ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , Herman Cain , obituaries , presidential candidates

Old 30th July 2020, 01:03 PM   #41
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Not really, the black population as a whole has been hard hit by COVID. I kinda expected it.
Old 30th July 2020, 01:11 PM   #42
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
Maybe it's the whole 9-9-9 thing but I always thought Cain was to Republicans as Sgt Shultz was to Nazis. More of a comedic figure to be laughed at than a villain to be reviled.

Does it strike anyone else as weird that the first big name pro trump anti-mask Trump supporter to die though his own stupidity turned out to be black?
With easy access to all that Godfather's pizza, I'm sure he had more than a few underlying health conditions.
Old 30th July 2020, 01:16 PM   #43
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

He had metastasized stage 4 colon and liver cancer in 2006 and had to have very aggressive chemo along with surgery because of it. So an already reduced immune, respiratory, or cardiovascular system isn't an unreasonable probability.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 30th July 2020 at 01:18 PM.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 01:20 PM   #44
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Does it strike anyone else as weird that the first big name pro trump anti-mask Trump supporter to die though his own stupidity turned out to be black?
The black guy always dies first. I learned this from watching American movies.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 01:20 PM   #45
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
He had metastasized stage 4 colon and liver cancer in 2006 and had to have very aggressive chemo along with surgery because of it. So an already reduced immune, respiratory, or cardiovascular system isn't an unreasonable probability.
Having that kind of underlying health problems and still not taking precautions make him even more stupid.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 01:38 PM   #46
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

Is Karma racist?
Old 30th July 2020, 01:43 PM   #47
ChristianProgressive
Master Poster

I wonder if his last words were "I can't breathe..." *evil*

Next up, Typhoid Louie Gohmert.
"As it was in the days of Noah, so will it be at the coming of the Son of Man." - Matthew 24:37

"And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh." - Luke 21:28
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 01:43 PM   #48
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Like so many of trump's supporters/followers Cain seems to have ignored the reality that actions can have consequences. Almost all reputable doctors advise wearing a mask, social distancing and avoid areas where cases are increasing. You ignore all that and it's very possible you might get sick. What is political about that idea?

It is truly unbelievable the way trump and his minions have politicized a viral epidemic. There's some pushback in other countries, sure, but nothing like what we're seeing in the US. There's a reason why the United States with 4% of the world's population has over 20% of the reported coronavirus cases.

These reckless fools are dragging all of us down with them.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 01:47 PM   #49
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Already seen a couple of tweets that insist that he died of cancer, not Covid.

He died of Covid. He deserved it.
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 03:33 PM   #50
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Already seen a couple of tweets that insist that he died of cancer, not Covid.

He died of Covid. He deserved it.
They should release his long form death certificate.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 03:56 PM   #51
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe it's the whole 9-9-9 thing but I always thought Cain was to Republicans as Sgt Shultz was to Nazis. More of a comedic figure to be laughed at than a villain to be reviled.
That's pretty much who he was before Trump, who would have maintained a similar status had he not started winning primaries. They're morons of a similar level politically, though it seems that Herman Cain was at least competent at managing/running businesses.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 05:00 PM   #52
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
That's pretty much who he was before Trump, who would have maintained a similar status had he not started winning primaries. They're morons of a similar level politically, though it seems that Herman Cain was at least competent at managing/running businesses.
But less successful at getting away with sexual harassment.
Old 30th July 2020, 07:18 PM   #53
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I'm interested to see how the Fox News prime time shows spin this. Not interested enough to actually watch said shows of course. I'm sure "Reliable Sources" will give me an adequate summary on Sunday.
Not enough HCL.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 08:09 PM   #54
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I'm interested to see how the Fox News prime time shows spin this. Not interested enough to actually watch said shows of course. I'm sure "Reliable Sources" will give me an adequate summary on Sunday.
He's the wrong color for them to mention it.
Old 30th July 2020, 08:31 PM   #55
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

So much for black lives mattering.
Old 30th July 2020, 08:49 PM   #56
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Covid, Cancer - and he got shot by a Cop, too?
Old 30th July 2020, 08:57 PM   #57
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

My point exactly.
Old 30th July 2020, 09:26 PM   #58
angrysoba
Philosophile

What do you mean?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 10:43 PM   #59
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Over 155 thousand deaths total. 60k+ infections a day. 252 deaths in Florida today. 322 in Texas. Herman Cain dying of this virus after refusing to wear a mask at a Trump rally because his party Leader is so anti-covid and masks.

What exactly will it take for Republicans to start to get angry about this with the way the White House is running things?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 11:21 PM   #60
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Oooh....nice try but epic failure! Cain didn't get shot or suffocated by a cop. He died because he got Covid after refusing to support the wearing of masks to help stop the spread of the virus.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th July 2020, 11:32 PM   #61
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Given the obvious Trump being snubbed by the John Lewis funeral/memorial planning, and it must really burn that Obama had the last word, will Trump go to Cain's funeral or speak? I wonder if he'll even send Pence? Cain was a big Trump supporter.

Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 01:06 AM   #62
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Over 155 thousand deaths total. 60k+ infections a day. 252 deaths in Florida today. 322 in Texas. Herman Cain dying of this virus after refusing to wear a mask at a Trump rally because his party Leader is so anti-covid and masks.

What exactly will it take for Republicans to start to get angry about this with the way the White House is running things?
If he starts going after them as a whole, then they'll figure out something is wrong.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 05:38 AM   #63
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
The flow of ignorant, CT spewage was unimpeded by Cain's illness.

Of course this is quite possibly due to attending the Tulsa rally.

Or he could have been the super spreader at that event, couldn't he?
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 05:41 AM   #64
Steve
Philosopher

Republicans don’t care about dead people. The dead cannot vote for Trump.
Old 31st July 2020, 05:46 AM   #65
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

GOP legislators or GOP supporters in general ?

If it's the legistlators: Maybe if and when the big donors threaten to stop the flow of money. Definitely if and when Trump's base shows signs of deserting him.

If it's GOP supporters in general: Maybe never unless they, or someone they love is seriously ill or dies ?
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 06:37 AM   #66
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
The black guy always dies first. I learned this from watching American movies.
The dumbass dies next.

It's coming for you, Gohmert.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 06:40 AM   #67
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
The dumbass dies next.

It's coming for you, Gohmert.
I know many people say that we shouldn't wish harm on any human. I don't subscribe to that philosophy. I'm quite happy when bad people suffer or die.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 06:42 AM   #68
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I know many people say that we shouldn't wish harm on any human. I don't subscribe to that philosophy. I'm quite happy when bad people suffer or die.
Agreed. I hope Cain's last waking moments were filled with fear. Same for any other of these ghouls that have spread misinformation about Covid.
Old 31st July 2020, 06:42 AM   #69
Distracted1
Illuminator

Interesting point. You may not be alone in that feeling.
Old 31st July 2020, 06:45 AM   #70
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

I can spare some sympathy if a bad person dies of cancer or accidents. There's no such thing as karma.

But this isn't karma, it's consequence.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 06:52 AM   #71
Distracted1
Illuminator

Good points, all.
Old 31st July 2020, 07:06 AM   #72
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
I can spare some sympathy if a bad person dies of cancer or accidents. There's no such thing as karma.

But this isn't karma, it's consequence.
I think that hits where I'm at on this. I don't want someone to die of cancer, but if a tobacco exec who funded misinformation about the link between his product and cancer dies of cancer I'm not so troubled.

This feels similar. I don't wish death upon H. Cain, but that he died from his own stupidity because he was kissing up to a politician who won't even show up to his funeral, I'm not so troubled.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 07:09 AM   #73
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Given the obvious Trump being snubbed by the John Lewis funeral/memorial planning, and it must really burn that Obama had the last word, will Trump go to Cain's funeral or speak? I wonder if he'll even send Pence? Cain was a big Trump supporter.
Is there a light drizzle in the forecast?
Old 31st July 2020, 07:26 AM   #74
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Agreed. I hope Cain's last waking moments were filled with fear. Same for any other of these ghouls that have spread misinformation about Covid.
Especially if they are black, right?
Old 31st July 2020, 07:27 AM   #75
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Especially if they are black, right?
Especially if they spread covid-19 misinfo and carry water for an administration that is directly responsible for thousands of avoidable deaths.

I've got my fingers crossed for plenty of these white Trump enablers, don't you worry

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 31st July 2020 at 07:29 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 07:29 AM   #76
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Especially if they spread covid-19 misinfo and carry water for an administration that is directly responsible for thousands of avoidable deaths.

I've got my finger crossed for plenty of these white Trump enablers, don't you worry
Sure.
Old 31st July 2020, 07:30 AM   #77
carlitos
"más divertido"

Really lame, Distracted1. Lame.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 07:31 AM   #78
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Sure.
Feel free to join me in the other thread gloating about the TPUSA founder that gave up the ghost to Covid. The good news on him came first, but Cain eclipsed that coverage given his higher profile.

There's still plenty of time for more of these MAGA ghouls to die gasping. Here's to hope!
Old 31st July 2020, 07:35 AM   #79
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Really lame, Distracted1. Lame.
Lame?
The argument parodied is exactly the same.
Old 31st July 2020, 07:35 AM   #80
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I know Cain ran for public office...but was he ever an elected official. I don't think he did.

Can you imagine Trump giving a eulogy?

He might even mention the deceased's name while talking about himself.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics