ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , Herman Cain , obituaries , presidential candidates

Reply
Old 31st July 2020, 09:28 AM   #121
Distracted1
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,583
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Just imagine he's a brown kid in a detention center if it bothers you that much.
Jeez, Joe, why would that bother me less?

Q.
E.
D.
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 09:28 AM   #122
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 25,616
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Poppycock.
He was most definitely black.


Unless there is another part of that statement you feel is "bull feces"?
Perhaps you could elaborate?

It's not that he was black that is relevant. It's that he was following Trump's stupidity and should have known better.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 09:29 AM   #123
Distracted1
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,583
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
It's not that he was black that is relevant. It's that he was following Trump's stupidity and should have known better.
Brought it upon himself, did he?
AND he was black.
Pretty shaky ground you are on there.
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 09:31 AM   #124
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 25,616
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
Brought it upon himself, did he?
AND he was black.
Pretty shaky ground you are on there.
You're the only one mentioning his color. He was also wealthy and wilfully stupid.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.

Last edited by acbytesla; 31st July 2020 at 09:33 AM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 09:33 AM   #125
Distracted1
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,583
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
You're the only one mentioning his color. He was also wealthy and wilfully stupid.
What made him Stupid?
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 09:38 AM   #126
Resume
Troublesome Passenger
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 16,829
nm
__________________
He must be removed.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020

Last edited by Resume; 31st July 2020 at 09:41 AM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 09:38 AM   #127
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 25,616
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
What made him Stupid?
He listened to Trump.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 09:50 AM   #128
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8,733
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
He was black.
He was a "bad" man.
He is prematurely dead.
You (amongst others) are celebrating that fact.

That is, and has been consistently enough evidence on this forum to insinuate (or claim outright) racism on your part,
Nonsense. Had he died through absolutely no fault of his own, or had he been unfairly targetted by cops then you might have a point. As it is, you're comparing apples to oranges and saying you can make cider out of both.

When an unarmed black man dies as a result of unfair racial profiling and someone comes onto the forum to blame the individual in question for "obviously" having done something to instigate the incident even when there is no evidence of such, and indeed there may be evidence that shows that the individual was absolutely in no way instigating the incident and indeed attempted to resolve the incident peacefully, I would say voicing suspicion that this poster may well be racist is fair.

Had George Floyd been waking down the street shooting at random civilians I doubt his death would have generated anywhere near the interest it did. Random thug is killed by police during armed conflict is not a particularly noteworthy story, afterall. However, the fact that he was an unarmed non violent black man who was killed in the latest of a ridiculously long series of similar events over and over again throughout the years makes it such an important issue.

Herman Cain not wearing a mask, ignoring social distancing at an even where most other people weren't wearing masks, and then dying from the disease that is the cause of the social distancing/mask rules has nothing to do with his race. He's just a moron.
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

Now I lay me down to sleep, a bag of peanuts at my feet.
If I die before I wake, give them to my brother Jake.

Last edited by MarkCorrigan; 31st July 2020 at 09:51 AM.
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 09:56 AM   #129
Distracted1
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,583
Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Nonsense. Had he died through absolutely no fault of his own, or had he been unfairly targetted by cops then you might have a point. As it is, you're comparing apples to oranges and saying you can make cider out of both.

When an unarmed black man dies as a result of unfair racial profiling and someone comes onto the forum to blame the individual in question for "obviously" having done something to instigate the incident even when there is no evidence of such, and indeed there may be evidence that shows that the individual was absolutely in no way instigating the incident and indeed attempted to resolve the incident peacefully, I would say voicing suspicion that this poster may well be racist is fair.

Had George Floyd been waking down the street shooting at random civilians I doubt his death would have generated anywhere near the interest it did. Random thug is killed by police during armed conflict is not a particularly noteworthy story, afterall. However, the fact that he was an unarmed non violent black man who was killed in the latest of a ridiculously long series of similar events over and over again throughout the years makes it such an important issue.

Herman Cain not wearing a mask, ignoring social distancing at an even where most other people weren't wearing masks, and then dying from the disease that is the cause of the social distancing/mask rules has nothing to do with his race. He's just a moron.
What are you arguing there?
That there are times when the insinuation may be warranted- ergo the assertion is always warranted?
That seems like bad logic.
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 10:03 AM   #130
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8,733
...No? If you're getting that from what I wrote, I would suggest you should try again.

From what I've seen on the forum, it's the same handful of people who are accused of being racist after making posts like the ones I describe in my comment. At least one of them has outright stated he is a racist, and the remaining few I have seen have expressed other racist opinions. By all means, if you find someone accusing you of being a racist unfairly then complain about it. I would suggest that you could even report the comment.

That does not excuse your ridiculolus tu quoque you're attempting here.
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

Now I lay me down to sleep, a bag of peanuts at my feet.
If I die before I wake, give them to my brother Jake.
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 10:04 AM   #131
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 17,374
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
What made him Stupid?
My guess? Buying into the beliefs of the Republican party under Trump. Sometimes being so wealthy that you are surrounded by yes people can contribute: everyone around you agrees with you so you must be right?
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 10:05 AM   #132
Distracted1
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,583
Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
...No? If you're getting that from what I wrote, I would suggest you should try again.

From what I've seen on the forum, it's the same handful of people who are accused of being racist after making posts like the ones I describe in my comment. At least one of them has outright stated he is a racist, and the remaining few I have seen have expressed other racist opinions. By all means, if you find someone accusing you of being a racist unfairly then complain about it. I would suggest that you could even report the comment.

That does not excuse your ridiculolus tu quoque you're attempting here.
Have I expressed a racist opinion in this thread?
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 10:10 AM   #133
Distracted1
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,583
Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
My guess? Buying into the beliefs of the Republican party under Trump. Sometimes being so wealthy that you are surrounded by yes people can contribute: everyone around you agrees with you so you must be right?
Echo-chambers have a stultifying effect on rational thinking. I must agree.
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 10:11 AM   #134
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8,733
Did I say you had?

I'm puzzled as to what you think your point is.

People come on and, perhaps distastefully, celebrate the death of a moron due to his own stupidity.

You come on and accuse them of being racist because of some really just awful logical leaps.

People point out that your "gotcha" is noted and pretty weaksauce.

You double down.

I explain with some detail why it's weaksauce.

You seem to accuse me of calling you racist? I'm really not sure what you're trying to do here.
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

Now I lay me down to sleep, a bag of peanuts at my feet.
If I die before I wake, give them to my brother Jake.

Last edited by MarkCorrigan; 31st July 2020 at 10:31 AM.
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 10:28 AM   #135
timhau
NWO Litter Technician
 
timhau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Posts: 13,719
Hi,
I just googled "obvious troll is obvious" and the results led me to this thread.
__________________
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord, in his wisdom, doesn't work that way. I just stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
- Emo Philips
timhau is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 10:33 AM   #136
Distracted1
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,583
Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Did I say you had?

I'm puzzled as to what you think your point is.

People come on and, perhaps distastefully, celebrate the death of a moron due to his own stupidity.

You come on and accuse them of being racist because of some really just awful logical leaps.

People point out that your "gotcha" is noted and pretty weaksauce.

You double down.

I explain with some detail why it's weaksauce.

You seem to accuse me of calling you racist? I'm really not sure what you're trying to do here.
not weak at all.
It parodies the arguments made in other threads perfectly. In fact, it was immediately recognized as such by most of those who saw it- the reaction to pointing out the hypocrisy of making the exact arguments that would in any other thread result in charges of racism is to dismiss it as "poppycock" then run away because there is no logical counter. I made my point.

In fact, it only took about 5 posts in this thread to be accused of racism- I asked if you saw it in my posts, did you? or is it just a knee-jerk reaction to being called out?
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 10:34 AM   #137
Distracted1
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,583
Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Hi,
I just googled "obvious troll is obvious" and the results led me to this thread.
Another well reasoned response. How delightful.
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 10:35 AM   #138
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 5,211
Come on now forum members, surely you can't be gobbling down this concern trolling this readily. Are you really going to derail this thread for pages just to argue with this clearly bad faith accusation of racism from someone that doesn't actually care? Let's try to keep this thread on topic, which is:

It's actually very funny and good that Hermann Cain died of Covid.
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 10:40 AM   #139
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 92,923
Mod WarningOne warning - this thread is not about each other. Drop all the childish bickering and attempts of getting your insults to one another "under the wire". Ignoring this mod box will result in further moderation action which could include warnings, suspensions and bans.
Posted By:Darat
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 10:40 AM   #140
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8,733
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
not weak at all.
It parodies the arguments made in other threads perfectly. In fact, it was immediately recognized as such by most of those who saw it- the reaction to pointing out the hypocrisy of making the exact arguments that would in any other thread result in charges of racism is to dismiss it as "poppycock" then run away because there is no logical counter. I made my point.

In fact, it only took about 5 posts in this thread to be accused of racism- I asked if you saw it in my posts, did you? or is it just a knee-jerk reaction to being called out?
Except that it isn't the same argument. As I stated, you are comparing apples to oranges. Pretty clearly.

Is what a knee jerk reaction? Pointing out your argument is so flawed as to be baseless?
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

Now I lay me down to sleep, a bag of peanuts at my feet.
If I die before I wake, give them to my brother Jake.
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 10:42 AM   #141
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 12,909
Deleted. I believe what I typed violates at least the spirit of the mod box posted while I was typing.

Last edited by Babbylonian; 31st July 2020 at 10:44 AM.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 10:43 AM   #142
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 25,616
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
He was black.
He was a "bad" man.
He is prematurely dead.
You (amongst others) are celebrating that fact.

That is, and has been consistently enough evidence on this forum to insinuate (or claim outright) racism on your part,
I never said Cain was a "bad" man.
I never said he was black.
I never said he was prematurely dead.
I am also not "celebrating" his death.
I also don't see others celebrating.

It is you that is suggesting all this.

Cain died because of the COVID virus. That is unfortunate for him and his family.

But it is not wrong or an exaggeration to say that Cain may be alive today had he not followed Trump.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 10:44 AM   #143
Distracted1
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 4,583
Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Except that it isn't the same argument. As I stated, you are comparing apples to oranges. Pretty clearly.

Is what a knee jerk reaction? Pointing out your argument is so flawed as to be baseless?
The accusation of racism.
__________________
The man with one watch knows what time it is, the man with two watches is never sure.
Distracted1 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 10:45 AM   #144
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8,733
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
The accusation of racism.
But I haven't accused you of racism.
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

Now I lay me down to sleep, a bag of peanuts at my feet.
If I die before I wake, give them to my brother Jake.
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 10:46 AM   #145
Lurch
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,374
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
He was black.
He was a "bad" man.
He is prematurely dead.
You (amongst others) are celebrating that fact.

That is, and has been consistently enough evidence on this forum to insinuate (or claim outright) racism on your part,
Cain was stupid. Now he's ten toes up.

I'll say the same about anyone similarly stupid. White, brown, black, red, yellow, green or grey.

I'm an equal opportunity pisser on graves.

Last edited by Lurch; 31st July 2020 at 10:49 AM.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 10:49 AM   #146
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming
 
MarkCorrigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 8,733
Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
I did not say that you had.
How would you characterize post 81?
Inane, I guess?

It's a post making a point I'm not sure is valid very poorly.
__________________
Naturalism adjusts it's principles to fit with the observed data.
It's a god of the facts world view. -joobz

Now I lay me down to sleep, a bag of peanuts at my feet.
If I die before I wake, give them to my brother Jake.
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 10:54 AM   #147
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 25,616
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Cain was stupid. Now he's ten toes up.

I'll say the same about anyone similarly stupid. White, brown, black, red, yellow, green or grey.

I'm an equal opportunity pisser on graves.
I'm not big on celebrating the misfortunes of others.

But that doesn't mean I can't notice that some people are actively competing for a Darwin Award.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 10:58 AM   #148
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 5,211
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I'm not big on celebrating the misfortunes of others.

But that doesn't mean I can't notice that some people are actively competing for a Darwin Award.
Cain isn't just some random conservative schmuck that died from covid because they took advice from Fox News.

He's a (minor) leader in the movement. He played a role in advocating for this death cult of an ideology. His death by Covid may, in-fact, play a small role in waking up duped conservatives to the danger of the course of action conservative propaganda is advocating.

This isn't just misfortune, this is an arsonist getting consumed by the same fire he started. It's a good outcome.
__________________
Gobble gobble

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 31st July 2020 at 11:07 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 11:03 AM   #149
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 12,909
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Cain isn't just some random conservative schmuck that died from covid because they took advice from Fox News.

He's a (minor) leader in the movement. He played a role in advocating for this death cult of an ideology. His death by Covid may, in-fact, play a small role in waking up duped conservatives to the danger of the course of action conservative propaganda is advocating.

This isn't just misfortune, this is an arsonist getting consumed by the same fire he started. It's a good outcome.
Exactly. Even my empathy for the family is attenuated by the fact that if my father or grandfather with similar risk factors acted the same way, I wouldn't stop pressuring him to take every precaution. In fact, I would advise him daily not to leave the house for any reason apart from required medical care.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 11:14 AM   #150
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing
 
lomiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 10,787
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I'm not big on celebrating the misfortunes of others.

But that doesn't mean I can't notice that some people are actively competing for a Darwin Award.
I’m not sure if failure to use a mask should qualify for a Darwin Award. The mask isn’t intended to protect the wearer, so someone refusing to wear on then dyeing from COVID-19 is more of a “got what they deserved” thing than a “done in by their own stupidity” thing.
__________________
"Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen"
lomiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 11:14 AM   #151
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 14,398
So much for Trump's claims that children (the younger the better) are practically immune to and not spreaders of Covid 19.

In June, a Georgia summer camp had to shut on after children and staff tested positive for the virus. All had arrived at the camp with recent negative test proof. Only the staffers, not the children, wore masks and increased ventilation was not followed. Within a week, a staffer became sick and half the camp attendees were tested again. The positive test percentages:

Ages 6-10: 51% Ages 11-17: 44% Ages 18-21: 33%

Source: CNN
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 11:23 AM   #152
timhau
NWO Litter Technician
 
timhau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Posts: 13,719
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I'm not big on celebrating the misfortunes of others.

But that doesn't mean I can't notice that some people are actively competing for a Darwin Award.
For Cain, that train left a long time ago. He's got grandkids.
__________________
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord, in his wisdom, doesn't work that way. I just stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
- Emo Philips
timhau is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 11:24 AM   #153
Leftus
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,954
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
But it is not wrong or an exaggeration to say that Cain may be alive today had he not followed Trump.
It most certainly is. Wearing a mask does not, in any way, protect you from contracting the virus. While I will accept that wearing a mask would have made it more socially acceptable for whoever spread it to wear his or her mask, he could have still caught it following all of the current guidance.

If he only had a meal with his beer, that might have made a difference (CA). Or not drinking after 11 PM, that might have helped (OH).
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 11:27 AM   #154
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 5,211
Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
It most certainly is. Wearing a mask does not, in any way, protect you from contracting the virus. While I will accept that wearing a mask would have made it more socially acceptable for whoever spread it to wear his or her mask, he could have still caught it following all of the current guidance.

If he only had a meal with his beer, that might have made a difference (CA). Or not drinking after 11 PM, that might have helped (OH).
Attending in indoors rally of thousands of people was a massive violation of any reasonable precautions. Even if you accept that masks are not effective (which isn't true), good social distancing protocols means not attending an indoors political rally. Everyone who made the decision to attend that rally is grossly irresponsible.

Im sure Cain isn't the only person who became infected and died because of that rally, but he's the only one high profile enough to notice.
__________________
Gobble gobble

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 31st July 2020 at 11:30 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 11:29 AM   #155
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing
 
Babbylonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 12,909
Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
It most certainly is. Wearing a mask does not, in any way, protect you from contracting the virus. While I will accept that wearing a mask would have made it more socially acceptable for whoever spread it to wear his or her mask, he could have still caught it following all of the current guidance.
Given that the current guidance would have included social distancing, mask usage, and not attending political rallies (or any other large gathering, especially where people aren't observing other precautions), I think your speculation is unwarranted. It's clear that he followed none of the "current guidance." He certainly didn't follow the guidance of local Tulsa officials (the mayor) who indicated that the rally he attended should be cancelled.

In fact, given his specific risk factors, I'd bet cash money that the "current guidance" from Cain's doctors would have been to stay the **** in his house.

Last edited by Babbylonian; 31st July 2020 at 11:31 AM.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 11:29 AM   #156
carlitos
"más divertido"
 
carlitos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: USA! USA!
Posts: 22,445
An overly-litigious family member should do contact tracing, figure out how he got it, and then maybe sue the whole chain of command that pulled the social distancing stickers off of the seats in the arena.

ETA - those stickers were part of the "current guidance."
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 11:30 AM   #157
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 25,616
Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
I’m not sure if failure to use a mask should qualify for a Darwin Award. The mask isn’t intended to protect the wearer, so someone refusing to wear on then dyeing from COVID-19 is more of a “got what they deserved” thing than a “done in by their own stupidity” thing.
Failure, maybe not. Deliberately not and flouting the known science on the other hand.

You are right. The mask does a better job at protecting others than the wearer. Still, Cain attended the Tulsa rally where he knew masks wouldn't be worn. So Cain being in a high risk group placed himself in an environment that was risky. Did he not?
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 11:31 AM   #158
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 25,616
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Failure, maybe not. Deliberately not and flouting the known science on the other hand.

You are right. The mask does a better job at protecting others than the wearer. Still, Cain attended the Tulsa rally where he knew masks wouldn't be worn. So Cain being in a high risk group placed himself in an environment that was risky. Did he not?

And clearly he received the Award.
__________________
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get to me.
.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 11:48 AM   #159
dann
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 11,658
Herman's Been Cained

My suggestion for an alternative thread title.
__________________
/dann
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st July 2020, 11:49 AM   #160
Belz...
Fiend God
 
Belz...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In a post-fact world
Posts: 90,814
Never mind.
__________________
Master of the Shining Darkness

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward



Last edited by Belz...; 31st July 2020 at 11:50 AM.
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:32 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.