ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump

Old 29th July 2020, 11:11 AM   #1
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump: Nobody likes me!

I think there's a genuine glimpse into Trump's mind there. That's how he's felt his whole life; it's him against the world. Or perhaps more accurately, they're all out to get him. Note how one of his favorite words is "unfair". He's obsessed by how badly he thinks the world has treated him.
Old 29th July 2020, 11:12 AM   #2
Belz...
Fiend God

Good. I hope he gets more of that feeling as the days and months pass.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 11:24 AM   #3
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

This is classic sociopathic victim mentality. Anyone come to mind reading this?

Quote:
6. Lack of Contrition and Self-Serving Victimhood

When caught in the act with their unscrupulous behavior, most sociopaths and psychopaths will not show signs of contrition or remorse (unless it is strategically advantageous for them to do so). On the contrary, they are more likely to double or triple down on their aggressive tendencies, increase hostility, deny responsibility, accuse and blame others, and maintain a facade of arrogance and conceit. Interestingly, many sociopaths will invent a victimhood story for themselves: The romantic partner charged with domestic battery claims he was “set-up,” the investment advisor caught defrauding clients thinks he was betrayed, the politician whose policies harmed entire populations insists he’s being scapegoated, the business executive accused of setting up sweatshops overseas laments being singled out, and the media talking head penalized for spewing vile and hateful remarks believes she’s being persecuted. Casting themselves as victims can help sociopaths and psychopaths to defend their immoral conduct.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ern-psychopath
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 11:38 AM   #4
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

I can't wait for the worm eating phase.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 11:51 AM   #5
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
But they'll be only the BEST worms! The GREATEST worms in the history of worms! You'll never have seen anything like them! UNBELIEVABLE worms!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 11:55 AM   #6
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Poor baby.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 12:02 PM   #7
grunion
Philosopher

First to eat (presumably on some reality show to raise $$ to pay his fines, lots of people would pay to watch that.) Then to be eaten by.
ďOf all the offspring of Time, Error is the most ancient, and is so old and familiar an acquaintance, that Truth, when discovered, comes upon most of us like an intruder, and meets the intruder's welcome.Ē
― Charles Mackay, 1841 - Extraordinary Popular Delusions And The Madness Of Crowds
grunion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 12:25 PM   #8
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I think there's a genuine glimpse into Trump's mind there. That's how he's felt his whole life; it's him against the world. Or perhaps more accurately, they're all out to get him. Note how one of his favorite words is "unfair". He's obsessed by how badly he thinks the world has treated him.

It's just like how upset he's always been that the old money families in New York City never accepted him as a peer. Or more recently, world leaders.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 01:29 PM   #9
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Trump's probably right. I don't think anyone in his immediate social sphere likes him very much. They resent his ****** ways and begrudgingly kiss his ass for their inheritance or for proximity to his wealth and political power, but I don't think any of these people have much fondness for him as a person.

The people that actually like Trump, his adoring MAGA CHUD base, are people that Trump probably detests, so they don't really count.

Sounds stressful to be such a piece of **** that everyone hates.
Old 29th July 2020, 01:36 PM   #10
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

For once he's got something right!

The adage about a stopped clock being right twice a day springs to mind.
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 01:43 PM   #11
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Trump's probably right. I don't think anyone in his immediate social sphere likes him very much. They resent his ****** ways and begrudgingly kiss his ass for their inheritance or for proximity to his wealth and political power, but I don't think any of these people have much fondness for him as a person.

The people that actually like Trump, his adoring MAGA CHUD base, are people that Trump probably detests, so they don't really count.

That line from Song of Ice and Fire comes to mind. "Kings don't have friends, only subjects and enemies."
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 02:43 PM   #12
grunion
Philosopher

My Mother-In-Law likes him just fine.
ďOf all the offspring of Time, Error is the most ancient, and is so old and familiar an acquaintance, that Truth, when discovered, comes upon most of us like an intruder, and meets the intruder's welcome.Ē
― Charles Mackay, 1841 - Extraordinary Popular Delusions And The Madness Of Crowds
grunion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 02:48 PM   #13
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by grunion View Post
My Mother-In-Law likes him just fine.
My condolences.
Old 29th July 2020, 02:57 PM   #14
grunion
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
My condolences.
If you only knew.
Old 29th July 2020, 03:05 PM   #15
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by grunion View Post
If you only knew.
Pity. I absolutely adored my MIL. I miss her terribly.
Old 29th July 2020, 03:38 PM   #16
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I am sure that if Trump would stop being such a stupid, worthless, womanizing, lying POS, then there might be at least a few people who would like him.

However, Trump has been a disgusting individual for the last 60 years and I expect that he will only become more disgusting as time goes on.

As a result, Trump will continue to find that 'no one likes him' for the rest of his worthless life.
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 03:38 PM   #17
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

I agree. He has always aspired to be accepted by the 'real' rich and smart crowd but they never accepted him. He finally just bought his way into their circles. Didnt work. He wasnt raised like they were. He couldnt fake elite. Wasnt interested in higher things. He was too gauche. So he always said he felt more comfortable on the construction sites and talking to taxi drivers (and the occasional model or stripper too!)

Makes perfect sense.

Good intentions but no sense of class on how to make things work smoothly in those circles. Gets the everyman votes, but not the academic supporters or people who enjoy cute kittens.
He is a dilettante politician always coming up a bit short.
Occasionally (ok, maybe more than that depending on the issue!) incompetent, but not a devious crook.

Really good at getting debts refinanced!

That is my take.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 03:49 PM   #18
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Nobody Likes Me

Lastest from Meidas Touch.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 04:03 PM   #19
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I hate you for beating me to that reference;

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 04:21 PM   #20
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
I agree. He has always aspired to be accepted by the 'real' rich and smart crowd but they never accepted him. He finally just bought his way into their circles. Didnt work. He wasnt raised like they were. He couldnt fake elite. Wasnt interested in higher things. He was too gauche. So he always said he felt more comfortable on the construction sites and talking to taxi drivers (and the occasional model or stripper too!)

Makes perfect sense.

Good intentions but no sense of class on how to make things work smoothly in those circles. Gets the everyman votes, but not the academic supporters or people who enjoy cute kittens.
Occasionally (ok, maybe more than that depending on the issue!) incompetent, but not a devious crook.

That is my take.
One simple Dale Carnegie rule to get people to like you. And it is the number one reason that people don't like Trump.

Be interested in others.

Trump is incapable of thinking about anyone but himself.
Old 29th July 2020, 04:56 PM   #21
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Makes perfect sense.

That is my take.
I really don't think Trump has ever had a good intention in his life. His only intentions are to benefit himself.

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
One simple Dale Carnegie rule to get people to like you. And it is the number one reason that people don't like Trump.

Be interested in others.

Trump is incapable of thinking about anyone but himself.
Indeed. It's a feedback loop; the more people dislike Trump, the more he disdains them, and that causes more dislike.

Oh, and Grunion: I'd lay odds your MIL never met him in person!
Old 29th July 2020, 05:10 PM   #22
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

I really don't think Trump has ever had a good intention in his life. His only intentions are to benefit himself.
True. His intentions are good only in that they also benefit others.

He wants to win the numbers game. He wants to boast about how HE made everything GREAT! and Tremendous! And yay Trump for ALL you did to make America # 1 #1 #1!!!!!!

He actually doesnt care about race or gender or any of that. He just wants credit for winning and getting kudos for bringing prosperity to the US. Rising tides and all that...just make sure all the boats have TRUMP in gold plated letters and he is happy.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th July 2020, 05:29 PM   #23
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Makes perfect sense.

That is my take.
Exactly.
He canít appreciate art that does not involve him, so the idea of paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for artwork is absurd. And because he canít grasp the value of artwork, he would never buy anything he could loan or donate to museums.

It is obvious that he could never practice noblesse oblige, but I donít even think he could define it.

His sense of humor is limited to insulting people. But not through anything as clever as an original turn of phrase or metaphor. All he can do is call people names.

Of course all those observations pale in comparison to the most important reason heíll never be accepted: he constantly acts like a fracking sociopath with a personality disorder.
Old 29th July 2020, 08:17 PM   #24
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mikemcc View Post
For once he's got something right!

The adage about a stopped clock being right twice a day springs to mind.
I donít like broken clocks.
Old 29th July 2020, 10:47 PM   #25
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Exactly.
He canít appreciate art that does not involve him, so the idea of paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for artwork is absurd. And because he canít grasp the value of artwork, he would never buy anything he could loan or donate to museums.

It is obvious that he could never practice noblesse oblige, but I donít even think he could define it.

His sense of humor is limited to insulting people. But not through anything as clever as an original turn of phrase or metaphor. All he can do is call people names.

Of course all those observations pale in comparison to the most important reason heíll never be accepted: he constantly acts like a fracking sociopath with a personality disorder.
That's no act.
Old 30th July 2020, 01:11 AM   #26
BillC
Bazooka Joe

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post

One thing that marked Nixon's fall from power was how his political allies quickly deserted him. He was at once powerless, friendless and politically isolated. I suspect the same's going to happen to Trump. Expect a flurry of tell-all books from people who are keeping quiet for now.
BillC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 01:20 AM   #27
AnonyMoose
Muse

No worries, I have an idea on how we can quickly remedy this horrible nightmare the poor guy is going through...

All we have to do is to stick one of these into his mouth:

Pat his bum with a rolled up one of these:

And then hand him a few of these:

... and the po' widdle wee one will be wight as wain in the mowning. Believe me.

Old 30th July 2020, 01:22 AM   #28
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BillC View Post
One thing that marked Nixon's fall from power was how his political allies quickly deserted him. He was at once powerless, friendless and politically isolated. I suspect the same's going to happen to Trump. Expect a flurry of tell-all books from people who are keeping quiet for now.
I'm not so sure. Donald Trump is absolutely beloved by his base and his base comprises 80%-90% of the GOP. If you're planning to stand as a GOP candidate, you have to support Donald Trump.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 02:03 AM   #29
BillC
Bazooka Joe

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I'm not so sure. Donald Trump is absolutely beloved by his base and his base comprises 80%-90% of the GOP.
For now, yes. And when he falls from power?
BillC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 02:24 AM   #30
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BillC View Post
For now, yes. And when he falls from power?
IMO he's a symptom of the views of that base, not the cause. When he's no longer President then his base will switch their allegiance to the designated successor.

They want someone who acts like a strong man, makes the right noises about being anti-establishment/anti-elitist and who trolls the libs.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 02:40 AM   #31
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

IMO he's a symptom of the views of that base, not the cause. When he's no longer President then his base will switch their allegiance to the designated successor.

They want someone who acts like a strong man, makes the right noises about being anti-establishment/anti-elitist and who trolls the libs.
Sadly this seems to be more and more the most important aspect for many folk.
Old 30th July 2020, 02:48 AM   #32
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Note how one of his favorite words is "unfair".

But you've got to see it from his side: He is doing his utmost to discredit his own epidemiologist, and yet when people give Dr. Fauci good 'ratings', they don't consider that Dr. Fauci is working for Trump, at least in principle, so they should have given Trump some of the credit for Fauci's work, shouldn't they?
How can the world possibly be any more unfair than that?!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 02:50 AM   #33
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Isn't it about being anti-lib and anti-science? Does anybody still believe that he is anti-establishment or anti-elitist?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 03:23 AM   #34
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Isn't it about being anti-lib and anti-science?
That may be a significant part of it.

Does anybody still believe that he is anti-establishment or anti-elitist?
Doubtless many do - they'll simply believe what they're told.

Certainly they think he's not part of the Washington "machine".
Old 30th July 2020, 03:40 AM   #35
Carrot Flower King
Thinker

How the buggery bollocks anyone fell for the line that a hereditary millionaire, privately educated New York property tycoon was ever not part of the "establishment" and the "elite" is beyond me.
Carrot Flower King is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 04:22 AM   #36
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
How the buggery bollocks anyone fell for the line that a hereditary millionaire, privately educated New York property tycoon was ever not part of the "establishment" and the "elite" is beyond me.
Because he created the myth that he is a successful self-made billionaire businessman who fought his way to the top through Innovation.

Complete rubbish, but if people hear it often enough, a proportion will believe it.
Old 30th July 2020, 04:33 AM   #37
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump publicly eating worms would make him more popular.
But they would have to be
Big fat juicy ones
Long thin slimey ones
Itsy bitsy, fuzzy wuzzy worms
Old 30th July 2020, 04:47 AM   #38
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Because Mark Burnett he created the myth that he is a successful self-made billionaire businessman who fought his way to the top through Innovation.

Complete rubbish, but if people hear it often enough, a proportion will believe it.
FTFY
Old 30th July 2020, 07:33 AM   #39
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
FTFY

Don't forget John Barron.
Old 30th July 2020, 08:09 AM   #40
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Isn't it about being anti-lib and anti-science? Does anybody still believe that he is anti-establishment or anti-elitist?

If people believed that the solution to money having too much influence in Washington was to cut out the middleman and install a billionaire as President, theyíll believe anything.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics