IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Capitol riot , donald trump , protest incidents , Trump controversies , Washington DC incidents

Old 6th January 2021, 07:15 PM   #281
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
Most of the millions of mostly sane are too sane to trek thousands of miles to get close, and the military is spread over the world. Also, did any of those prevent the Congressional session from fleeing for their lives? Millions of Americans were perfectly sane but Giffords and nine people were gunned down by a *single* crazyperson. One, or a few, can do what one third of British colonists were able to do to British governors. Numbers mean nothing, numbers protect no one.

2007 https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna16911044
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 07:16 PM   #282
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Four years ago you would've said this to anyone wondering about even the possibility of what has, in fact, taken place today in Washington DC, at the President's direction.
Just quoting for emphasis.
Old 6th January 2021, 07:16 PM   #283
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Hand gun? That's a cop.
A cop?

With a smartphone for a body camera?

Wearing a hat with US Flag overlaid with a black Assault Rifle emblem?

Wearing a vest with a US Flag overlaid with a while skull?

Yeah, right! If that's a cop, my grandmother is a chuckwagon!
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 6th January 2021 at 07:21 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 07:18 PM   #284
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cosmicaug View Post
Can you make out what the blue thing underneath is?
Maybe a "thin blue line" patch in the shape of a state?
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=state+thin...ages&ia=images
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 07:18 PM   #285
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
A cop?

With a smartphone for a body ca

Wearing a hat with US Flag overlaid with a black Assault Rifle emblem

Wearing a vest with a US Flag overlaid with a while skull

Yeah, right! If that's a cop, my grandmother is a chuckwagon!
TBF, not sure about the hat badge, but if you look at the chest one in the blown up version posted earlier, the skull does look pretty photoshopped.

cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 07:19 PM   #286
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Hand gun? That's a cop.
A cop? Are you serious?

If cops are dressing like that, then no wonder they are much more heavy-handed on BLM protests than they are on Trumpian coup attempts.

Is that red iPhone filming stuff the usual way of doing things instead of shoulder-cams?

Weird badges with skulls and machines guns over the US flags.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 07:19 PM   #287
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Its sometimes hard to tell because cops often deck themselves out in fash paraphernalia on their duty uniform, but this is obviously not a cop
Old 6th January 2021, 07:21 PM   #288
angrysoba
Philosophile

Larger and wider image with protesters behind.

What is this "cop" supposedly doing?

https://twitter.com/CharCubed/status...314752/photo/1
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 07:24 PM   #289
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
The US has 329 odd million of mostly sane people and a military of nearly 1.5 million.

I think they will probably figure out how to sort it out

Seventy four million of them voted to reelect Trump.

Most of those have continued to support him in spite of his antics since the election.

Is that "mostly sane"?

If you think so then we do not share a common definition of sanity.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 07:26 PM   #290
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post

Well that's what happens when both the Police and the Rioters are playing COD dress up.

I'd wager the number of "Oh I would have joined the military, but I would have knocked out my drill Seargent's teeth when he got up in my face" types in both crowds would poll well above the national average.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 07:28 PM   #291
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Maybe a "thin blue line" patch in the shape of a state?
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=state+thin...ages&ia=images
Oh, that makes way more sense! It looks too irregular to be the 5 year badge you found before. I thought it could be if it was misshapen due to imperfections or a bad photograph but it really does not look plausible.

I think Tennessee with a blue line is extremely plausible. In fact, I am pretty positive that that's it.
Old 6th January 2021, 07:28 PM   #292
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Fascists just had themselves a glorious victory tonight. Imagine this will only make their dangerous ideology all the more appealing.
Old 6th January 2021, 07:29 PM   #293
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post

Protecting the expensive sunglasses in his right front pocket?

(apologies. Bad joke, timing wise)

Old 6th January 2021, 07:31 PM   #294
JesseCuster
Graduate Poster

Oh, that makes way more sense! It looks too irregular to be the 5 year badge you found before. I thought it could be if it was misshapen due to imperfections or a bad photograph but it really does not look plausible.

I think Tennessee with a blue line is extremely plausible. In fact, I am pretty positive that that's it.
I think you're right, it looks just like the image you just posted, so not a "5 years service" police badge.
JesseCuster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 07:33 PM   #295
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Neo fascist media types Nick Fuentes and Baked Alaska both live steamed from Pelosi's office. Presumably this is evidence of participation in criminal evidence and they should be arrested.

https://twitter.com/nathanTbernard/s...794474498?s=19

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 6th January 2021 at 07:35 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 07:37 PM   #296
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

I really hope what the Trump idiots did today backfires on them. Congress is back in session now, and it looks like many of those Rs who said they were going to speak in favour of the objections have no decided not to do so.

I saw some sort of congress person being interveiwed saying he thought Congress could be about to approve the Electoral College Votes by unanimous consent.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 6th January 2021 at 07:39 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 07:39 PM   #297
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Dude there's already been like 3 objections since they got back and restarted.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 07:39 PM   #298
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
I think you're right, it looks just like the image you just posted, so not a "5 years service" police badge.
So using badges typically associated with MAGA types & not usually with cops (though overlaps exist), having no other badges or features normally associated with actual police (from what we have seen cops at this incident either clearly look like cops or are plain clothes cops) and the photo is from Getty Images captioned to identify "protesters" rather than noting the presence of a police officer.

I say there's an extremely low likelihood of that being a cop.
Old 6th January 2021, 07:40 PM   #299
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Guy showing off mail he stole off Pelosi's desk during the fash riot. Not even trying to conceal his identity or criminal acts

https://twitter.com/AllMattNYT/statu...421578754?s=19
Old 6th January 2021, 07:41 PM   #300
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I also just saw a report on Reuters that some time about an hour ago cabinet members were meeting to discuss whether to invoke the 25th amendment. Probably won't fly, but it sounds like an interesting development.

I do hope the folks in charge don't just buckle and tell the rioters to go home and forget it. Their actions fit quite literally the wording of the law against sedition.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 07:41 PM   #301
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

So using badges typically associated with MAGA types & not usually with cops (though overlaps exist), having no other badges or features normally associated with actual police (from what we have seen cops at this incident either clearly look like cops or are plain clothes cops) and the photo is from Getty Images captioned to identify "protesters" rather than noting the presence of a police officer.

I say there's an extremely low likelihood of that being a cop.
Also: not fat. When was the last time you saw a cop that wasn't fat?
Old 6th January 2021, 07:41 PM   #302
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
IANAL, but I'm pretty sure a guy being interviewed on CNN as a witness to the the fatal shooting in the Capitol just confessed to felony murder.
The lawyer that he doesn't have just spun in the grave that he is not yet in.
Old 6th January 2021, 07:45 PM   #303
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
So, what are we gonna call today?
There’s the Day That will Live in Infamy.
We just call it, “September 11th.”
Are we just gonna call this “January 6th?”

I would prefer something clever, and of course, a slight against Trump.
Well, it is Epiphany. (and I knew that before Speaker Pelosi mentioned it.)

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Sabotaging democracy?

(see what I did there?)
(see: Things I learned from Star Trek VI)

Last edited by alfaniner; 6th January 2021 at 07:46 PM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 07:46 PM   #304
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

West Virginia Lawmaker Among Rioters in Capitol

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) — A West Virginia lawmaker took video of himself and other supporters of President Donald Trump rushing into the U.S. Capitol after they breached the security perimeter.

In the video by Republican Del. Derrick Evans, later deleted from his social media page, he is shown wearing a helmet and clamoring at the door to breach the building in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday.

“We’re in! Keep it moving, baby!” he said in a packed doorway amid Trump followers holding flags and complaining of being pepper sprayed. Once inside, Evans could be seen on video milling around the Capitol Rotunda, where historical paintings depict the republic’s founding, and yelled, “No vandalizing!”
https://www.snopes.com/ap/2021/01/06...DYXIyqpfKFdrbU
Old 6th January 2021, 07:51 PM   #305
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Lady that got shot dead had Q anon postings on social media.

I guess she thought the storm was happening right up until a cop plugged her in the neck. Another body on Q's tab.
And just like the nut who shot up the pizza joint years ago, the Q cult she served so devotedly has declared her a phony antifa infiltrator in league with Trump's enemies.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 07:55 PM   #306
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Dude there's already been like 3 objections since they got back and restarted.
No. Those are the 5 minute "debates" for Arizona still.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 07:57 PM   #307
Checkmite

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
I also just saw a report on Reuters that some time about an hour ago cabinet members were meeting to discuss whether to invoke the 25th amendment. Probably won't fly, but it sounds like an interesting development.
Frankly the fact that it's been over an hour since the initial report suggests to me that nothing has come of it.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 07:58 PM   #308
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Well, it is Epiphany. (and I knew that before Speaker Pelosi mentioned it.)
The Epiphany that will live in infamy?
Old 6th January 2021, 08:07 PM   #309
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by JesseCuster View Post
A patch on his chest with an American flag with a skull superimposed on it.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ErE83FIX...jpg&name=large

What branch of US Law Enforcement wears that badge?
I can see those now. As for which branch of LE, you'd be surprised. Once in a pretty big protest march in Seattle there were 'cops' with absolutely no badges or insignia and when I asked one of them which agency he was from, he refused to answer. And he was with the Seattle cops, it wasn't a random guy wearing all black.

OTOH, there are a couple reports armed protestors might have gotten into the building. And I found another image of the guy here. Unfortunately there isn't more about who he is.

Guess we'll find out because if that was a planned kidnapping like they were planning in Michigan, there should be a big story about that coming out in the next few days.
Old 6th January 2021, 08:12 PM   #310
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

The Epiphany that will live in infamy?
"Epiphamy"
Old 6th January 2021, 08:30 PM   #311
Checkmite

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Shall we predict what's next? Will Trump go on television and ask his followers to burn down the capitol buildings of every state that didn't vote for him? Will he try to deploy the military to invade Democratic strongholds? Will he accuse Biden, Pelosi, Pence, and McConnell of being terrorists and have them special renditioned? What enormity does anyone imagine is beyond him? What's the next "oh, he couldn't possibly do that, that's crazy" that then proceeds to occur?
These are legitimate questions. Quite honestly, people who have been regularly pulling the "TDS", "that's just hysterical fear-mongering, there's no way Trump would X" card have been steadily losing credibility for the last four years. As of today, they've lost the last of it.
Old 6th January 2021, 08:36 PM   #312
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Tucker Carlson saying on Fox that government is going to "use" what happened today as a way to "strip" people of their rights. All your freedoms "are in peril,"

Brit Hume says "Do not be surprised if we learn in the days ahead that the Trump rioters were infiltrated by leftist extremists"

What are Fox doing?

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 6th January 2021 at 08:38 PM.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 08:40 PM   #313
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
I doubt the US is going to fall apart over a few more riots.

In a few weeks Trump will get turfed out on his **** and it will be just a highlight in history classes to talk about.
No big deal at all. I mean, the Capitol building is invaded every other week with people dying and attempted coups in the US are a dime a dozen. Just toughen up US.....

This is one of the most ridiculous posts I’ve read in ages.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 08:45 PM   #314
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Tucker Carlson saying on Fox that government is going to "use" what happened today as a way to "strip" people of their rights. All your freedoms "are in peril,"

Brit Hume says "Do not be surprised if we learn in the days ahead that the Trump rioters were infiltrated by leftist extremists"

What are Fox doing?
Cupping Trump's balls?

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 08:46 PM   #315
gregthehammer
Muse

What are Fox doing?
Adding fuel to the fire (?)
gregthehammer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 08:47 PM   #316
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Matt Gaetz just said, "some of the people who breached the Capitol today were not Trump supporters, they were masquerading as Trump supporters and in fact were members of the violent terrorist group antifa."
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 08:49 PM   #317
AJM8125
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

What are Fox doing?
Hume and Carlson auditioning for the "news" channel Trump will inflict on us once he's dragged by his underwear from the Whitehouse.

Only a fool fights in a burning house.
AJM8125 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th January 2021, 08:51 PM   #318
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Laura Ingraham on Fox, "The Washington Times is reporting that at least two antifa were spotted in the crowd" -
Old 6th January 2021, 08:53 PM   #319
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Dead woman identified as Ashli Babbitt of San Diego. Fourteen year veteran of the US Air Force and staunch Trump supporter.
Old 6th January 2021, 08:54 PM   #320
gregthehammer
Muse

Laura Ingraham on Fox, "The Washington Times is reporting that at least two antifa were spotted in the crowd" -
How the, ? How the **** can you "spot an antifa" masquerading as a trump supporter in the crowd?
gregthehammer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events