IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th September 2021, 06:16 AM   #1
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

A thread for collateral damage victims of Covid

Alabama man dies of cardiac event after 43 hospitals with full ICUs turned him away

Quote:
The family of a man who died of heart issues in Mississippi is asking people to get vaccinated for COVID-19 after 43 hospitals across three states were unable to accept him because of full cardiac ICUs.

Ray Martin DeMonia died last week in Meridian, Mississippi. He was three days shy of his 74th birthday and a well-known native in Cullman, Alabama, his family said.

DeMonia suffered from a cardiac event, and emergency staff at Cullman Regional Medical Center had to bring him to the nearest available bed, which was nearly 200 miles away at a Mississippi hospital.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

"Biden's a Commie, like the Rockefellers!" -- some idiot overheard
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2021, 06:39 AM   #2
Warp12
Illuminator

Was he vaccinated?

Just wondering if I should shed some crocodile tears, or not.

Also, did this fool eat a lot of cheeseburgers? If so, his own dumb choice. Leave the bed for a more worthy recipient.

Last edited by Warp12; 11th September 2021 at 06:54 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2021, 06:41 AM   #3
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

In a well-publicized case two weeks ago Daniel Wilkinson, a U.S. Army veteran, died of gallstone pancreatitis, an emergent but surgically treatable condition, near Houston, Texas because of the lack of available ICU beds in the area. He was 46 years old.

The story as reported by CBS News

Last edited by Myriad; 11th September 2021 at 06:42 AM.
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2021, 06:46 AM   #4
Warp12
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
In a well-publicized case two weeks ago Daniel Wilkinson, a U.S. Army veteran, died of gallstone pancreatitis, an emergent but surgically treatable condition, near Houston, Texas because of the lack of available ICU beds in the area. He was 46 years old.

The story as reported by CBS News
Look, if you die within 24 hrs of walking into the ER...your time was basically up. This is a super-acute case.
Old 11th September 2021, 07:52 AM   #5
shemp

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Look, if you die within 24 hrs of walking into the ER...your time was basically up. This is a super-acute case.
Good luck if you have a heart attack or are badly injured. I guess you'd just have to crawl back under your rock and wait to die.

I used to think that Republicans were just jerks. Now I'm convinced that they're all sick, evil, twisted pieces of [first of George Carlin's seven dirty words].

shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2021, 08:01 AM   #6
crescent
Illuminator

From Facebook:

Quote:
Jack is sick. He is coughing and sneezing and congested. Has a fever. His counts were pretty low yesterday and we are guessing he has Erica’s cold. Right now we are sitting in the parking lot of Memorial hospital while they decide what to do with him because the hospital is overloaded and they aren’t doing direct admits. So this is what freedom and everyone making their own choices looks like. It looks like a little boy with cancer sitting in a parking lot sick on a Saturday morning while everyone else exercises their rights.

This is a quote from one of my friends who is recovering from some pretty brutal cancer treatments and still needs a lot of medical follow-through (not using names of links due to privacy concerns):
Quote:
(Husband) and I have returned home to the comfort of our kitties and local wildlife. My stem cell transplant was canceled at the last minute due to the lack of hospital beds. Seems like they're filling up with unvaccinated Covid patients. I want to urge everyone who's not vaccinated to step up and do their part to help stop this Covid outbreak by getting vaccinated. You just might help save the life of someone you love.
(I can link to the FB post in PM, if anyone wants to verify)

Last edited by crescent; 11th September 2021 at 08:05 AM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2021, 08:30 AM   #7
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating

Yeah, good point. Why do ambulances even bother to drive fast?
Old 11th September 2021, 09:04 AM   #8
dann
Penultimate Amazing

To get there before the guys who are walking into the ER?!
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th September 2021, 05:55 PM   #9
Warp12
Illuminator

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Good luck if you have a heart attack or are badly injured. I guess you'd just have to crawl back under your rock and wait to die.
As long we turn away the unvaccinated "fools" with heart attacks and injuries, I have no complaint.

Or do we only reject the "fools" who were unlucky enough to contract the virus?

Just interested in the proposed vetting process that might prevent the "collateral damage".
Old 14th September 2021, 10:09 AM   #10
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
This is a quote from one of my friends who is recovering from some pretty brutal cancer treatments and still needs a lot of medical follow-through (not using names of links due to privacy concerns):
Quote:
(Husband) and I have returned home to the comfort of our kitties and local wildlife. My stem cell transplant was canceled at the last minute due to the lack of hospital beds. Seems like they're filling up with unvaccinated Covid patients. I want to urge everyone who's not vaccinated to step up and do their part to help stop this Covid outbreak by getting vaccinated. You just might help save the life of someone you love.
(I can link to the FB post in PM, if anyone wants to verify)
This old friend of mine was interviewed by the local (Oregon) National Public Radio station last week. They aired the interview this morning in Oregon and might carry it on the national feed this afternoon. Listen for an interview with a retired Park Ranger named Charles or Charlie.

I have not heard the interview myself, but Charlie's got decades of experience in public speaking and podcasts. He probably gave a good interview.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2021, 03:31 PM   #11
crescent
Illuminator

Patients, Doctors Frustrated As Covid Delays Elective Treatments In Oregon

Quote:
A few weeks ago, Callagan was driving to Oregon Health and Science University in Portland for a bone marrow transplant. On the way, he got a call from his doctor.

“They’re like, ‘We were told this morning that we have to cancel the surgeries we had planned,’” he said.

Callagan’s surgery was canceled because the hospital was full. That’s the story at many hospitals in Oregon where they’ve been flooded with COVID-19 patients.
Quote:
“I’ve seen patients get ready to have their open-heart surgery that day," said Dr. Kent Dauterman, a cardiologist and co-director of the regional cardiac center in Medford. "I’ve seen patients have a brain tumor with visual changes, or someone with lung cancer and their procedures are canceled that day and they have to come back another day. You always hope they come back.”

In early September, Dauterman said the local hospital had 28 patients who were waiting for open-heart surgery, 24 who needed pacemakers, and 22 who were awaiting lung surgeries. He says during normal times, there wouldn’t be any wait.
Old 16th September 2021, 04:53 AM   #12
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Long delays in an ER resulted in a child's infected appendix bursting, resulting in a long and costly hospital stay for the family.

Quote:
Seth was finally diagnosed with appendicitis more than six hours after arriving at Cleveland Clinic Martin Health North Hospital in late July. Around midnight, he was taken by ambulance to a sister hospital about a half-hour away that was better equipped to perform pediatric emergency surgery, his father said.

But by the time the doctor operated in the early morning hours, Seth’s appendix had burst — a potentially fatal complication.
https://www.propublica.org/article/a...appendix-burst

Quote:
The initial hospital bill for the stay came to more than $48,000, Nathaniel Osborn said. Although insurance paid for most of it, he said the family still borrowed against its house to cover the more than $5,000 in out-of-pocket costs so far.
Greatest country on earth baby.
Old 29th September 2021, 07:52 AM   #13
shemp

Another example of why these anti-vax bastards should have the tubes pulled out of their throats and be shipped to the morgue:

https://twitter.com/summerbrennan/st...06675325476867

Quote:
When I got Covid in 2020 and spent weeks in the hospital, it was harrowing. But it was nothing compared to what my family is dealing with now—also as a result of Covid.

This is a Covid horror story in which no one actually gets Covid, and it could still happen to anyone
The story of how a man who injured his leg is now fighting for his life and is permanently disabled. Because the hospitals are full of ********.

Old 29th September 2021, 09:16 AM   #14
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Predictable, I suppose, that refusal to take a vaccine in the midst of a pandemic should be equated with the mere possibility that a person has made other bad life choices.

I think we as a society have been corrupted by the Christian trope of the 11th hour convert. All dogs go to heaven, the last chance is never really the last, I didn't know it was loaded. Cut entitlements and whine when you turn out to need one. Yesterday Covid was a hoax and the scientists were wrong. Today it's real and please, scientist, save my lying butt.

I have a sort of libertarian streak, despite being a pretty non-libertarian person in practice. I like the idea, at least. But I think that if you decide you need your freedumbs, you should ride that tiger all the way. Pay as you go. Die as you live.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2021, 09:20 AM   #15
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
Predictable, I suppose, that refusal to take a vaccine in the midst of a pandemic should be equated with the mere possibility that a person has made other bad life choices.

I think we as a society have been corrupted by the Christian trope of the 11th hour convert. All dogs go to heaven, the last chance is never really the last, I didn't know it was loaded. Cut entitlements and whine when you turn out to need one. Yesterday Covid was a hoax and the scientists were wrong. Today it's real and please, scientist, save my lying butt.

I have a sort of libertarian streak, despite being a pretty non-libertarian person in practice. I like the idea, at least. But I think that if you decide you need your freedumbs, you should ride that tiger all the way. Pay as you go. Die as you live.
It would be nice if more of these CHUDs had the courage of their convictions, but I doubt many do. Checking out of a hospital while you're still ambulatory is one thing, but few are going to have the discipline to stay home and slowly choke to death as their lung function deteriorates. Even more so for family members who aren't going to refuse calling 911 while their stubborn loved one turns blue from hypoxia.

I suppose them checking themselves out and only coming back when they are on death's door does reduce the hospital load a bit, but most of the crunch is in the ICU where these people are still going to end up, sooner or later.
Old 2nd October 2021, 09:33 PM   #16
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

As long we turn away the unvaccinated "fools" with heart attacks and injuries, I have no complaint.

Or do we only reject the "fools" who were unlucky enough to contract the virus?

Just interested in the proposed vetting process that might prevent the "collateral damage".
We should turn away anybody who is suffering from a preventable medical condition.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd October 2021, 02:27 AM   #17
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

We were 37,000 medical procedures behind a month ago. Since that 37k was after 3 weeks of lockdown and we're now at week 7, it must be well over 60k by now.

And it's not even due to Covid cases in hospitals, with only a handful currently in hospital.

I don't think it's possible to calculate how many extra deaths that will cause, but there will be some for certain.
Old 6th October 2021, 04:36 PM   #18
shemp

Maryland man allegedly fatally shot his pharmacist brother for ‘killing people’ with the COVID vaccine, court records show

As well as his brother's wife and a long-time friend of his mother.

Quote:
A Cumberland man allegedly killed his brother and sister-in-law in their Ellicott City home last week because his brother, a pharmacist, administered COVID-19 vaccines, according to charging documents filed Wednesday in a Howard County court.

Jeffrey Burnham told his mother he had to confront his older brother, Brian Robinette, because he was poisoning people by administering the COVID-19 vaccine, telling his mother, “Brian knows something,” according to the new charging documents filed against Burnham.

Burnham is being held without bond in Allegany County, where he is charged with stabbing Rebecca Reynolds, 83, to death inside her Cumberland home on Sept. 29. Police said he took her car and fled to Ellicott City, where a day later he killed Robinette, 58, and his wife Kelly Sue Robinette, 57. He faces first and second-degree murder charges in the couples’ deaths.

According to the charging documents filed against Burnham related to the Howard County murders, Burnham told another unnamed person that his brother was “killing people with the COVID shot.”

Old 11th October 2021, 01:42 AM   #19
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Where’s the snarky response about how he knew it was a dangerous job when he went to pharmacy school?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th October 2021, 01:50 AM   #20
Warp12
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Where’s the snarky response about how he knew it was a dangerous job when he went to pharmacy school?
Why state the obvious?
Old 11th October 2021, 07:28 PM   #21
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Why state the obvious?
If you’re going to lay the part you have to play it. No days off or it loses the sense of authenticity.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th October 2021, 09:42 AM   #22
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

A Mom Who Hasn’t Gotten Vaxxed—and Might Not Vaccinate Her Kids—Explains Herself

https://slate.com/technology/2021/10...s-herself.html

Quote:
I do think that we’ll end up getting the vaccine. I do, I really do. And unfortunately, because we procrastinate so much, it probably won’t even be like “Oh, I made us an appointment” or anything. We’ll probably be walking through Walmart, picking up dog food, and I’ll be like, “Hey can y’all give us the shot real quick?”

It’ll be the last-minute decision with no thought, because that’s how I do stuff. I wing it, and it’ll be something that I was so worried about for so long, and then I did it last minute with no thought. And that probably is going to be how it comes to be.
The only actual reasoning I see is that "People have been vaccinated and got Covid". Yes, lady, it's not 100% effective but those vaccinated were much less sick and much more likely to die.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events