ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags police incidents , police issues , police misconduct charges , Portland incidents , Portland issues , protest incidents , protest issues

Old 16th July 2020, 12:11 AM   #1
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Unconstitutional actions by fededal police in Portland?

I can't verify the video, but if it's true - is this action constitutional?

https://twitter.com/sparrowmedia/sta...36911307218948

Quote:
The Sparrow Project
@sparrowmedia
Militarized Federal Agents from a patchwork of outside agencies have begun policing Portland (in rented minivans vans) without the explicit approval of the mayor, the state, or local municipalities. This is what that looks like in practice:
There seems no way of identifying the officers - no ID numbers that I could see, just "Police" patches.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th July 2020, 05:55 AM   #2
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

It's been happening in other cities for a while
https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...rcement-302551

Many have no business doing actual police work

Quote:
Eagle-eyed protesters have identified some of them as belonging to Bureau of Prisons’ riot police units from Texas, but others remain a mystery.
Old 16th July 2020, 08:14 AM   #3
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
It's been happening in other cities for a while
https://www.politico.com/news/magazi...rcement-302551

Many have no business doing actual police work
Nasty.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 02:17 AM   #4
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Honestly? I rather doubt that the Constitution actually weighs in on the matter in a directly meaningful way.

With that said - such tactics are despicable and should have no place in America and being used against American citizens. They would seem to be far more in line with terrorizing potential dissidents in occupied territory than they do with upholding society at home.
Old 17th July 2020, 03:17 AM   #5
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Reminds me of Crimea...
Old 17th July 2020, 03:32 AM   #6
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

What they're doing may be lawful or not, IDK, but when people have no way to tell whether a person is being arrested or kidnapped, that's pretty clearly a basic problem which ought to be addressed and I can't see why it shouldn't be. If these people are exercising the authority of police officers, they ought to be clearly identifiable as such.
Jack by the hedge is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 04:48 AM   #7
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

I can't help but notice that there's not so much as a peep from these ultra patriot types that have spent the better part of the last half century talking tough about the importance of an armed stand against tyrannical government. I guess the real thing isn't as appealing.

I'm sure when it comes time to threaten to shoot libs, they'll rediscover their principles.

Shocking no one, these people have no problem with tyranny so long as it's directed towards their political enemies. They only threaten murder against agents of the state when they do something truly ghastly, like attempt to collect past-due grazing fees.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 17th July 2020 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Fixed typos
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 05:36 AM   #8
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
As always, satirists were ahead of reality.
Old 17th July 2020, 10:53 AM   #9
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

A definition of fascism I've see:

Quote:
In general, fascism can best be understood as bringing the methods of imperial rule in the colonies into the metropole.
http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/27/074.html

We're seeing the tactics of our endless wars on terror brought to the streets of America to crush dissent here just as we attempted to crush dissent abroad. Or in this example, border patrol secret police are using the tactics of terror they learned against S. American immigrants, but on the streets of Portland.

For decades, our federal government has been practicing the finer details of violent suppression abroad. Now Americans are seeing the same masterful application directed towards them.
Old 17th July 2020, 10:59 AM   #10
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I can't help but notice that there's not so much as a peep from these ultra patriot types that have spent the better part of the last half century talking tough about the importance of an armed stand against tyrannical government. I guess the real thing isn't as appealing.

I'm sure when it comes time to threaten to shoot libs, they'll rediscover their principles.

Shocking no one, these people have no problem with tyranny so long as it's directed towards their political enemies. They only threaten murder against agents of the state when they do something truly ghastly, like attempt to collect past-due grazing fees.
They are saving their ammo for real tyranny. Y'know, like healthcare.
Old 17th July 2020, 11:02 AM   #11
carlitos
"mŠs divertido"

This becomes quite clear when listening to the Alex Jones show in the Trump era. The guy has spent years warning about the coming police state, and now he defends all of this nonsense.

Thanks to the OP and others that pointed me to the articles - I hadn't seen this topic in the news somehow. Just read an article in Vice. I'd like more verification of the claims, but man this seems shady as hell. This kind of federal "law enforcement" activity isn't much of a progression from having ICE operating in cities, or redefining the "border" to include 2/3 of the USA.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 11:06 AM   #12
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Honestly? I rather doubt that the Constitution actually weighs in on the matter in a directly meaningful way.

With that said - such tactics are despicable and should have no place in America and being used against American citizens. They would seem to be far more in line with terrorizing potential dissidents in occupied territory than they do with upholding society at home.

One law blog points out that this amounts to an arrest, apparently they are taken somewhere and questioned, and thus needs probable cause.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 11:10 AM   #13
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
One law blog points out that this amounts to an arrest, apparently they are taken somewhere and questioned, and thus needs probable cause.
That was why I thought the 5th had possibly been broken. And some of the attacks on protesters - or even householders might break the 8th as well
Old 17th July 2020, 11:23 AM   #14
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I've noticed that, too. Where is the outrage from our 'right-wing patriots' when Trump and/or his WH cronies sent U.S. Park Police and National Guard troops to use pepper bombs against peaceful protesters in Lafayette Park so he could have a photo op? Where is the outrage from them when DHS sent in federal troops to Portland, my city, when they were not asked to by either Gov. Brown or Mayor Wheeler? Neither want them here.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 11:25 AM   #15
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

It can't happen here. Right? That's what they say at least.
Old 17th July 2020, 11:25 AM   #16
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I've noticed that, too. Where is the outrage from our 'right-wing patriots' when Trump and/or his WH cronies sent U.S. Park Police and National Guard troops to use pepper bombs against peaceful protesters in Lafayette Park so he could have a photo op? Where is the outrage from them when DHS sent in federal troops to Portland, my city, when they were not asked to by either Gov. Brown or Mayor Wheeler? Neither want them here.
I thought they liked States' Rights
Old 17th July 2020, 11:44 AM   #17
portlandatheist
Illuminator

This isn't even the worst of it. One protester was shot with a less-lethal projectile in the head and was bleeding profusely.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 11:52 AM   #18
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

I thought they liked States' Rights
They like it when States have the right to do things they agree with, they donít like it when States have the right to do things they disagree with.

This is nothing new. Eg. A frequent Republican proposal for Health insurance reform is to allow selling insurance across State lines. The thing is, this is something that would only come into play when the policy didnít meet the standard mandated by State law. If the policy met State standards, they can register the plan and start selling in that State already. The difference allowing polices to be sold across State lines would make would be that people could buy inferior policies being sold in other States, but not available locally.

IOW itís nothing but a massive swipe at State power and their ability to regulate their own health insurance standards.
Old 17th July 2020, 12:00 PM   #19
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
I remember reading a tweet where it was claimed the injured man had thrown the gas canister at the police and that's why he was shot. The video clearly shows that did not happen. The canister was thrown toward the protester which landed near him. He then rolled it back on the ground from the direction it came. It was directly after that he was shot with the rubber bullet and severely injured requiring face reconstructive surgery.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 12:05 PM   #20
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Several people in earlier protests lost an eye. I'd bet money that the packaging on that "less lethal" ammo says not to aim at the head, but cops are doing it on purpose.
Old 17th July 2020, 12:13 PM   #21
jond
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Several people in earlier protests lost an eye. I'd bet money that the packaging on that "less lethal" ammo says not to aim at the head, but cops are doing it on purpose.
Not cops, Trumpís secret police force. No markings, no one in Portlandís city or state government has any way of knowing who they are, or where they have come from. His acting head of homeland security is here spouting lies and refusing to talk to any city leaders. This is really bad stuff, but no doubt our resident ďpatriotsĒ think itís the right way to deal with protesters. (As opposed to how patriots who protest being forced to wear a mask and not be able to get a haircut get treated.)
jond is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 12:15 PM   #22
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

It's a bit of a moot point, since these gestapo types are so heavily armed and in numbers to make any real resistance suicide, but would it even be a crime to resist these people with lethal force?

You basically have non-uniformed people claiming to be cops kidnapping people into unmarked vans. They have been reported to have refused identifying themselves and are arresting people without probable cause.

It would be trivially easy for a bad actor to impersonate these people and kidnap protesters under the pretense of lawful authority.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 17th July 2020 at 12:25 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 12:40 PM   #23
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It would be trivially easy for a bad actor to impersonate these people and kidnap protesters under the pretense of lawful authority.
At this point why even bother? Just become the lawful authority, at least that way you get a dental plan and you can still do the same stuff.
Old 17th July 2020, 01:33 PM   #24
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

It's fairly pointless to point out right wing hypocrisy in situations like this. Right wingers don't actually care if they are perceived as hypocrites. All that matters is winning, by any means necessary, including unconstitutional or illegal means. Right wingers don't care about principles except for when they can be used as a weapon against the left.

In other words, stop expecting these people to be principled or obey the law.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 01:41 PM   #25
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

So the folks who gave us Jade Helm & multiple UN takeover conspiracies are noticeably silent about all this.

Its OK, I've been assured that Trump isn't uniquely bad as a US President.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 02:08 PM   #26
portlandatheist
Illuminator

Nobody wants them here including our governor, our senators, and our Mayor.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 02:33 PM   #27
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
At this point why even bother? Just become the lawful authority, at least that way you get a dental plan and you can still do the same stuff.

Nominated!

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 03:51 PM   #28
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Doesn't matter. Portland's within 100 miles of the ocean, that makes it a border, that makes this border enforcement, which can't be limited by the Constitution or the terrorists win.

The ACLU's been hammering this klaxon for decades, so far to no avail. But now that it's not just brown people's faces getting eaten maybe people will pay attention.
Beelzebuddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 05:07 PM   #29
webfusion
Philosopher

If you read interviews of people who live in N.Portland, they are glad that something is being done to take back their streets & parks.
webfusion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 05:20 PM   #30
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
That looks like a fun website, in a sad sort of way.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 05:30 PM   #31
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

This is what I don't understand. So Trump has ordered federal troops to take the law into their own hands without the consent of the police?

They are using the ruse it is to protect federal buildings and property.

Someone needs to limit the territory they are allowed to act in or something. The idea the federal government moving into cities in an aggressive act like this should scare the **** out of everyone.

Does Trump have an army of ICE, prison guards, federal agents and whoever is on his side to outgun the army and national guards?

I don't think so but what about an army of Trumpers slipping into positions like this?

When we were marching against GW's Iraq War these unmarked goons were here in Seattle. They were working with police.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 05:32 PM   #32
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by webfusion View Post
If you read interviews of people who live in N.Portland, they are glad that something is being done to take back their streets & parks.
That has a familiar ring to it.

First they came for the other guys, but I wasn't an other guy so I said nothing...

Old 17th July 2020, 05:54 PM   #33
blutoski
Penultimate Amazing

My impression is that they don't consider this to be an example of tyranny.

"Tyranny" looks like The Turner Diaries. Uppity negroes under the authority of the president who was appointed by the UN go house to house taking away white people's guns.
Old 17th July 2020, 06:08 PM   #34
webfusion
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That has a familiar ring to it.

First they came for the other guys, but I wasn't an other guy so I said nothing...
Are you saying that the residents of this area have something to fear from these Federal agents making the effort to stop the mayhem around their homes & businesses that has been in evidence for weeks?
webfusion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 06:18 PM   #35
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Are you saying that the residents of this area have something to fear from these Federal agents making the effort to stop the mayhem around their homes & businesses that has been in evidence for weeks?
Yeah, I do.

First, they aren't stopping any mayhem as far as I can see.

Second, you have a police department. You have a mayor and a governor. They had the option of bringing in the National Guard.

Now all of a sudden you have the POTUS bringing in his own police force, unnamed, unidentified. Did Trump or said unnamed department get called in? Did they even consult with the area government?

Do you really want unnamed police there hauling off whoever they suspect?

It looks like they feel they have the right to arrest anyone. How do you know they aren't simply arresting Trump's political opponents? Or reporters? You just have faith?

What the hell is wrong with identifying themselves? What is that even about?

Old 17th July 2020, 06:27 PM   #36
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Amazing how the people of Portland are so desperately concerned about graffiti on the walls of federal buildings and are grateful that federal officers have come to put a stop to it.
Old 17th July 2020, 06:32 PM   #37
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Amazing how the people of Portland are so desperately concerned about graffiti on the walls of federal buildings and are grateful that federal officers have come to put a stop to it.
And that those same federal officers are so eager to lend assistance they've absentmindedly misplaced their identification in their rush to respond, and the unmarked vans were the only ones they could find the keys to.
Beelzebuddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 06:41 PM   #38
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Citation, please, because I sincerely doubt your claim is true. N. Portland is a predominantly black area. I don't think they're happy that the government has sent in federal troops to arrest BLM protesters.
Old 17th July 2020, 06:42 PM   #39
rdwight
Muse

Not a huge amount of info on this until last couple days. What possible reason would people agree with this? First off, yes, people should be able to defend themselves by any means when unmarked, and unannounced armed men try to detain and shove them into an unmarked van. I don't care if the ones detained were clearly criminals, this sort of enforcement is a scare tactic no one should agree with. Don't have the energy to research more on this tonight but this opinion stands no matter the circumstances or underlying reasoning.
rdwight is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th July 2020, 06:46 PM   #40
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

In other words, people are saying.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics