IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , election conspiracies , Trump controversies , Trump supporters

Reply
Old 18th November 2020, 12:15 AM   #361
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing
 
Vixen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Suomi
Posts: 19,686
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Actually... it pretty much was the same thing. It's speculation based on belief.

Pragmatically, it's not going to happen. The electors aren't going to be faithless and put Trump in office. The states aren't going to replace their electors with those that will be faithless and vote for Trump. The military isn't going to back a coup. At the very worst, come January, the secret service will escort a very grumpy Trump out of the white house.
I would pay to watch that live.
__________________
Blott en dag, ett ögonblick i sänder,

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer pĺ!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 12:36 AM   #362
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,177
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I would pay to watch that live.
"Where would you like us to put these boxes Mr. President?"

"I'm not moving out. I WON THE ELECTION!"

"Of course you did. I'll place them by the door, the Chief Usher and his staff will be here at 9am to pack everything up for you, so be dressed by then, okay? Great. See you later!"
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 01:08 AM   #363
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 30,641
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Upon further investigation: All the tedious details for anyone interested.
Bottom line: IOW, without MI and GA, Biden still wins.

IMO if these idiots go against their electorate it won't work out well for them, especially given it's no more than an empty gesture.
It seems that the argument goes something like this...

Republicans wouldn't do something like that....
....evidence is provided of US Senators doing something like that

State Republicans wouldn't do something like that....
....evidence is provided of State senators doing something like that

Well even if they manage it in one state, it won't make a difference.......



My view is that if they're successful in one state, Republicans will be emboldened to try the same thing in other states. The GOP is still firmly behind President Trump nationally, at a state level and with local activists.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 01:18 AM   #364
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 84,734
Originally Posted by timhau View Post
He has been successful in conning people into thinking that he is a successful businessman. He even managed to leverage that into a reality TV show which actually made him money.
He cons people but always only for a limited time. When people get a look behind the curtain like seeing Trump is not a skilled POTUS, people are dying, most* of them recognize the con.

*Currently that 'most' is only 7.75 million more than the voters who are still buying into the con. But it is more than half.
__________________
Trump lost and he knows it.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 18th November 2020 at 01:19 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 01:21 AM   #365
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 84,734
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
It seems that the argument goes something like this...

Republicans wouldn't do something like that....
....evidence is provided of US Senators doing something like that

State Republicans wouldn't do something like that....
....evidence is provided of State senators doing something like that

Well even if they manage it in one state, it won't make a difference.......

My view is that if they're successful in one state, Republicans will be emboldened to try the same thing in other states. The GOP is still firmly behind President Trump nationally, at a state level and with local activists.
You seriously understate the evidence Trump will be out on Jan 20 if not sooner.

You said he'd win the election IIRC. He didn't.
__________________
Trump lost and he knows it.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 01:28 AM   #366
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!
 
Hercules Rockefeller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 3,563
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
"Where would you like us to put these boxes Mr. President?"

"I'm not moving out. I WON THE ELECTION!"

"Of course you did. I'll place them by the door, the Chief Usher and his staff will be here at 9am to pack everything up for you, so be dressed by then, okay? Great. See you later!"
__________________
Quantum physics means that anything can happen at anytime and for no reason. Also, eat plenty of oatmeal, and animals never had a war! - Deepak Chopra
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 02:46 AM   #367
The Don
Penultimate Amazing
 
The Don's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Sir Fynwy
Posts: 30,641
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
You seriously understate the evidence Trump will be out on Jan 20 if not sooner.

You said he'd win the election IIRC. He didn't.
I said I thought he had a good chance of winning the election, and have done so throughout his term. He seems to have got much closer than expected - worryingly so.

I also said that I thought that there was a non-zero chance that even having "lost" the election, President Trump would be able to overturn the result. The noises coming from the most senior members of the GOP nationally, the actions of the GOP in locally and at a state level and the pronouncements of several members of SCOTUS indicate that he would have considerable support in attempting this
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 02:59 AM   #368
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 84,734
The Hill: Republicans start turning the page on Trump era
Quote:
Top Republicans are starting to acknowledge publicly that Joe Biden will be the next president of the United States, turning the page on the Trump era.

Congressional Republicans and even a high-ranking White House official have, in recent days, referred to the upcoming change in administration.

National security adviser Robert O’Brien promised a “professional transition” of power, saying it looks like Biden has won the election....

Sen. James Risch (R-Idaho), chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, acknowledged Biden’s victory in an interview with The Spokesman-Review, based in Spokane, Wash. ...

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) on Monday afternoon referred to Biden as the president-elect. ...

Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) said it would make sense to give Biden access to intelligence briefings....

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) said he didn’t see any evidence that addressing any incidents of voter fraud or miscounted ballots would be enough to erase Biden’s lead in Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin and other key battleground states. ...

On Sunday, Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine (R) told CNN “it’s clear that — certainly based on what we know now — that Joe Biden is the president-elect” and argued “it’s important” that a normal transition of power begin. ...

One Republican senator predicted that more GOP colleagues would acknowledge Biden as president-elect this week. ...
Michigan county reverses course, votes unanimously to certify election results
Quote:
The board of canvassers in Michigan’s largest county reversed course late Tuesday, voting unanimously to certify the election results after initially being deadlocked in a party-line vote.

The Michigan secretary of state’s office confirmed that the Wayne County Board of Canvassers voted by a 4-0 margin to certify the election results in Wayne County, which is heavily Democratic and includes Detroit, and that the board is requesting that Jocelyn Benson, the state’s top elections official, investigate any discrepancies in vote totals.
It's over. It's time to start talking about Trump leaving. We need to stop repeating the fear mongering Trump is trying to make people believe. He's a con man. He's a loser. He's flailing.
__________________
Trump lost and he knows it.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 03:03 AM   #369
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 28,403
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
It's over. It's time to start talking about Trump leaving. We need to stop repeating the fear mongering Trump is trying to make people believe. He's a con man. He's a loser. He's flailing.
He is trying to make people believe he won.

He is not trying to tell people he is trying to overturn the legitimate result of the election.

Some of us here are pointing out that he is trying to do that.

You think that pointing out this fact is fear mongering. It is stating pure facts. Nothing more.
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 03:16 AM   #370
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 84,734
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
He is trying to make people believe he won.

He is not trying to tell people he is trying to overturn the legitimate result of the election.

Some of us here are pointing out that he is trying to do that.

You think that pointing out this fact is fear mongering. It is stating pure facts. Nothing more.
Not everyone is on the page you describe.

There is a way to frame what Trump is doing without falling victim to the con.

I'm pointing that out.

As far as I can tell I'm the only one pointing out his con is a fail. If one wants to describe his con, say so. If you think he's succeeding, say so but present evidence that is the case.

Trump says he's succeeding. The msn reports on his claims with little contradicting of that except to say he's making false claims. That's a start and it's better than they did in 2016 where they were unknowingly complicit.

Do you believe Trump is succeeding?
__________________
Trump lost and he knows it.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 03:56 AM   #371
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 49,898
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
There are whack-jobs in state legislatures, I know that. We've had some doozies here in WA.

But the idea the governors and legislators in the states that matter would sacrifice their states' voters on the alter of Trump doesn't fit the evidence.
Sure, see the whole response to Corona virus. Nope no sacrificing people to trump's ego there.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 04:32 AM   #372
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 28,403
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Not everyone is on the page you describe.

There is a way to frame what Trump is doing without falling victim to the con.

I'm pointing that out.

As far as I can tell I'm the only one pointing out his con is a fail. If one wants to describe his con, say so. If you think he's succeeding, say so but present evidence that is the case.

Trump says he's succeeding. The msn reports on his claims with little contradicting of that except to say he's making false claims. That's a start and it's better than they did in 2016 where they were unknowingly complicit.

Do you believe Trump is succeeding?
I am saying he is attempting a coup. I am explicitly saying exactly this.

I said that your position is "Relax, it is only an attempted coup".

I don't think anyone doubts he is incompetent and likely cannot pull this off, but it is an attempted coup.
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 05:12 AM   #373
Olmstead
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 299
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I am saying he is attempting a coup. I am explicitly saying exactly this.

I said that your position is "Relax, it is only an attempted coup".

I don't think anyone doubts he is incompetent and likely cannot pull this off, but it is an attempted coup.
Yeah, it's a little baffling. Like letting an attempted murder suspect go due to incompetence. But then, what can be done when he apparently has almost half the country on his side and most of the GOP is too scared to rein him in?
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 05:45 AM   #374
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler
 
Horatius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 28,595
Originally Posted by Olmstead View Post
Yeah, it's a little baffling. Like letting an attempted murder suspect go due to incompetence. But then, what can be done when he apparently has almost half the country on his side and most of the GOP is too scared to rein him in?


It's actually a bit worse than that. You're speaking in the past tense, as if someone had taken a shot and missed. But right now the "suspect" is still shooting, and we're all like, "Man, that guy's a bad shot. When he runs out of ammo, we should really do something about him...."
__________________
Obviously, that means cats are indeed evil and that ownership or display of a feline is an overt declaration of one's affiliation with dark forces. - Cl1mh4224rd
Horatius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 05:49 AM   #375
d4m10n
Philosopher
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 5,944
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
My view is that if they're successful in one state, Republicans will be emboldened to try the same thing in other states.
Precisely, and this is why each small fire must be thoroughly doused and the individual pyromaniacs held to account.
__________________
"Well, a statement like that is all the better for proof, but go on, anyway." - Salvor Hardin

Last edited by d4m10n; 18th November 2020 at 05:53 AM.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 05:56 AM   #376
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 31,803
Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
But right now the "suspect" is still shooting, and we're all like, "Man, that guy's a bad shot. When he runs out of ammo, we should really do something about him...."
Actually, some are even saying "When he runs out of ammo, we should probably just let him wander off, because he's sure not to cause any more trouble."

Dave
__________________
Inspiring discussion of Sharknado is not a good sign for the audience expectations of your new high-concept SF movie sequel.

- Myriad
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 06:55 AM   #377
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing
 
Craig4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA Home to the Deep State.
Posts: 21,914
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
It seems that the argument goes something like this...

Republicans wouldn't do something like that....
....evidence is provided of US Senators doing something like that

State Republicans wouldn't do something like that....
....evidence is provided of State senators doing something like that

Well even if they manage it in one state, it won't make a difference.......



My view is that if they're successful in one state, Republicans will be emboldened to try the same thing in other states. The GOP is still firmly behind President Trump nationally, at a state level and with local activists.
I'm encouraged by the fact that the Republican leadership has said they won't seat their own electors in both Pennsylvania and Michigan. What concerns me though is that is mostly based on them adhering to political norms. While admirable that they aren't bowing to pressure, all it would take next time this happens would be a few people not as resistant to pressure. This election should be a wake up call that in the short term, we need to shore up our election systems to force the implementation of the will of the people. In the long run, we need to get rid of the electoral college. These games wouldn't matter if the presidency went to the winner of the most popular votes.
__________________
A MAGA hat = a Swastika arm band. A vote for Trump is a vote for treason.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 07:19 AM   #378
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,708
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Precisely, and this is why each small fire must be thoroughly doused and the individual pyromaniacs held to account.
What sort of account do you have in mind?
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 07:28 AM   #379
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster
 
cosmicaug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,175
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
My view is that if they're successful in one state, Republicans will be emboldened to try the same thing in other states. The GOP is still firmly behind President Trump nationally, at a state level and with local activists.
We can call it fear mongering but perhaps fear is the proper response. You need to treat a real danger as real in order to manage it. The notion that it magically "can't happen here" because of reasons is an awful framing. Acknowledging that it could happen here is the proper framing.

I think he's unlikely to get away with it. Unlikely does not mean impossible, however (though it asymptotically approaches impossible with every passing day). He should not get a pass for his incompetence though: he is attempting a coup (and yes, it counts even if he's not, presumably, counting on the military stepping in —I think it has only been Skeptic Ginger who brought up military support as if somehow it was implied or needed).

We have gotten lucky in that this election was not close and that, rather than some alleged decency of state level Republicans, is at least one thing that has kept the sort of shenanigans needed to overturn the election at bay. Trump was not even very subtle about telegraphing an exclusive focus on Pennsylvania & their initial moves were consistent with that. However, the results we got require overturning more than PA, which they clearly had not expected nor planned for (turning the whole enterprise into this bizarrely incompetent improvisational effort now led by the inimitably deranged Giuliani).

Right now, the Wayne County Board of Canvassers relented & certified their county results because of public pressure. That pressure, presumably premised on outrage at this attempted coup, is as it should be (it's good that everyone did not simply ignore it because it allegedly couldn't succeed). Others are watching what happened with this canvassing board and the fact that it went down as it did matters. If, instead, this had turned into a weeks long certification standoff it also would have mattered (having the effect of possibly emboldening others). GOP politicians are on standby because they are trying to figure out what other GOP politicians are trying to do. Hopefully, this will collapse like a house of cards at some point (but it should not be treated as some sort of inevitability).

Calling it a con, is not helpful We all know it's a con. It can be both a con and an attempted coup. It can even be a con and successful. Just look at these last 4 years: if his presidential campaign was a con (which I think it was: I think it is likely that the presidency did not even particularly interest him), then it was a successful con.
__________________
--
August Pamplona
cosmicaug is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 07:44 AM   #380
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14,149
Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
We can call it fear mongering but perhaps fear is the proper response. You need to treat a real danger as real in order to manage it. The notion that it magically "can't happen here" because of reasons is an awful framing. Acknowledging that it could happen here is the proper framing.

I think he's unlikely to get away with it. Unlikely does not mean impossible, however (though it asymptotically approaches impossible with every passing day). He should not get a pass for his incompetence though: he is attempting a coup (and yes, it counts even if he's not, presumably, counting on the military stepping in —I think it has only been Skeptic Ginger who brought up military support as if somehow it was implied or needed).

We have gotten lucky in that this election was not close and that, rather than some alleged decency of state level Republicans, is at least one thing that has kept the sort of shenanigans needed to overturn the election at bay. Trump was not even very subtle about telegraphing an exclusive focus on Pennsylvania & their initial moves were consistent with that. However, the results we got require overturning more than PA, which they clearly had not expected nor planned for (turning the whole enterprise into this bizarrely incompetent improvisational effort now led by the inimitably deranged Giuliani).

Right now, the Wayne County Board of Canvassers relented & certified their county results because of public pressure. That pressure, presumably premised on outrage at this attempted coup, is as it should be (it's good that everyone did not simply ignore it because it allegedly couldn't succeed). Others are watching what happened with this canvassing board and the fact that it went down as it did matters. If, instead, this had turned into a weeks long certification standoff it also would have mattered (having the effect of possibly emboldening others). GOP politicians are on standby because they are trying to figure out what other GOP politicians are trying to do. Hopefully, this will collapse like a house of cards at some point (but it should not be treated as some sort of inevitability).

Calling it a con, is not helpful We all know it's a con. It can be both a con and an attempted coup. It can even be a con and successful. Just look at these last 4 years: if his presidential campaign was a con (which I think it was: I think it is likely that the presidency did not even particularly interest him), then it was a successful con.
It should be noted that for the MAGA morons, the fact that the Wayne County Board of Canvassers relented is proof of conspiracy 'cause they were doxed and threatened to change their votes. Thus, that incident will be taken as evidence of the Democrats stealing the election by roughly half the voter base.

The reason for that many people being so detached from reality is the coup Trump and his cronies are attempting. They effectively control the information received by half the voter base.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1

Last edited by uke2se; 18th November 2020 at 07:46 AM.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 08:34 AM   #381
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster
 
cosmicaug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,175
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
It should be noted that for the MAGA morons, the fact that the Wayne County Board of Canvassers relented is proof of conspiracy 'cause they were doxed and threatened to change their votes. Thus, that incident will be taken as evidence of the Democrats stealing the election by roughly half the voter base.

The reason for that many people being so detached from reality is the coup Trump and his cronies are attempting. They effectively control the information received by half the voter base.
Sure. When I wrote that we all know it's a con I did not mean to imply universality. I meant "all" as referring to thread participants (though it applies equally well to Republican politicians, save for the rare QAnon moron, who are perfectly fine with being complicit in the con).
__________________
--
August Pamplona
cosmicaug is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 08:46 AM   #382
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,177
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Precisely, and this is why each small fire must be thoroughly doused and the individual pyromaniacs held to account.
Particularly in cases like this one, where it's perfectly obvious what's happening as well as what will happen should things continue.

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
It should be noted that for the MAGA morons, the fact that the Wayne County Board of Canvassers relented is proof of conspiracy 'cause they were doxed and threatened to change their votes. Thus, that incident will be taken as evidence of the Democrats stealing the election by roughly half the voter base.

The reason for that many people being so detached from reality is the coup Trump and his cronies are attempting. They effectively control the information received by half the voter base.
The other big complaint is "the dems made it about race!" which, when you're outright stating that you want to block the majority-black city over the suburbs, even though the irregularities you're whining about were more likely in several majority-white suburbs, you've obviously "made it about race" yourself, and it's hardly a suprise when the entire public begins pointing that out while snarling and giving you side-eye.

(And as much as many people want to point to Biden's potential loss, I have to wonder what effect, if any, this could have on state and local elections, which many people yet again wish to ignore)
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 09:32 AM   #383
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster
 
cosmicaug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,175
This article captures much of how I am thinking about this:
https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/trump-coup-election-michigan/

Originally Posted by From the article
Three things remain true in the two weeks since the election: 1. Trump and his campaign persist in trying to engineer a coup. 2. This coup has excited support from grassroots Republican activists all over America. 3. This coup is very badly run and will almost certainly fail. 4. Even as it fails, the coup will do lasting damage to American democracy and could set a precedence for future aspiring autocrats.
[...]
The Trump campaign is trying to hack the election results by using the partisan loyalty of local Republicans, who are an essential part of the machinery of elections. These local officials are being urged to muddy the water of clear vote counts. As Politico writer Tim Alberta notes, “This system of certifying has always been ripe for exploitation by partisan hacks. Now the stars have aligned — a demagogue president, a party bereft of integrity, and an activist base that believes 244 years of democratic norms are expendable if it means 4 more years of power.” Republican donor Dan Eberhart came to the same conclusion, telling CNN that, “Trump has figured out how to weaponize the machinery of government post-election. This is something that happens in a banana republic, not George Washington’s republic.”
[...]
So far, neither the Republicans nor the Democrats have figured out how to neutralize Trump’s use of the coup to shore up his own power. As a simple coup attempt, Trump’s gambit is almost sure to fail. One reason the coup will fail is that the election results aren’t really close in the swing states, where Biden’s lead is robust. But in the future if there are closer elections, Trump’s coup will be the model for a successful coup.
As he writes on Twitter:
Quote:
... Trump's clownish authoritarianism makes it hard to calibrate a response: to take Trump's schemes as likely to succeed is to fall into hysteria. To dismiss them as mere distraction is to fall into complacency. Both responses wrong.
__________________
--
August Pamplona
cosmicaug is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 09:44 AM   #384
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing
 
lomiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 11,070
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
The Hill: Republicans start turning the page on Trump era

Michigan county reverses course, votes unanimously to certify election results

It's over. It's time to start talking about Trump leaving. We need to stop repeating the fear mongering Trump is trying to make people believe. He's a con man. He's a loser. He's flailing.
The fact that it took them this long suggests they were weighing the options. The fact that they waited this long to *start* saying these things adds weight to the "it's a possibility" argument. If it wasn't a possibility there would be no need for them to have thought about it for this long.

Another possible coup option for Trump is that anyone who has the legal authority to forcibly remove him from power works either directly or indirectly for Chad Wolf. Even a supreme court ruling would require someone to enforce it, and that someone would ultimately be someone who reports to Wolf. Keep in mind this is the sleazebag who authorized putting children in cages, and that the people ultimately doing that work followed those order.

I rate this possibility as very low, but it should be zero and the fact that it isn't is worth discussing.
__________________
"Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen"
lomiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 09:49 AM   #385
slyjoe
Master Poster
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 2,382
Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
The fact that it took them this long suggests they were weighing the options. The fact that they waited this long to *start* saying these things adds weight to the "it's a possibility" argument. If it wasn't a possibility there would be no need for them to have thought about it for this long.

Another possible coup option for Trump is that anyone who has the legal authority to forcibly remove him from power works either directly or indirectly for Chad Wolf. Even a supreme court ruling would require someone to enforce it, and that someone would ultimately be someone who reports to Wolf. Keep in mind this is the sleazebag who authorized putting children in cages, and that the people ultimately doing that work followed those order.

I rate this possibility as very low, but it should be zero and the fact that it isn't is worth discussing.
I thought a court said Wolf was appointed illegaly?
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 09:59 AM   #386
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing
 
lomiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 11,070
Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
I thought a court said Wolf was appointed illegaly?
He ignored them and stayed in the role anyway. Courts have subsequently ruled that appointments he made in that time lack legal authority. So far as I know, though, all those people are still filling those roles whether the courts consider it legal or not.

Would he do the same and just ignore a court ruling that Trump isn't the president? I don't think so because it carries much bigger consequences if his department doesn't follow his orders, but the fact that it's possible when it should be unthinkable is worth discussing.
__________________
"Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen"
lomiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 11:03 AM   #387
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 13,337
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Supporting evidence vs no evidence re your false equivalence.
Okay, I'm still very confused. What false equivalence are you referring to?
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 11:04 AM   #388
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 13,337
Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I would pay to watch that live.
If he goes all toddlery, I expect we'll all get to see it for free and it will be immortalized on the internet forever.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 11:05 AM   #389
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,696
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Okay, I'm still very confused. What false equivalence are you referring to?
Then stay confused. Because you're doing it intentionally.
__________________
- No, someone having reality and facts on their side does not mean they have been given an unfair advantage and it is not a bias against you. You're just wrong.
- There is no Overton Window for facts.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 11:14 AM   #390
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher
 
SuburbanTurkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 6,807
Proud Boys on parler are calling for one of county officials in Michigan responsible for certifying the results to be doxxed and harassed. Multiple threats of violence in the replies.

Quote:
Replies to the Proud Boys' parley on "Ned": "Ned needs to be killed before he murders an American with an immigrant from Morocco."

"Someone should burn his house down."

"I think a few MAGA PATRIOTS should pay this repugnant radical piece of **** a visit!"

This is ongoing.
https://twitter.com/econbrkfst/statu...25482994884609
__________________
Gobble gobble
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 11:15 AM   #391
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 49,898
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Proud Boys on parler are calling for one of county officials in Michigan responsible for certifying the results to be doxxed and harassed. Multiple threats of violence in the replies.



https://twitter.com/econbrkfst/statu...25482994884609
Looks like it is getting time to stop standing by.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 11:54 AM   #392
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing
 
phiwum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 12,708
Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
The fact that it took them this long suggests they were weighing the options. The fact that they waited this long to *start* saying these things adds weight to the "it's a possibility" argument. If it wasn't a possibility there would be no need for them to have thought about it for this long.

Another possible coup option for Trump is that anyone who has the legal authority to forcibly remove him from power works either directly or indirectly for Chad Wolf. Even a supreme court ruling would require someone to enforce it, and that someone would ultimately be someone who reports to Wolf. Keep in mind this is the sleazebag who authorized putting children in cages, and that the people ultimately doing that work followed those order.

I rate this possibility as very low, but it should be zero and the fact that it isn't is worth discussing.
Chad Wolf isn't a problem. He hasn't been legally appointed to acting DHS Secretary so he doesn't have any powers.

A law and order administration like this one surely wouldn't ignore a ruling like that. So, totally, no problems there!

ETA: Ninja'ed and answered above. I think Iomiller is likely right. Wolf's questionable status makes a problematic fact for Trump and so less likely he'll pursue this option, but not beyond the realm of plausibility.

Last edited by phiwum; 18th November 2020 at 11:57 AM.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 12:36 PM   #393
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14,149
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Proud Boys on parler are calling for one of county officials in Michigan responsible for certifying the results to be doxxed and harassed. Multiple threats of violence in the replies.



https://twitter.com/econbrkfst/statu...25482994884609
Time for the feds to arrest some CHUDS.

ETA: I'd say these qualify as terroristic threats, considering they are attacking the democratic process. Nevertheless, authorities could probably go after Parler as a platform as well unless they immediately ban these pieces of filth.
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1

Last edited by uke2se; 18th November 2020 at 12:46 PM.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 12:49 PM   #394
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: The Wettest Desert on Earth
Posts: 13,337
Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Proud Boys on parler are calling for one of county officials in Michigan responsible for certifying the results to be doxxed and harassed. Multiple threats of violence in the replies.



https://twitter.com/econbrkfst/statu...25482994884609
That guy, as well as those who have posted in agreement with him, need to go to jail for a very long time.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 03:57 PM   #395
d4m10n
Philosopher
 
d4m10n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Mounts Farm
Posts: 5,944
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
What sort of account do you have in mind?
Having demonstrated open contempt for democratic principles of succession, taking them out of the decision-making process for elections would be a good start.
__________________
"Well, a statement like that is all the better for proof, but go on, anyway." - Salvor Hardin
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 07:15 PM   #396
Shadowdweller
Graduate Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,002
The Nazi Party was laughed off by the German public after the Beer Hall Putsch as well. If Biden's rhetoric and past history are any kind of predictors, it is, unfortunately, very unlikely that he will mount an effective response of his own volition. Americans are dying as we speak from Trumpist maladministration of the Covid-19 response. It is critical to both the lives of our citizens and the future of our nation that Trumpist partisans and collaborators be held accountable for their misdeeds.
Shadowdweller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 08:36 PM   #397
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,177
Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Time for the feds to arrest some CHUDS.

ETA: I'd say these qualify as terroristic threats, considering they are attacking the democratic process. Nevertheless, authorities could probably go after Parler as a platform as well unless they immediately ban these pieces of filth.
The feds don't have a good record responding to online threats - it's mostly a lot of "Well, buy a gun, hire security if you want, and...um, stay safe out there." We'll see if that changes for low-level government officials, rather than women in gaming and nonwhite people in general.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 10:16 PM   #398
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster
 
cosmicaug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,175
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I'm not saying there's a teapot orbiting Mercury. I'm just saying that it's not impossible.
Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
The fact that it took them this long suggests they were weighing the options. The fact that they waited this long to *start* saying these things adds weight to the "it's a possibility" argument. If it wasn't a possibility there would be no need for them to have thought about it for this long.

Another possible coup option for Trump is that anyone who has the legal authority to forcibly remove him from power works either directly or indirectly for Chad Wolf. Even a supreme court ruling would require someone to enforce it, and that someone would ultimately be someone who reports to Wolf. Keep in mind this is the sleazebag who authorized putting children in cages, and that the people ultimately doing that work followed those order.

I rate this possibility as very low, but it should be zero and the fact that it isn't is worth discussing.
But wait, there's more!

Now they want to take it back!

https://twitter.com/DonovanSlack/status/1329277981492191232
__________________
--
August Pamplona
cosmicaug is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 10:48 PM   #399
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 84,734
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
I am saying he is attempting a coup. I am explicitly saying exactly this.

I said that your position is "Relax, it is only an attempted coup".

I don't think anyone doubts he is incompetent and likely cannot pull this off, but it is an attempted coup.
Have we not exhausted this exchange yet?
__________________
Trump lost and he knows it.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2020, 10:50 PM   #400
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 84,734
Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Precisely, and this is why each small fire must be thoroughly doused and the individual pyromaniacs held to account.
Is there an action plan on any of those links, or just fret-festing?

I don't want to click on them unless there are things I'm supposed to do.
__________________
Trump lost and he knows it.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:11 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.