ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags police incidents , police issues , police misconduct charges , Portland incidents , Portland issues , protest incidents , protest issues

Old 18th July 2020, 01:27 PM   #121
Arcade22
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
This is what I don't understand. So Trump has ordered federal troops to take the law into their own hands without the consent of the police?

They are using the ruse it is to protect federal buildings and property.

Someone needs to limit the territory they are allowed to act in or something. The idea the federal government moving into cities in an aggressive act like this should scare the **** out of everyone.
I'm pretty sure that Federal law enforcement don't need permission from local police to operate anywhere nor can state governors bar their presence. Federal agencies are not regulated by state law.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 01:27 PM   #122
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
One is too many.

Arrest and detention without probable cause is a direct violation of US Citizens' 4th amendment rights except under some very limited exceptions... none of which exist here.
You don't have enough evidence to conclude they did not satisfy probable cause.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 02:11 PM   #123
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Some states have very broad stand-your-ground laws. It would be interesting for someone to lethally shoot one of these guys then use a stand-your-ground law as a defense. The right-wingers would be in a real bind regarding who to support. So would the NRA.
The odds of a person shooting one of these guys and then being arrested and ending up in court are surely remote. Anyone trying it would probably be shot and killed themselves almost immediately. There would be no trial, and no use of a "stand-your-ground" law would ensue.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 02:26 PM   #124
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
I'm pretty sure that Federal law enforcement don't need permission from local police to operate anywhere nor can state governors bar their presence. Federal agencies are not regulated by state law.
The USA is not a strict hierarchy. The Constitution gives to States the authority and powers not expressly given to the federal government. There are restrictions in terms of jurisdiction. For example IIRC the federal government cannot charge an individual for many crimes that a state can. Even a murder committed within a state typically cannot be persecuted under federal law unless it meets a variety of additional criteria (I believe such as kidnapping, murder of a federal agent, etc.).
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 02:41 PM   #125
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
I'm not even sure "under arrest" is a definite legal term. But it's generally associated with being read your rights and handcuffed. That was happening as far as I understand.

Someone apparently researched this to find a legal way to allow Trump to do what he wanted.

Knowing Bob is not a knee-jerk defender of police powers ... if his reading tells him this is constitutional I'm afraid he's correct. Trump got his goon squad and is pretty proud of it.
Here's what I found on the difference between being detained and being arrested. It seems there is a fine line between the two.

Quote:
In general, police officers are free to strike up a conversation with anyone they like. If a reasonable person would feel free to leave the situation at any time, it is neither a detention not an arrest. However, if a reasonable person would not feel free to leave, then the situation is either a detention or an arrest. Here is how to tell which it is.

Detention

A detention is a “brief and cursory” holding and questioning. This occurs when you are pulled over for a traffic violation or questioned about suspicious behavior. To legally detain you, the officer must have “reasonable suspicion” that you are or were involved in a crime. Detentions must last no longer than necessary and must be conducted with the least intrusive, reasonably available means.

Arrest

You can only be legally arrested if the officer has either a warrant or “probable cause.” Probable cause is a stricter standard than reasonable suspicion, and it means that the officer must have reason to believe it is likely that are you committing or have committed a crime.

If you are detained by a police officer for a prolonged period of time, the detention could turn into a de facto arrest. Likewise, if the officer finds evidence during the detention that triggers the probable cause threshold, the detention could become an official arrest. An arrest typically involves more severe restraints on your movement, such as handcuffing and placing you in the back of the police car, along with a verbal advisement that you are under arrest. However, if a reasonable person would consider the officer’s behavior to be consistent with an arrest, then the courts generally agree that an arrest has occurred.
https://www.nonstopjustice.com/blog/...the-difference
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 02:43 PM   #126
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
The USA is not a strict hierarchy. The Constitution gives to States the authority and powers not expressly given to the federal government. There are restrictions in terms of jurisdiction. For example IIRC the federal government cannot charge an individual for many crimes that a state can. Even a murder committed within a state typically cannot be persecuted under federal law unless it meets a variety of additional criteria (I believe such as kidnapping, murder of a federal agent, etc.).
I think hate crimes are also included in that list of criteria.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 02:49 PM   #127
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Here's what I found on the difference between being detained and being arrested. It seems there is a fine line between the two.

https://www.nonstopjustice.com/blog/...the-difference
There may be doubt in cases where an officer seems to be preventing a person from going about their business, but seizing them and driving them away in an van does not seem to leave much doubt.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 02:55 PM   #128
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
There may be doubt in cases where an officer seems to be preventing a person from going about their business, but seizing them and driving them away in an van does not seem to leave much doubt.
I am not contesting that in the slightest. Being handcuffed, put in a police/law enforcement vehicle and/or taken to the police station is definitely an arrest.
Old 18th July 2020, 02:58 PM   #129
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
No you didn't. You read "she reappeared just fine" which simply means she actually reappeared and was ok, with "The situation is fine because she reappeared". Those are two completely different things, but somehow you managed to misread it. Twice.

Which is why I asked: OMG, is that what you meant? Or were you just saying they didn't actually disappear?

I think we're done here.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 03:05 PM   #130
Belz...
Fiend God

Which is why I asked: OMG, is that what you meant? Or were you just saying they didn't actually disappear?

I think we're done here.
I was asking a question based on previous such events. No one has answered it so far. So you didn't understand it. Do you now? Do you have an answer?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 03:26 PM   #131
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Someone apparently researched this to find a legal way to allow Trump to do what he wanted.
Someone seems determined to make Black Lives Matter into Trump's Reichstag Fire. I doubt Trump has ever heard of it, but there are those with his ear who most definitely have.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 03:49 PM   #132
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

I think we're done here.
I can think of nothing more terrifying than seeing a son or daughter whisked off in an unmarked vehicle after being “detained” by officers without insignias. Who would you even call?

This is something that you might expect in Argentina. Not here.
Old 18th July 2020, 03:56 PM   #133
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
They preempted the hell out of that state law
Reading through that... not exactly.

With that said, the potentially relevant bits there are -

First -

Quote:
including duty in areas outside the property to the extent necessary to protect the property and persons on the property.
That's very vague and thus could potentially be spun to allow the rather significantly extended range of operations as they go after potential graffiti creators.

Second -

Quote:
has reasonable grounds to believe that the person to be arrested has committed or is committing a felony
Similarly, this allows leeway.

Now, combining the two in practice, if "reasonable grounds" equates to "person walking on a sidewalk several blocks away while wearing black clothes," presumably given the understanding that the Black Bloc, aka the largely anarchist subset of Antifa, tends to wear black, without any actual indication that 1) the graffiti was done by someone similar to them in the first place and 2) that the person in question had any direct indications that they might have been or would be involved with the graffiti, that's going to be rather difficult to defend as valid in court - hence some context for the apparent release without charges in the example cited in the OPB article.

Going further, even with this, that federal officers are allowed to arrest without a warrant under certain situations is not actually in conflict with the cited state laws and the parts that they were stated to have been violating. The state law cited deals with procedure, first and foremost. Nothing in what you cited, for example, conflicts with the (reasonable) requirement that the reason for the arrest be made known. As for whether it's an arrest...

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Jack by the hedge says it just fine there.
Old 18th July 2020, 04:01 PM   #134
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I can think of nothing more terrifying than seeing a son or daughter whisked off in an unmarked vehicle after being “detained” by officers without insignias. Who would you even call?

I guess you have never heard of the FBI. They drive unmarked cars and do not have insignias on their clothing.
For that matter - neither do state cops or city cops or county cops or town cops who are working plainclothes. I won't even get into undercover officers.
Your pearls must be all worn out after all that clutching...

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 04:09 PM   #135
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
I guess you have never heard of the FBI. They drive unmarked cars and do not have insignias on their clothing.
For that matter - neither do state cops or city cops or county cops or town cops who are working plainclothes. I won't even get into undercover officers.
I don’t know how common it is, but as a deputy sheriff I was often dispatched to provide “uniform presence”. That was so a marked car would identify that a raid by SWAT or whoever was “official”.

I have heard of the FBI. They often wear jackets that coincidentally say FBI in large letters. They also tend to produce ID to confirm who they represent, and their names. Always? I can’t say, but pretty sure that’s SOP across many departments.
Old 18th July 2020, 04:12 PM   #136
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sure all true libertarians are mortally offended by this expansion of the power of the Federal Government.
Aren't they?
Old 18th July 2020, 04:13 PM   #137
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

I was asking a question based on previous such events. No one has answered it so far. So you didn't understand it. Do you now? Do you have an answer?
To actually answer a bit, then... Honestly, I'm doubtful that any of us are likely to have an answer yet. That they're going after people in the streets for seemingly no reasonable cause is one thing. The singular case of Portland release without charge in the July 16th OPB article is not enough to meaningfully base much in the way of conclusions about whether anyone has been "disappeared" or not, especially given that if someone was "disappeared" in this way, it very possibly would be difficult to track or verify in a short period of time. Going further, though, the federal agencies that seem likely to have been brought in have problematic histories when it comes to wrongful arrests and detainments that do not even remotely get resolved in a timely manner, if I recall correctly.

Last edited by Aridas; 18th July 2020 at 04:15 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 04:15 PM   #138
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
Plainclothes and undercover cops don't usually constitute an armed force in camo with unmarked vans.

When the FBI raids a location they have FBI clearly marked on their jackets or shirts. There's a big difference.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 04:20 PM   #139
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Going further, even with this, that federal officers are allowed to arrest without a warrant under certain situations is not actually in conflict with the cited state laws and the parts that they were stated to have been violating. The state law cited deals with procedure, first and foremost. Nothing in what you cited, for example, conflicts with the (reasonable) requirement that the reason for the arrest be made known. As for whether it's an arrest....
Again, states cannot tell federal officials how to do their job enforcing federal law. It is basic preemption. The feds don't even have to bother spelling it out here.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 04:27 PM   #140
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
To actually answer a bit, then... Honestly, I'm doubtful that any of us are likely to have an answer yet. That they're going after people in the streets for seemingly no reasonable cause is one thing. The singular case of Portland release without charge in the July 16th OPB article is not enough to meaningfully base much in the way of conclusions about whether anyone has been "disappeared" or not, especially given that if someone was "disappeared" in this way, it very possibly would be difficult to track or verify in a short period of time. Going further, though, the federal agencies that seem likely to have been brought in have problematic histories when it comes to wrongful arrests and detainments that do not even remotely get resolved in a timely manner, if I recall correctly.
On the other hand, people taken in this manner could report on social media once released.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 04:29 PM   #141
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Could Congress do anything about this?

Let's say for example, Democratic leaders make it public that they will seek indictments against anyone participating in these unconstitutional acts if the Democrats win the coming election - from leadership down to foot-soldiers. Could that have a dampening effect or would it only serve to further the "us-vs-them" narrative in these peoples' heads?

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 04:39 PM   #142
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Could Congress do anything about this?

Let's say for example, Democratic leaders make it public that they will seek indictments against anyone participating in these unconstitutional acts if the Democrats win the coming election - from leadership down to foot-soldiers. Could that have a dampening effect or would it only serve to further the "us-vs-them" narrative in these peoples' heads?
Indictments from whom? The DOJ? Or DAs?

Old 18th July 2020, 04:51 PM   #143
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

What you've all missed (typically) is that Portland is a dry-run of the comprehensive round-up Q has been telling the more informed of us about for years. None so blind, as they say ...

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 05:13 PM   #144
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

On the other hand, people taken in this manner could report on social media once released.
Of course in the original (Catch 22) "disappeared" referred to a terminal process, one which became all too horribly real in the torture and death-squad regimes so favoured by Kissinger. It has naturally tended towards hyperbolisation in rhetorical use, but it's worth noting that the initial experience of a death-squad action in, say, El Salvador (unidentified men arbitrarily plucking people off the street into unmarked vehicles) is indistinguishable from what's been seen in Portland.

Old 18th July 2020, 06:04 PM   #145
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

So I guess we only have “libertarians of convenience” after all. Oddly disappointing.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 06:14 PM   #146
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
So I guess we only have “libertarians of convenience” after all. Oddly disappointing.
I think on this issue im galaxy brain libertarian

Of course what is happening in Portland is Constitutional. That is why the constitution is bad and not a libertarian document.
Old 18th July 2020, 06:29 PM   #147
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Bob's the real deal.

Old 18th July 2020, 06:30 PM   #148
TahiniBinShawarma
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post

Only the whole "unidentified" isn't true.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unidentified.jpg (44.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Identified.jpg (113.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Identified2.jpg (101.9 KB, 40 views)
TahiniBinShawarma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 08:18 PM   #149
TahiniBinShawarma
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by TahiniBinShawarma View Post

Also
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Statement1.jpg (44.0 KB, 36 views)
TahiniBinShawarma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 08:23 PM   #150
TahiniBinShawarma
Critical Thinker

Also
Also, from the referenced order, second one for when the state complains about losing money.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg order1.jpg (31.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg order2.jpg (24.0 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by TahiniBinShawarma; 18th July 2020 at 08:28 PM.
Old 18th July 2020, 08:34 PM   #151
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

The Border Patrol is guarding statues. So good to know they have nothing more important to do.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 08:42 PM   #152
TahiniBinShawarma
Critical Thinker

The Border Patrol is guarding statues. So good to know they have nothing more important to do.
You mean they aren't "unidentified?"
Old 18th July 2020, 08:48 PM   #153
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

You mean they aren't "unidentified?"
They are unidentified. Your focus on the group standing in front of things is a strawman. That is a minor concern at this point.
Old 18th July 2020, 08:51 PM   #154
TahiniBinShawarma
Critical Thinker

They are unidentified. Your focus on the group standing in front of things is a strawman. That is a minor concern at this point.
The actual pictures show they are identified. Sorry if that upsets you, but it's reality.
Old 18th July 2020, 09:00 PM   #155
smartcooky
Suspended

Rubbish! Unidentified means they do not have name badges or badge numbers.

The US is slowly but surely becoming a Police State. With Trump being so enamoured with dictators and the authoritarian leaders of other Police States, this should not come as a surprise to anyone.

Compare where you are with civil rights, treatment of minorities and Trump's defiance of the Law now, with where you were in, say 2016. I warned back in 2018 that Americans were being softened up for this sort of thing. I would not at all be surprised if Trump tried declaring a national state of emergency to delay the November election.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 09:00 PM   #156
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

The actual pictures show they are identified. Sorry if that upsets you, but it's reality.
If they use an unmarked car, grab someone, do not allow.a person to view them, and do not tell the person they are arranging, they are unidentified. It doesn't matter of they install LEDs on the uniform.

It is why a person might say, "unidentified suspect" even if the suspect may have been wearing a nametag that no one saw. the presence of a nametag does not make them "identified."
Old 18th July 2020, 09:05 PM   #157
TahiniBinShawarma
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Rubbish! Unidentified means they do not have name badges or badge numbers...............hysterics snipped

Already answered
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Statement1.jpg (44.0 KB, 29 views)
Old 18th July 2020, 09:08 PM   #158
TahiniBinShawarma
Critical Thinker

If they use an unmarked car, grab someone, do not allow.a person to view them, and do not tell the person they are arranging, they are unidentified. It doesn't matter of they install LEDs on the uniform.

It is why a person might say, "unidentified suspect" even if the suspect may have been wearing a nametag that no one saw. the presence of a nametag does not make them "identified."

By your definition every LEO is unidentified simply by using an unmarked car. Also, you ignore the statement of what actually happened.
Old 18th July 2020, 09:12 PM   #159
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

The individual agents were unidentified, as far as I know. I don't know if their branch of service was clear in all cases.

Looks like everyone just piled on the tactical gear, going for that bad-ass Trump-goon-squad vibe.

ETA: And no masks in sight for the photo opp ...

Last edited by Minoosh; 18th July 2020 at 09:17 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th July 2020, 09:14 PM   #160
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
These secret police death squad tactics are disgusting to the extreme, but totally unsurprising given what the portland mayor and police were doing
What were the Portland mayor and police doing that justified this action?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics