsistent.[6]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juneteenth

That the Trump administration chose this date for their rally in itself isn't the Dog Whistle, it is where the rally is being held coinciding with that date. Tulsa.

Tulsa is the location of the worst known racial violence in America. The Tulsa race massacre of 1921, a two-day explosion of violence in which white Oklahomans killed hundreds of African-Americans and burned businesses in a prosperous district known as "Black Wall Street." The bloody attack is considered "the single worst incident of racial violence in American history," according to the Oklahoma Historical Society.

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...apter-n1069426
I knew of the Tulsa massacre but I wasn't aware of the rest of the tapestry here. Thanks.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 09:50 AM   #177
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Attack the arguer not the argument. Attack the news venue not the article.
A feeble defense for your practice of constantly foisting crap data sources. Sources so crappy that readers need to confirm facts elsewhere.
Old 19th June 2020, 09:53 AM   #178
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

"I don't do politics" is the single most disingenuous lie someone can tell in a world where everything, up to and including base concepts like "There are facts" is politicized.
Maybe it would be more understandable if I said I don't do Republican or Democrat or Independent or Libertarian.

A friend says that in the political realm I am a hermaphrodite. I didn't disagree but said okay as long as that's not a political party. I thought he was actually very good at evaluating me because the term hermaphrodite isn't about being Centrist and it isn't really one thing or another. The hermaphrodite is everything at once and yet is difficult to describe or predict or maybe even understand at all. And you don't tell a hermaphrodite that they need to make up their mind and decide what they are.
Old 19th June 2020, 09:57 AM   #179
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I knew of the Tulsa massacre but I wasn't aware of the rest of the tapestry here. Thanks.
In a way Trump is right. Trump is making Juneteenth famous. Not that it was intention. Juneteenth had been a holiday celebrated almost entirely by people of color and unknown to most of us that aren't. There is now serious discussion of making it a National holiday.
Old 19th June 2020, 10:15 AM   #180
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Why are the Democrats allowed to make fake and fraudulent ads. They should be called out. They did nothing when they had the chance. I have done FAR more than any President in first 3 1/2 years!

The Democrats are doing totally false advertising. They have done NOTHING for years, including when Sleepy Joe was V.P., and they now have a Fake ad that my China Deal is losing us jobs. Opposite, & China is paying us $BILLIONS. Also, I LOVE Seniors & protect Preexisting C’s.

If the Dems get in, our Country is in big trouble!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 10:17 AM   #181
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Tony Fauci has nothing to do with NFL Football. They are planning a very safe and controlled opening. However, if they don’t stand for our National Anthem and our Great American Flag, I won’t be watching!!!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 10:27 AM   #182
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Attack the arguer not the argument.
Pointing out that someone is citing garbage sources IS addressing the argument instead of the arguer.

Attack the news venue not the article.
If a news venue is known for frequently presenting falsehoods, it calls into question anything they assert as facts, and therefor disqualifies them as a source of facts on which you can base an argument.
Old 19th June 2020, 10:43 AM   #183
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Pointing out that someone is citing garbage sources IS addressing the argument instead of the arguer.

If a news venue is known for frequently presenting falsehoods, it calls into question anything they assert as facts, and therefor disqualifies them as a source of facts on which you can base an argument.
It's usually breaking news that I cite from Daily Mail. I have not found them to be presenting falsehoods or errors that would make them garbage as compared to other news agencies. When there are errors these same errors can often be found in other breaking news venues.
Old 19th June 2020, 10:44 AM   #184
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Tony Fauci has nothing to do with NFL Football. They are planning a very safe and controlled opening. However, if they don’t stand for our National Anthem and our Great American Flag, I won’t be watching!!!
Expect another “Celebration of America” type event when the season starts.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 10:49 AM   #185
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

It's usually breaking news that I cite from Daily Mail. I have not found them to be presenting falsehoods or errors that would make them garbage as compared to other news agencies. When there are errors these same errors can often be found in other breaking news venues.
https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/daily-mail/

Factual Reporting ranked as "Low".
Old 19th June 2020, 10:55 AM   #186
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Expect another “Celebration of America” type event when the season starts.
I hope so because that will blow up in his face. The players will humiliate him.

Last edited by Craig4; 19th June 2020 at 11:59 AM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 11:01 AM   #187
Garrison
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I think you mean loose-cannon police organisations. When entire SWAT units resign over the treatment of police

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ts-good-start/

Many police unions also need utterly disbanding.
You would think the Republicans would be up for a bit of union busting.
Old 19th June 2020, 11:01 AM   #188
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

You're probably right it might not be Miller. But given Miller's history and high profile position, do we really think he is the only hard core racist in the Trump administration?
I don't know how that related to my post, but Miller is most certainly not the only hard core racist in the administration, nor probably even the most hard core. Trump tries to surround himself with people who think like him. Probably even more racists in the campaign than in the administration, being that they are less visible.
Old 19th June 2020, 11:07 AM   #189
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Factual Reporting ranked as "Low".
That's only because they said that Richard Gere put a gerbil in his butt. They were half right.
Old 19th June 2020, 11:12 AM   #190
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Don't forget at this "level" resignation and sacking are pretty much synonymous, I'm presuming a judge is allowed to resign?
Why would a liberal judge resign at this point? Remember, unless one of them dies between now and the inauguration (if even that late), there is no opening. A liberal judge is not going to resign knowing that Trump an McConnell would push through a right wing judge. No one can 'sack' a SC judge. There are three things that can create an opening:
1. A judge dies
2. A judge retires/resigns voluntarily
3. A judge is impeached

Trump has zero ability to sack/force to resign a SC judge.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 11:13 AM   #191
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

"I don't do politics" is the single most disingenuous lie someone can tell in a world where everything, up to and including base concepts like "There are facts" is politicized.
And from a guy who for a while was calling out anybody who posted what he considered "off topic" posts in a thread....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 11:14 AM   #192
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

That's only because they said that Richard Gere put a gerbil in his butt. They were half right.
that's not the "only" reason, as the provided link shows.
Old 19th June 2020, 11:15 AM   #193
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe it would be more understandable if I said I don't do Republican or Democrat or Independent or Libertarian.

A friend says that in the political realm I am a hermaphrodite. I didn't disagree but said okay as long as that's not a political party. I thought he was actually very good at evaluating me because the term hermaphrodite isn't about being Centrist and it isn't really one thing or another. The hermaphrodite is everything at once and yet is difficult to describe or predict or maybe even understand at all. And you don't tell a hermaphrodite that they need to make up their mind and decide what they are.
Sorry, I don't get your pont. I don't speak Gibberish.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 11:22 AM   #194
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Oh please. Look who you're talking to.

There's a difference between "Political categorizations are largely arbitrary and just ranking people on where they fall on some Left to Right spectrum and labeling the parts is largely a waste of time" and your sad little "LOL facts don't exist, all sources are biased" routine.

You're not a centrist or a free thinker or some sort of "Labels don't apply to me" hipster. You're just yet another bog standard nihilistic contrarian hiding behind an appeal to openness in a place already filled to the brim with me.
Old 19th June 2020, 11:25 AM   #195
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And from a guy who for a while was calling out anybody who posted what he considered "off topic" posts in a thread....
You must be talking about me reporting posts that are in violation of a Mod Box Warning. The Covid disease and science thread where you dropped partisan politics cluster bomb blitzes.
Old 19th June 2020, 11:26 AM   #196
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Why would a liberal judge resign at this point? Remember, unless one of them dies between now and the inauguration (if even that late), there is no opening. A liberal judge is not going to resign knowing that Trump an McConnell would push through a right wing judge. No one can 'sack' a SC judge. There are three things that can create an opening:
1. A judge dies
2. A judge retires/resigns voluntarily
3. A judge is impeached

Trump has zero ability to sack/force to resign a SC judge.
I can however imagine an older conservative jurist resigning. Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito might be talked into resigning just so they can put in some 40 year old right winger to keep the balance of the court represented by troglodytes for decades to come. As much as the left is afraid of Ginsburg dying the right's nightmare is Trump loses Ginsburg steps aside and Alito and or Thomas kick the bucket.
Old 19th June 2020, 11:30 AM   #197
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Any protesters, anarchists, agitators, looters or lowlifes who are going to Oklahoma please understand, you will not be treated like you have been in New York, Seattle, or Minneapolis. It will be a much different scene!
So Trump is threatening ANY protester, peaceful or not? I got news for this Orange Turd, peaceful protesters have the right to assemble under the Constitution. I don't think another Lafayette Square is going to go down well with Americans.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 11:30 AM   #198
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Oh please. Look who you're talking to.

There's a difference between "Political categorizations are largely arbitrary and just ranking people on where they fall on some Left to Right spectrum and labeling the parts is largely a waste of time" and your sad little "LOL facts don't exist, all sources are biased" routine.

You're not a centrist or a free thinker or some sort of "Labels don't apply to me" hipster. You're just yet another bog standard nihilistic contrarian hiding behind an appeal to openness in a place already filled to the brim with me.
What a terrible thing I be.

ETA: And a pox upon this forum. I be.

Last edited by William Parcher; 19th June 2020 at 11:32 AM.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 11:31 AM   #199
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yeah in the future can we maybe, just maybe, not put the entire hopes and dreams of us continuing to live in a functioning democracy entirely on the hope that an 87 year old 3 time cancer survivor can continue not dying.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 19th June 2020 at 11:33 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 11:33 AM   #200
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

What a terrible thing I be.
Glibness is neither an answer nor a defense.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics