IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Capitol riot , donald trump , protest incidents , Trump controversies , Washington DC incidents

Old 6th January 2021, 11:23 PM   #361
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
The last moments of Ashli Babbitt have been posted to youtube. I won't post a link. You can search. Lots of copies.

Had she not been shot, she would have been the first to get through the broken window of the door of the Members' Lobby.
Speakers Lobby. Don't know what that is, but guessing it is where the Speakers of both houses have offices??

The shooter appears to be below the door level to the left. A security guard?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 11:24 PM   #362
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Nah. She was a part of an unruly mob trying to break in violently. It is entirely understandable that the folks inside feared for their safety.
Yeah, I'd say this was a reasonable use of lethal force, especially if she was given a clear warning before hand, which I hear she was. The cop who shot her was defending himself and any people with him against a mob hell bent on violence. Incidentally he also defended democracy against a radicalized lunatic.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 11:26 PM   #363
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
And I am sure they will get another couple of years TV interviews over it.
Meanwhile, your opinion will remain of interest to no one.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 11:29 PM   #364
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
See the moron in the horned helmet and fur coat in the Capitol building ? I hate that guy for two reasons:He is a treasonous insurrectionist and it's such a terrible, incompetent attempt at a Viking costume.
Some people don't go for authenticity.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 11:30 PM   #365
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Olmstead View Post
What exactly is behind there? I guess she might have tried to enter some place where she really, really, really shouldn't have been, but the killing seems a little trigger happy.
I'm not exactly an expert in Capitol security or layout, but as I recall from my one visit there many years ago, there are certain areas open to the public, and others only to staff and members, and others that are only open to members. She was trying to break into one of the members-only areas. The likely answer to what was behind there is "congressmen".

It appears she was shot in the front, so it is very likely that the people in the area with the Representatives decided that the unruly mob that had illegally entered the Capitol, and had just broken the glass on a door, and was currently climbing over the hastily prepared furniture barricade, constituted a threat to the safety of the Representatives and/or staff that was presently in the Speakers Lobby.

There will undoubtedly be an investigation and people more knowledgeable about the duties of the Capitol police will comment on this situation, but at first glance I'm going to have a hard time faulting the security forces for deciding that deadly force was warranted.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 6th January 2021 at 11:41 PM.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 11:32 PM   #366
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I don't know. Not very many people have been prosecuted for BLM protests whereas the FBI did hunt down and press charges against the Bundy ranch follies IIRC.
Yeah, after years and numerous "follies" by the Bundy crowd. BFD.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 11:40 PM   #367
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Speakers Lobby.
I stand corrected. The footage was a bit blurry and I couldn't read the caption easily.
Old 6th January 2021, 11:53 PM   #368
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Neo fascist media types Nick Fuentes and Baked Alaska both live steamed from Pelosi's office. Presumably this is evidence of participation in criminal evidence and they should be arrested.

https://twitter.com/nathanTbernard/s...794474498?s=19
WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON? The cops and protesters mingling together, What was this, a block party? Where's the beer? The chips and dip? Why aren't the cops kickin' ass and takin' names? Sheesh!
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:12 AM   #369
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
No S---t Sherlock. I think a lot of jobs in the top command postions are going to be vacant.
Pink slips should be accompanied with charges of dereliction of duty.,
Old 7th January 2021, 12:13 AM   #370
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Speakers Lobby. Don't know what that is, but guessing it is where the Speakers of both houses have offices??

The shooter appears to be below the door level to the left. A security guard?
Well, at the risk of being pedantic, only the House of Representatives has a Speaker. The Senate has a President (the Vice President of the United States) and a President Pro Tempore (who presides if the Vice Preseident is abasent).
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:22 AM   #371
SezMe
post-pre-born

The "Majority Leader" is the Senate's equivalent of the Speaker of the House.
Old 7th January 2021, 12:22 AM   #372
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
According to CNN the Capitol Building hasn't been breached since the British did it during the War of 1812.
There was an incident in 1954 where some members of the House of Representatives were shot and wounded by Puerto Rican independence advocates. But they shot from a gallery open to the public.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:33 AM   #373
Olmstead
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Yeah, I'd say this was a reasonable use of lethal force, especially if she was given a clear warning before hand, which I hear she was. The cop who shot her was defending himself and any people with him against a mob hell bent on violence. Incidentally he also defended democracy against a radicalized lunatic.
My problem is that there is a discrepancy between the shooting and the general atmosphere before it. If the idiots were this close to being shot, why aren't the police doing more to force them out of there? They're just standing there chatting as if all this is perfectly reasonable and suddenly the woman is shot. If shooting her was appropriate, then the people in that room should have been on the floor in handcuffs.

In other words, Police, what the ****?
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:37 AM   #374
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Colbert roasts the living **** out of seditionists and their republican enablers.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Hey, Republicans Who Supported This President: Are We Great Again Yet? - LIVE MONOLOGUE

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:38 AM   #375
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
Well, at the risk of being pedantic, only the House of Representatives has a Speaker. The Senate has a President (the Vice President of the United States) and a President Pro Tempore (who presides if the Vice Preseident is abasent).
Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
The "Majority Leader" is the Senate's equivalent of the Speaker of the House.
Well....by circumstance, the "Majority Leader" is the Senate's equivalent of the Speaker of the House most of the time, but not because he is the Majority Leader.

Most technically, the 1 to 1 equivalent to the Speaker of the House is the President of the Senate, who as CORed points out is the Vice President of the United States. In practice and recent tradition, since this individual is usually present only occasionally, the functional equivalent of the Speaker of the House is the President Pro Tempore of the Senate whenever the VP isn't there. Traditionally, the President Pro Tempore of the Senate is usually the Senate majority leader, but it doesn't have to be the majority leader.

Right now, the President Pro Tempore of the Senate is not majority leader Mitch McConnell, it's Republican senator Chuck Grassley.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 12:40 AM   #376
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON? The cops and protesters mingling together, What was this, a block party? Where's the beer? The chips and dip? Why aren't the cops kickin' ass and takin' names? Sheesh!
Yep. Can you imagine if 4000 black people formed a mob and stormed into the Capitol building? I hate these type of racial comparisons. And I can understand that the police maybe wanted to just let these people in and sort it out slow so that it didn't erupt into a massive riot. But...can you really see this happening if those people were black?

I hate that I have to even think about that.
Old 7th January 2021, 12:50 AM   #377
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Yep. Can you imagine if 4000 black people formed a mob and stormed into the Capitol building?
A mob of angry black people wouldn't have made it up the steps before blood was flowing.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 01:03 AM   #378
Mumbles
Philosopher

Yep. Can you imagine if 4000 black people formed a mob and stormed into the Capitol building? I hate these type of racial comparisons. And I can understand that the police maybe wanted to just let these people in and sort it out slow so that it didn't erupt into a massive riot. But...can you really see this happening if those people were black?

I don't.

What these folks need is, frankly, more of these treasoners gunned down. Then maybe they'll think "Oh, wait, this isn't like on Xbox, I don't just respawn at a checkpoint."

Much as I've been laughing with black twitter, black protestors know damn well that just marching down the street means being subject to state violence while these slack jawed goons cheer it on.

Am I sad that that one woman got shot? No, sorry. Sauce for the goose and all that.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 01:14 AM   #379
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Maybe it would be easier to explain what you are talking about and your perceived idea of differences in outcome and or police tactics

2007 https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna16911044
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 01:20 AM   #380
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Maybe it would be easier to explain what you are talking about and your perceived idea of differences in outcome and or police tactics
Are you ******* serious? Have you slept through George Floyd and all the other blacks killed by police for far lesser crimes than an attempted coup?

Do you seriously think that police would have greeted black protesters storming the Capitol with smiles and pats on the back?

Please answer.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 01:47 AM   #381
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Pink slips should be accompanied with charges of dereliction of duty.,
The Capitol Police are not a military organization under the UCMJ;you can be fired for dereliction of duty but not imprisoned.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 01:48 AM   #382
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Are you ******* serious? Have you slept through George Floyd and all the other blacks killed by police for far lesser crimes than an attempted coup?

Do you seriously think that police would have greeted black protesters storming the Capitol with smiles and pats on the back?

Please answer.
Yeah you got me.

I must have slept through the time 4000 black people infiltrating the Capitol Building and the difference in police tactics on billions of TV screens streamed live globally.

Do you mind reminding me of the difference again?

Last edited by cullennz; 7th January 2021 at 01:50 AM.
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 01:50 AM   #383
Matthew Best
Philosopher

The difference:

Matthew Best is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 01:54 AM   #384
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
The difference:

I wonder how annoyed the idiot at the front was when he realised one of his horns must have fallen off.

Edit: Could swear the dude behind him is trying to be a skinny Dalek and the dude behind him is wearing one of those weirdo animal onseys

Last edited by cullennz; 7th January 2021 at 01:56 AM.
Old 7th January 2021, 01:56 AM   #385
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Yeah you got me.

I must have slept through the time 4000 black people infiltrating the Capitol Building and the difference in police tactics on billions of TV screens streamed live globally.

Do you mind reminding me of the difference again?
Unbelievable.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 02:02 AM   #386
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

So are there any other participants in this thread who think the race of the invaders of the Capitol played a part in the initial police reaction? That it would make no difference whether the invaders were (mainly) white or black?

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 7th January 2021, 02:03 AM   #387
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Unbelievable.
I was answering this.

Do you mind clarifying what DA means (obviously you are not speaking for him)

And how you think it would work differently on global networks?

Thanks

Old 7th January 2021, 02:07 AM   #388
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

So are there any other participants in this thread who think the race of the invaders of the Capitol played a part in the initial police reaction? That it would make no difference whether the invaders were (mainly) white or black?
Genuinely?

I personally think their security was atrocious and lax.

Probably because of all the boarding up and over the top stuff on election day proved kind of pointless.

This in the grand scheme of things was a formality.

The orange idiot wound people up enough to create this mess.

Why his Twitter account was still valid is beyond me, but guess cash from clicks

Last edited by cullennz; 7th January 2021 at 02:08 AM.
Old 7th January 2021, 02:09 AM   #389
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I was answering this.

Do you mind clarifying what DA means (obviously you are not speaking for him)

And how you think it would work differently on global networks?

Thanks
Still unbelievable.

He means that black invaders would have been treated far more harshly than whites. There are centuries of experience which support this belief, and that experience has been turbocharged in the past year. How can you possibly dispute this?

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 7th January 2021 at 02:11 AM.
Old 7th January 2021, 02:10 AM   #390
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Genuinely?

I personally think their security was atrocious and lax.

Probably because of all the boarding up and over the top stuff on election day proved kind of pointless.

This in the grand scheme of things was a formality.

The orange idiot wound people up enough to create this mess.

Why his Twitter account was still valid is beyond me, but guess cash from clicks
Why can’t you answer the ******* question? Do you think the race of the invaders effected the police response?

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 7th January 2021, 02:14 AM   #391
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Why can’t you answer the ******* question? Do you think the race of the invaders effected the police response?
No idea, as we have no comparison.

This is supposed to be a Skeptics Forum.

Are you saying there were no black people in amongst the idiots?

Plenty voted Trump

Old 7th January 2021, 02:14 AM   #392
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
A mob of angry black people wouldn't have made it up the steps before blood was flowing.
We were talking about that very subject today and the wide agreement was that if it had been blacks instead of boofheads there would have been a major bloodbath.

As it is, there are four fewer Trump voters now, so there's a positive.
Old 7th January 2021, 02:15 AM   #393
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Still unbelievable.

He means that black invaders would have been treated far more harshly than whites. There are centuries of experience which support this belief, and that experience has been turbocharged in the past year. How can you possibly dispute this?
I agree. BLM wouldn't have pulled a stunt like this, but if they had, IMO:
  • The Capitol Police wouldn't have been taking selfies with them beforehand
  • Federal Law enforcement would have been in site in numbers
  • They wouldn't have been allowed access to the building
  • They wouldn't have been given a gentle helping hand down the steps afterwards
  • The death toll would have been in the hundreds
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 02:17 AM   #394
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
We were talking about that very subject today and the wide agreement was that if it had been blacks instead of boofheads there would have been a major bloodbath.

And more of these same "freedom luvin" Trumpers calling for law enforcement to shoot them from the rooftops as they even approach the steps.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 02:17 AM   #395
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

No idea, as we have no comparison.

This is supposed to be a Skeptics Forum.

Are you saying there were no black people in amongst the idiots?

Plenty voted Trump
You have been shown comparisons between how BLM protesters were treated by police and how these invaders were.

Your denial of this is very telling.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 7th January 2021, 02:19 AM   #396
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

You have been shown comparisons between how BLM protesters were treated by police and how these invaders were.

Your denial of this is very telling.
I thought people were saying this was historically earth shatteringly unheard of.

Old 7th January 2021, 02:22 AM   #397
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I think you know that is bollocks Atheist.

They wouldn't have wiped out 4000 people on global TV no matter who they were.

They tend tend to do their racist "kill for thrill if they are black" if they get to "accidently" turn the cameras off, and there isn't many around

Last edited by cullennz; 7th January 2021 at 02:23 AM.
Old 7th January 2021, 02:26 AM   #398
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

I think you know that is bollocks Atheist.
No, I'm certain there would have been considerably more bloodshed.

They wouldn't have wiped out 4000 people on global TV no matter who they were.
What does the number 4000 have to do with anything?

Very good piece here on the complete balls-up by security/police, if it hasn't already been posted, and I agree there are some heads that should roll - utterly hopeless response by the pigs. It wasn't exactly a surprise attack.
Old 7th January 2021, 02:32 AM   #399
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I agree. BLM wouldn't have pulled a stunt like this, but if they had, IMO:
  • The Capitol Police wouldn't have been taking selfies with them beforehand
  • Federal Law enforcement would have been in site in numbers
  • They wouldn't have been allowed access to the building
  • They wouldn't have been given a gentle helping hand down the steps afterwards
  • The death toll would have been in the hundreds
Nah. They'd have been arrested or shot before they even got there.

Again, *two* tweets about a "purge", neither linked to any actual person, were enough for Baltimore PD to attack high school kids trying to get home from school, set off a riot, and "confiscate" prescription pills to sell on the black market thanks to the Gun Trace Task Force. These guys planned this out publicly for week, put their names all over it, and aside from one gang leader were allowed into Capitol Hill.

Again, a good bloodbath or two would likely teach them a lesson.

If they said "Hey, let's march nonviolently, here's the route, we've got a stage set up for speeches," I'd nod and say that it's their right. But this was planned and organized violence, instigated by actual thugs like Toupee Fiasco, Ted Cruz, and Hawley. Toss these guys out, disbar Dolt 45's lawyers, charge all of them with the sedition laws they themselves insisted on.

Last edited by Mumbles; 7th January 2021 at 02:35 AM.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2021, 02:36 AM   #400
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

No, I'm certain there would have been considerably more bloodshed.

What does the number 4000 have to do with anything?

Very good piece here on the complete balls-up by security/police, if it hasn't already been posted, and I agree there are some heads that should roll - utterly hopeless response by the pigs. It wasn't exactly a surprise attack.
Totally agree.

But the hypotheticals for imaginary comparisons to imaginary situations is a bit silly

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events