ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags UK issues , uk politics

Old 12th November 2020, 04:06 AM   #281
Tolls
Philosopher

Woohoo..."the old Boris"...after all, he was a massive improvement on this current one.
No similarity between them at all.
No....nope...none at all.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 05:01 AM   #282
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
You should probably make it clear that this is a quote from someone on twitter, and that they're responding to news that Carrie Symonds was responsible for Lee Cain leaving No. 10.
It's all the same ****.
Everything coming out of no 10 is blurring in to one huge pile of grey sludge.

they aren't even pretending anymore.

What difference will Cain leaving and another gangster replacing him make?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 09:28 AM   #283
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
It's all the same ****.
Everything coming out of no 10 is blurring in to one huge pile of grey sludge.

they aren't even pretending anymore.

What difference will Cain leaving and another gangster replacing him make?
I have no idea. But without the context of what the person you were quoting without attribution was talking about, your quote was just a non-sequitur.
Old 12th November 2020, 11:32 AM   #284
Carrot Flower King
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
Woohoo..."the old Boris"...after all, he was a massive improvement on this current one.
No similarity between them at all.
No....nope...none at all.
The old one who was sacked for lying several times?

The old one who can't count how many children he has?

The old one who was going to arrange for a fellow journalist to be beaten up?

The old one who thinks a quarter of a million pounds a year for scribbling some manure of the bovine for the Telegraph is chicken feed? (Man, swap jobs - when I had one - with me and do some OD assessments or my sister and look after terminally ill folk, and then live on a nurse's salary, even our respective Band 7 ones, you idle, useless excuse for a human!)
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2020, 05:04 PM   #285
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Dominic Cummings to leave Downing Street by Christmas

Boris Johnson's senior adviser Dominic Cummings is expected to leave his position by the end of the year.

Mr Cummings told the BBC "rumours of me threatening to resign are invented", after speculation this week.

But he added that his "position hasn't changed since my January blog" when he said that he wanted to make himself "largely redundant" by the end of 2020.

And a senior Downing Street source said that Mr Cummings would be "out of government" by Christmas.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54925322
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 01:39 AM   #286
Tolls
Philosopher

That would be Laura's "senior Downing Street source", which means Dom...so he was talking about himself.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 01:41 AM   #287
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I was just coming to post that article. The most gobsmacking part of it for me:

Quote:
A No 10 insider told me Mr Cummings "jumped because otherwise he would be pushed soon", suggesting that, in the last few days, the prime minister saw that the former Vote Leave team was just "in it for themselves".
Johnson has just realised that Tories act like Tories. Congratulations, I suppose?

What is the betting now that Cummings cosies up to Gove and tries to bring Johnson down? It's been rumoured that Gove is Cummings' preferred PM and that Johnson was just a placeholder along the way.
Old 13th November 2020, 01:45 AM   #288
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Hang on you mean he won’t be around to advise how we can deal with the aftermath of Brexit... as those nasty EUers would say in their lingua franca - quelle surprise!
Old 13th November 2020, 03:16 AM   #289
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Another Brexiteer ******* off before the difficult bit.
Old 13th November 2020, 10:12 AM   #290
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Cummings has left the building according to his spokesperson Laura Kuenssberg - Cummings to leave No 10 with immediate effect https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54938050
Old 13th November 2020, 10:49 AM   #291
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Cummings has left the building according to his spokesperson Laura Kuenssberg - Cummings to leave No 10 with immediate effect https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54938050
Carrying out the boxes.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 12:31 PM   #292
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Carrying out the boxes.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
A bit slower than last time..

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 12:39 PM   #293
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by P.J. Denyer View Post
A bit slower than last time..
It is normal to have a film crew there camera's running or did Carrie tip them off?
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 01:17 PM   #294
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lothian View Post
It is normal to have a film crew there camera's running or did Carrie tip them off?
And why did he go out the front way, and not the back?

Slightly odd, he's apparently not stepping down, just not actually going into Downing Street, though he might be on gardening leave in practice.

Quote:
Cummings and Cain will continue to work for Downing Street until mid-December, with one source saying Cummings would be “working from home for six weeks”.
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2020, 04:23 PM   #295
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

https://www.theage.com.au/world/euro...6ejr.html?btis

An outsider's view. Boris's partner was part of the push.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 05:28 AM   #296
a_unique_person

Cummings was sacked, and his mate.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th November 2020, 05:45 AM   #297
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Cummings was sacked, and his mate.
In the end he did that non-comfortable class thing, thought Johnson would show loyalty and consideration; forget that they only understand loyalty as a one way tool to use others for their own gain.
Old 14th November 2020, 07:03 AM   #298
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder if Johnson now regrets not sacking him after the eye test?
Old 15th November 2020, 02:30 AM   #299
a_unique_person

If Trump didn't hog the news all the time this would be big. Boris is completely adrift. He wanted someone like Dom to tell him everything to do and tie his shoe laces for him in the morning.
Old 15th November 2020, 03:33 AM   #300
a_unique_person

What did Dom actually do wrong, though? Boris agreed with all his advice.
Old 15th November 2020, 04:06 AM   #301
Lothian
should be banned

Talk on the radio this morning that we now will see the real Boris Johnson. Rubbish, Boris Johnson is a lazy waster that spends more time trying to impregnate women than leading the country.
I recall when he stood for Tory party leader his greatest aptitude was said to be "He surrounds himself with good people". All you ever see is the image that the latest advisers promote.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2020, 04:25 AM   #302
Carrot Flower King
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
In the end he did that non-comfortable class thing, thought Johnson would show loyalty and consideration; forget that they only understand loyalty as a one way tool to use others for their own gain.
I suspect that Johnson as an Etonian/Buller Boy actually looks down on Cummings for being a Northerner (you can hear a trace or 2 of a Durham accent) and having gone to such a minor "public" school and feels somehow sullied that he had to rely on such a person and was itching to get rid.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th November 2020, 05:39 AM   #303
Wudang
BOFH

What did Dom actually do wrong, though? Boris agreed with all his advice.
I hear he annoyed Boris’s fiancé.
Old 15th November 2020, 05:59 AM   #304
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Talk on the radio this morning that we now will see the real Boris Johnson. Rubbish, Boris Johnson is a lazy waster that spends more time trying to impregnate women than leading the country.

I recall when he stood for Tory party leader his greatest aptitude was said to be "He surrounds himself with good people". All you ever see is the image that the latest advisers promote.
And like at the GE the strategy was to keep Johnson away from the media.
Old 15th November 2020, 09:32 AM   #305
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Boris will blame Cummings and Cain for the Covid mess and the **** Brexit deal.
Sure as you like!

His fans will agree, Boris was led astray and now he will sort it all out.
Old 16th November 2020, 03:41 AM   #306
a_unique_person

Boris had to choose between his best mate and his wife. What a dilemma.
Old 16th November 2020, 05:29 AM   #307
angrysoba
Philosophile

Did he put muff before mates?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2020, 06:05 AM   #308
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

Live-in girlfriend and mother of his latest child.
Old 16th November 2020, 06:24 AM   #309
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
I suspect that Johnson as an Etonian/Buller Boy actually looks down on Cummings for being a Northerner (you can hear a trace or 2 of a Durham accent) and having gone to such a minor "public" school and feels somehow sullied that he had to rely on such a person and was itching to get rid.
Probably the other way round. As a Brexiteer Dom will be thinking, 'At least I'm English'.

I wouldn't say Durham was a minor public school?

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2020, 06:28 AM   #310
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by zooterkin View Post
Live-in girlfriend and mother of his latest child
This experiment has been run with this subject on numerous occasions and the confidence interval is such that "latest" needs a qualifier. "Latest child he has admitted to" is now the preferred description.
Old 16th November 2020, 06:30 AM   #311
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post

it is minor. It is mainly for sporty kids or those who would struggle academically in the better performing state schools nearby.
Old 16th November 2020, 06:32 AM   #312
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

This experiment has been run with this subject on numerous occasions and the confidence interval is such that "latest" needs a qualifier. "Latest child he has admitted to" is now the preferred description.
Isn't there a rumour going around he's taken out a superinjunction to stop the press from mentioning yet another girlfriend, some Russian violinist whom he vanished upstairs with at an event?

Anyway I for one don't believe this is about Carrie having a strop about Dom. This is about serious politics. This stuff about Princess Nut Nut is a side show IMV to bury the real news.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2020, 06:33 AM   #313
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

it is minor. It is mainly for sporty kids or those who would struggle academically in the better performing state schools nearby.
You could be right.

Old 16th November 2020, 06:40 AM   #314
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Probably the other way round. As a Brexiteer Dom will be thinking, 'At least I'm English'.

As a university Durham is highly regarded, 3rd oldest.

I went to Durham as did my brother.

there is also a 'Public School' called Durham that is very 'minor'

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 16th November 2020 at 06:41 AM.
Old 16th November 2020, 06:44 AM   #315
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
As a university Durham is highly regarded, 3rd oldest.

I went to Durham as did my brother.

there is also a 'Public School' called Durham that is very 'minor'
He's talking about Durham School.

My son went to the Uni, too, and was surrounded by these ex-Durham people who considered themselves posh.

ETA: Image result for how is durham school ranked
Durham School ranked in the top 9% of all independent schools in the country.Mar 9, 2020

Last edited by Vixen; 16th November 2020 at 06:50 AM.
Old 16th November 2020, 06:47 AM   #316
Ethan Thane Athen
Master Poster

Great, one un-elected person being ousted by another un-elected person.... not that I'm unhappy to see Cummings go but the time to do that was when he breached lockdown.
Ethan Thane Athen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2020, 07:15 AM   #317
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

He's talking about Durham School.

My son went to the Uni, too, and was surrounded by these ex-Durham people who considered themselves posh.

ETA: Image result for how is durham school ranked
Durham School ranked in the top 9% of all independent schools in the country.Mar 9, 2020
IMO the major public schools are Eton, Harrow, Winchester, Westminster and Wellington. If your child is truly stupid and/or you are a sadist then maybe Gordonstoun creeps into the list. If your child has the misfortune to be female then maybe Benenden's on the list too.

Everything else is some variant of minor public school, though places like Upminster, Rugby, Kings' Canterbury, Fettes or St Paul are less minor than the run of the mill.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2020, 08:15 AM   #318
a_unique_person

Isn't there a rumour going around he's taken out a superinjunction to stop the press from mentioning yet another girlfriend, some Russian violinist whom he vanished upstairs with at an event?

Anyway I for one don't believe this is about Carrie having a strop about Dom. This is about serious politics. This stuff about Princess Nut Nut is a side show IMV to bury the real news.

Which is?
Old 16th November 2020, 09:14 AM   #319
Wudang
BOFH

Which is?

I seem to recall mention of some sort of health issue. Oh and apparently the bloody Europeans aren't willing to play the gentleman and sacrifice the principles of the EU so the Bojo comedy troupe aren't exposed as liars.
Old 16th November 2020, 09:53 AM   #320
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Which is?
Brexit shambles and Trump's demise.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics