ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags police incidents , police issues , police misconduct charges , Portland incidents , Portland issues , protest incidents , protest issues

Old 24th July 2020, 04:37 AM   #321
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
Nothing. Never has been anything to stop some pack of random idiots from dressing up and pulling the same stunt in the US or Canada or any other country. What's your point?
I think his point is that given the lack of official police badge and procedure it makes it easier for would-be evildoers to get away with this sort of thing, were they tempted to.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 05:34 AM   #322
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rockinkt View Post
Hilarious! Do you write a lot of comedy bits professionally or is this just a hobby?
They did it in NYC protests.

And in DC.

And in Oakland.

And in Sanford.

And in the CHOP

And in Baltimore - there were no protests at all when the cops ambushed a large group of teenager traveling home from their high schools

We did it in Boston.

You've plainly never even seen a civil rights protest before - if you did, you'd know that groups like BLM, National Action Network, SPLC, and numerous churches, discuss exactly how to do this, and mostly have since their inception. And frankly, you sound like one of those bigots that accused MLK Jr or *"rioting" back in the 50s and 60s.

Last edited by Mumbles; 24th July 2020 at 05:38 AM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 05:36 AM   #323
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I think his point is that given the lack of official police badge and procedure it makes it easier for would-be evildoers to get away with this sort of thing, were they tempted to.
Much easier - also, with no identifying markers, and police wearing the exact same pseudomilitary crap that white supremacists and other gun fondlers like to dress up in, there's no real way to tell the difference between them.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 05:44 AM   #324
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Much easier - also, with no identifying markers, and police wearing the exact same pseudomilitary crap that white supremacists and other gun fondlers like to dress up in, there's no real way to tell the difference between them.
The Proud Boys and Boogaloos usually have 4-5 more rifles hanging off each of their shoulders, but other than that....

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 06:13 AM   #325
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HoverBoarder View Post
You think they went away to sip tea, and watch the rest of this peacefully on TV?
Saying, "same" means idea identical. Therefore, the only people that are the same as the people you describe, are the actual limited people that did the deed. As not all the protestors did it,the other crowd is not the same.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 07:23 AM   #326
Leftus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
They could. I doubt they'd go anywhere. For instance, the renter of record was presumably under orders to rent a minivan on behalf of the Executive Branch. I'd love to hear how this pencil-pusher is going to be argued into being a conspirator
That's not how it works. The person renting the vehicle would be physically there, and not in some dark corner of a building in DC. They would have to be physically there to present the Credit Card, take possession of the rental and the keys. He would then have to hand the keys off, against GSA rules, to the nefarious actors.

Why the use of the Executive Branch? Why not just the actual agency? Been working for various federal agencies for 12 years now. I've received exactly ZERO communications directly from the "Executive Branch." Sure, some spam from agency heads, but directives? Honestly, it's close to a conspiracy theory.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 07:31 AM   #327
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

CNN has a decent summary of what's gone down, hitting the major points without the hysterics

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/24/polit...ump/index.html
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 07:45 AM   #328
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
That's not how it works. The person renting the vehicle would be physically there, and not in some dark corner of a building in DC. They would have to be physically there to present the Credit Card, take possession of the rental and the keys. He would then have to hand the keys off, against GSA rules, to the nefarious actors.

Why the use of the Executive Branch? Why not just the actual agency? Been working for various federal agencies for 12 years now. I've received exactly ZERO communications directly from the "Executive Branch." Sure, some spam from agency heads, but directives? Honestly, it's close to a conspiracy theory.
Not sure what kind of rentals you have worked with, but I personally have picked up rental cars reserved online by others without showing a card. Drivers license, of course. So as I have been saying, the Philly DA has little to work with but violating the rental driver agreement, which im pretty sure the feds could handle. The warm bodies to charge, and who ordered who to do what and under who's authority, remains toothless.

Executive branch used as shorthand, because we know the buck will stop there and provide its resources to any accused security agency.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain

Last edited by Thermal; 24th July 2020 at 07:47 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 07:50 AM   #329
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Suppose I rent a car, and suppose that car gets flagged for running a red light by a red light camera. The police call the rental car company, and they give the police my name.

Now, I can try to claim that "it wasn't me who was driving," but you better believe I am not going to get away with it unless I can provide a viable explanation for who was driving.

Many rental car companies even require you to identify all those who will be driving the car.

So don't anybody give us this "they can't trace the car because they don't know the person who rented it will be driving it" nonsense. That's not how it works. As you point out, the person who rented the car knows who's in it. If it wasn't them who is doing it, then they need to explain why the car they rented was used in this way. And that includes things like, saying who did it.
Old 24th July 2020, 08:04 AM   #330
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Border Patrol Agent Bob, who normally is the coffee boy, picks up the rented van as ordered.

His superior demands the keys and Bob does not see them again till it is time to return it.

Bob may or may not be charged with whatever Hertz' penalty is for violating the rental agreement.

Any requests regarding the orders Bob received and who ended up driving are evaded/'thats classified' etc

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 08:08 AM   #331
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Also, I still don't get the rented minivan thing. The Military, Homeland etc have a rather staggering budget. They're down to renting minivans like a siburban family on vacation?

Old 24th July 2020, 08:19 AM   #332
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Many rental car companies even require you to identify all those who will be driving the car.
Everyone keeps saying that, but I don't think it's actually true. I believe that for many corporate accounts, you do not need to specify all drivers. It suffices that they are employees of the company authorized to drive the car.

The federal government rents cars on a corporate account.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 09:02 AM   #333
Leftus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
The federal government rents cars on a corporate account.
No, when it's rented, it's rented on a GSA issued visa card in the name of the Employee. It's always linked to an employee, who is ultimately responsible for the spending on the card. Without this accounting, it would be all but impossible to determine legit from illegitimate chargers.

Cards issued to purchase office supplies are issued to individuals, and not to a nameless corporate account.

I've rented a few cars for Official government work. I'm fairly familiar with the rules and still have the card. For the record, I can't even use the card and pay it off, thus incurring no costs for the government. That would be wrong, and I would lose the privilege of having the card.

The GSA does maintain a fleet, but there are none in Oregon, they would have had to driven down from Washington.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 09:07 AM   #334
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

No, when it's rented, it's rented on a GSA issued visa card in the name of the Employee. It's always linked to an employee, who is ultimately responsible for the spending on the card.
Yes, a single identifiable employee rents the car. But that isn't the question. The question is whether other employees of the same renting company can drive the car without being specifically identified to the car rental company. I believe they can, and your post doesn't indicate that they cannot.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 09:12 AM   #335
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Govt pencil pusher Smith rents minivan online. This can happen.

Coffee boy Bob picks up reserved minivan, showing his license. This can also happen.

Stormtroopers without badges or nametags, but with full head and face covering per OP video, board and hit the streets.

How is the DA going to charge anyone again?

Old 24th July 2020, 09:27 AM   #336
Belz...
Fiend God

Why is this thread about rental cars now?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 09:37 AM   #337
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Coffee boy Bob picks up reserved minivan, showing his license. This can also happen.

Stormtroopers without badges or nametags, but with full head and face covering per OP video, board and hit the streets.

Im a terrible coffee boy.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 09:48 AM   #338
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Why is this thread about rental cars now?
Because some feel a need to find a way to avoid holding Nazi storm troopers responsible for their action.
Old 24th July 2020, 09:59 AM   #339
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I can't help but notice that there's not so much as a peep from these ultra patriot types that have spent the better part of the last half century talking tough about the importance of an armed stand against tyrannical government. I guess the real thing isn't as appealing. snipped
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_boxes_of_liberty

"The four boxes of liberty is an idea that proposes: "There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."

When the gov.org proposes to take all the (whatevers) into custody and hold them without due process of law it's time to gear up.

Arresting rioters doesn't qualify.

Read the second line of my sig.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 10:28 AM   #340
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Because some feel a need to find a way to avoid holding Nazi storm troopers responsible for their action.
I wonder when people will figure out that Godwining doesn't work.
Old 24th July 2020, 10:29 AM   #341
Belz...
Fiend God

I wonder when people will figure out that Godwining doesn't work.
Of course it works. Sometimes a spade is a spade. And sometimes hyperbole drives the point home.

Old 24th July 2020, 11:04 AM   #342
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Of course it works. Sometimes a spade is a spade. And sometimes hyperbole drives the point home.
And the other 99.9% of the time....
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 11:13 AM   #343
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
And the other 99.9% of the time....
Should we never make the comparison because it's usually hyperbolic?

Old 24th July 2020, 11:39 AM   #344
Leftus
Graduate Poster

Yes, a single identifiable employee rents the car. But that isn't the question. The question is whether other employees of the same renting company can drive the car without being specifically identified to the car rental company. I believe they can, and your post doesn't indicate that they cannot.
From the manual - Authorized Drivers. Persons authorized to operate vehicles rented under this Agreement, if properly licensed, include the renter, and without additional charge, the renter's fellow employees while acting within the scope of their employment duties. Such additional drivers need not be listed on the rental agreement.

So the renter has to be a part of the party, if you will. So while I could rent a car and hand the keys over to a team mate, I can't just hand them to anyone in the building.

The notion that some "pencil pusher" is renting cars from the bowels of the government and passing them out like candy is just not how it works. Agent Smith, so long as he is on the travel documents, can rent the car and share it with his fellow agents. But it's not going to be someone not on the trip, or in a bunker somewhere getting directives from the "Executive Branch."
Old 24th July 2020, 11:42 AM   #345
Leftus
Graduate Poster

Conspiracy. Change "car rental" to "bomb parts" and the logic remains sound. Since they both ignored, or intentionally flouted GSA rules and guidelines in vehicle procurement, they don't come in with clean hands.

Govt. Paper pusher Smith knows this because he underwent some training when getting the credit card.

If you'd read the rules, perhaps you can build a scenario that follows them : https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Do...lAgreement.pdf

Last edited by Leftus; 24th July 2020 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Adding source
Old 24th July 2020, 12:45 PM   #346
Mumbles
Philosopher

Exactly. Godwin's law isn't any sort of fallacy, just a rule of thumb that says that the chance of someone mentioning hitler approaches 1 the longer the argument gets. When someone on Twitter tried to invoke it concerning Richard Spencer the Human Speedbag, Michael Godwin chimed it that it was completely appropriate, since Spencer was clearly styling himself as a nazi.
Old 24th July 2020, 12:59 PM   #347
Gulliver Foyle
Thinker

As a follow up, to the video, Cline also noted that there are three officers who have eye injuries because of the laser attacks, and they may not recover sight in those eyes. Having three officers facing potential partial blindness was likely a primary reason to question the suspect in the van abduction incident. He also noted that the more violent protesters have begun talking about attacking the water supplies for the Federal Courthouse building. That is not even mentioning the comments I have seen of people wanting to kidnap or kill officers in retaliation for the van abduction incident.

One of the clear problems is that you have people attacking officers without a good way for the agents protecting the building to make arrests in a safe way without the more violent protesters becoming more violent. To be clear, I am sure that the FPS and CBP officers would be more than happy to stay in the courthouse if they were not being attacked every night.

The Navy veteran being attacked and having his hand broken for asking the officers a question was pretty horrific. However, from the news, I had the impression that officers were roaming around neighborhoods looking for people dressed in black to abduct and question. Now that I know more information on the background, I think it is pretty irresponsible for the news and the Mayor to be goading on the violence for click bait and likes.

It's Mayor Wheeler's city that is being destroyed, and he bears a lot of responsibility for all of the boarded up businesses. With 52 nights of straight violent protests, you can be pretty sure that there will be violence at the Courthouse on night 53, or 60, or 75, and maybe even 100. It is incredibly likely that there will be at least a few deaths in the time with the escalating violence, and the Mayor is almost entirely responsible for allowing the violence to continue. He could absolutely support and encourage peaceful protests while stopping the violent ones.

If the Mayor wanted, he could stop the violence at the Courthouse both to and from the CBP officers by setting up a setback zone, and declaring areas a riot as soon as they become violent.

If the protesters wanted their message to not be hijacked and stay peaceful, they could set up their own setback zone.

I definitely agree with holding the CBP accountable, but Wheeler needs some accountability too. Wheeler and the Governor are making a conscious choice to allow the violence to continue, and they are just as responsible if not more than the CBP officer who broke the Navy veteran, Christopher David's hand.
Lots of people who in Germany in February 1933 were talking as you are now ended up in the Konzentrationslagers.

Here's hoping you never become an "enemy of the state".
Old 24th July 2020, 01:01 PM   #348
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

If you'd read the rules, perhaps you can build a scenario that follows them : https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Do...lAgreement.pdf
Was the Defense Department even involved?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 01:20 PM   #349
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

No of course not. But it would help if we knew which was which. Maybe you could tell us that this time, you really really really really really, really mean it, cross your heart and hope to die, and all those other times were just tests to see if we were awake.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 01:21 PM   #350
Belz...
Fiend God

No of course not. But it would help if we knew which was which. Maybe you could tell us that this time, you really really really really really, really mean it, cross your heart and hope to die, and all those other times were just tests to see if we were awake.
I think you have me confused with another poster.

Old 24th July 2020, 01:26 PM   #351
Leftus
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Was the Defense Department even involved?
Oddly, those rules govern my non DOD agency when it comes to rentals.

They are the general rules, and it was the most public version I could find.
Old 24th July 2020, 02:13 PM   #352
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Page 5 (hilight mine):
15. Authorized Drivers. Persons authorized to operate vehicles rented under this Agreement, if properly licensed, include the renter, and without additional charge, the renter's fellow Government travelers in official travel status while acting within the scope of their employment duties. Such additional drivers need not be listed on the rental agreement.
How would the scenario detailed above violate the rules?
Old 24th July 2020, 02:21 PM   #353
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I think you have me confused with another poster.
I was using the royal you, much as you used the royal we:

Quote:
Old 24th July 2020, 02:24 PM   #354
Belz...
Fiend God

I was using the royal you, much as you used the royal we:
No, I was using the regular "we".

Old 24th July 2020, 03:08 PM   #355
3point14
Pi

This reddit post with accompanying video is entitles 'Portland is a Warzone'.

After watching the video, it's hard to argue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreak..._is_a_warzone/

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 03:17 PM   #356
HoverBoarder
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
This reddit post with accompanying video is entitles 'Portland is a Warzone'.

After watching the video, it's hard to argue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreak..._is_a_warzone/
Well Mayor Wheeler, this is completely your making. Hope that it is everything that you wished for.
HoverBoarder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 03:19 PM   #357
3point14
Pi

Well Mayor Wheeler, this is completely your making. Hope that it is everything that you wished for.
Is he one of the blokes chucking teargas and firing rubber bullets? Or one of those dangerously wielding umbrellas and leaf blowers? Sorry, I've not been keepig track.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 04:35 PM   #358
HoverBoarder
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Is he one of the blokes chucking teargas and firing rubber bullets? Or one of those dangerously wielding umbrellas and leaf blowers? Sorry, I've not been keepig track.
He's the one who put the dance partners together, and watched his ballet unfold. He definitely could have at any point heeded all of the repeated calls to deescalate the situation, and set up a setback zone. There is a very specific reason that he is purposefully refusing to do that. The same reason that Trump is using the violence for his own personal political goals as well.

He sees people setting fires, he see the CPB respond, and chooses to encourage the violence to continue. His teargas stunt was pretty well planned for a photo-op. Kind of like those people who do dumb stuff on Youtube for views and likes.

Anyone remember this?

Quote:
PORTLAND, Ore. In a press conference held Monday morning after a third night of protests in Portland, Mayor Ted Wheeler asked Oregon Gov. Kate Brown to activate the National Guard to help protect facilities in the city.

Wheeler said he already asked Brown "three or four times" Sunday for the National Guard's support.

"The governor had alternative strategies that she suggested, including deploying more state police resources," Wheeler said.

He said although Brown denied his request to deploy the National Guard, she did agree to granting additional tools law enforcement could use in the field.

After what Wheeler saw happen Sunday night, he said he would like to repeat his request for the National Guard to help protect Portland.

"We do need more resources, more people, more personnel," he said.

"Last night, a small number of demonstrators provoked conflict. Last night, a small handful of rioters continued to hurt our city. They were violent. They harassed reporters and threatened our first responders."
HoverBoarder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 04:43 PM   #359
HoverBoarder
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by KATU news
In a press conference held Monday morning after a third night of protests in Portland, Mayor Ted Wheeler asked Oregon Gov. Kate Brown to activate the National Guard to help protect facilities in the city...

Wheeler said he understands that the National Guard members would only be responsible for protecting facilities. He said their assistance would free up local law enforcement to address crowd management.

"If we pour energy into preventing tragic outcomes at protests every night, we are diverting energy from justice," Wheeler said. "We must reach a day when we can stand before you and say, 'Portland is safe,' and have that ring true for our black community."

U.S. attorney for the district of Oregon Billy Williams emphasized the mayor's request saying, "What I saw at the Justice Center and courthouse this morning is sickening... We need more numbers to stop this ridiculous violence. This just cannot keep up."
Man, third night of protests... How many hospitalized people and boarded up businesses ago was that?
Old 24th July 2020, 10:41 PM   #360
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Read the second line of my sig.
I have sigs turned off (I'm not sure why anyone would leave them on) and it's not worth looking you up. What's your point?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics