ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 1st July 2020, 03:12 PM   #121
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Re: treatment of Covid19 with steroid costs $50
Originally Posted by jnelso99 View Post
For now.
From what I have seen, the steroid in question has been around at least since the 60s... I suspect it has been around long enough for cheap generics to be available, that will keep the price low.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 03:29 PM   #122
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jnelso99 View Post
Let me guess - he's going to sell the stuff to the highest bidder, again pitting the states against each other. Either that or he'll only give it to the red states or whoever sucks up to him the most and again let blue states fend for themselves.
It's entirely plausible that this federal resource will be distributed at the whim of the sitting President, with no oversight, no defined criteria, and no formal process. It shouldn't be, of course, but it is. It's also entirely plausible that the resource was purchased with an equal absence of process or cost-benefit analysis because it was thought by those making the decision to be an action which would please the sitting President. This is, in principle, a bad state of affairs. When the sitting President is Trump it is, in practice, a freakin' nightmare.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 03:33 PM   #123
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Conservatives really do hate science but do love their imaginary guy in the sky who is on their 'side'.
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I have to disagree there; I have no issues with believing in God, but lots of issues with disagreeing with science. Somewho beleives in God, but thinks GOd uses science to run the unvierse I have no quarrel with.
Two different things there. One is refuting science in favor of their imagined God and the other is not refuting science. I have no problem with the latter, but I do with the former.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 03:39 PM   #124
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Looking on the bright side of things, we'll soon be able to judge the modelled outcome of a "do nothing" strategy against a real-world example. Improved modelling will produce benefits, both in this pandemic and in any yet to come.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 04:29 PM   #125
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Once again, the dunderhead repeats nonsense.
Quote:
Donald Trump has repeated a claim that the coronavirus is going to “just disappear”, as the United States announced a record number of new cases.

“I think we’re gonna be very good with the coronavirus. I think that at some point that’s going to, sort of, just disappear — I hope,” Mr Trump told Fox Business on Wednesday.

The president's remarks come amid mounting criticism of his administration's handling of the pandemic, which has claimed the lives of 129,000 Americans.
Nah, he's not nuts.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 04:47 PM   #126
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Once again, the dunderhead repeats nonsense.
Quote:
“I think we’re gonna be very good with the coronavirus."
Nah, he's not nuts.
We're going to be 'very good with the coronavirus.' What does that even mean.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dangerously dumb.jpg (44.2 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg US 06302020.jpg (44.1 KB, 12 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 05:19 PM   #127
Elvis666
Muse

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
From what I have seen, the steroid in question has been around at least since the 60s... I suspect it has been around long enough for cheap generics to be available, that will keep the price low.
A medication for the treatment of gout, colchicine, used to cost nine cents a tablet. It has been around for many, many years, and is very effective. In 2006, the FDA launched a program to require testing for unregulated drugs. The first company to complete the regimen of clinical trials for colchicine was able to block any other company from producing it. The cost immediately went to almost $5 a tablet.

While the cases are not directly comparable, it does show how the FDA and Congress are willing to allow "Big Pharma" to pick the pocket of the consumer.
Old 1st July 2020, 07:19 PM   #128
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Looking on the bright side of things, we'll soon be able to judge the modelled outcome of a "do nothing" strategy against a real-world example. Improved modelling will produce benefits, both in this pandemic and in any yet to come.
America 2020: setting an example for future generations!
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 08:17 PM   #129
EHocking
Philosopher

My secret fantasy: Trump falls apart during a debate and goes full on bat ****, Capt. Queeg crazy on live TV.
Aaaannnnddddd you’ll be able to tell the difference in behaviour how?
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 01:06 AM   #130
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
Aaaannnnddddd you’ll be able to tell the difference in behaviour how?
Good point.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 01:08 AM   #131
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Not only did the WH resident moron say her thinks the virus will just disappear, he said he thought masks were a 'good thing', he has worn one a couple times and he thought he 'looked good in it'. Oy vey.
Old 2nd July 2020, 01:22 AM   #132
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Not only did the WH resident moron say her thinks the virus will just disappear, he said he thought masks were a 'good thing', he has worn one a couple times and he thought he 'looked good in it'. Oy vey.
I bet. The more it covers his face, the better he looks.
Old 2nd July 2020, 01:30 AM   #133
Armitage72
Illuminator

Not just that.

“Actually, I had a mask on. I sort of liked the way I looked, OK? I thought it was OK. It was a dark, black mask, and I thought it looked OK. Looked like the Lone Ranger."

If it makes you look like the Lone Ranger, you're wearing it wrong or it's the wrong kind of mask.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 01:52 AM   #134
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Not just that.

“Actually, I had a mask on. I sort of liked the way I looked, OK? I thought it was OK. It was a dark, black mask, and I thought it looked OK. Looked like the Lone Ranger."

If it makes you look like the Lone Ranger, you're wearing it wrong or it's the wrong kind of mask.
He meant THE LONE WARRIOR. Yeah, that's it.
Old 2nd July 2020, 08:26 AM   #135
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

One gets the feeling that after five months, some folks aren't treating this pandemic seriously.

Quote:
As coronavirus cases continue to surge across the country, students in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, have started throwing COVID-19 parties. The first attendee to become infected wins money, according to Tuscaloosa City Councilor Sonya McKinstry.

Within the past week, Alabama became one of 14 states to report a record-high number of cases in a single day. On Wednesday, the country as a whole set a record for new, daily cases, the fifth time this has happened in the past eight days.

George Will on
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 08:32 AM   #136
carlitos
"más divertido"

US Poltics and the Coronavirus / 4D chess

I just had a thought. Trump calls out to Biden that not only is he supporting mail-in voting, but we should create a national strategy to get ballots in as early as possible. That way, on election night, we will have a winner and ensure a clear outcome, thus no court cases or uncertainty due to waiting a week for ballots.

But in reality it's a dastardly plan to ensure that the seniors in swing states all have a chance to vote for him before they die of Covid-19
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 10:18 AM   #137
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

So all the poor trumpkins who have refused to wear masks must do another 180° turn, or end up disagreeing with dear leader? This has happened so many times not that they must be getting dizzy.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 10:30 AM   #138
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
So all the poor trumpkins who have refused to wear masks must do another 180° turn, or end up disagreeing with dear leader? This has happened so many times not that they must be getting dizzy.
Dizzy is the new normal for them.
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:22 AM   #139
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Herman Cain is in the hospital with covid. He was at the Tulsa rally.
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:36 AM   #140
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
How could he do this to Trump?
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:39 AM   #141
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Unfortunately, he did not meet with Trump in person.

Dang...so close...
Old 2nd July 2020, 01:33 PM   #142
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Unfortunatley we can't tell for sure that he caught the virus at the rally. (Its been a little under 2 weeks... it roughly fits the time frame, although I don't know if people typically get hospitalized earlier or later in the infection cycle.

But, there is a little poetic justice:

Cain has frequently downplayed the risk of Covid-19 on social media. As he was in the hospital Wednesday, Cain’s account tweeted approvingly of the lack of social distancing restrictions at Trump’s upcoming Mount Rushmore event.
On June 29, the day he tested positive, Cain downplayed the threat of coronavirus in Florida amid record hospitalizations and cases in the state. “The news is better than what you're being told,” Cain wrote on Twitter. And on June 8, Cain wondered on Twitter if the virus was weakening.

Well, Cain, do you think you were hospitalized by a weakened virus?

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 02:50 PM   #143
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Unfortunatley we can't tell for sure that he caught the virus at the rally. (Its been a little under 2 weeks... it roughly fits the time frame, although I don't know if people typically get hospitalized earlier or later in the infection cycle.

But, there is a little poetic justice:

Cain has frequently downplayed the risk of Covid-19 on social media. As he was in the hospital Wednesday, Cain’s account tweeted approvingly of the lack of social distancing restrictions at Trump’s upcoming Mount Rushmore event.
On June 29, the day he tested positive, Cain downplayed the threat of coronavirus in Florida amid record hospitalizations and cases in the state. “The news is better than what you're being told,” Cain wrote on Twitter. And on June 8, Cain wondered on Twitter if the virus was weakening.

Well, Cain, do you think you were hospitalized by a weakened virus?
I wonder how people think viruses weaken.

They don't get old and tired. They are little bits of protein that reproduce, making copies of themselves. How would a virus "weaken"? I guess it would have to mutate to a form that was just as contagious, less dangerous, but similar enough to the original that antibodies against the less dangerous form also protected against the original.

Does that ever happen? What's this about "weakening"?
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 02:52 PM   #144
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I don't wish ill of Herman Cain, but I must admit I find myself thinking that if he died of the infection there would be a silver lining in terms of public awareness. It's the sort of thing that might shake a few more people out of denial mode.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 03:17 PM   #145
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

There's a wide range from a couple days to a couple weeks.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 03:20 PM   #146
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post

They don't get old and tired. They are little bits of protein that reproduce, making copies of themselves. How would a virus "weaken"? I guess it would have to mutate to a form that was just as contagious, less dangerous, but similar enough to the original that antibodies against the less dangerous form also protected against the original.

Some viruses that mutate significantly (not COVID 19) can become attenuated as sicker people stay home or die, while people with milder cases spread more virus.

Viruses can also be attenuated in the lab to create vaccines the way you modify domestic animals and crops.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 2nd July 2020 at 03:22 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 03:23 PM   #147
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I don't wish ill of Herman Cain, but I must admit I find myself thinking that if he died of the infection there would be a silver lining in terms of public awareness. It's the sort of thing that might shake a few more people out of denial mode.
He's black. No one in the WH circle is likely to care.

Old 2nd July 2020, 03:31 PM   #148
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The Atlantic: A Dire Warning From COVID-19 Test Providers - U.S. coronavirus testing could fail again, as surging demand creates new backlogs and delays.
Quote:
The United States is once again at risk of outstripping its COVID-19 testing capacity, an ominous development that would deny the country a crucial tool to understand its pandemic in real time.

The American testing supply chain is stretched to the limit, and the ongoing outbreak in the South and West could overwhelm it, according to epidemiologists and testing-company executives. While the country’s laboratories have added tremendous capacity in the past few months—the U.S. now tests about 550,000 people each day, a fivefold increase from early April—demand for viral tests is again outpacing supply.

If demand continues to accelerate and shortages are not resolved, then turnaround times for test results will rise, tests will effectively be rationed, and the number of infections that are never counted in official statistics will grow. ...
But you can't hide overwhelmed hospitals.

The article is disturbing though, because one would think increasing numbers of cases in FL, AZ, TX, CA, etc would be their problem. It appeared there was an adequate supply of testing materials and PPE. But it turns out areas of the country not managing their increasing numbers of cases is now affecting everyone.

I'm listening now to Adm. Giroir, head of HHS blame the increase on "young people" and not on states opening up too soon. Earlier today in a press briefing, Mnuchin blamed the states for the failure of opening their economies 'properly' because the feds gave them 'guidelines'.

In the press briefing, Mnuchin and Kudlow repeatedly denied and dodged questioning of their's, POTUS' and Pence's claims that things were under control and going swimmingly. When pressed, they ended the briefing.

The Hill: Mnuchin: White House 'absolutely' does not regret pushing states to reopen

This sums it up:
Quote:
Asked at a Thursday press appearance whether the White House had any regrets about encouraging speedy reopenings, Mnuchin replied, “No, absolutely not. I think we’ve had a very careful plan working with the states — this is primarily the states’ responsibility — but working with the states.”

Right now after being shown clip after clip of police brutality and attacks on the press during the protests, Jim Jordan immediately started in on "Democrat Mayors and Democrat governors..."

I turned the sound off because I have heard Jordan's faux outrage enough times I don't need to hear him again.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 2nd July 2020 at 03:34 PM.
Old 2nd July 2020, 04:18 PM   #149
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Some viruses that mutate significantly (not COVID 19) can become attenuated as sicker people stay home or die, while people with milder cases spread more virus.

Viruses can also be attenuated in the lab to create vaccines the way you modify domestic animals and crops.
So the first type is what I was getting at. Now there's two different, but similar, viruses, and the weak one spreads faster, but the weak one also gives immunity from the stronger one.

So apparently that's really a thing. Could that be happening now? It's obvious that the new case rate right now is not being accompanied by the corresponding rates of hospitalization or death that we saw in New York or Michigan when we were the hotbeds of the virus.

And of course they can be artificially attenuated in the lab.
Old 2nd July 2020, 04:19 PM   #150
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The Governor of Texas orders masks mandatory.
I suspect some fireworks since the Lt. Governor stated yesterday that Fauci does not know what he is talking about and has hinted that the virus is a medis plot to get Trump.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 05:04 PM   #151
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

So the first type is what I was getting at. Now there's two different, but similar, viruses, and the weak one spreads faster, but the weak one also gives immunity from the stronger one.

So apparently that's really a thing. Could that be happening now? It's obvious that the new case rate right now is not being accompanied by the corresponding rates of hospitalization or death that we saw in New York or Michigan when we were the hotbeds of the virus.

And of course they can be artificially attenuated in the lab.
I don't think there is evidence for the highlighted statement.

First, give it time.

Second, if more younger people are part of that increase then the difference is in the host, not the virus.

Old 2nd July 2020, 05:39 PM   #152
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
There's a wide range from a couple days to a couple weeks.

Glad this was posted. I have seen it stated here a number of times that the incubation period for Covid-19, from contact to symptoms, is two weeks. As though this was an absolute, only it's not. I was about to post on this because of some recent local news stories in New York. One was a teenager who returned from Florida and attended a graduation party. The next day or two he came down with coronavirus and within five or six days a number of the people at the party also had symptoms. There was a story today about a college age man hosting a party last weekend despite already suffering symptoms common to Covid-19. Early in the week he went to a doctor and tested positive. Some of the party-goers are already suffering symptoms and have tested positive for C19.

Last edited by newyorkguy; 2nd July 2020 at 05:52 PM.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 05:52 PM   #153
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

55,000 new cases in one day. Now, is that embers, or cinders, or ash?

George Will on
June 1, 2020
Old 2nd July 2020, 07:16 PM   #154
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200...est-at-capitol

Surpised it took Alex Jones this long...

No doubt a bigger protest now that the mask mandate is statewide.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 07:18 PM   #155
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Anyone who follows along with Alex Jones is a bona fide idjit.
Old 2nd July 2020, 07:34 PM   #156
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

That is how Alex makes his living; milking his gullible followers.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 2nd July 2020, 08:08 PM   #157
carlitos
"más divertido"

Not seen now, but one of the original photos in that Statesman article showed a protestor with a sign that said “goy kno,” which is an antisemitic in-joke among white nationalist types. Great crowd.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd July 2020, 08:29 PM   #158
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

I think an even better sliver lining would be if he survived to admit he was wrong and raise public awareness.
Old 2nd July 2020, 09:03 PM   #159
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

...or, The PDJT.
Old 2nd July 2020, 11:16 PM   #160
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

I think it happens through the use of hand sanitizer. It doesn't actually kill the virus outrigjt, but if you use it frequently, the virus becomes an alcoholic.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics