ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , joe biden

Old 9th November 2020, 04:11 PM   #321
Disbelief
Master Poster

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
To be honest, the longer Trump strings along his dip-**** followers with this promise of a legal win, the better.

Eventually these people are going to snap when they finally accept that Trump lost, and the less time they have to do damage, the better. Not that they will stop under a Biden administration, but hopefully there will be a more vigorous FBI response to right wing violence than there is currently.

The message to stay calm and wait for Trump to be vindicated is preferable to the rage that is undoubtedly coming.
But this is just confusing. Am I supposed to fly my Trump flag at half mast now or wait until the lawsuits are done?

Quote me where I said conspiracists use evidence. - mchapman
Disbelief is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 04:15 PM   #322
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Disbelief View Post
But this is just confusing. Am I supposed to fly my Trump flag at half mast now or wait until the lawsuits are done?
Maybe just take it down.
Old 9th November 2020, 04:28 PM   #323
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweeted

Investigators Dispatched After Fulton County Discovers 'Issue' with Ballot Reporting
Georgia's top election official is dispatching a team of investigators after a ballot "issue" was discovered in one of the county's
breitbart.com
Wait, one of Georgia's counties has its own "breitbart.com"? How convenient.
Old 9th November 2020, 04:32 PM   #324
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Not sure which of these threads is best for it, so I'll just put it here...

Trending on Twitter -- VR Furries take over Four Seasons Landscaping
Old 9th November 2020, 04:37 PM   #325
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweeted

Investigators Dispatched After Fulton County Discovers 'Issue' with Ballot Reporting
Georgia's top election official is dispatching a team of investigators after a ballot "issue" was discovered in one of the county's
breitbart.com

Perdue, Loeffler Call on Georgia Sec of State to Resign over Election
Sens. David Perdue and Kelly Loeffler (R-GA) called on Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger to resign Monday.
breitbart.com

Michigan Legislature to Hold Hearings on Election Fraud Claims
The Republican-led Michigan legislature will hold hearings Saturday to consider fraud claims regarding the presidential election.
breitbart.com
More detail here on the ballot issue. Turns out it was found by the election board in Fulton county, and affected 342 ballots.

https://www.11alive.com/article/news...d-170bc6ebbe00
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 04:39 PM   #326
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
More detail here on the ballot issue. Turns out it was found by the election board in Fulton county, and affected 342 ballots.

https://www.11alive.com/article/news...d-170bc6ebbe00
Having detected and (presumably) rectified the issue, Biden's lead in Georgia is now up 11500.
Old 9th November 2020, 04:40 PM   #327
Ambrosia
Good of the Fods

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Two weeks.
Have you brought any fruits or vegetables onto the planet?
Ambrosia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 04:51 PM   #328
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

@AndrewSeidman

Pa House GOP members tomorrow will "call for a legislative-led audit of the 2020 election and demand election results not be certified, nor electors be seated, until the audit is complete," per news release.
TahiniBinShawarma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 04:56 PM   #329
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

"BREAKING - Attorney General William Barr has authorized federal prosecutors across the U.S. to pursue “substantial allegations” of voting irregularities before the 2020 presidential election is certified (AP News)"
TahiniBinShawarma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 04:58 PM   #330
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by TahiniBinShawarma View Post
"BREAKING - Attorney General William Barr has authorized federal prosecutors across the U.S. to pursue “substantial allegations” of voting irregularities before the 2020 presidential election is certified (AP News)"
Fred Flintstone strikes again!!

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 04:58 PM   #331
Paul2
Philosopher

@AndrewSeidman

Pa House GOP members tomorrow will "call for a legislative-led audit of the 2020 election and demand election results not be certified, nor electors be seated, until the audit is complete," per news release.
Ballotpedia says that county elections boards are required to do their own audit. Nothing yet that the legislature gets to do that, especially without the governor’s OK.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 04:59 PM   #332
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Fred Flintstone strikes again!!
LOL, I always think Messy Marvin.
Old 9th November 2020, 05:00 PM   #333
slyjoe
Master Poster

Well, I guess he finally drank the last bit of kool aid.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 05:00 PM   #334
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Originally Posted by Paul2 View Post
Ballotpedia says that county elections boards are required to do their own audit. Nothing yet that the legislature gets to do that, especially without the governor’s OK.
Electoral votes are certified by the state legislatures, I'm pretty sure they can do whatever they want before they certify. It's thir constitutional responsibility.
Old 9th November 2020, 05:02 PM   #335
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Put the election under audit with Trump's taxes.
Then the results would be released in ... two weeks!
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 05:06 PM   #336
slyjoe
Master Poster

Electoral votes are certified by the state legislatures, I'm pretty sure they can do whatever they want before they certify. It's thir constitutional responsibility.

Secretary of State in PA.
Old 9th November 2020, 05:07 PM   #337
Paul2
Philosopher

while I yield to no one in my paranoia about the election might still be stolen, the presumed lack of evidence of fraud significant enough to change an outcome in a state is a barrier that can’t be overcome, I think. This is probably just Riling up the base, akin to the investigations that go nowhere. I hope.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 05:07 PM   #338
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

What makes you think legislatures get their orders from governors? I'm not sure where you live, but that isn't how it works in the U.S.
Old 9th November 2020, 05:07 PM   #339
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I think he's a bombast and a blowhard, who likes to make a lot of noise, but I don't personally think he ever had any intention of trying to become a dictator. Just like I also never worried that he would wake up in the night and launch a nuclear strike on a whim. Or like I never worried about the roving gangs of Trump supporters who were going to start hunting down and beating gay people in Capitol Hill.
You mean like...?

He wouldn't attempt to overturn the results of an election
He wouldn't have his goons attack peaceful protesters (so that he can have a photo op)
He wouldn't use the arms of government as re-election minions
He wouldn't encourage armed whack jobd to commit political violence
He wouldn't support the whack jobs plotting to take Gov. Whitmer to trial in the woods
He wouldn't encourage violence against the media
He wouldn't blink when Saudi thugs offed a US journalist

Are these among the things you have in mind when you shill for Dear Leader's innocent intentions?
Old 9th November 2020, 05:08 PM   #340
Paul2
Philosopher

To my knowledge this is incorrect. State officials, not the legislature, carries out the certification. Happy to see contrary evidence.

Old 9th November 2020, 05:09 PM   #341
Paul2
Philosopher

What makes you think legislatures get their orders from governors? I'm not sure where you live, but that isn't how it works in the U.S.
because they’d need to pass legislation to do that, and the G’s signature is requires on a bill.

Old 9th November 2020, 05:10 PM   #342
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

while I yield to no one in my paranoia about the election might still be stolen, the presumed lack of evidence of fraud significant enough to change an outcome in a state is a barrier that can’t be overcome, I think. This is probably just Riling up the base, akin to the investigations that go nowhere. I hope.

Well that's the thing, what we think doesn't really matter. What matters is if enough legislatures ask for a full audit or hand recount.

"the presumed lack of evidence of fraud significant enough to change an outcome "

all depends on the margin of victory for each state, and the challenges. It's going to get ugly.
Old 9th November 2020, 05:12 PM   #343
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Are these among the things you have in mind when you shill for Dear Leader's innocent intentions?
Varwoche, I get tired of you immediately dropping into an insinuation that I'm a Trump supporter. I'm not, and it's very irritating.
Old 9th November 2020, 05:12 PM   #344
Paul2
Philosopher

Well that's the thing, what we think doesn't really matter. What matters is if enough legislatures ask for a full audit or hand recount.

"the presumed lack of evidence of fraud significant enough to change an outcome "

all depends on the margin of victory for each state, and the challenges. It's going to get ugly.
Again, where are you getting that a legislature has any power past what a governor would sign off on with regard to an election?

Old 9th November 2020, 05:13 PM   #345
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

because they’d need to pass legislation to do that, and the G’s signature is requires on a bill.
Legislatures don't need to pass anything to look into an election that they are constitutionally required to certify. It's their job regardless of whether the governor wants it or not.
Old 9th November 2020, 05:14 PM   #346
slyjoe
Master Poster

To my knowledge this is incorrect. State officials, not the legislature, carries out the certification. Happy to see contrary evidence.
In general, it is the Secretary of State.
Old 9th November 2020, 05:15 PM   #347
slyjoe
Master Poster

Legislatures don't need to pass anything to look into an election that they are constitutionally required to certify. It's their job regardless of whether the governor wants it or not.
Show an example of where a legislature certifies election results.
Old 9th November 2020, 05:15 PM   #348
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Varwoche, I get tired of you immediately dropping into an insinuation that I'm a Trump supporter. I'm not, and it's very irritating.
I wonder if it’s as irritating as your habit of scolding people from your disingenuously assumed position of the reasonable middle?
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 05:15 PM   #349
Paul2
Philosopher

the Leg. doesn’t certify an election. Where are you getting that. Be specific.

Old 9th November 2020, 05:17 PM   #350
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

All readers have to go by are the words you write.

Do you take those things into mind when you proclaim his good intentions? A simple yes/no will suffice.
Old 9th November 2020, 05:20 PM   #351
Venom
Illuminator

I think he's a bombast and a blowhard, who likes to make a lot of noise, but I don't personally think he ever had any intention of trying to become a dictator. Just like I also never worried that he would wake up in the night and launch a nuclear strike on a whim. Or like I never worried about the roving gangs of Trump supporters who were going to start hunting down and beating gay people in Capitol Hill.
Do wannabe dictators ever come out and explicitly say they want to be dictator? You never were worried that his followers wanted him to essentially be dictator?
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 05:26 PM   #352
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Memory, isn't that what was hoped would be done last time with Trump beating Clinton? That because he didn't win the popular vote that legislatures should send electors for Clinton?
Old 9th November 2020, 05:28 PM   #353
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Well, I guess he finally drank the last bit of kool aid.
Nah, he saw Trump fire Esper and thought, ****, better get busy.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 05:28 PM   #354
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

trump Tweets

This is good news, it means I won!
cc: @RepDougCollins @SecretarySonny
Quote Tweet

Brian Kemp
@BrianKempGA
Georgia's election result will include legally cast ballots - and ONLY legally cast ballots. Period.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 05:29 PM   #355
Paul2
Philosopher

Memory, isn't that what was hoped would be done last time with Trump beating Clinton? That because he didn't win the popular vote that legislatures should send electors for Clinton?
Handpicking the electors, not auditing the election, is perhaps the only way the Leg might insert themselves, but the SCOTUS in the past has ruled that a Leg. can only determine how electors are chosen by passing a law, which means the Governor has to sign it. Also, doing so after an election is over, for that election, is sketchy.

This is the only place at which my paranoia comes back, as this SCOTUS is not that SCOTUS of the past.

Last edited by Paul2; 9th November 2020 at 05:30 PM. Reason: For clarity
Old 9th November 2020, 05:29 PM   #356
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Ken Starr: Pennsylvania Ballot Extension 'Constitutional Travesty'
The disputed Pennsylvania ballot extension forced by state courts over the legislature is a "constitutional travesty," according to famed prosecutor Ken Starr."
newsmax.com
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 05:31 PM   #357
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Doing some quick reading on it. The constitution leaves it up to the legislatures on how to choose electors. HOWEVER, all legislatures have enacted laws on giving the electoral votes to whoever wins the states popular vote.

So the legislatures are tied into the popular vote. It's basically going to be the court deciding on everything.

Although that doesn't change that legislatures are going to be poking around with investigations. They have that power irrespective of the governor.
Old 9th November 2020, 05:32 PM   #358
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
I wonder if it’s as irritating as your habit of scolding people from your disingenuously assumed position of the reasonable middle?
You getting Susan Collins vibes? I'm getting Susan Collins vibes.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2020, 05:33 PM   #359
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Handpicking the electors, not auditing the election, is perhaps the only way the Leg might insert themselves, but the SCOTUS in the past has ruled that a Leg. can only determine how electors are chosen by passing a law, which means the Governor has to sign it. Also, doing so after an election is over, for that election, is sketchy.

This is the only place at which my paranoia comes back, as this SCOTUS is not that SCOTUS of the past.
Yeah, I don't see any laws getting passed to deal with this. They can insert themselves with hearings/investigations, that's about it.
Old 9th November 2020, 05:35 PM   #360
Paul2
Philosopher

Doing some quick reading on it. The constitution leaves it up to the legislatures on how to choose electors. HOWEVER, all legislatures have enacted laws on giving the electoral votes to whoever wins the states popular vote.

So the legislatures are tied into the popular vote. It's basically going to be the court deciding on everything.

Although that doesn't change that legislatures are going to be poking around with investigations. They have that power irrespective of the governor.
selecting electors is different significantly than investigations. The Leg can investigate all they want but it changes nothing about the power and schedule for how an election is audited and certified. Unless they go contrary to past SCOTUS and hand pick the electors.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics