IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Kansas incidents , Kansas politics , Mark Samsel

Old 1st May 2021, 02:48 PM   #1
Random
Illuminator

Kansas State Rep arrested for...

Kansas state Rep. Mark Samsel was arrested on charges of misdemeanor battery on Thursday after getting into a physical altercation with a student while substitute teaching in Wellsville...

It gets weirder. You just have to read it...
Old 1st May 2021, 03:03 PM   #2
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'd like to read it, but they're blocking my adblocker!
Old 1st May 2021, 03:08 PM   #3
Random
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Some highlights:

Quote:
Kansas state Rep. Mark Samsel was arrested on charges of misdemeanor battery on Thursday after getting into a physical altercation with a student while substitute teaching in Wellsville...

On Wednesday, Samsel, R-Wellsville, was substitute teaching at the Wellsville school district’s secondary school. Throughout the day, high school students began recording videos of the lawmaker talking about suicide, sex, masturbation, God and the Bible...

In another video, Samsel is recorded telling students, “make babies. Who likes making babies? That feels good, doesn’t it? Procreate. ... You haven’t masturbated? Don’t answer that question....God already knows.”...
Kinda hate to post clickbait at all, but really, it gets worse. I am sure that there will be other news articles about it though...
Old 1st May 2021, 03:30 PM   #4
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Originally Posted by Random View Post
It's like each paragraph is trying to outweird the previous one. The guy is an absolute freaking weirdo.

Last edited by shemp; 1st May 2021 at 03:39 PM.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2021, 03:54 PM   #5
catsmate
No longer the 1

You need Anti-Adblock Killer or similar.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2021, 03:55 PM   #6
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
It's like each paragraph is trying to outweird the previous one. The guy is an absolute freaking weirdo.
One guess as to his party affiliation....
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2021, 05:08 PM   #7
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
One guess as to his party affiliation....
Another Republican who thinks that the Constitution's rules doesn't apply to them?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2021, 05:30 PM   #8
Random
Illuminator

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Another Republican who thinks that the Constitution's rules doesn't apply to them?
Quote:
In a Snapchat post shared with The Star, Samsel wrote that “it was all planned.”

“Every little bit of it. That’s right. The kids and I planned ALL this to SEND A MESSAGE about art, mental health, teenage suicide, how we treat our educators and one another. To who? Parents. And grandparents. And all of Wellsville,” he posted.
I think we are a bit beyond the "Republican who thinks that the Constitution's rules doesn't apply to them" level...
Old 1st May 2021, 05:43 PM   #9
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I didn't have any trouble with mine.

But here's the open MSN copy: Kansas lawmaker charged with battery after physical altercation with student
Quote:
Parents told the Star that Samsel “put hands on the student” and kneed him in the crotch. In a video apparently taken immediately after the incident, the student is shown laying on the ground. Samsel is standing over him and says, “Did it hurt?”

He then asks him why he is about to start crying and says he can “go to the nurse, she can check it for you.”

The videos angered dozens of parents, who felt that their children were put in danger. ...

Yes, let's not criminalize battery/rape within the marriage.
Quote:
Samsel, an attorney, is in his second term in the House, where he has occasionally courted controversy. In February, he was one of just 13 lawmakers to vote against a bill that would have ended an exemption for spouses from the state’s sexual battery law.

Ahead of the vote, he gave a speech in which he appeared to express concerns about criminalizing sexual relations between spouses.
That's the way a lot of police used to treat domestic violence.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 1st May 2021 at 05:45 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2021, 05:52 PM   #10
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

OMG, Cancel Culture
OMG, Religious persecution
OMG, Witch Hunt!!

Now that we have the Republican talking points out of the way, discussion can carry on.

Thank You

smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2021, 07:25 PM   #11
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

When it comes to today's Republicans, a picture is worth a thousand words:

Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2021, 07:56 PM   #12
Modified
Philosopher

"I went to jail for battery. Does that really make me a criminal?"

Is this a trick question?
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2021, 08:00 PM   #13
mgidm86
Philosopher

Quote:
“I went to jail for battery. Does that really make me a criminal? Time will tell.”

Dude....that article is.....dude wtf? Really? These crazy asses have been here all along and we're just NOW seeing how prevalent this is? I can't believe this isn't a nightmare. I need a shrink. Seriously, this stuff depresses me in the true sense of the word. I am having issues dealing with this.

I guess there's one thing I can thank Trump for: showing us how truly dumb, sick and twisted many people in this country are. But I liked it better when they were quiet. I think?

I am seriously thinking of moving out of the country. Have been for awhile. This kind of stuff shows me how deeply entrenched in the system these people are. It IS better elsewhere right?

I see no end in sight to this madness. I think it can only get much worse. No way I'm gonna be here during another Republican regime. **** this.

Last edited by mgidm86; 1st May 2021 at 08:01 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2021, 10:59 PM   #14
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Dude....that article is.....dude wtf? Really? These crazy asses have been here all along and we're just NOW seeing how prevalent this is? I can't believe this isn't a nightmare. I need a shrink. Seriously, this stuff depresses me in the true sense of the word. I am having issues dealing with this.

I guess there's one thing I can thank Trump for: showing us how truly dumb, sick and twisted many people in this country are. But I liked it better when they were quiet. I think?

I am seriously thinking of moving out of the country. Have been for awhile. This kind of stuff shows me how deeply entrenched in the system these people are. It IS better elsewhere right?

I see no end in sight to this madness. I think it can only get much worse. No way I'm gonna be here during another Republican regime. **** this.
I feel ya. If you weren't a pessimist before Trump...........
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2021, 11:37 PM   #15
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The fake media has taken everything completely out of context. Sure he kneed one kid in the crotch and triggered some snowflakes with his testifying - but what about the millions of kids he didn't knee in the crotch ? You don't hear about them do you ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2021, 12:16 AM   #16
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Such people have existed all around the world since forever. Invariably, someone knows what he is like. The only issue here is how he was ever allowed to be a "qualified" teacher and be child-adjacent.

Also, he's taking his clues from Brett Kavanaugh and Ted Cruz.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2021, 01:46 AM   #17
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Such people have existed all around the world since forever. Invariably, someone knows what he is like. The only issue here is how he was ever allowed to be a "qualified" teacher and be child-adjacent.

Also, he's taking his clues from Brett Kavanaugh and Ted Cruz.

He isn't a qualified teacher. He has no teaching credential or training at all. From Ballotpedia:

Quote:
Mark Samsel was born in Wellsville, Kansas, which is where he lived as of February 2020. He graduated from Wellsville High School. Samsel earned a degree in political science, public administration, and business administration from Missouri Valley College and earned a law degree from the University of Kansas Law School in 2010. Samsel's career experience includes working as an attorney with Lathrop & Gage. He volunteered with the Kansas City Sports Commission & Foundation.
He is also a raving religious freak from his FB page.

Quote:
Rep. Mark Samsel, Kansas House District 5
April 25 at 5:30 AM
·
SHAME ON YOU so-called Kansas Family Policy Alliance. I WARNED YOU two weeks ago. You know, after I listened. I BEGGED YOU to do the right thing. YOU KNOW, what's best for, UH, Kansas families, including girls, boys, and those lost souls struggling with such a seemingly simple question. But who am I judge?
I THOUGHT that YOUR organization proclaimed that ONLY GOD can do that. Yet. Here. We. Are.
Deceit. Lies. Trickery. Animosity. Hatred. The list goes on. THE DEVIL? Sure sounds like it?
Yet here we are with this "SPECIAL" Interest using the Lord's name and His people to do the Devil's bidding. On a Sunday, no less. Two-faced, much?
If YOU want the war that you have brought against the SIX HOUSE REPUBLICANS who actually STOOD LIKE A LION to do the RIGHT THING, you got it. I fear God. Nothing else. Including your deeply misguided or at least poorly managed and executed organization. I AM NOT A SHEEP. I AM NOT YOUR FLOCK. You can keep your endorsement where the Lord split ya. I DO NOT WANT YOUR SILLY ENDORSEMENT.
Nor am I as lazy as your average member. You keep tending to your flock of sheep and ignoring me. We'll see how GOD'S PLAN plays out.
It is Sunday, after all. Thank God. You ain't going to ruin my so-called day of rest OR change the vote of House District 5. The good people of this District elected a God-fearing, loving, praying man who is a Jesus freak. Full of flaws, which is obvious. But I rest my case for now. Plus it's time for church.
I would invite you to join me in person. Or online. But.... Oh never mind. Everyone is invited.
But if YOU ask me about the piece-of-......paper about you-know-what, there's a GOOD chance I'm going to blow a gasket. AGAIN. Because this is MY. DAY. OF. REST. Please respect MY personal space as I do yours. I don't show up at YOUR personal events or funerals and COME AT YOU. I have a phone number and office hours. Please respect them. We all need a break.
Especially if YOU. ARE. NOT. LISTENING.
Welcome to the life of a public servant in 2021. It's glorious. Wait, no it's not. It sucks. And YOU are part of the reason it sucks. YOU are part of the problem, not me. This isn't about me. And y'all wonder why Topeka sucks? And DC is worse? Keep doing what YOU are doing. As Benjamin Franklin and his turkey warned, it's how WE LOSE OUR REPUBLIC.
I'm spending my day to learn more about how Jesus would see the world in 2021 and tailor my actions to the best of my ability to put His vision into ACTION. That's it. Do I care what YOU or anyone else thinks or says about that? In the comments below or otherwise? If you can't figure out the honest answer, I'm not wasting much more of my breath on YOU. Only Jesus can save.
God loves us. God bless us. I trust him. What about you?
Old 2nd May 2021, 04:42 AM   #18
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
The fake media has taken everything completely out of context. Sure he kneed one kid in the crotch and triggered some snowflakes with his testifying - but what about the millions of kids he didn't knee in the crotch ? You don't hear about them do you ?
And not one student committed suicide in his class! If that isn’t a positive what is?
Old 2nd May 2021, 04:45 AM   #19
Dr.Sid
Illuminator

Clickbait title ? Shame on you.
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2021, 05:09 AM   #20
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
Not really. If you are on a computer you can hover over the link and read the first line of the post and see what the arrest was for. If you're on a phone then it's more Tapbait.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2021, 05:15 AM   #21
Random
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
I had a genuine issue with thinking of a title that covered the wackiness of the article. I gave up and went clickbait...
Old 2nd May 2021, 06:02 AM   #22
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
He isn't a qualified teacher. He has no teaching credential or training at all.
Then he should not be managing children in a classroom, especially unsupervised.

Quote:
Almost 100% predictable, without even having to read that. As I said, Kavanaugh and Cruz.

Also, with that pathetically poor command of English, logic and...actual law??, how on Earth did he earn a law degree?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2021, 06:03 AM   #23
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

You just know there's some freaky **** on his hard drives.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2021, 06:27 AM   #24
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Wow! You could literally rearrange all of those sentences at random and it would have little to no effect on the meaning of that post.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2021, 07:11 AM   #25
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Then he should not be managing children in a classroom, especially unsupervised.

Almost 100% predictable, without even having to read that. As I said, Kavanaugh and Cruz.

Also, with that pathetically poor command of English, logic and...actual law??, how on Earth did he earn a law degree?
I've encountered some outrageously stupid lawyers in my time.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2021, 08:02 AM   #26
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I give you the entire “Trump” team of lawyers……
Old 2nd May 2021, 08:16 AM   #27
Modified
Philosopher

He isn't a qualified teacher. He has no teaching credential or training at all.

It may not be required since he has a law degree. My high school did not require any teaching degree or training for Ph.D.s, even for full-time teachers.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2021, 09:47 AM   #28
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
It may not be required since he has a law degree. My high school did not require any teaching degree or training for Ph.D.s, even for full-time teachers.
Back in the early '90s I worked as a show presenter and production assistant at a planetarium in a public school district. Technically, I and the two others like me were paid as substitute teachers, so I know that the only requirement was that the sub have at least some college.

Side note: one day I picked up my check, and to my surprise it was 50% more than usual. Without our knowledge, the director had requested pay raises for all three of us, on the grounds that the specialized training needed to run the projectors, audio equipment, computer control programs, and the general knowledge of astronomy needed to do the question and answer sessions after the show meant that no generic substitute teacher could do the job, and that our specialization warranted higher pay. The school board said, "sorry, we can't afford that". So the director quietly prepared a Power Point presentation showing that the planetarium made more money for the school system than all of the athletic programs combined, through public shows and bookings by other school corporations, then reiterated that there were only four people, including himself, who knew how to run the facility. So we got our raises.
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.

Last edited by Foster Zygote; 2nd May 2021 at 09:49 AM.
Foster Zygote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2021, 10:27 AM   #29
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
Does he have a proper doctorate? I though he was just a lawyer.
Old 2nd May 2021, 10:32 AM   #30
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

No, he has a law degree.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2021, 10:48 AM   #31
Modified
Philosopher

Any advanced degree may be allowed.

But as Foster Zygote pointed out, requirement for subs may be minimal. My sister, who has a BS in psychology but no teaching degree, used to sub. I think she did have to take some sort of certification course.
Old 2nd May 2021, 11:03 AM   #32
catsmate
No longer the 1

Good grief, USAian teaching standards seem to be rather lax.
Old 2nd May 2021, 11:09 AM   #33
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

As far as I can tell, even full time teachers aren't usually required to have an "advanced degree" in the usual meaning of that term. It's typically something like a 4 year degree in education plus some certifications. I don't know the specifics for Kansas but this guy seems to have met the paper requirements for some jurisdictions for substitute teachers.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2021, 11:22 AM   #34
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
As far as I can tell, even full time teachers aren't usually required to have an "advanced degree" in the usual meaning of that term. It's typically something like a 4 year degree in education plus some certifications. I don't know the specifics for Kansas but this guy seems to have met the paper requirements for some jurisdictions for substitute teachers.
I was referring to the lack of a requirement for specific 'teaching' training in order to teach.
Here in order to teach (at post-primary level) you need:
1. Specific Bachelor's degree in education (honours level, i.e. level 8), covering general teacher training and one or more (usually several) specific modules on the curriculum.

OR

2. A Bachelor's degree in a relevant subject (also at level 8) that specifically covers the requirements of the curriculum of the subject(s) to be taught.

AND

3. A specific teacher training qualification, usually a Higher Diploma in Education (H.Dip or H.Dip.Ed) which is a one year post-graduate course.

In either case the prospective teacher would have to hold a vetting certificate indicating they were a suitable person to have access to minors.

Any higher degrees (Masters or Doctorate) would be useful in applying for a post, and garner a salary increment, but on their own are not sufficient to teach.

Hence I, despite possessing doctorates, a masters and a B.A. (Mod) in natural science, am not qualified to teach in schools. Which is probably a good thing for all concerned.
Old 2nd May 2021, 11:39 AM   #35
Meadmaker

Reading the article there are only a couple of questions that come to mind.

He said that the kids, or a lot of them, were in on it. They knew what was going on.

So, the question was was this:

1) Incredibly pure judgement, an elaborate prank where things that shouldn't have happened, happened, in an attempt to proves some sort of point that is not exactly clear at the moment

or

2) A complete psychotic breakdown.

What was described in the article was totally, freakin', nuts. It wasn't "Republican" or "Christian" or any sort of ideological things. It was just insane, literally.
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2021, 11:53 AM   #36
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Coming back to this:
Good grief, USAian teaching standards seem to be rather lax.
And a substantial number of people would like to see those standards lowered. Abolishing the federal Department Of Education is a major goal of many on the Republican side. Abolishing public education in general has support in Congress. This state, Kansas, has at times put creationism in to the curriculum in this century.
Old 2nd May 2021, 12:05 PM   #37
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

From a recording of Mark Samsel in the classroom.
Quote:
"You know who else is scary? Almighty God is scary!"
Audio embedded in link kansascity.com

Sadly, I have to say, this sounds to me like someone who is having some kind of breakdown. I hope he gets help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mark before being arrested and after being arrested.jpg (69.2 KB, 5 views)
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2021, 12:06 PM   #38
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
What was described in the article was totally, freakin', nuts. It wasn't "Republican" or "Christian" or any sort of ideological things. It was just insane, literally.
Can you cite the sentiments that wouldn't be shared by most Republicans? As far as I can tell the only thing that wasn't entirely mainstream in Kansas was kicking the kid in the balls.
Old 2nd May 2021, 12:16 PM   #39
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Random View Post
I had a genuine issue with thinking of a title that covered the wackiness of the article. I gave up and went clickbait...
Yup.

There is not enough space in the forum title bar to accurately describe how utterly bat-**** crazy this god-bothering froot loop is
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd May 2021, 12:20 PM   #40
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

The thread title doesn't deserve to be labeled clickbait, it's an accurate teaser for the story.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics