IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Capitol riot , donald trump , protest incidents , Trump controversies , Washington DC incidents

Old 6th January 2021, 03:22 PM   #81
TJM
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Well I'd say this kinda beats looting walmarts and knocking statues over.

Very little outrage from the right. Where are they?

Laughing my ass off as Trump's brown shirts are rounded up, one by one.
TJM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:23 PM   #82
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

There are plenty of security cameras in the Capittol.Lots of faces of protestors on the tapes. Lots of arrest will be made.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:24 PM   #83
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

I was at a protest in Boston where the local police deployed tear gas after a couple shop windows downtown got smashed.

Meanwhile fascists can storm the capitol without much resistance. Glad the police have their priorities in order.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:24 PM   #84
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post

In and around the Capitol building, of course.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:25 PM   #85
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

ABC had a photo of a rioter with his feet up on Nancy Pelosi's desk.

Face was visible. I would hope it would be coming to a mug shot in the near future.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:25 PM   #86
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by ToddH View Post
I bet an impeachment would pass both houses now.
Arguably, an impeachment would keep him from pardoning the rioters. Of course the actual impeachment wouldn't finish before his term ended, but there are (vaguely-defined) imitations to the president's ability to issue pardons associated with his own impeachment, so if there's an impeachment in-progress, a presidential pardon of the rioters might not stand.

I consider an impeachment extremely unlikely. I expect Congress' outrage will be limited to a vote of censure, which won't actually pass. But a number of Republicans will express serious concern before voting against it.

Last edited by dasmiller; 6th January 2021 at 03:27 PM.
dasmiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:26 PM   #87
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post

Using whataboutism and claiming this was done by Antifa.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:28 PM   #88
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Seems like an good time to say that antifascists were right. They weren't hysterical, they were 100% measured in their claims about the danger of the rising fascist tide in this country. They were right all along, and every centrist fence sitter should soak this coup in and reassess their entire paradigm.

Cops won't do their duty to stop these people unless they are forced to, against their will, by the public. Even then it's iffy whether the police in this country are going to act against their ideological allies.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:28 PM   #89
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dann View Post
They were obviously too few to keep people out, but they were also spread out across the whole perimeter.
But why were there so few police?

Washington DC is not unfamiliar with large protests. Where are the police lined up in riot gear? National guard standing on the step? Why were there not more forces at the ready?

Why did weren't there dozens of police cars at the scene? Helicopters flying down to disperse the rioters as they have done before?

Is this the best that can be done to protect the Capitol by the Capitol police, metro police, Secret Service, FBI, Department of Homeland Security, and National Guard?
Old 6th January 2021, 03:30 PM   #90
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post

Washington DC is not unfamiliar with large protests. Where are the police lined up in riot gear? National guard standing on the step? Why were there not more forces at the ready?

Why did weren't there dozens of police cars at the scene? Helicopters flying down to disperse the rioters as they have done before?

Is this the best that can be done to protect the Capitol by the Capitol police, metro police, Secret Service, FBI, Department of Homeland Security, and National Guard?
Cops and klan, hand in hand.

Cops don't want to stop fascists. It's no more complicated than that.

If they are ordered from the top, after sufficient outrage from the public, they'll take action against these people. We're seeing that now.

But they'll never be proactive against right wing extremists, because the police are sympathetic to their ideology.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:30 PM   #91
eerok
Quixoticist

Am I wrong in thinking that Antifa didn't come to this abomination?
Old 6th January 2021, 03:31 PM   #92
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Using whataboutism and claiming this was done by Antifa.
I saw some twat being interviewed on Sky News who explained that the cause of all this was mailed ballots, the electoral system had to be reformed to forbid any voting except on the day of the election, and the real danger is that the left, who are responsible for all the recent violence, will riot on the day of the inauguration. At the end of the interview the host amusingly misspoke, saying "Thank you" instead of "**** off you treacherous piece of ****."

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:31 PM   #93
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

CNN: A woman is in critical condition after being shot in the chest on the Capitol grounds, according to two sources familiar with the matter. The sources could not provide further details on the circumstances of the shooting.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:32 PM   #94
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:32 PM   #95
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Picture of a fascist with handgun and zip-tie restraints in the capitol building. Equipped to take prisoners.

https://twitter.com/Rebexem/status/1346924689101213696
Old 6th January 2021, 03:32 PM   #96
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post

I would guess it was down to sabotage by Trump or his cronies. In other words, they left them deliberately unprepared.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:32 PM   #97
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Seems like an good time to say that antifascists were right. They weren't hysterical, they were 100% measured in their claims about the danger of the rising fascist tide in this country. They were right all along, and every centrist fence sitter should soak this coup in and reassess their entire paradigm.

Cops won't do their duty to stop these people unless they are forced to, against their will, by the public. Even then it's iffy whether the police in this country are going to act against their ideological allies.
Oh you're just mad the Right had the idea first and not the Progressives.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:33 PM   #98
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
Arguably, an impeachment would keep him from pardoning the rioters. Of course the actual impeachment wouldn't finish before his term ended, but there are (vaguely-defined) imitations to the president's ability to issue pardons associated with his own impeachment, so if there's an impeachment in-progress, a presidential pardon of the rioters might not stand.

I consider an impeachment extremely unlikely. I expect Congress' outrage will be limited to a vote of censure, which won't actually pass. But a number of Republicans will express serious concern before voting against it.
It's extremely unlikely, but articles of impeachment will be drafted. Ilhan Omar has announced as such. I did a google news search on the term and got several hits on today's news.

And, it doesn't have to take weeks or months. It could be done in an afternoon. All it would take would be a vote in the Senate on changing the rules of impeachment. Of course, that would only happen if there was a consensus that he needs to go, and a 2/3 vote was already lined up.

ETA: I also searched "amendment", and the 25th is coming up.

It won't really happen, but it should. He's dangerous.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 6th January 2021 at 03:36 PM.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:33 PM   #99
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Any bets on how long it will be before our fearless leader pardons all the rioters?

(Of course not. It can't happen here!)

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:34 PM   #100
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

It seems to me this belongs in US Politics not Social Issues and Current Events. Why were we asked to discuss it here instead?
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:34 PM   #101
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Oh you're just mad the Right had the idea first and not the Progressives.
I'm not sure what you mean.

Even if lefty types had the idea to storm the capitol, there's no way they would have reached the door so easily. Cops would have put up much more of a fight for this to happen for lefties. Probably be live fire and bloodshed.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:35 PM   #102
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
It’s no longer a riot. It’s a seditious occupation of a government building.
It’s treason.
An attack on the Capitol Building is an act of war against the United States.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:37 PM   #103
Checkmite

Cops and klan, hand in hand.
Literally, in some cases
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:37 PM   #104
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Word now that the police reinforcements were organised by Pence, not Trump. And that Pence has unfollowed Trump on Twitter and put up a Biden/Harris image instead. Looks like Wimpy Mike is taking control, and Disaster Don is being sidelined.

Also reports Trump's staff are starting to resign en mass (each followed by the expected nasty snarky tweets from the Orange Menace).
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:37 PM   #105
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
You live up to your family name!
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:38 PM   #106
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
If Trump was jailed, he could produce his own version of Mein Kampf.
I do not believe Tony Schwartz is available this time.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:38 PM   #107
Modified
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
There are plenty of security cameras in the Capittol.Lots of faces of protestors on the tapes. Lots of arrest will be made.

Better to wait a few weeks, so Trump can't pardon them.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:39 PM   #108
Checkmite

Word now that the police reinforcements were organised by Pence, not Trump. And that Pence has unfollowed Trump on Twitter and put up a Biden/Harris image instead. Looks like Wimpy Mike is taking control, and Disaster Don is being sidelined.

Also reports Trump's staff are starting to resign en mass (each followed by the expected nasty snarky tweets from the Orange Menace).
This would've been funny several months ago, but I'm afraid the humor doesn't really work tonight.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:39 PM   #109
grunion
Philosopher

I can't help but think that a good number of the protesters/rioters were off duty cops. Little by little they are being called to duty and taking off their MAGA hats and putting on their Riot Helmets for a shift until they switch back.
“Of all the offspring of Time, Error is the most ancient, and is so old and familiar an acquaintance, that Truth, when discovered, comes upon most of us like an intruder, and meets the intruder's welcome.”
― Charles Mackay, 1841 - Extraordinary Popular Delusions And The Madness Of Crowds
grunion is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:40 PM   #110
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Unverified report that one person that was shot by police has died.

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/s...50621639946245
Old 6th January 2021, 03:40 PM   #111
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
CNN: A woman is in critical condition after being shot in the chest on the Capitol grounds, according to two sources familiar with the matter. The sources could not provide further details on the circumstances of the shooting.
She is now reported dead.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:40 PM   #112
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

The woman who was shot has died.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:41 PM   #113
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
It seems to me this belongs in US Politics not Social Issues and Current Events. Why were we asked to discuss it here instead?
because it's a current event.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:42 PM   #114
Athyrio
Hipster Doofus

Does anyone know if the curfew will be city wide, including stores or places to get food because I’d like to know that these invaders who trucked or flew in won’t even be able to get a cup of coffee tonight.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:43 PM   #115
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Thoughts and prayers that the fatality was a CHUD.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:43 PM   #116
TJM
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Laughing my ass off as Trump's brown shirts are rounded up, one by one.
TJM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:44 PM   #117
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Unverified report that one person that was shot by police has died.

https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/s...50621639946245
CNN says that some cops are injured with one at the hospital.
Old 6th January 2021, 03:44 PM   #118
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

president trump must be removed, under the 25th amendment, by Vice President Pence and the Cabinet.

NOW.
newyorkguy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:47 PM   #119
Dani
Master Poster

Wow.

Congrats to Trump. Now the country matches his mind.

I really hope this gets sorted out. Republicans need to step up.
Dani is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 03:47 PM   #120
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
Better to wait a few weeks, so Trump can't pardon them.
Actually, he can. The pardon power is very broad; he could issue a pardon for "all activities by protesters around the capitol building on Jan 6, 2021." The pardon can precede the actual charges.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events