ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags New Jersey incidents , UFO sightings , ufos

Old 15th September 2020, 10:24 AM   #1
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Mass UFO sighting in New Jersey

This could be bigger than the Hudson Valley flap. This video is a compilation of different YouTube clips and TikTok posts from motorists who stopped by the dozens along a major highway to film a dramatic UFO, which was very absolutely definitely not the Goodyear blimp:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 10:38 AM   #2
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Today was a bad day, I guess.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 10:43 AM   #3
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

It's the Goodyear Blimp with giant TV screen on the side.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 10:49 AM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Sometimes an object is unidentified because people cold suck at identifying objects.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 11:09 AM   #5
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Beerina View Post
As a good CTer, having not seen the vid, (nor being an elected official) I can say I've heard it is definitely NOT the Goodyear blimp. That's what at least some people are saying.
Why? Does it resemble a blimp? Should I check some(any?) sort of evidence to ascertain an opinion? Seems a waste of effort. UFO. That's what I've heard. Solid. Conclusive.

Anyone got a hamberder?

How long's the vid? I'll burn some cell data if it's amusingly obvious enough.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 15th September 2020 at 11:11 AM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 11:20 AM   #6
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Alternative thread title: The Bars Have Begun Serving Alcohol Again in New Jersey

Eta: apropos of nothing, marijuana legalization is coincidentally on the ballot in November

Last edited by Thermal; 15th September 2020 at 11:23 AM.
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 11:22 AM   #7
Leftus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
As a good CTer, having not seen the vid, (nor being an elected official) I can say I've heard it is definitely NOT the Goodyear blimp. That's what at least some people are saying.
Why? Does it resemble a blimp? Should I check some(any?) sort of evidence to ascertain an opinion? Seems a waste of effort. UFO. That's what I've heard. Solid. Conclusive.

Anyone got a hamberder?

How long's the vid? I'll burn some cell data if it's amusingly obvious enough.
It's most certainly a blimp with some sort of LED banner.

The video runs about 4 minutes with some of the absolute worst camera angles you could choose for a clear picture. In his defense, he was trying to shoot the video while driving in heavy traffic. Clearly a right thinking individual.

It also has FAA safety lights. Those aliens care enough to obey local laws.

Seriously, what possible reason would a blimp have over Met Life stadium during a NFL game? Clearly aliens.

Last edited by Leftus; 15th September 2020 at 11:26 AM.
Leftus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 11:26 AM   #8
Hans
Philosopher

Damn those alien have come to earth over the vast stellar distances to spam us with ads - those unspeakable swine.
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 11:27 AM   #9
Checkmite

Fiddlesticks and balderdash.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 11:40 AM   #10
Leftus
Master Poster

Probably was the MetLife blimp over the MetLife stadium.
Leftus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 11:41 AM   #11
Myriad
Hyperthetical

You can tell at a glance from the video's cover frame alone that it's definitely absolutely completely not an advertising blimp with a Jumbotron on its side.
Old 15th September 2020, 11:44 AM   #12
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
That looks nothing like the Goodyear Blimp, here's a perfect example of the Goodyear Blimp...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Wheels-...IAAOSwXwRfXYYT
Old 15th September 2020, 12:07 PM   #13
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
That looks nothing like the Goodyear Blimp, here's a perfect example of the Goodyear Blimp...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Wheels-...IAAOSwXwRfXYYT
That's fantastic. I guess the tail rotates the "displays".
What crap toys we had when I was young... sticks and mud ya know.
Oops... and uh, paved streets (gotta leave a bar to crawl under).

"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 12:09 PM   #14
Checkmite

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
It also has FAA safety lights. Those aliens care enough to obey local laws.
I suppose the question, then, is whether the aliens have FAA-compliant navigation lighting because they are genuinely concerned about not wanting to disrupt or endanger human air traffic, or whether it is simply an attempt at a disguise and their motives are more sinister.

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
You can tell at a glance from the video's cover frame alone that it's definitely absolutely completely not an advertising blimp with a Jumbotron on its side.
More reasonable analysis. This is refreshing.
Old 15th September 2020, 12:26 PM   #15
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

It's the right shape for a blimp. It has flashing aircraft lights like the FAA requires but . . . all sorts of armchair "experts" know it is an alien spacecraft from Tralfamadore.

Oh. Wait.

Quote:
A Goodyear blimp was mistaken for a UFO in several viral social media posts on Monday.

A representative for Goodyear confirmed to Insider that the company had flown a blimp in the New York City and Northern New Jersey areas on Monday evening to capture aerial footage of the Pittsburgh Steelers and New York Giants NFL game at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
https://www.insider.com/ufo-sighting...-jersey-2020-9

Too ******* easy. Next.
Old 15th September 2020, 12:41 PM   #16
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Went ahead and burned a few meg for the 4 min vid.
Our boy Trivon the YT uploader is it seems normally a cammer or reposter but this one is an aggregate of at least five other's vids. Sadly... no cites for the sources.

So, obviously... UFO!

Old 15th September 2020, 12:47 PM   #17
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
It's the right shape for a blimp. It has flashing aircraft lights like the FAA requires but . . . all sorts of armchair "experts" know it is an alien spacecraft from Tralfamadore.

Oh. Wait.

Too ******* easy. Next.
Shut your filthy mouth, you f'in doubter.

I've heard 'people' say, why just in this thread alone it's been repeated, that this IS NOT THE GOODYEAR BLIMP!
You yourself have read it right here... what more evidence do you require?
"skeptics"... meh.

Old 15th September 2020, 12:57 PM   #18
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

To be fair, blimp craft are a bit unusual. The way they hover in the air noiselessly without effort is very alien (pardon the pun) compared to aviation as most people know it.

If I recall correctly, the GoodYear blimp didn't have those LEDs when it was hovering over my college, must have been upgrades in the last decade.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 15th September 2020 at 01:00 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 12:57 PM   #19
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

But what was the sooper seekret flashing message?
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 01:01 PM   #20
Dr.Sid
Master Poster

Went ahead and burned a few meg for the 4 min vid.
Our boy Trivon the YT uploader is it seems normally a cammer or reposter but this one is an aggregate of at least five other's vids. Sadly... no cites for the sources.

So, obviously... UFO!
Well it is UFO as long as you don't know what it is.
Dr.Sid is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 01:02 PM   #21
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
“Drink your Ovaltine”
Old 15th September 2020, 01:08 PM   #22
Steve
Philosopher

If the vid had gone on a bit longer we would have seen the USAF show up and blast it out of the sky. Just to be sure.
Old 15th September 2020, 01:10 PM   #23
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
Well it is UFO as long as you don't know what it is.
Well I wish I understood the Spanish in the vid but one (Trivon?) kept asking " am I buggin', am I buggin'?"
Yeah bro... you buggin'. It's a blimp.

He and others were amazed that the highway was filling up with stopped cars not getting that they were stopping to see why everyone else had stopped, to see what folks were looking at.
D'oh!

Yeh... UFO!
(with of course the aforementioned flashing nav lights... Dbl facepalm)

Old 15th September 2020, 01:24 PM   #24
Lplus
Critical Thinker

"A new start on the outer worlds!"
Lplus is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 01:27 PM   #25
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lplus View Post
"A new start on the outer worlds!"
"My hovercraft needs topping up!"

Old 15th September 2020, 01:31 PM   #26
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Tinfoil time

GoodYear Blimps were invented by the NWO in order to provide plausible deniability for real UFOs.
Old 15th September 2020, 01:33 PM   #27
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Tinfoil time

GoodYear Blimps were invented by the NWO in order to provide plausible deniability for real UFOs.
The NWO will get you for publicizing that!
Old 15th September 2020, 02:40 PM   #28
Axxman300
Illuminator

The NY Giants had their home opener.

Or, if this is Grover's Mill, NJ, it's Martian invasion.
Old 15th September 2020, 03:08 PM   #29
Checkmite

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post

Oh. Wait.

Too ******* easy. Next.
Quote:
A representative for Goodyear confirmed to Insider that the company had flown a blimp in the New York City and Northern New Jersey areas on Monday evening to capture aerial footage of the Pittsburgh Steelers and New York Giants NFL game at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
Oh right - "Goodyear", alias the Goodyear Rubber and Tire Company, a famous US military-industrial complex contractor presently chaired by one Richard Kramer, the former director of Price Waterhouse, a multinational corporate financial services and consulting firm and Bilderberg Group stakeholder headed by a well-known Rothschild syndicate proxy.

Nice try, NWO.
Old 15th September 2020, 03:38 PM   #30
Wolrab
Illuminator

Gay Rodeo Blimp.I
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 04:01 PM   #31
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
Gay Rodeo Blimp.
Getting all nostalgic. Those were fun times in the Gay Rodeo blimp thread.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 04:13 PM   #32
fromdownunder
Philosopher

I just watched the Video. It is certainly a ship from the Vogon Constructor Fleet. I could tell by the way it hung in the sky in much the same way as bricks don't.

Norm

fromdownunder is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 04:13 PM   #33
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Anyone ever notice that people filming an alleged UFO find it IMPOSSIBLE to hold the ******* camera steady for more than a second or two at most.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 04:20 PM   #34
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Anyone ever notice that people filming an alleged UFO find it IMPOSSIBLE to hold the ******* camera steady for more than a second or two at most.
The people with more than a couple of seconds attention span worked out what they were looking at and didn't post their UFO videos.

Either that or it's the wobbly-camera-ray the UFO emits to stop other life forms from photographing it clearly.
Jack by the hedge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 04:40 PM   #35
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Or to hold it horizontally. When I'm King of the World phones will be required to shut off and make rude remarks to the owner if they attempt to make video in portrait format.
Old 15th September 2020, 04:42 PM   #36
Checkmite

In fairness, it's just as impossible to hold a handheld camera steady for more than a second or two at most in any situation, without a tripod or some other kind of mount. The effect just seems more pronounced in videos of "UFOs" or other sky objects because the camera is usually zoomed in quite far so the relative motion is exaggerated.
Old 15th September 2020, 05:43 PM   #37
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Or to hold it horizontally. When I'm King of the World phones will be required to shut off and make rude remarks to the owner if they attempt to make video in portrait format.
I explained this to my 12yr old who had a friend tell her the portrait mode was the 'new way'....

I said: if humans were made to watch things in this mode, our eyes would be on top of each other and not side by side.
I am not sure why the younger generation is so lazy that they cannot take one half of one second to turn the camera.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 06:00 PM   #38
Dr.Sid
Master Poster

I explained this to my 12yr old who had a friend tell her the portrait mode was the 'new way'....

I said: if humans were made to watch things in this mode, our eyes would be on top of each other and not side by side.
I am not sure why the younger generation is so lazy that they cannot take one half of one second to turn the camera.
It really has nothing to do with our eyes. It has to do with intended playback screen orientation. For example Tik Tok completely runs in portrait mode, and it's perfect, as it's intended to be consumed on phones.
Dr.Sid is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 06:05 PM   #39
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
It really has nothing to do with our eyes. It has to do with intended playback screen orientation. For example Tik Tok completely runs in portrait mode, and it's perfect, as it's intended to be consumed on phones.

Exactly.

When I run a video I want to watch I turn my phone sideways. I like videos sideways. Easier to watch. Not hard to turn the phone.

Can they not turn their phones?

Are they so programmed to a phone being vertical?

If they want to be on tik tok, be vertical!!! If you want your video to run on CNN or for other people on youtube, please be considerate and turn the damn phone.
Not everything is a dance/music 10 second show.

Last edited by Sherkeu; 15th September 2020 at 06:06 PM.
Old 15th September 2020, 06:12 PM   #40
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Shut your filthy mouth, you f'in doubter.

I've heard 'people' say, why just in this thread alone it's been repeated, that this IS NOT THE GOODYEAR BLIMP!
You yourself have read it right here... what more evidence do you require?
"skeptics"... meh.
OK. OK. You are right. It was probably a Flying Saucer, quantum electomagically morphed to look like a simulacrum of the G. B. Like all such simulacra it was wobbly enough but missed the bright-out-of-focus blob aspect usually seem.

2 out of 10.

Here have a pony

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal