ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags language , racial slurs , racism issues , semantics , Stephen Hagan

Old 24th July 2020, 08:50 PM   #201
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
It's not nonsensical. We can argue about it until the cows come home, but a bunch of white people being offended on behalf of black people doesn't really speak to me. Remember the Redskins nonsense? Turns out most NAs didn't care about it.

And?

I'm not "trying" anything. Your perspective is not inevitable.
I think you mean THE Football Team™ nonsense!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

tl;dr

https://youtu.be/ejKvwawO0uA?t=634
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 08:51 PM   #202
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Yes, I did...
Ta

Missed that.

Still think it's stupid though sorry
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 08:54 PM   #203
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Ta

Missed that.

Still think it's stupid though sorry
Seeing as I don't remember if you answered this one...

Okay, cullennz, we get it.

Now, what would you do if you were in charge of Coon's overseas expansion plan. Do you just say, "Aaaah **** it, let's sell the Sepos and the Poms some good ol Coon!" or do you say, "Maybe we should change the name for this one?"

Same question if you want to sell golliwogs with Robertson's Marmalade in the US.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 08:59 PM   #204
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Seeing as I don't remember if you answered this one...
Obviously I would market it under a different name.

Same as Burger King in Aus is (albeit for licensing reasons in that case)

I have no Idea about the marmalade.

Never heard of it. Actually hate the stuff.

Is the name Robertson racist as well?
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 09:04 PM   #205
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Just googled it.

Gollywogs.

It says they don't do those any more.

Old 24th July 2020, 09:04 PM   #206
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Virtue signalling can be very profitable for a company.

Look at how much free publicity they are getting for this cheese. You can be sure that they will draw out the re-naming process for as long as possible.

Last edited by psionl0; 24th July 2020 at 09:08 PM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 09:04 PM   #207
angrysoba
Philosophile

Obviously I would market it under a different name.
"Obviously"? That's a surprise.

Same as Burger King in Aus is (albeit for licensing reasons in that case)

I have no Idea about the marmalade.

Never heard of it. Actually hate the stuff.

Is the name Robertson racist as well?
No, but some of those easily offended folk seem to get bent out of shape about golliwogs. Let me know if you need any clarification on that one.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 09:07 PM   #208
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

"Obviously"? That's a surprise.

No, but some of those easily offended folk seem to get bent out of shape about golliwogs. Let me know if you need any clarification on that one.
I just said I googled it and they don't do them anymore

Old 24th July 2020, 09:08 PM   #209
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

And why is it a surprise?

It would be a new market

Old 24th July 2020, 09:14 PM   #210
angrysoba
Philosophile

And why is it a surprise?

It would be a new market
Yeah, true. Every company "obviously" changes its brandname for every new market, right?

That's why you never heard of Nike, or Sony, or Apple, or Toyota, right? Because they all go by different names in New Zealand.

Old 24th July 2020, 09:22 PM   #211
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

No.

They might change it to suit the prospective customers though.

Mazda/ford. Vuaxhall/holden. Burger king/Hungry Jacks. Twix/Raidar Campbells/Bachelors. Axe/Lynx. KFC/PFK. Snickers/Marathon

Old 24th July 2020, 09:28 PM   #212
angrysoba
Philosophile

No.

They might change it to suit the prospective customers though.

Mazda/ford. Vuaxhall/holden. Burger king/Hungry Jacks. Twix/Raidar Campbells/Bachelors. Axe/Lynx. KFC/PFK. Snickers/Marathon
cullennz, the reason why you know you would "obviously" change the name from Coon if you tried to sell it in the US and the UK, is because you know full well that it would sound outright racist, and that no company would be foolish enough to think they can play the "wuh? racist?! no one told me that there is a totally unrelated use of this word?"

Now why don't you stop with the acting dumb persona. I don't believe anyone can be as thick as the character you play here.

Old 24th July 2020, 09:30 PM   #213
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I should add I find it humorous you were comparing a small brand of cheese on the **** end of nowhere to the biggest global brands in history.

Made me laugh and it is appreciated.

Old 24th July 2020, 09:32 PM   #214
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

cullennz, the reason why you know you would "obviously" change the name from Coon if you tried to sell it in the US and the UK, is because you know full well that it would sound outright racist, and that no company would be foolish enough to think they can play the "wuh? racist?! no one told me that there is a totally unrelated use of this word?"

Now why don't you stop with the acting dumb persona. I don't believe anyone can be as thick as the character you play here.
That is why I put obviously.

This doesn't change the fact I think it is stupid to change it in Aus because some Americans and apparently poms get offended aussies have been buying it for 100 odd years

Old 24th July 2020, 09:39 PM   #215
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I have already said from my very first post on this thread it is a private company so they can do what they want. I don't actually really care as I eat proper cheese, and have never or probably ever will eat this stuff.

Just think the reasoning is stupid.

Old 24th July 2020, 09:49 PM   #216
angrysoba
Philosophile

I should add I find it humorous you were comparing a small brand of cheese on the **** end of nowhere to the biggest global brands in history.

Made me laugh and it is appreciated.
Yeah, the fact they were global brands Was. The. *******. Joke! Coz, you see, it wouldn't really work as well if I sarcastically said,

Quote:
That's why you never heard of Fry's, or Wimpy, or Colmans, or HP Sauce, right? Because they all go by different names in New Zealand.
Because you would be like, "wuh? Never heard of them!"

So what was the playing dumb routine about before? Trolling?

This doesn't change the fact I think it is stupid to change it in Aus because some Americans and apparently poms get offended aussies have been buying it for 100 odd years
Poms are not getting offended. We've already been through this. I showed you who was upset about this. I'm not going to go through it again.

Old 24th July 2020, 10:04 PM   #217
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

English marmite does funny enough.

Edit: I have never heard of Fry's btw.

And though I think there are Wimpys in Auckland no one else would know what they are

Last edited by cullennz; 24th July 2020 at 10:08 PM.
Old 24th July 2020, 10:06 PM   #218
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

They call it Our Mate due to copyright again.

Old 24th July 2020, 10:12 PM   #219
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Actually there are no Wimpys now according to Wikipedia all the kiwi ones got rebranded

Old 24th July 2020, 10:16 PM   #220
EHocking
Philosopher

[anecdote]When I was younger, more stupid and untravelled youth in Australia, I and my pre/early teen friends would whisper vulgar jokes about the name Coon cheese with the full knowledge, at 10 years old or so, that it was a racist epithet used by salt of the earth Aussies when talking about indigenous people.[/anecdote]

To pretend that no one in Australia was aware of the other use of the word was to have lived in a bubble.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 10:20 PM   #221
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
[anecdote]When I was younger, more stupid and untravelled youth in Australia, I and my pre/early teen friends would whisper vulgar jokes about the name Coon cheese with the full knowledge, at 10 years old or so, that it was a racist epithet used by salt of the earth Aussies when talking about indigenous people.[/anecdote]

To pretend that no one in Australia was aware of the other use of the word was to have lived in a bubble.
I haven't said it wasn't. Or that people don't understand this.

But it is also a 100 year old brand name from someone's surname.

Old 24th July 2020, 10:30 PM   #222
EHocking
Philosopher

I haven't said it wasn't. Or that people don't understand this.
How about addressing what I was replying to.
I’ll quote you again and highlight the salient points.

My post addressed the common knowledge by Australians that the word was/is used as a racist epithet. Arguing that it is being changed due to delicate Poms or Yanks is just absurd.
Quote:
But it is also a 100 year old brand name from someone's surname.
”Tradition” is always a great excuse to continue to insult.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald

Last edited by EHocking; 24th July 2020 at 10:32 PM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 10:32 PM   #223
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
How about addressing what I was replying to.
I’ll quote you again and highlight the salient points.

”Tradition” is always a great excuse to continue to insult.
So change it.

It is stupid. But doesn't affect me in the least

Old 24th July 2020, 10:33 PM   #224
EHocking
Philosopher

So change it.

It is stupid. But doesn't affect me in the least
It is stupid.

But not for the stupid reasons you gave in the post I responded to.
Old 24th July 2020, 11:07 PM   #225
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
It was a question and you haven't answered it.

Look at it from another way.

You personally happened to have been born with the surname "Coon".

Would you personally legally change it?
Not directed at me, but that's a matter for the individual.

We all have different feelings and circumstances, even within families.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 11:08 PM   #226
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Likewise, this is ultimately not a precedent.

It's an individual matter - the brand's.

The conclusion to their announcement from their website:

https://www.saputodairyaustralia.com...eese-statement

"After thorough consideration, Saputo has decided to retire the COON® brand name. We are working to develop a new brand name that will honour the brand-affinity felt by our valued consumers while aligning with current attitudes and perspectives.

"We believe we all share in the responsibility to eliminate racism in all its forms and we feel this is an important step we must take to uphold this commitment."
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th July 2020, 11:13 PM   #227
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
Not directed at me, but that's a matter for the individual.

We all have different feelings and circumstances, even within families.
Good point tbf

Old 25th July 2020, 12:10 AM   #228
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
I just posed your question to her. She thought a few seconds before saying that no, it's still a problem.
Not that I want to encourage barracking your wife but would you be willing to ask her exactly why she wouldn't buy it?

What is the specific reason?

I'm genuinely interested as the only reason I can think of (in my limited capacity as a white person) is that she thinks it supports a racist agenda on the part of the manufacturer.
Old 25th July 2020, 12:23 AM   #229
PursuedByABear
Thinker

Originally Posted by bluesjnr View Post
Not that I want to encourage barracking your wife but would you be willing to ask her exactly why she wouldn't buy it?

What is the specific reason?

I'm genuinely interested as the only reason I can think of (in my limited capacity as a white person) is that she thinks it supports a racist agenda on the part of the manufacturer.
Is this guy's wife the only black person you have any tangential connection with? If not, can't you ask the ones you know?
PursuedByABear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 12:35 AM   #230
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by PursuedByABear View Post
I didn't say you were right-wing, I said it was a right wing tactic. It is.

I didn't in any way try and "tell you how to post". Quote the part you think did.

I know nothing about Australia.
There is a mistake I have seen posters on here make.

You openly admit you know nothing about Australia.

Just as a heads up.

Left and right politics in Aus and NZ is poles apart from what you know them as in the NH.

With the possible exception of that nutty racist chick Pauline Hanson.

Most parties are basically right or left of center and fight for the swing voter.

Old 25th July 2020, 12:43 AM   #231
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

A trip to Woolworths or making a cheese toastie will never be the same. Twenty-twenty has been brutal.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 12:57 AM   #232
PursuedByABear
Thinker

There is a mistake I have seen posters on here make.

You openly admit you know nothing about Australia.

Just as a heads up.

Left and right politics in Aus and NZ is poles apart from what you know them as in the NH.

With the possible exception of that nutty racist chick Pauline Hanson.

Most parties are basically right or left of center and fight for the swing voter.
Which is entirely irrelevant to the matter in hand.
PursuedByABear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 01:48 AM   #233
bluesjnr
Professional Nemesis for Hire

Originally Posted by PursuedByABear View Post
Is this guy's wife the only black person you have any tangential connection with? If not, can't you ask the ones you know?
I'll decide who I interact with and how I do so thank you. Quite the bossy boots around here ain'tcha? Lionking and then me..... who next boss?

Here's a thing you can have fun by coming to unsupported conclusions. I do not have any black friends. I have an associate (based in Manchester) at work with whom I do not have the depth of relationship to ask such a question. Other than Fahrid I do not know any other "black" persons.
Old 25th July 2020, 01:58 AM   #234
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Really? Okay I thought it was fairly obvious, but I am bemused that so many people think this name change is a serious issue when compared to indigenous disadvantage.

Do you think there is celebration in disadvantaged indigenous communities?
It sure has generated plenty of reactionary salt.
Sideroxylon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 02:11 AM   #235
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptical Greg View Post
Or " Fuchs "..

I knew a guy, a Catholic priest actually named " Fuchs " ..

He pronounced it " Fox ".. Father Fox..
I was thinking of a more blatant anglosisation. If this product name was one letter different it wouldn't be a problem.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 02:31 AM   #236
Belz...
Fiend God

Then will you at least concede that this general point is irrelevant for the discussion on Coon Cheese, given that the campaign is an indigenous one?
Sure.

Quote:
You are making the claim that these things are only white guiltists making racist assumptions about what black people or indigenous people should be offended by as though they are not even consulted
No, I am not. I'm saying that it happens in some instances, and that at the very least we should be sure that it offends those that are said to be offended before taking action.

(ETA: In other words I don't care that the n-word offends white people. I do care that it offends a large swath of black people, though.)

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Last edited by Belz...; 25th July 2020 at 02:40 AM.
Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 02:36 AM   #237
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Just for curiosity sake, does her initial response change if you tell her that the founder of the company's last name was Coon, and it was named after him?

It wasn't.

P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th July 2020, 02:44 AM   #238
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
It wasn't.
Tad pedantic.

It was the founder of the method to produce the horrible stuff.

Old 25th July 2020, 02:54 AM   #239
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Think it was actually a white Aussie comedian with Coon cheese leading it tbf.

You might want to read up a bit
The comedian who is associated with the story is Stephen K. Amos, he's British and black. Sorry if that's also being pedantic.

Old 25th July 2020, 02:58 AM   #240
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
The comedian who is associated with the story is Stephen K. Amos, he's British and black. Sorry if that's also being pedantic.
It appears to be a few people associated with it sorry if that's pedantic

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events