ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus

Old 5th July 2020, 01:56 PM   #201
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I know that it’s tone trolling or whatever, and I promise to only say it this one time. Can we please not wish that anyone, anywhere gets a potentially deadly virus? If nothing else, they aid on the spread that may get someone that you don’t want to get sick.
As much as it pains me, Carlitos is right. Trump supporters might spread the virus to people.
Old 5th July 2020, 02:28 PM   #202
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
As much as it pains me, Carlitos is right. Trump supporters might spread the virus to people the human population.
FTFY

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2020, 02:48 PM   #203
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Quote:
CNN's Dana Bash: You said in 2014 that Obama showed "failed leadership" with Ebola, when only 2 Americans died. Would you say Trump's showed failed leadership with coronavirus as 130,000 Americans have died?

Sen. Joni Ernst: "No, I think that the president is stepping forward"
Old 5th July 2020, 02:53 PM   #204
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
Ah, murica. Where using mask is political issue, not medical advice.
Wedge politics at its finest. Take any issue. Turn it into a political one and then divide everyone on party lines.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th July 2020, 04:45 PM   #205
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Quote:
CNN's Dana Bash: You said in 2014 that Obama showed "failed leadership" with Ebola, when only 2 Americans died. Would you say Trump's showed failed leadership with coronavirus as 130,000 Americans have died?

You forgot the proper emogi.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 01:21 PM   #206
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

If there's a vaccine, you won't be able to afford it.
Quote:
Yes, of course, Americans’ health is priceless, and reining in a deadly virus that has trashed the economy would be invaluable.

But a Covid-19 vaccine will have an actual price tag. And given the prevailing business-centric model of American drug pricing, it could well be budget breaking, perhaps making it unavailable to many.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/06/o...cine-cost.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 03:52 PM   #207
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
If there's a vaccine, you won't be able to afford it.

Yes, of course, Americans’ health is priceless, and reining in a deadly virus that has trashed the economy would be invaluable.

But a Covid-19 vaccine will have an actual price tag. And given the prevailing business-centric model of American drug pricing, it could well be budget breaking, perhaps making it unavailable to many.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/06/o...cine-cost.html
I am a little more optimistic...

I think the fact that there are so many vaccine candidates in multiple countries in the world (and more than 1 of them look like they might show some potential) means that there will likely be some competition in the vaccine market. That should keep prices in check (to at least some degree).

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 04:12 PM   #208
jnelso99
Muse

You really think Trump is going to allow a non-American vaccine to be approved for use in the US?
jnelso99 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 05:50 PM   #209
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jnelso99 View Post
You really think Trump is going to allow a non-American vaccine to be approved for use in the US?
If our foreign allies and adversaries have any self-respect, they will refuse to allow their vaccines to be shipped to the U.S. Payback's a bitch.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 06:01 PM   #210
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

You think Trump gives a rip about 'made in America'? Of course not, that's just lip service.

If there's a vaccine available anywhere, he's going to want two things: A vaccine for himself**, and something that will get the economy going before Nov.

**And maybe vaccine he can give cronies as a benefit for doing right by Trump.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 6th July 2020 at 06:02 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 06:26 PM   #211
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Yes. Because seeing other countries get vaccinated for Covid19 while the pandemic rages on in the US would probably be more embarrassing to trump than importing a non-american vaccine.

2 other points:
- even if trump doesn't bring in foreign vaccines, there are still multiple vaccine candidates in the u.s. itself that should allow competition
- trump may not be president past January 2021, and I don't think Biden will object to foreign vaccines

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th July 2020, 07:50 PM   #212
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think that will be an issue because I doubt a viable vaccine will be available before January 20.
Old 6th July 2020, 10:12 PM   #213
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I don't think that will be an issue because I doubt a viable vaccine will be available before January 20.
The crucial date is Nov 3. After that, if Trump is to be sent packing, he'll spitefully **** everyone over. And if he should somehow win, he still won't give a rat's arse.
Lurch is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 06:19 AM   #214
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Trump walked up to the edge of a cliff and is stepping forward. This analogy don’t just work for COVID-19, it’s been the story of his presidency.
Old 7th July 2020, 08:14 AM   #215
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Trump walked up to the edge of a cliff and is stepping forward. This analogy don’t just work for COVID-19, it’s been the story of his presidency.
....and yet 40% of Americans polled (and 90%+ of Republicans) think he's doing a fine job. Perhaps they just have a completely different set of values and hence a different set of things they're looking for in a President.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 12:11 PM   #216
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I beginning to think Trump is knows he's going to lose the election and has decided to just burn the country.
Old 7th July 2020, 12:54 PM   #217
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Paraphrasing Soran:
"I am the fire in which we burn!"
Old 7th July 2020, 01:04 PM   #218
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I know that it’s tone trolling or whatever, and I promise to only say it this one time. Can we please not wish that anyone, anywhere gets a potentially deadly virus? If nothing else, they aid on the spread that may get someone that you don’t want to get sick.
Fair enough, I recognize the risk that they might spread it to decent people.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 01:44 PM   #219
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Just watched a bit (couldn't take much more than that), of the Trump sycophant and denialists back to school meeting. Clearly they were all chosen because they have a favorable view of opening schools back up in the fall.

DeVos was there to rant against public schools.

I missed what Birx had to say, probably nothing new.

I don't think even half the group had masks on and some of them took them off. Trump, Pence and their wives did not have masks on. They were not 6 feet apart but it looked like Trump had quite a bit of distance between himself and the meeting members. And there was no handshake and meet Trump at the end of the roundtable. Trump and Melanie were out the door before anyone else could leave.

I posted this in the Sweden thread: Trump is claiming we've done reopening right, that's why we're better off than Sweden.

Trump also claimed Harvard not committing to opening in the fall showed their weakness, and he added "disgusting." So I guess if you don't go out and put yourself at needless risk that makes you a disgusting coward. Cadet Bone Spurs certainly knows that first hand. But this is not a military war.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 7th July 2020 at 01:46 PM.
Old 7th July 2020, 03:29 PM   #220
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
...Trump is claiming we've done reopening right, that's why we're better off than Sweden...
We are?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sweden New cases 07072020.jpg (47.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg US New cases 07062020.jpg (45.5 KB, 11 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2020, 06:48 PM   #221
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Yes. Because seeing other countries get vaccinated for Covid19 while the pandemic rages on in the US would probably be more embarrassing to trump than importing a non-american vaccine.

What would be even better is if Canada and Mexico got together to offer free vaccinations for Americans.

Or at least people who can show they're registered Democrats.
Old 8th July 2020, 02:18 PM   #222
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Just watched a bit (couldn't take much more than that), of the Trump sycophant and denialists back to school meeting. Clearly they were all chosen because they have a favorable view of opening schools back up in the fall...
NBC News was right.
Originally Posted by newyorkguy View Post
NBC News and other sources are reporting the trump White House will be rolling out a new message for Americans next this week about coronavirus. Basically it sounds like, don't worry so much.
Quote:
Eager to move forward and reopen the economy amid a recession and a looming presidential election, the White House is now pushing acceptance. "The virus is with us, but we need to live with it," is how one official said the administration plans to message on the pandemic. NBC News
Yesterday new case numbers were triple what they were three weeks ago. Meanwhile, with the virus seemingly surging, many state officials are deeply concerned with how to protect school age children while ensuring they continue their education. It's a very difficult problem. It's not a difficult problem for trump. he wants the schools open to help his reelection bid and since he could care less about other people's kids (he seems to barely care about his own) the decision is easy. Some kids will get sick, maybe a lot of kids, some will probably die. I'm sure he doesn't see that as a problem. He certainly doesn't address it. I'm sure he accepts the fact, there's an epidemic, to get everything rolling again some people have to be sacrificed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg US New cases 07072020.jpg (42.2 KB, 9 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 02:30 PM   #223
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I have to wonder if the military branches have an official uniform mask.
Old 8th July 2020, 03:32 PM   #224
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I have to wonder if the military branches have an official uniform mask.
‘No skull and crossbones’: Here’s how the six services are implementing military face mask guidance

Quote:
The Army, Air Force and Navy have all indicated they would be providing official uniform masks. Until then, they and the other services have outlined options that meet some basic requirements.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 03:52 PM   #225
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Rebel Flag masks! Yee-Haw!

Meanwhile, the very, very, low death rate was higher yesterday than any time since late June.

ETA: Did you think I was making that up?

Last edited by Trebuchet; 8th July 2020 at 03:54 PM.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 04:09 PM   #226
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

trump wants the schools reopened in the Fall. The scary part is, trump doesn't seem to take any particular interest in his own son. Why would he care about other people's kids?
Quote:
In a daylong series of conference calls and public events at the White House, the president, Education Secretary Betsy DeVos and other senior officials opened a concerted campaign to lean on governors, mayors and others to resume classes in person months after more than 50 million children were abruptly ejected from school buildings in March. Mr. Trump and his administration argued that the social, psychological and educational costs of keeping children at home any longer would be worse than the virus itself. But they offered no concrete proposals or new financial assistance to states and localities struggling to restructure academic settings, staffs and programs that were never intended to keep children six feet apart or cope with the requirements of combating a virus that has killed more than 130,000 Americans. New York Times
How many times has trump predicted the coronavirus will "disappear?" Does the chart below look like it's 'fading away?'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg US states vs the World.jpg (88.4 KB, 18 views)
Old 8th July 2020, 04:26 PM   #227
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

trump wants the schools reopened in the Fall. The scary part is, trump doesn't seem to take any particular interest in his own son. Why would he care about other people's kids?

How many times has trump predicted the coronavirus will "disappear?" Does the chart below look like it's 'fading away?'
Just look at all the Mooslim ********* on that list! Sharia Virus!

Seriously, my wife asked me pretty much the same this morning. Why does he care if the schools reopen? It's because, like everything else, it's all and only about him. Somebody suggested to him that the D's want to keep the schools closed to make him look bad and he swallowed it, hook, line, and sinker.

Oh, and his kid and grandkids aren't going to public schools anyway. Republicans HATE public schools, because they teach evil subjects like science and history; and are funded by taxes!
Old 8th July 2020, 04:58 PM   #228
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Tulsa is spiking.
Old 8th July 2020, 07:35 PM   #229
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post

Less commitment than a face tattoo, but same effect for most of us.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 07:54 PM   #230
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I am a little more optimistic...

I think the fact that there are so many vaccine candidates in multiple countries in the world (and more than 1 of them look like they might show some potential) means that there will likely be some competition in the vaccine market. That should keep prices in check (to at least some degree).
Patents
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 08:57 PM   #231
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

We are?
They aren't citing Sweden as the model of responses anymore for some reason.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 09:21 PM   #232
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

I'm far less concerned about the kids themselves given that bad outcomes are very unlikely for them, and I would hope parents of kids at particular risk would keep their kids isolated. The problem is that schools, especially at the pre-high school levels, will end up with every student and school employee infected, followed by every parent, followed by pretty much everyone else. That's exactly why schools closed so fast in the first place. Social distancing simply isn't possible in most public schools. Anyone claiming otherwise is either abysmally stupid, politically motivated, or both.

Last edited by Babbylonian; 8th July 2020 at 09:22 PM.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 09:54 PM   #233
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Is it April yet? Because then, like a miracle, it'll just disappear.
Old 8th July 2020, 10:05 PM   #234
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Meanwhile Melbourne presents and example of open schools. Sorry if this is a duplicate link. I see a reference to "Mooslims" upthread.

102 COVID cases, 2,300 close contacts: Principal of Melbourne school in lockdown breaks silence
Quote:
The principal of an independent P-12 Islamic school in Melbourne’s west, which is at the centre of one of Victoria’s largest coronavirus clusters, has broken his silence.

Omar Hallak, principal at Al-Taqwa College in Truganina, has remained tight-lipped since the school reported its first case of COVID-19 on June 27, 11 days ago.

As of Wednesday, the total number of cases linked to the school cluster had risen to 102.

Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Dr Brett Sutton confirmed the entire school was in lockdown, as health authorities were treating 2,300 staff and students as close contacts.
Not sure how many of those are high school kids.

Old 8th July 2020, 10:22 PM   #235
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Is it April yet? Because then, like a miracle, it'll just disappear.
he didn't say which April, now did he?
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 10:32 PM   #236
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

And I see stories about overflowing hospitals and ppe shortages. In America. Us and Brazil. Are we great again yet?
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 11:16 PM   #237
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post

One of the reasons: Tulsa Official: Trump Rally 'Likely' Caused COVID-19 Surge (Time, July 8, 2020)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th July 2020, 11:18 PM   #238
dann
Penultimate Amazing

The scary part is, trump doesn't seem to take any particular interest in his own son.

Eric?!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2020, 01:45 AM   #239
Armitage72
Illuminator

Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th July 2020, 02:28 AM   #240
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Anybody getting tired of winning yet?
Quote:
India on Thursday reported nearly 25,000 new coronavirus infections, as the disease continued its ominous spread through the nation of nearly 1.4 billion people. The virus is showing no signs of slowing in the worst-affected countries: the United States, Brazil and India. The three nations are accounting for more than 60% of new cases, according to recent tallies from Johns Hopkins University. The U.S. reported nearly 59,000 new daily cases, just short of the record 60,000 cases set a day earlier, as President Donald Trump insisted that schools reopen in the fall. Time Magazine
The United States lumped in with Brazil and India. Ironically, trump has expressed admiration for the leaders of both nations, Bolsonaro and Modi. Bolsonaro is himself infected.
Quote:
President Jair Bolsonaro of Brazil, who has railed against social distancing measures and repeatedly downplayed the threat of the coronavirus as the epidemic in his country became the second-worst in the world [behind the U.S.], said Tuesday that he, too, had been infected. New York Times

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics