IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 6th January 2021, 12:41 PM   #81
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Pictures of guards in chamber with weapons drawn covering the doors.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 12:41 PM   #82
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
It's literally the crowd from Trump's rally a couple of hours ago.

It's the selfsame group of people.
And Trump is still egging them on.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 12:42 PM   #83
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Armed stand off with protestors in the rotunda.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 12:42 PM   #84
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
It's literally the crowd from Trump's rally a couple of hours ago.

It's the selfsame group of people.
Here you go again, citing facts as if they mattered.
Old 6th January 2021, 12:45 PM   #85
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

They’re in the chamber. One is up on the dais yelling “Trump won that election!”
Old 6th January 2021, 12:47 PM   #86
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Protestors on all floors going door to door around the offices.
Old 6th January 2021, 12:52 PM   #87
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Shoot the bastards.They are involved in a violent attempt to overthrow the government of the United States.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 12:53 PM   #88
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Mitt Romeny just called this "Insurrection".
And Trump is doing this nothing.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 6th January 2021, 12:53 PM   #89
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

They have got on to scaffolding and are climbing around on the outside of the building banging on windows.
Old 6th January 2021, 12:53 PM   #90
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Police were able to tear gas and riot shield actual peaceful protestors so Trump could stand in front of a church and hold a bible upside down. Now suddenly the police are useless. CNN keeps cutting to small columns of cops and handfuls of police vehicles that are totally ineffective and not doing anything.
I wouldn't necessarily draw that conclusion based on a video clip. I imagine the rules of engagement here are pretty strict. People have been shot for less than the MAGA idiots are doing but I think "no fatalities" is a pretty big priority.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 12:55 PM   #91
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Shoot the bastards.They are involved in a violent attempt to overthrow the government of the United States.
Gorilla tranquilizer would be OK with me.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 12:56 PM   #92
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Rep. Dan Kildee tweets

@RepDanKildee
I am in the House Chambers. We have been instructed to lie down on the floor and put on our gas masks. Chamber security and Capitol Police have their guns drawn as protesters bang on the front door of the chamber.

This is not a protest. This is an attack on America.
Old 6th January 2021, 12:57 PM   #93
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

There is video of a woman covered in blood being taken out of the Capitol on a stretcher
Old 6th January 2021, 12:58 PM   #94
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Mitt Romeny just called this "Insurrection".
And Trump is doing this nothing.
Nonsense - he's probably tweeting his support.

What's next? Hostages?
Old 6th January 2021, 12:58 PM   #95
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Aaron C. Davis (WaPo) tweets

@byaaroncdavis
BREAKING: A source tells me The Defense Department has just denied a request by DC officials to deploy the National Guard to the US Capitol.
Old 6th January 2021, 12:59 PM   #96
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Garrett Haake (NBC) tweets

@GarrettHaake
Two sources familiar tell me that @SpeakerPelosi & @MayorBowser have asked for the national guard to come to Capitol Hill to clear rioters. One of those sources says DOD has not yet approved change-of-mission for the DC guard.
Old 6th January 2021, 01:00 PM   #97
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

So there you have it, the National Guard were only there to gas Black Lives Matter protestors ... but won't come and help when the seat of government is invaded???
Old 6th January 2021, 01:01 PM   #98
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently, the national guard isn't authorized to be there because DC isn't a state.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 01:02 PM   #99
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Garrett Haake (NBC) tweets

@GarrettHaake
Two sources familiar tell me that @SpeakerPelosi & @MayorBowser have asked for the national guard to come to Capitol Hill to clear rioters. One of those sources says DOD has not yet approved change-of-mission for the DC guard.
Quote:
Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort.
Tell me how this doesn't fit.
Old 6th January 2021, 01:16 PM   #100
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Apparently, the national guard isn't authorized to be there because DC isn't a state.
D.C. has National Guard units which the Mayor activated and deployed elsewhere to deal with planned demonstrations. Apparently they need new orders approved by the Pentagon before they can go to the Capitol.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 01:18 PM   #101
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

On the bright side, in many other countries police and troops would have opened up with machine guns. So far here, nobody's been killed, and only a few injuries have been reported.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 01:23 PM   #102
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
On the bright side, in many other countries police and troops would have opened up with machine guns. So far here, nobody's been killed, and only a few injuries have been reported.
Yes because surrendering your government chambers to terrorists and evacuating the building is so much a better look.
Old 6th January 2021, 01:26 PM   #103
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Kellyanne Conway tweets

@KellyannePolls
STOP. Just STOP. Peace. Law and Order. Safety for All
Old 6th January 2021, 01:26 PM   #104
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Ted Cruz tweets

@tedcruz
Violence is always unacceptable. Even when passions run high.

Anyone engaged in violence—especially against law enforcement—should be fully prosecuted.

God bless the Capitol Police and the honorable men & women of law enforcement who show great courage keeping all of us safe.
Old 6th January 2021, 01:29 PM   #105
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Yes because surrendering your government chambers to terrorists and evacuating the building is so much a better look.
Vs. a massive death count? Yes, actually. Eventually all these people will be arrested and prosecuted.
Old 6th January 2021, 01:29 PM   #106
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

@tedcruz

Anyone engaged in violence—especially against law enforcement—should be fully prosecuted.

God bless the Capitol Police and the honorable men & women of law enforcement who show great courage keeping all of us safe.
Aw, it is so nice when we get this kind of word from people that worked hard for decades to get today's outcome.
Old 6th January 2021, 01:30 PM   #107
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Trump will be out by Friday.
Old 6th January 2021, 01:33 PM   #108
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I always knew this thing would end in total ********, I just didn't expect this would be the form it would take. I thought he'd start a war with Iran instead. I guess there's still time for that.
Old 6th January 2021, 01:34 PM   #109
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I always knew this thing would end in total ********, I just didn't expect this would be the form it would take. I thought he'd start a war with Iran instead. I guess there's still time for that.
He could have and we just haven't heard about it yet.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 01:35 PM   #110
Armitage72
Philosopher

"Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?"

Last edited by Armitage72; 6th January 2021 at 01:36 PM.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 01:35 PM   #111
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Old 6th January 2021, 01:36 PM   #112
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Vs. a massive death count? Yes, actually. Eventually all these people will be arrested and prosecuted.
Your government was driven out of it's own chamber and seat of power by terrorists. They are cowering in a bunker somewhere.

If there is a time to start shooting this is it.
Old 6th January 2021, 01:37 PM   #113
Mumbles
Philosopher

Kellyanne Conway tweets

@KellyannePolls
Ted Cruz tweets

@tedcruz

Leopards, faces, etc.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 01:39 PM   #114
Dragon
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Trump will be out by Friday.
Voluntarily, "voluntarily" after a visit by senior republicans or via section 4 of the 25th Amendent?
Old 6th January 2021, 01:41 PM   #115
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Kellyanne Conway tweets

@KellyannePolls
A bow and arrow against the lightning.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 01:42 PM   #116
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Originally Posted by CNN
Multiple officers injured in the mob violence
From CNN's Pamela Brown and Noah Gray

Multiple officers have been injured with at least one transported to the hospital, multiple sources tell CNN.

Pro-Trump rioters stormed the US Capitol earlier today, where members of Congress were meeting to certify President-elect Joe Biden's win.
That's from their live feed.
Old 6th January 2021, 01:42 PM   #117
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
I think his followers will be seriously seep off after a time. I mean, how will he hold rallies without a campaign staff? Security? Who will let him a venue without up-front payment? Will the news cover him, once he is no longer president and has nothing sensible to say? (He never had, but the POTUS speaking nonsense is newsworthy in itself)

Hans
Why not?

Before he was president they covered him even though he had nothing sensible to say.

For years CNN let him call in and ramble on about shocking Birther evidence he was really close to releasing. Really, really close. And really, really shocking.
Old 6th January 2021, 01:43 PM   #118
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
Voluntarily, "voluntarily" after a visit by senior republicans or via section 4 of the 25th Amendent?
If anybody has any sense it'll be a relapse of Covid infection and he'll be reported to be in an induced coma until his sad passing away without recovering consciousness in early February.
Old 6th January 2021, 01:48 PM   #119
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

ANADOLU AGENCY (ENG) tweets

@anadoluagency
#BREAKING Turkey invites all parties in US to use moderation, common sense to overcome this domestic political crisis

Turkey concerned over developments in US, urges calm and lawful solution to problems, says parliament head
Old 6th January 2021, 01:49 PM   #120
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany:

"At President Trump’s direction, the National Guard is on the way along with other federal protective services. We reiterate President Trump’s call against violence and to remain peaceful."

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics