ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags New Jersey incidents , UFO sightings , ufos

Old 15th September 2020, 06:30 PM   #41
jadebox
Graduate Poster

There's a company here in Central Florida that makes blimps that have an internal light so almost the whole ship glows. I bet they have caused a few UFO sightings. A few times I have been taken aback by a strange looking light on the horizon only to realize after a while that it was one of the blimps.

Something that really had me puzzled for a while turned out to be an airplane with a scrolling message displayed under its wings. Seen at an angle from a distance, it looked like a bunch of sprites doing a line dance in the sky.

One morning just a few days after I first moved to Central Florida, I was putting the key in the door of my car when the sun was suddenly eclipsed. Looking up I saw that it was the Goodyear blimp passing by that had cast the shadow. There was no mistaking it for a flying saucer in that case.

Last edited by jadebox; 15th September 2020 at 06:31 PM.
jadebox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 06:58 PM   #42
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

It's about speed. When most people are taking a cell phone video, they're trying to record something spontaneous. Going into your phone's settings, turning off the rotation lock, holding up your phone and waiting for the screen to rotate, and then hitting record doesn't sound like it takes a lot of time; but when something is happening right now, every second you spend fiddling with the handset is a second of lost action and lost context.

Vertical is the most natural way to hold a phone, and just holding the phone naturally and hitting the record button is the easiest way to make sure you don't miss any of the event. Try to think of it this way - it feels every bit as unnatural for a person to hold a phone sideways and keep it aimed for any length of time while recording something, as it feels for you to watch a vertical-aspect video on a horizontal screen.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 07:31 PM   #43
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
It's about speed. When most people are taking a cell phone video, they're trying to record something spontaneous. Going into your phone's settings, turning off the rotation lock, holding up your phone and waiting for the screen to rotate, and then hitting record doesn't sound like it takes a lot of time; but when something is happening right now, every second you spend fiddling with the handset is a second of lost action and lost context.

Vertical is the most natural way to hold a phone, and just holding the phone naturally and hitting the record button is the easiest way to make sure you don't miss any of the event. Try to think of it this way - it feels every bit as unnatural for a person to hold a phone sideways and keep it aimed for any length of time while recording something, as it feels for you to watch a vertical-aspect video on a horizontal screen.

For a UFO sighting, an emergency, a shooting, etc... I agree.

But deliberately go outside to take video of the hurricane- for hours?
Take video of a concert you have been at for hours?
No excuse.
All the kids have the pop- up holders. Horizontal is best.
It is just that the kids are used to viewing on social media in an unnatural way.
They seem to have time to add silly dog ears and flower filters in vertical!
You wont find the pros doing it vertical.
You wont find the next theater movie done that way either.
There is a reason for it.

So, in summation, if you are in a shooting or drowning, etc... then vertical is a-ok. If you have more than a few minutes to decide, no excuse.

Last edited by Sherkeu; 15th September 2020 at 07:33 PM.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2020, 08:30 PM   #44
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
"My hovercraft needs topping up!"
Maybe your hovercraft does, but my hovercraft is full of eels.
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 05:43 AM   #45
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
The people with more than a couple of seconds attention span worked out what they were looking at and didn't post their UFO videos.

Back in 2009 a ring-shaped UFO was seen hovering over a theme park in Virginia, although only one person seemed to notice it and film it. Once you got past the wobbling and the poor focus, the UFO bore a striking resemblance to the outline of a water droplet on a window a short distance from the camera lens.

There was a letter someone wrote to the Skeptical Inquirer years ago in which they described walking out on their porch one morning and seeing a cluster of large silver spheres floating in the sky far overhead. Then their eyes refocused and they realized they were seeing drops of dew on a spider web a short distance from their face.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 07:14 AM   #46
xjx388
Philosopher

Worst UFO flap, ever.

When I was a kid we were driving from San Antonio to Laredo along I-35 to visit family. We all saw a weird light in the sky as we approached Laredo. Even my dad kinda freaked out a little bit. As we got in to town, we immediately recognized it as the Goodyear blimp and had a laugh. How high are these people? Answer: Very.
Old 16th September 2020, 06:52 PM   #47
h.g.Whiz
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
It's the right shape for a blimp. It has flashing aircraft lights like the FAA requires but . . . all sorts of armchair "experts" know it is an alien spacecraft from Tralfamadore.

Oh. Wait.

https://www.insider.com/ufo-sighting...-jersey-2020-9

Too ******* easy. Next.
Keep up the good work no matter how easy, this is exactly why I love this forum.
Old 16th September 2020, 08:04 PM   #48
PPL
Scholar

In the UK this week two Russian reconnaissance aircraft came in to British airspace. As soon as they were detected a couple of Typhoon(?) aircraft went to meet them. But, a UFO can meander, casually as it likes? (Of course, that's taking for granted that 'UFO' = 'Aliens from Outer Space.')

My friends and I would have loved that footage when we were maybe 11 or 12 years old.
PPL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2020, 08:44 PM   #49
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
Worst UFO flap, ever.

When I was a kid we were driving from San Antonio to Laredo along I-35 to visit family. We all saw a weird light in the sky as we approached Laredo. Even my dad kinda freaked out a little bit. As we got in to town, we immediately recognized it as the Goodyear blimp and had a laugh. How high are these people? Answer: Very.

You know, on a podcast Rogan had, a Navy pilot admitted that they would be flying in training mode on IR (infrared) at night. If he could see a campfire in the far distance, in the desert, he would go in closer, cut the engines til he was right over them, seriously flare the afterburner causing noise and bright light, and then race away like a bolt.

Then laugh and laugh and laugh.

Often, those on the ground would call it in as a UFO. So Punk'd.
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2020, 03:38 AM   #50
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by PPL View Post
In the UK this week two Russian reconnaissance aircraft came in to British airspace. As soon as they were detected a couple of Typhoon(?) aircraft went to meet them. But, a UFO can meander, casually as it likes? (Of course, that's taking for granted that 'UFO' = 'Aliens from Outer Space.')

My friends and I would have loved that footage when we were maybe 11 or 12 years old.
Yeah, but this recent event was in the USA. Seems the military there reacts rather differently to potential threats.
Old 17th September 2020, 07:17 AM   #51
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
You know, on a podcast Rogan had, a Navy pilot admitted that they would be flying in training mode on IR (infrared) at night. If he could see a campfire in the far distance, in the desert, he would go in closer, cut the engines til he was right over them, seriously flare the afterburner causing noise and bright light, and then race away like a bolt.

I've heard of the same sort of story being told by RAF Vulcan pilots. The sightings almost always doubled the apparent size of the plane.
Old 17th September 2020, 10:19 AM   #52
Checkmite

I think this is probably fiction. For one thing, I don't see someone in the middle of the desert who sees a UFO "call it in" to specifically the Navy of all people, if they called anyone at all, about it unless they already suspected Navy aircraft were responsible; but as unlikely as it is that a camper who saw a UFO in the middle of their camping trip would call a Navy base about it, it's even less credible that such a "report" would make its way back to trainee pilots.

I suspect what's happening here is the pilot described his "pranking" activities more or less accurately, but then made up the campers "calling it in" to artificially validate his opinion that the prank "worked" as intended.

Last edited by Checkmite; 17th September 2020 at 10:21 AM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2020, 12:23 PM   #53
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I think this is probably fiction. For one thing, I don't see someone in the middle of the desert who sees a UFO "call it in" to specifically the Navy of all people, if they called anyone at all, about it unless they already suspected Navy aircraft were responsible; but as unlikely as it is that a camper who saw a UFO in the middle of their camping trip would call a Navy base about it, it's even less credible that such a "report" would make its way back to trainee pilots.

I suspect what's happening here is the pilot described his "pranking" activities more or less accurately, but then made up the campers "calling it in" to artificially validate his opinion that the prank "worked" as intended.
Hmm, that's not how I read Sherkeu's post.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 18th September 2020 at 12:26 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2020, 11:04 PM   #54
Checkmite

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Hmm, that's not how I read Sherkeu's post.
According to his post, the story was being told by "a Navy pilot", who apparently proclaimed to know that some of the witnesses of his pranks "would call it in as a UFO". The implication is that at some point the information that a UFO had been "called in" would make it back to the pilot from whomever the UFO was called in to, which only really makes logical sense if that person was someone within in the pilot's own organization (i.e., the Navy). It doesn't seem possible that if the "pranked camper" had reported the "UFO" to for instance the sheriff's office, that a Navy trainee pilot would ever hear about it.
Old 19th September 2020, 08:26 AM   #55
Pope130
Illuminator

The campers' report need not have gone to US Navy authorities.
I had a similar experience at Wright-Patterson in the '70s. The attached is the C-130A "Firefly". It had a bank of 28 xenon flood lights for battlefield illumination. The single aircraft was used on a test program in Vietnam, and later returned for further development testing.
Nights it would go out for testing there would be UFO reports the following day in the local news.
The crew denied lighting up cars on lonely country roads while going to and from the test range, and, as responsible military aviators, I believe them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cQNIq.jpg (67.2 KB, 3 views)
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2020, 09:10 AM   #56
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

According to his post, the story was being told by "a Navy pilot", who apparently proclaimed to know that some of the witnesses of his pranks "would call it in as a UFO". The implication is that at some point the information that a UFO had been "called in" would make it back to the pilot from whomever the UFO was called in to, which only really makes logical sense if that person was someone within in the pilot's own organization (i.e., the Navy). It doesn't seem possible that if the "pranked camper" had reported the "UFO" to for instance the sheriff's office, that a Navy trainee pilot would ever hear about it.
He doesnt say he heard the specific calls about it.

Just listen to his short explanation. It goes 2 minutes from 00:49:00 to 00:51:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eco2s3-0zsQ

(as an aside, the guy Jeremy also on the podcast has to be one of Rogan's most annoying guests. Just chock full of dramatic self-importance)
Old 19th September 2020, 09:16 AM   #57
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
The crew denied lighting up cars on lonely country roads while going to and from the test range, and, as responsible military aviators, I believe them.
Ha ha! I'm sure if this happened in the time of E.T. and Close Encounters, people would be so in awe!

Someone needs to compile a book of military tech pranks. Maybe there already is one out there. I'd read it!
Old 19th September 2020, 05:44 PM   #58
Checkmite

He doesnt say he heard the specific calls about it.
Ah, so he only imagines/assumes that some of the incidents resulted in phone calls.
Old 19th September 2020, 05:56 PM   #59
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

Ah, so he only imagines/assumes that some of the incidents resulted in phone calls.
No. Did you watch and comprehend what he said? He says he has heard of the reports and can explain some of the 'sightings' based on what he and other pilots did as pranks.

I'm not sure why this would not make sense to you, whether you believe in alien UFO's or not. (I, for one, do not). Were you a jet pilot in the military or have some insider knowledge?

Last edited by Sherkeu; 19th September 2020 at 05:57 PM.
Old 19th September 2020, 07:24 PM   #60
Checkmite

No. Did you watch and comprehend what he said? He says he has heard of the reports and can explain some of the 'sightings' based on what he and other pilots did as pranks.

I'm not sure why this would not make sense to you, whether you believe in alien UFO's or not. (I, for one, do not). Were you a jet pilot in the military or have some insider knowledge?
No; I'm pointing out that he is assuming that his pranks created "UFO sightings", but this assumption isn't informed by any direct (or apparently even indirect) knowledge of any of the campers he pranked ever reporting what he did as a "UFO". He imagines they did, and he's confident enough that he's willing to take credit for having created some unknown number of "sightings"; but it's just an unsupported assumption on his part.
Old 19th September 2020, 07:46 PM   #61
Sherkeu
Graduate Poster

No; I'm pointing out that he is assuming that his pranks created "UFO sightings", but this assumption isn't informed by any direct (or apparently even indirect) knowledge of any of the campers he pranked ever reporting what he did as a "UFO". He imagines they did, and he's confident enough that he's willing to take credit for having created some unknown number of "sightings"; but it's just an unsupported assumption on his part.
ok. Pilots pranking campers maybe did not fool anyone into making a report. Got it.
If it is important to you then I concede. I cannot provide the verifiable documentation you seem to require.

It is still a funny prank!!
Old 19th September 2020, 08:34 PM   #62
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I can provide a reference for Vulcan's being reported as UFOs

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/r/C2645391

It's in the UK Government National Archives. No FOI required but you'll have to pay to get the pictures.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal