IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , joe biden

Closed Thread
Old 9th November 2020, 01:01 PM   #281
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
That, when one considers the larger events context and locations that the ballots are from, is honestly not surprising, let alone suspicious at all, much as for some of them, it may be cause for suspicion that they weren't even more skewed towards Biden.
I understand that mail-in ballots would favor the democrats in any and all states, because of the conversation around it, which party was encouraging it, etc. But why would the advantage be so much larger, massively so, in those swing states vs. other states?

There may be a good explanation, but I haven't seen it so far.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 01:02 PM   #282
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I'm not a mind reader. It's certainly been floated as speculation often enough over the last four years.
Well, you're a word reader, right?

Take an educated guess... what do you think?

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 01:08 PM   #283
Garrison
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Biden's victory contradicts their claims that no moderate can win or has ever won the presidency. (As long as you ignore Obama, Clinton, etc)
They also can't process the fact that 70 million Americans looked at the last 4 years and decided they wanted more of the same. So much more comfortable to focus on Biden.
Old 9th November 2020, 01:15 PM   #284
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
I understand that mail-in ballots would favor the democrats in any and all states, because of the conversation around it, which party was encouraging it, etc. But why would the advantage be so much larger, massively so, in those swing states vs. other states?

One, I'm not sure it is. And two, because every state has different election laws, different demographics and a variety of other varying factors. What's true in Washington State may or may not correlate to Oklahoma or Michigan or Wisconsin. Nobody, absolutely nobody stood in any line in Washington State to vote. Not true in some of the swing states.

That's like asking, why is the weather different in Minnesota compared to Florida?
Old 9th November 2020, 01:15 PM   #285
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Wow. Mitch is throwing shade at Democrats while telling Trump there was no widespread voter or election fraud. He's a POS.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 01:19 PM   #286
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I had to stop listening to the turtle. He's so disgusting.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 01:26 PM   #287
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
"The key to your cell? Yeah, it's right . . . . Hmmm, I thought it was right here. Now, where did I put that? Is it . . . no, it's not there. Hang on a sec, I'll be right back, I'm sure it's around here somewhere!"
It's behind one of the following: woman, person, man, camera, TV - just up those stairs.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 01:34 PM   #288
Paul2
Philosopher

How big was it in the swing states and how big was it in other states?

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 01:54 PM   #289
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

It should be noticed by Trump and the GOP that the margins in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania are greater for Biden now than they were for Trump in 2016.
Old 9th November 2020, 01:57 PM   #290
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
It should be noticed by Trump and the GOP that the margins in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania are greater for Biden now than they were for Trump in 2016.
That just means the fraud is more widespread...
Old 9th November 2020, 02:02 PM   #291
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Nevada is turning out to be a cesspool of Fake Votes. @mschlapp & @AdamLaxalt are finding things that, when released, will be absolutely shocking

The threshold identification of Ballots is turning out to be even bigger than originally anticipated. A very large number of Ballots are impacted. Stay tuned!

Georgia will be a big presidential win, as it was the night of the Election!

Pennsylvania prevented us from watching much of the Ballot count. Unthinkable and illegal in this country.

Wisconsin is looking very good. Needs a little time statutorily. Will happen soon! @Reince @SeanDuffyWI

Tweets flagged by Twitter This claim about election fraud is disputed

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 9th November 2020 at 02:03 PM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 02:05 PM   #292
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Tweets flagged by Twitter This claim about election fraud is disputed
I wonder how long Trump will last on Twitter once he's a civilian.
Old 9th November 2020, 02:21 PM   #293
Armitage72
Illuminator

Trump Tweets

Nevada is turning out to be a cesspool of Fake Votes. @mschlapp & @AdamLaxalt are finding things that, when released, will be absolutely shocking

The threshold identification of Ballots is turning out to be even bigger than originally anticipated. A very large number of Ballots are impacted. Stay tuned!

Wisconsin is looking very good. Needs a little time statutorily. Will happen soon! @Reince @SeanDuffyWI

Two weeks.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 02:43 PM   #294
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

To be honest, the longer Trump strings along his dip-**** followers with this promise of a legal win, the better.

Eventually these people are going to snap when they finally accept that Trump lost, and the less time they have to do damage, the better. Not that they will stop under a Biden administration, but hopefully there will be a more vigorous FBI response to right wing violence than there is currently.

The message to stay calm and wait for Trump to be vindicated is preferable to the rage that is undoubtedly coming.
Old 9th November 2020, 02:48 PM   #295
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

He certainly seems to be just panicking. But if he manages to invoke some recounts, and they might not get done on December 14 .. what will electors do ?
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 03:00 PM   #296
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
He certainly seems to be just panicking. But if he manages to invoke some recounts, and they might not get done on December 14 .. what will electors do ?
The Electoral College: A 2020 Presidential Election Timeline

Quote:
December 8, 2020: The “Safe Harbor” Deadline

The U.S. Code (3 U.S.C. §5) provides that if election results are contested in any state, and if the state, prior to election day, has enacted procedures to settle controversies or contests over electors and electoral votes, and if these procedures have been applied, and the results have been determined six days before the electors’ meetings, then these results are considered to be conclusive, and will apply in the counting of the electoral votes. This date, known as the “Safe Harbor” deadline, falls on December 8 in 2020. The governor of any state where there was a contest, and in which the contest was decided according to established state procedures, is required (3 U.S.C. §6) to send a certificate describing the form and manner by which the determination was made to the Archivist as soon as practicable.
Old 9th November 2020, 03:01 PM   #297
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
It might be dawning on Trump which way things are headed.
Not yet. Turn up the volume high on this tweet:

https://twitter.com/JoBella8/status/...997942282?s=20

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 03:01 PM   #298
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
I wonder how long Trump will last on Twitter once he's a civilian.
About two units of Planck Time.
Old 9th November 2020, 03:09 PM   #299
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Sadly it's not just the President, it's the President and most of the senior people in one of the two major political parties.

I'm not sure how the US goes on from here

If people look hard enough, there will be a few cases of ineptitude, maladministration and even outright fraud, but likely literally an handful and several orders of magnitude fewer than would be required to actually influence the outcome.
The frauds and anomalies in Biden's favour will be balanced out by an equal number in Trump's. Waste of time.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 03:20 PM   #300
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Michigan

• Over 14,000 dead people registered / voted
Not possible as all ballots are checked against the death register.

Wisconsin

Quote:
  • Voter turnout higher than number of registered voters in some areas

<snip reams of rubbish>.
Clever enough to perpetrate a fraud but stupid enough to forge more ballots than the population living there?

Sling your hook.

Old 9th November 2020, 03:22 PM   #301
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

On a lighter note:
"If you're looking for a quick laugh, when you see someone who is now in day 6 of an extended meltdown over the election, go check out what they tweeted the day after the 2016 election."

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/sta...251091969?s=19
Old 9th November 2020, 03:27 PM   #302
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
I might be missing something, but that seems to say only what happens when it is resolved. But not what happens, when it is not resolved.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 03:28 PM   #303
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by TangyPoindexter View Post
Apologies for my absolutely brilliant first post. It was indeed a pocket post. I read that and wondered who that dumbass was and then realized it was me.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
How did actual words show up in that? "dedicated for"
Old 9th November 2020, 03:28 PM   #304
eerok
Quixoticist

I might be missing something, but that seems to say only what happens when it is resolved. But not what happens, when it is not resolved.
I thought this was the deadline for certification of a result. Maybe I'm wrong.
Old 9th November 2020, 03:32 PM   #305
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post

Wisconsin

Clever enough to perpetrate a fraud but stupid enough to forge more ballots than the population living there?

It's been established that they were comparing 2020 voting to 2018 voter registration. There was stupidity all right.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 03:35 PM   #306
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
Fox News is reporting that Trump is planning to start rallies again.

Get ready, the circus is coming to town.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tru...ection-results
The addict has to have his fix.
Old 9th November 2020, 03:35 PM   #307
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe, I'm naive. But I don't believe this is going to be a problem. I think we're at point where even a fair percentage of Republicans have a desire to destroy democracy in one fell swoop. They are not interested in Civil War just to satisfy Trump. Every day that passes that Biden is accepted as the President Elect the more Trump becomes inconsequential.
Old 9th November 2020, 03:37 PM   #308
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

The BESTEST thing to seal off these last few days is the announcement by Pfizer that a new vaccine is now ready for final approval. Trump will be so GUTTED that Covid19 elimination will all happen under Biden. Is it wicked of me to be giggling at the sight of him bouncing off the walls at the White House right now?

Old 9th November 2020, 03:44 PM   #309
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

First Barr, now Pence is missing too.
Where are the bodies?
I was going to put this in the Barr thread and it could go in several of the others: Barr attended the WH election night party. The one Meadows and other staff members were at who had COVID positive tests. And earlier in the day he was downplaying the risks as reporters caught up with him after he had lunch.

11-03-20: AG Bill Barr Has Election Day Steak, Feels Confident Things Will Go Peacefully
Quote:
Of course, it's likely he'll be attending the party at The White House later tonight, and as you know ... that place is being protected like Fort Knox.
Of course Pence would have been there.

Where was it Ben Carson got infected?

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 9th November 2020 at 03:45 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 03:47 PM   #310
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by turingtest View Post
Jesus wept.

"The American people should be able to have confidence in the integrity of their democratic election processes. So...how do we further that?"

"I know! We'll litigate the hell out of this one in court! And, since we don't have the evidence for fraud that will actually make a difference in the law courts, we'll litigate the whole thing at rallies!"
...at rallies filled with people who believe CTs!

Finished the sentence for you.

Yay, more superspreader events. We don't need no stoopid masks.
Old 9th November 2020, 03:48 PM   #311
Garrison
Philosopher

For all the kicking and screaming from White House this update on the BBC live feed tells you hopw things are really going:

Quote:
Fox News cuts away from Trump campaign presser
Trump's White House spokeswoman Kayleigh McEnany says: "This election is not yet over. Far from it."

"We have only begun the process" of tabulating votes and disputing totals, she says.

She goes on to accuse Democrats of "welcoming fraud and welcoming illegal voting” and Pennsylvania voting officials of barring poll-watchers from "meaningful" observation of the count in Philadelphia.

Her claim is incorrect, as Trump campaign officials were permitted into the room where votes have been counted.

The Trump campaign is hoping to have ballots that are postmarked 3 November, and received after 3 November but before 6 November, thrown out on the basis that they arrived "late".

In fact, it is normal for ballots to be counted after election day. Because of the record number of postal ballots due to the virus, officials in Pennsylvania gave a three day grace period for ballots to arrive at election centres.

As McEnany was speaking, Fox News cut away from the event, saying they could not continue to air claims for which no evidence has been provided.
I suppose you can't blame McEnany, I mean her career is dead after this so she has to cling to the sinking ship.
Old 9th November 2020, 03:49 PM   #312
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I think I recently read Trump was losing 9-0 in motions concerning the election and vote counting.

Which misses the point. Trump’s goal in going to the courts is rarely to win. It’s to delay, obfuscate, intimidate and in civil cases to wear down his opponents financially. It’s disgusting how effective his weaponizing of the judicial process has been - at least up to now.

After January 20 we’ll get to see if these tactics continue to work for him. I suspect they will - at least until the money to pay lawyers runs out.
We need one of those cases to go before Trump's SCOTUS. Bet when it does we'll see Trump's justices turn on him. Then he can rant about them not paying him back for their jobs.
Old 9th November 2020, 03:55 PM   #313
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by trustbutverify View Post
Well, you're a word reader, right?

Take an educated guess... what do you think?
I think he's a bombast and a blowhard, who likes to make a lot of noise, but I don't personally think he ever had any intention of trying to become a dictator. Just like I also never worried that he would wake up in the night and launch a nuclear strike on a whim. Or like I never worried about the roving gangs of Trump supporters who were going to start hunting down and beating gay people in Capitol Hill.
Old 9th November 2020, 03:56 PM   #314
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Dinesh D'Souza tweets

@DineshDSouza
There is a great shift under way. We are, all 70 million of us, and our families, going to make our exit OUT of liberal institutions of indoctrination. This means schools, universities, media, entertainment. This won’t happen overnight but it’s happening already. We’re outta here
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 04:00 PM   #315
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Thinking back on the election, I'd be curious if anyone's looking for statistical irregularities regarding mail ballots. There was a great suspicion that DeJoy was put in place for shenanigans, but aside from typically scummy Trump appointee behavior no overt accusations have surfaced. On the other hand, Biden lost Florida because a single county (Miami-Dade) turned out surprisingly biased towards Trump. There's other plausible explanations, but it would be reassuring to know there wasn't anything amiss with the votes themselves. ...
Miami-Dade is explained by the Cuban ex-pat vote.

As for DeJoy, he tried but was caught when the lights were turned on. So his mission failed.
Old 9th November 2020, 04:05 PM   #316
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Dinesh D'Souza tweets

@DineshDSouza
There is a great shift under way. We are, all 70 million of us, and our families, going to make our exit OUT of liberal institutions of indoctrination. This means schools, universities, media, entertainment. This won’t happen overnight but it’s happening already. We’re outta here
Dinesh DSouza is a dishonest lying moron and he's welcome to get out of higher education. I've seen everyone from Christopher Hitchens to Matt Dillahunty to Sam Harris destroy his absurd arguments.
Old 9th November 2020, 04:06 PM   #317
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Dinesh D'Souza tweets

@DineshDSouza
Please Dinesh, get out, get the **** out.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 04:06 PM   #318
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Donald J. Trump Retweeted

Chanel Rion OAN
@ChanelRion
#Developing: The #DominionVotingSystems that "glitched" in favor of Joe Biden (and was used in 29 states), partnered up with Clinton Global Initiative and had on staff former employees of both Clinton Growth Initiative and Clinton Cash Cow TENEO.
Full report on
@OANN

Flagged with
This claim about election fraud is disputed
Old 9th November 2020, 04:07 PM   #319
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Dinesh D'Souza tweets

@DineshDSouza
This is something to call for or be proud of? Drop out of school? Throw away all the tv's, phones and laptops? Wow, that guy is a moron.
Old 9th November 2020, 04:09 PM   #320
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweeted

Investigators Dispatched After Fulton County Discovers 'Issue' with Ballot Reporting
Georgia's top election official is dispatching a team of investigators after a ballot "issue" was discovered in one of the county's
breitbart.com

Perdue, Loeffler Call on Georgia Sec of State to Resign over Election
Sens. David Perdue and Kelly Loeffler (R-GA) called on Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger to resign Monday.
breitbart.com

Michigan Legislature to Hold Hearings on Election Fraud Claims
The Republican-led Michigan legislature will hold hearings Saturday to consider fraud claims regarding the presidential election.
breitbart.com
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics