ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags UK issues , uk politics

Old 29th October 2020, 07:07 AM   #241
Filippo Lippi
Illuminator

Looking at Twitter, the members of his cult still have scales over their eyes
You can't defeat fascism through debate because it's not simply an idea, proposal or theory. It's a fundamentally flawed way of looking at the world. It's a distorting prism, emotionally charged and completely logic-proof. You may as well challenge rabies to a game of Boggle. @ViolettaCrisis
Filippo Lippi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2020, 02:53 PM   #242
p0lka
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
"hol aint lawmakers."
like the vatican or iran?

you're missing bits.

Last edited by p0lka; 29th October 2020 at 02:57 PM.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2020, 05:10 AM   #243
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

We're on the precipice of the NHS being overwhelmed with dying people and an economically catastrophic Brexit because of the utter failure of the government.
But look over there at the old man with a beard and no power.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd November 2020, 06:52 AM   #244
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

The Independent: The elite haven't had to overcome adversity and canít cope in a crisis.
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices...-b1454368.html

Sorry it's a link to the worse website of a national paper! It's an article that explains so much about the current government.
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:01 AM   #245
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

If a combination of Coronavirus and Brexit weren't enough, now we have terrorism to look forward to

Quote:
The UK's terrorism threat level has been upgraded from "substantial" to "severe".

The move means security chiefs believe that an attack is highly likely but there is no specific intelligence of an imminent incident.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54799377
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2020, 10:32 AM   #246
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

How long until Bojo tries to kiss up to Biden?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2020, 10:33 AM   #247
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
If a combination of Coronavirus and Brexit weren't enough, now we have terrorism to look forward to

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54799377
I guess they think the UK is next on the terrorist hit list after France and Austria.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2020, 12:25 PM   #248
Garrison
Philosopher

And on top of his long lost brother losing to Biden Johnson is slipping in the polls:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...lab-40-4-5-nov

Quote:
The latest YouGov/Times voting intention figures show Labour with 40% of the vote, meaning they're now ahead of the Conservative Party who have 35%. Last week the two parties were neck and neck with 38% each.
Starmer is also ahead in the best PM polling.

Boris had better watch out for a knife in the back given all the bad news lately.
Old 6th November 2020, 04:14 PM   #249
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
And on top of his long lost brother losing to Biden Johnson is slipping in the polls:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...lab-40-4-5-nov

Starmer is also ahead in the best PM polling.

Boris had better watch out for a knife in the back given all the bad news lately.
A revolt within his own party,perhaps?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 7th November 2020, 04:11 AM   #250
Carrot Flower King
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
How long until Bojo tries to kiss up to Biden?
I imagine that Biden's response will be that he won't deal with someone who's trying to destroy the Good Friday Agreement and that until Johnson and his cronies stop doing that he should stay a very long way away.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2020, 04:12 AM   #251
Carrot Flower King
Critical Thinker

The Tories? I'm shocked at the very idea, shocked, I tell you!
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2020, 05:09 AM   #252
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Almost certainly. He's in no danger from a general election for the next four years. Look at what happened to Maggie (spit) when she lost popular support, despite having won a landslide election victory three years earlier.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2020, 09:56 AM   #253
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Almost certainly. He's in no danger from a general election for the next four years. Look at what happened to Maggie (spit) when she lost popular support, despite having won a landslide election victory three years earlier.
And it's nosecret that lot of Tories have a huge dislike for Johnson.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 7th November 2020, 10:20 AM   #254
Carrot Flower King
Critical Thinker

And it's nosecret that lot of Tories have a huge dislike for Johnson.
But were still stupid/cynical/misguided/spineless/clueless/sheeplike/grovelling to vote for someone who has long been a serial liar, has never actually achieved anything of substance (getting elected to office and then not doing anything with that office is not of substance), has long shifted opinion with the wind as long as it benefitted his own ego...

Who and what did they think they were electing?
Old 7th November 2020, 10:28 AM   #255
Garrison
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
But were still stupid/cynical/misguided/spineless/clueless/sheeplike/grovelling to vote for someone who has long been a serial liar, has never actually achieved anything of substance (getting elected to office and then not doing anything with that office is not of substance), has long shifted opinion with the wind as long as it benefitted his own ego...

A sucker who would take the blame when Brexit negotiations end in failure?
Old 7th November 2020, 10:36 AM   #256
Carrot Flower King
Critical Thinker

^That's a better explanation than any I can think of, but doesn't explain why my MP, a serious hard Brexiteer, supported him, 'cos she really, really, really wants Brexit.
Old 8th November 2020, 02:26 AM   #257
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

He got rid of bendy buses!
Old 8th November 2020, 02:38 AM   #258
Mojo
Mostly harmless

He got rid of bendy buses!

And replaced them with Borisbuses that have pretty much all the same faults and then some.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 03:26 AM   #259
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Bendy busses are great, they use them in York for the Park and Ride.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 03:35 AM   #260
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Raab on Sky News spends two minutes not saying all votes should be counted in a democratic election.

Video in link.

https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/statu...75795142025222
Old 8th November 2020, 06:58 AM   #261
Garrison
Philosopher

And of course they have backtracked, again, over providing meals for children:

Marcus Rashford welcomes school holiday support climbdown
Old 8th November 2020, 12:34 PM   #262
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Welcome to government by headline

It's the right decision but the wrong process.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2020, 02:26 PM   #263
Garrison
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Welcome to government by headline

It's the right decision but the wrong process.
Still 50% better than Brexit...
Old 8th November 2020, 03:28 PM   #264
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Hang on you mean they agree that their previous policy to let children go hungry was wrong....
Old 9th November 2020, 03:43 AM   #265
catsmate
No longer the 1

Hang on you mean they agree that their previous policy to let children go hungry was wrong....
No, just unpopular.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 09:32 AM   #266
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
No, just unpopular.
Imagine the kind of people you must have to associate with for that to come as a surprise?

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 10:59 AM   #267
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

^That's a better explanation than any I can think of, but doesn't explain why my MP, a serious hard Brexiteer, supported him, 'cos she really, really, really wants Brexit.
But Boris will deliver the no deal brexit she wants, and take the blame for it. Win win really to any sufficiently cynical brexiteer.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2020, 03:55 AM   #268
Carrot Flower King
Critical Thinker

^Good point, I just don't think she's actually bright enough though, unless it's a cunning disguise....
Old 10th November 2020, 04:04 AM   #269
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

^Good point, I just don't think she's actually bright enough though, unless it's a cunning disguise....
Sadly part of his "appeal" is the still significant remnants of our class system.
Old 10th November 2020, 01:02 PM   #270
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
Imagine the kind of people you must have to associate with for that to come as a surprise?
I've met some of them.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 02:31 AM   #271
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
I've met some of them.
My condolences.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 05:28 AM   #272
Carrot Flower King
Critical Thinker

Sadly part of his "appeal" is the still significant remnants of our class system.
Too true.

Mind, my MP has tried to hide her privileged background (married to minor local aristocracy and living in a manor house) by describing herself on election material as a "farmer's wife". Strictly speaking this might be seen as true, but the "farm" is not anything like the ones most hill farmers of northern Northumberland survive on...

And, as I've mentioned before, that other "public" school product, Cummings, D, went to the school in Durham City that wealthier folk sent their bairns who weren't clever enough to get into either of the 2 very good state grammar schools (one of which I attended).

Beats me why anyone is convinced by these characters...
Old 11th November 2020, 07:14 AM   #273
gypsyjackson
Muse

Too true.

Mind, my MP has tried to hide her privileged background (married to minor local aristocracy and living in a manor house) by describing herself on election material as a "farmer's wife". Strictly speaking this might be seen as true, but the "farm" is not anything like the ones most hill farmers of northern Northumberland survive on...

And, as I've mentioned before, that other "public" school product, Cummings, D, went to the school in Durham City that wealthier folk sent their bairns who weren't clever enough to get into either of the 2 very good state grammar schools (one of which I attended).

Beats me why anyone is convinced by these characters...
Anne Marie Trevelyan? I wondered if she would get education secretary when FCO and DFID were merged, as there was speculation that would trigger a reshuffle. In the end it didnít, and she now doesnít have a Ministerial post.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2020, 09:29 AM   #274
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I didn’t know partners of PMs had a say on government. But then again as both Dido Harding and Kate Bingham are given lucrative contracts due to being married to members of the government, it should come as no surprise.
And they laugh as they get away with it all - and it's our money, money every working person on these islands has paid in taxes. What a gravy train it is.
This has always been a corrupt country - from the days of the rotten boroughs and the purchasing of positions to the Profumo Affair and the Expenses Scandal - but today the corruption is about as blatant as it has ever been. The same elite screwing us as ever - but with a smirk.
Old 11th November 2020, 09:30 AM   #275
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Jake Berry prompted a backlash from the Northern Ballet after he suggested Accrington Stanley was the northern equivalent of the Royal Opera House

Jake Berry said opera and ballet was “at the heart of their culture for people living in southern England,” but in the north “it is our local football club”.
The Rossendale and Darwen MP even suggested Accrington Stanley was the northern equivalent of the Royal Opera House.
The former Northern Powerhouse minister made the point in a Commons debate demanding action to protect football clubs.

But his comments led to a furious backlash from the Northern Ballet, which tweeted: “We are disappointed that an MP and former government minister continues to perpetuate tropes that culture in the north is of less value than that in London.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...rners-22994543

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 11th November 2020 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11th November 2020, 02:55 PM   #276
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I see Croydon Council has issued a section 114 notice, effectively going bankrupt.
Central government funding to Croydon has reduced by 50% since 2010.
But it's a mystery what has caused this, of course.
Old 12th November 2020, 02:00 AM   #277
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
I see Croydon Council has issued a section 114 notice, effectively going bankrupt.
No mystery, it's Labour's fault for the USA economic crash of 2008.
Old 12th November 2020, 03:07 AM   #278
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I didnít know partners of PMs had a say on government. But then again as both Dido Harding and Kate Bingham are given lucrative contracts due to being married to members of the government, it should come as no surprise.
And they laugh as they get away with it all - and it's our money, money every working person on these islands has paid in taxes. What a gravy train it is.
This has always been a corrupt country - from the days of the rotten boroughs and the purchasing of positions to the Profumo Affair and the Expenses Scandal - but today the corruption is about as blatant as it has ever been. The same elite screwing us as ever - but with a smirk.
You should probably make it clear that this is a quote from someone on twitter, and that they're responding to news that Carrie Symonds was responsible for Lee Cain leaving No. 10.
Old 12th November 2020, 03:09 AM   #279
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Here's the source of this quote
Old 12th November 2020, 03:17 AM   #280
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/...44506075279366

Quote:
Westminster is hugely febrile tonight. A Conservative MP phones to say there is a "massive bust up going on in Number 10" right now between Dominic Cummings and the PM. The MP says Mr Cummings has told the PM "if I go am taking these people with me", referring to other aides.

Senior Tory MPs are urging Mr Johnson to appoint David Canzini, a close ally of Sir Lynton Crosby who helped to run Mr Johnson's leadership campaign, to the role of chief of staff. One MP tells me: "We can get the old Boris back."

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics