ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 24th July 2020, 07:32 AM   #161
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
What is delicious about this is that when Charlotte wouldn't promise him carte blanc to fill their facility to capacity regardless of Covid19 ... telling him that it would depend on the circumstances surrounding Covid19 precautions when the time came ... he threw a tantrum, picked up his toys, and loudly proclaimed he was going to move it. Jacksonville, apparently, being more accommodating to his ego and destructive urges.

But not all of the GOP nomination functions have been cancelled, and now the essential ones are still going to be held.

Guess where?
When will people learn? Everything Trump touches dies. Well, more accurately everyone who gets involved with Trump comes off the worse for it. Business partners, contractors, friends, relatives, customers, staff, lawyers, political supporters, etc. They come away with their wallets emptied, their reputations in ruins, or both. His entire life has consisted of using other people and throwing them under a bus. Why not an entire city (or two) and all of the supporters who have devoted time, money, and resources toward delivering the type of epic coronation Trump had insisted on... until yesterday.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 08:35 AM   #162
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Yeah but I saw the original tweet and it doesn't have asterisks.
I never put them in.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 08:36 AM   #163
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I spoke to highly respected (Chairman) Senator @JimInhofe, who has informed me that he WILL NOT be changing the names of our great Military Bases and Forts, places from which we won two World Wars (and more!). Like me, Jim is not a believer in “Cancel Culture”.

Great job by @elonmusk in agreeing to build, in TEXAS, what is expected to be the largest auto plant anywhere in the world. He kept his word to me. Texas & @Tesla are big winners. MADE IN THE USA!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 08:39 AM   #164
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Why is Trump saying Elon Musk agreed’ to build in TX as if Trump made some big move that persuaded Musk to do so?
Same way Trump is with the Space X program
Old 24th July 2020, 08:42 AM   #165
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
I never put them in.
I'm not saying you did. I was curious so I checked and found nothing. I don't know what happened.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 08:45 AM   #166
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I spoke to highly respected (Chairman) Senator @JimInhofe, who has informed me that he WILL NOT be changing the names of our great Military Bases and Forts, places from which we won two World Wars (and more!). Like me, Jim is not a believer in “Cancel Culture”.
Could be wrong about this, but I don't think a single senator (even the chairman of the armed forces committee) can really do much to stop the renaming at this point.

Both the house and senate have passed defense spending bills that include provisions to rename bases, and the senate bill passed 86-14.

See: NPR

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 08:47 AM   #167
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Could be wrong about this, but I don't think a single senator (even the chairman of the armed forces committee) can really do much to stop the renaming at this point.

Both the house and senate have passed defense spending bills that include provisions to rename bases, and the senate bill passed 86-14.

See: NPR
The senator is correct. He will not be renaming the bases.

ETA: And by the way, only about half the bases named after confederates were around in WWI.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade

Last edited by slyjoe; 24th July 2020 at 08:48 AM.
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 08:47 AM   #168
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

At this point since it's become "a thing" in the political discourse, even if we rename, for instance, Fort Bragg there's a fair chance we'll just run into the "Yeah you can say it's technically called Willis Tower and put it on all the signs and paperwork you want, but don't kid yourself it's still the Sears Tower" problem.
Old 24th July 2020, 08:47 AM   #169
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Why is Trump saying Elon Musk agreed’ to build in TX as if Trump made some big move that persuaded Musk to do so?
He has always been perfectly happy to claim credit for things he has had nothing to do with.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 08:53 AM   #170
Garrison
Philosopher

SpaceX set up at Boca Chica because its in a state where there's plenty of potential employees with experience in spaceflight and there's plenty of room to blow stuff up. There was probably a political dimension in trying to make sure that Texas politicians had less reason to lobby in favour of some of the 'old space' firms. Trump had nothing to do with it.
Old 24th July 2020, 09:12 AM   #171
chrispy
Muse

The new Lincoln Project ad is a winner, even for them

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/s...87854823903232

enjoy
Old 24th July 2020, 09:23 AM   #172
Modified
Philosopher

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post

enjoy

That needs to go on national TV.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 09:31 AM   #173
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
SpaceX set up at Boca Chica because its in a state where there's plenty of potential employees with experience in spaceflight and there's plenty of room to blow stuff up. There was probably a political dimension in trying to make sure that Texas politicians had less reason to lobby in favour of some of the 'old space' firms. Trump had nothing to do with it.
And a clear shot over water to the east for launches. And hey, if the rocket goes awry there's a 50-50 chance it'll land on Mexico!
Old 24th July 2020, 09:42 AM   #174
EvilBiker
Spectral Challenger

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Good news: You win!

Bad news: You've just dated yourself!

https://youtu.be/Xjq1P5p3fso
I’m...well-informed
Old 24th July 2020, 09:43 AM   #175
TheSupermeerkat
Muse

And the Lincoln Project does it again,

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...e-with-Maxwell

Do these get shown on TV?
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 09:53 AM   #176
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
Allison Burger, Ladiz Washroom, Emplys Mustwashands

It certainly seemed that he was just picking words out of the air at the time, and their relative association to one another suggests a mind not exactly trying to overreach. All the same, I'm sure I'm not alone in giving him the old golf clap for his superhuman ability to remember 5 words.

trump is like the Mechanical Turk, but the guy inside died ages ago from secret government mind-rays.
Not out of the air. Camera, TV, think about it. Those were things he was looking at, aka cues.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 10:00 AM   #177
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
He has always been perfectly happy to claim credit for things he has had nothing to do with.
And pass the buck for things he has had everything to do with!
Old 24th July 2020, 10:01 AM   #178
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
And the Lincoln Project does it again,

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...e-with-Maxwell

Do these get shown on TV?
Yes they do.

Not all get shown on broadcast TV/cable (some are only shown on line), but they do sometime buy air time to target their ads to select states and/or broadcasters to get the best effect.

Example:
Argus Leader - Ads shown in south dakota prior to Trump's event there

Politico - Mentions broadcasting of ads in battleground states and on Fox News

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 10:24 AM   #179
slyjoe
Master Poster

The ads generally air in Arizona, but I think they are mostly targeted to Washington DC so Trump will see them.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 11:15 AM   #180
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

enjoy
The LP's slogan could be "when they go low, we give chase"

Also, even seeing Trump talking with a cartoon child instinctively gave me the willies.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig

Last edited by Safe-Keeper; 24th July 2020 at 11:22 AM.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 12:49 PM   #181
Galaxie
Muse

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Only three? Are you trying to suggest your mom is a cheap drunk?
Hey! That's my mama you're talking about!

Actually, she only recently took up wine drinking and needs more practice
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 01:12 PM   #182
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

He says he's going to do "something", but won't say what.

Quote:
Inhofe is now vowing to keep provisions to strip Confederate names from military bases out of the final National Defense Authorization Act -- although it's unclear how he could pull it off after both chambers of Congress approved similar efforts to get rid of the names with veto-proof majorities this week. Inhofe, who voted for the bill in the Senate, will be one of one of the four main negotiators in the conference committee to hammer out the final bill.
"We're going to see to it that provision doesn't survive the bill," Inhofe told The Oklahoman on Friday. "I'm not going to say how at this point."

Stomp his feet and hold his breath until they agree to remove the provision?
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 01:27 PM   #183
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Re: Trump claiming Inhofe ws going to prevent removal of confederate names from army bases...
Quote:
He says he's going to do "something", but won't say what.

Stomp his feet and hold his breath until they agree to remove the provision?
Start a snowball fight in the senate?

(Inhofe was the senator who brought a snowball into congress to 'prove' global warming was a hoax.)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 24th July 2020, 01:42 PM   #184
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
When will people learn? Everything Trump touches dies. Well, more accurately everyone who gets involved with Trump comes off the worse for it. Business partners, contractors, friends, relatives, customers, staff, lawyers, political supporters, etc. They come away with their wallets emptied, their reputations in ruins, or both.
On a related note:

Guilfoyle, a former Fox News personality and girlfriend of Donald Trump Jr., formally joined the president’s re-election bid as a senior adviser in 2019 and has been serving since February as the campaign’s national finance chair...according to Politico, she’s also overseen a money-raising operation rife with chaos, cronyism, and backstabbing.... staffers have reportedly been further upset by Guilfoyle claiming credit for their work—and for apparent disregard for rank-and-file campaign workers, as evidenced by an episode earlier this month in which she and Don Jr. left junior staffers stranded in South Dakota after she tested positive for COVID-19....The couple had originally made plans to road trip back to New York from South Dakota, where the president gave a dark and divisive speech in front of Mount Rushmore, but apparently took a private flight instead, leaving several junior campaign staffers who’d been in contact with the infected Guilfoyle behind to quarantine alone in their hotel rooms, “scared they’d get sick in a city they’d never set foot in before."

I don't really have any sympathy for those staffers... They knew what Trump and his clan were, with a history of turning on former supporters. They knew the risks of holding a large-scale gathering during a pandemic. But they went along.

Hard to know what part of the story that I like more...

- Seeing more Trump minions suffer because of their association with the Trump administration.
- That Trump has someone handling campaign finances who may be almost as incompetent as he is. (I am sure they will raise plenty of money, but probably not as much as they would have had they had someone competent in charge.)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 24th July 2020, 02:20 PM   #185
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

The Lincoln Project just uploaded a powerful follow-up to their Maxwell ad. The implication of what she might have on Trump is indeed troubling, and they set up the accusation wonderfully. Honestly, it's little more than a conspiracy theory setup, but god, do they do a good job setting it up and delivering it.

I would ask the Trump supporters what they make of all this, but it seems they haven't discovered this new thread yet. I'm sure they'll make their way over from the other threads any time, though .
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 02:26 PM   #186
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
The Lincoln Project just uploaded a powerful follow-up to their Maxwell ad.
Where? I can only see their first Maxwell add from this morning on their channel.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 02:36 PM   #187
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Where? I can only see their first Maxwell add from this morning on their channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqnCLoI9Eio

Oh. They took it down. Maybe it was accidentally uploaded too early.

Either way, it consisted first of a montage of Trump verbally abusing women, mostly female reporters, and then asking the question of why Trump is suddenly so nice and respectful when talking about the leader of a sex slave ring, and then, with this two-part setup delivered, asks what Maxwell has on Trump.

It's a powerful implication -- that Donald Trump, with his already established history of womanizing, sexual assault allegations, and being caught on tape bragging about forcibly kissing and groping women, is or has also been involved in organised sexual abuse of children.

It reminds me of the Pizzagate debacle, only it's a heck of a lot more plausible. Heck, if Trump's ever mentioned Pizzagate, it might even have been his usual projecting.
Old 24th July 2020, 03:19 PM   #188
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

enjoy
The really funny/sad thing is that it's not just the same clip repeated of him saying the list, it's him repeating the list so he says it four different times during that interview. And it looks like he was struggling by the last effort.
Old 24th July 2020, 04:00 PM   #189
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
The really funny/sad thing is that it's not just the same clip repeated of him saying the list, it's him repeating the list so he says it four different times during that interview. And it looks like he was struggling by the last effort.
Not surprising, given he usually can't remember the start of a sentence by the time he gets to the end of it.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 04:10 PM   #190
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Not surprising, given he usually can't remember the start of a sentence by the time he gets to the end of it.
Can't hold that against him... I get the same way trying to read the damn things.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 04:13 PM   #191
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Not out of the air. Camera, TV, think about it. Those were things he was looking at, aka cues.
At :18 seconds, he looks directly into the camera, and says "camera"
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 04:17 PM   #192
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 04:19 PM   #193
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Most of the time he never even gets to point B ever at all.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 04:19 PM   #194
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Hey, at least he recognized it as a camera! I bet Chris Wallace couldn't have done that.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 04:20 PM   #195
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, he does. The end point is always about himself.
Old 24th July 2020, 04:27 PM   #196
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
A genius.
There are chuckleheads who consider him a genius.

We are so *******
Old 24th July 2020, 05:24 PM   #197
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Hey, at least he recognized it as a camera! I bet Chris Wallace couldn't have done that.
Not in order.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 07:16 PM   #198
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
It's a powerful implication -- that Donald Trump, with his already established history of womanizing, sexual assault allegations, and being caught on tape bragging about forcibly kissing and groping women, is or has also been involved in organised sexual abuse of children.
I think it might be a decent time to put out a reminder that Trump has indeed been accused of sexual abuse of children in connection with Epstein.
Old 24th July 2020, 07:29 PM   #199
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
A genius.
There are chuckleheads who consider him a genius.

We are so *******
Pretty sure Kevin Kline was playing Trump in a Fish Called Wanda.

Wanda: Oh, right! To call you stupid would be an insult to stupid people! I've known sheep that could outwit you. I've worn dresses with higher IQs. But you think you're an intellectual, don't you, ape?

Donnie: Apes don't read philosophy.

Wanda: Yes they do,. They just don't understand it. Now let me correct you on a couple of things, OK? Aristotle was not Belgian. The central message of Buddhism is not "Every man for himself." And the London Underground is not a political movement. Those are all mistakes, Donnie. I looked them up..
Old 24th July 2020, 08:01 PM   #200
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Agreed.

I think it is more

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics