IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th October 2021, 07:19 AM   #1
angrysoba
Philosophile

Tory MP David Amess Murdered

Quote:
A man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after a man was stabbed in Leigh-on-Sea.

We were called to an address in Eastwood Road North shortly after 12.05pm today (Friday 15 October).

We attended and found a man injured. He was treated by emergency services but, sadly, died at the scene.

A 25-year-old man was quickly arrested after officers arrived at the scene on suspicion of murder and a knife was recovered. He is currently in custody.

We are not looking for anyone else in connection with this incident.
Quote:
Sources with knowledge of the investigation confirm the man who died is the Conservative MP David Amess.
This is from the Guardian livefeed.
Old 15th October 2021, 07:20 AM   #2
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Tory MP Sir David Amess dies after stabbing

Conservative MP Sir David Amess has died after being stabbed at his constituency surgery in Essex.

Police said a man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after the stabbing in Leigh-on-Sea.

They said they recovered a knife and were not looking for anyone else in connection to the incident.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58930593
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2021, 07:21 AM   #3
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

MP David Amess stabbed to death

Tory MP David Amess has been stabbed while holding a meeting in his constituency. Details are sketchy at the moment, but he appears to have died from his injuries before reaching hospital.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-58929453

This BBC news page is slightly out of date, but will perhaps be updated.

Amess is perhaps best known in Britain for his appearance on the Brass Eye episode cake, in which he campaigned against the fictional drug cake, going as far as to table a Parliamentary Question on the subject:

Originally Posted by Hansard
Mr. Amess: To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what action the Government propose in respect of the import of (a) khat, (b) gammahydroxybutyrate and (c) "cake" to the United Kingdom. [38968]

Mr. Sackville: Neither the khat plant nor the substances gammahydroxybutyrate--GHB--or "cake", which we understand refers to 3,4-methylenedioxy-N-benzylamphetamine, are controlled under the international United Nations drug conventions or under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971.
He was a Tory in the mould of Alan Clark, in that he cared more about animal rights than human rights (rather than the affairs and Nazi references). He successfully pushed a ten minute rule bill through the Houses which meant it was illegal to tether horses in a way that would distress them.

He is the second British MP to be murdered in just over five years, following the killing of Jo Cox in 2016.

Last edited by gypsyjackson; 15th October 2021 at 07:28 AM.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2021, 07:39 AM   #4
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Oh bloody hell.

Yes, it has to be him - nobody else was reported as having been injured.

I met him three times at Prostate Cancer UK events at which we were both working. And while I didn't care for some of his politics (something that's irrelevant right now in any case), he seemed like the most thoughtful, gentle, bright and generous person. The way he worked with members of the public when I was around him had the genuine air of him caring about them and their issues - it never ever seemed to me like he was just going through the motions for political (or other) reasons.

And to me, this makes the manner of his death - during a well-publicised MP's surgery* - all the more poignant to me.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if after this tragedy, on top of the Jo Cox murder in 2016, it becomes mandatory to have at least one police officer present at all MPs' surgeries. That would be a very good move too, IMO: the cost and the impact on the workings of democracy would be more than offset by the reduction in the threat.

* For those who might be unaware, in the UK an MP's surgery is where the MP appears at a certain location in his/her constituency for constituents to drop in (either by appointment or on a walk-in basis) with problems that they'd like the MP to try to help out with. In the UK, they usually take place on a Friday, because the House of Commons doesn't usually sit on Fridays.
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2021, 08:26 AM   #5
Warp12
Banned

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Conservative MP Sir David Amess has died after being stabbed at his constituency surgery in Essex.

Police said a man has been arrested on suspicion of murder after the stabbing in Leigh-on-Sea.

They said they recovered a knife and were not looking for anyone else in connection to the incident.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58930593
I don't follow politics in the UK. Can you provide some context as to how significant this individual was? Popular, well-known, hated, loved?
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2021, 08:46 AM   #6
catsmate
No longer the 1

I remember him from the Brass Eye 'Cake' episode as a bit of an idiot.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2021, 08:50 AM   #7
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Duplicate thread one minute earlier.
Old 15th October 2021, 08:51 AM   #8
sir drinks-a-lot
Philosopher

Originally Posted by LondonJohn View Post
For those who might be unaware, in the UK an MP's surgery is where the MP appears at a certain location in his/her constituency for constituents to drop in (either by appointment or on a walk-in basis) with problems that they'd like the MP to try to help out with. In the UK, they usually take place on a Friday, because the House of Commons doesn't usually sit on Fridays.
Thanks for this much-needed clarification. As an American, I was beyond confused until reading this.
Old 15th October 2021, 08:52 AM   #9
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
I remember him from the Brass Eye 'Cake' episode as a bit of an idiot.

Well, he was properly duped - but then an awful lot of distinguished people were duped by the likes of Brass Eye, Ali G and Trigger Happy TV.

In my own experience, he was a decent, kind and generous-of-spirit person. I disagreed with pretty much all of his religiously-informed political opinions, but at the same time I admired his integrity in standing up for what he believed in.

Anyhow.....
LondonJohn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2021, 08:55 AM   #10
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

* For those who might be unaware, in the UK an MP's surgery is where the MP appears at a certain location in his/her constituency for constituents to drop in (either by appointment or on a walk-in basis) with problems that they'd like the MP to try to help out with.
Yes, thanks. Google was not being helpful with that.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2021, 09:03 AM   #11
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
I don't follow politics in the UK. Can you provide some context as to how significant this individual was? Popular, well-known, hated, loved?

He'd been an MP for over four decades. He'd held junior government positions in the early 90s, but was primarily a passionate backbencher MP.

When he entered Parliament as an MP in the 80s, he was seen - on account of his fairly flamboyant presentation, his accent, and the fact that he represented the archetypal working-class-Tory constituency of Basildon - as the epitome of "Essex Man" Thatcherism. He was also notable in the 1992 General Election for holding his seat when all the predictions were that he'd lose it: his survival in the seat, because his result was one of the early announcements on election night, was seen as a bellwether for the Conservatives to upset the odds and remain the party of Government. His giant smile on hearing his victory being announced was perhaps the most enduring image of that election.

I don't think many - if any - within Parliament had a bad word to say about him as a person. Many disagreed with his politics, and indeed many thought that some of his political opinions were reprehensible and immoral. But on other matters, he was a frequent cross-party-consensus politician. He was known as an honest, passionate and considerate person, as far as I'm (anecdotally) aware.
Old 15th October 2021, 09:11 AM   #12
LondonJohn
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Yes, thanks. Google was not being helpful with that.

This was his tweet in which he advertised today's surgery - the one in which he was stabbed to death......

https://twitter.com/amessd_southend/...76799531212800
Old 15th October 2021, 12:03 PM   #13
Warp12
Banned

He'd been an MP for over four decades. He'd held junior government positions in the early 90s, but was primarily a passionate backbencher MP.

When he entered Parliament as an MP in the 80s, he was seen - on account of his fairly flamboyant presentation, his accent, and the fact that he represented the archetypal working-class-Tory constituency of Basildon - as the epitome of "Essex Man" Thatcherism. He was also notable in the 1992 General Election for holding his seat when all the predictions were that he'd lose it: his survival in the seat, because his result was one of the early announcements on election night, was seen as a bellwether for the Conservatives to upset the odds and remain the party of Government. His giant smile on hearing his victory being announced was perhaps the most enduring image of that election.

I don't think many - if any - within Parliament had a bad word to say about him as a person. Many disagreed with his politics, and indeed many thought that some of his political opinions were reprehensible and immoral. But on other matters, he was a frequent cross-party-consensus politician. He was known as an honest, passionate and considerate person, as far as I'm (anecdotally) aware.
Thank you for the details. Very sad situation.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2021, 03:05 PM   #14
Agatha
Winking at the Moon
Administrator

Like LondonJohn, I disagreed with the majority of his political and social opinions. I deplore his murder and this attack on our democracy.

I've attended my local MP's surgery on a couple of occasions, and these sessions are vital to connect MPs with their constituents. I hope this incident doesn't provoke a knee-jerk ban on MP surgeries, though it should probably lead to some consideration about security.
Old 15th October 2021, 03:44 PM   #15
Graham2001
Graduate Poster

Here is the commentary from the people at Spiked, who can't resist mentioning that one previous (non-fatal) attack at an MP Surgery involved an Islamic extremist who happened to be female.

Quote:
David Amess, Conservative MP for Southend West, has been stabbed to death at his constituency surgery at a church in Leigh-on-Sea. We can’t help but reach for the usual clichés at a time like this, but none provides much comfort in the face of such horror and tragedy.

At the time of writing we know nothing about Amess’s alleged murderer, other than police arrested a 25-year-old man at the scene. They recovered a knife and aren’t looking for anyone else in connection with the incident.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2021/1...p-david-amess/

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2021, 03:47 PM   #16
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Liberal Democrat MP Nigel Jones was attacked and his aide killed at a surgerys by a man with a samurai sword in 2000

Quote:
An MP's assistant was stabbed to death yesterday as he tried to protect the Liberal Democrat MP Nigel Jones from an attacker who stormed his constituency office in Cheltenham armed with a sword.
Andy Pennington, Mr Jones' personal aide and a member of Gloucestershire county council's education committee, died from multiple stab wounds when the man burst into the office at 4.30pm yesterday.

Mr Jones, 51, who was conducting his weekly constituency surgery, received lacerations to his hands and arms after fending off blows from the swordsman. He was being treated at Cheltenham general hospital last night.
Mr Jones raised the alarm after staggering bloodied and stunned from the office in St George's Street. An armed-response unit attended the scene.
The attacker, believed to be a local man known to police, had walked from the office still holding the sword, and was arrested further up the street outside a branch of Littlewoods department store.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...politicalnews1

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 15th October 2021 at 03:48 PM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2021, 03:47 PM   #17
3point14
Pi

I'll just leave this here.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10...end_west/votes

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2021, 04:46 PM   #18
p0lka
Illuminator

In spite of their position on the death penalty, I wish they were still around to argue about it. rip.
p0lka is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2021, 05:06 PM   #19
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Interestingly the killing is being reported in Australia as happening in a church rather than a constituency surgery. What on earth is a constituency surgery anyway?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2021, 05:21 PM   #20
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Interestingly the killing is being reported in Australia as happening in a church rather than a constituency surgery. What on earth is a constituency surgery anyway?
LondonJohn explained in more depth earlier, but it’s basically where the MP allows people in his/her constituency to come in to raise concerns. Usually it’s split into an appointment based session and a drop-in session, but that depends on the MP. Sometimes they host in their offices, other times at buildings in the community.

This surgery was in a church - I haven’t checked whether Amess ran them there a lot, but in my last constituency in the UK (in Croydon) my MP Sarah Jones ran a surgery in the Methodist church two doors down from me occasionally.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2021, 05:24 PM   #21
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by gypsyjackson View Post
LondonJohn explained in more depth earlier, but it’s basically where the MP allows people in his/her constituency to come in to raise concerns. Usually it’s split into an appointment based session and a drop-in session, but that depends on the MP. Sometimes they host in their offices, other times at buildings in the community.

This surgery was in a church - I haven’t checked whether Amess ran them there a lot, but in my last constituency in the UK (in Croydon) my MP Sarah Jones ran a surgery in the Methodist church two doors down from me occasionally.
Thanks.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2021, 05:30 PM   #22
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Our MP has a rented shop off the main market place. It is also his constituency office.
Old 15th October 2021, 05:31 PM   #23
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

Liberal Democrat MP Nigel Jones was attacked and his aide killed at a surgerys by a man with a samurai sword in 2000

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...politicalnews1
And Stephen Timms was attacked in the mid-2000s 2010.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stabbing_of_Stephen_Timms

The attack on Amess has been described as a terrorist incident by the police now:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-58935372

Last edited by gypsyjackson; 15th October 2021 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Found date and reference
Old 15th October 2021, 05:38 PM   #24
gypsyjackson
Graduate Poster

Our MP has a rented shop off the main market place. It is also his constituency office.
In Cambridgeshire, a number of Tory MPs share a constituency office in Hardwick, presumably to save money. I guess they need to rent venues for surgeries, and changing venues means you can hold them closer to more people over time.
Old 15th October 2021, 05:38 PM   #25
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gypsyjackson View Post
And Stephen Timms was attacked in the mid-2000s 2010.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stabbing_of_Stephen_Timms

The attack on Amess has been described as a terrorist incident by the police now:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-58935372
Yes, I forgot about Timms.
Old 15th October 2021, 05:44 PM   #26
angrysoba
Philosophile

Quote:
The killing of Conservative MP Sir David Amess has been declared a terrorist incident by police.

Sir David was stabbed multiple times at a constituency surgery in Leigh-on-Sea in Essex on Friday.

The Metropolitan Police said there was "a potential motivation linked to Islamist extremism".
Link
Old 15th October 2021, 06:00 PM   #27
MarkCorrigan
¡No pasarán!

Jesus. I almost never agreed with the man but this is appalling. I wish his family well. This must be heart-breaking for them.

When I give food to the poor, they call me a Saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist. - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th October 2021, 06:02 PM   #28
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
Jesus. I almost never agreed with the man but this is appalling. I wish his family well. This must be heart-breaking for them.
I agree. I don't need to see what his views are on various issues, because regardless of what they are, this is a despicable act.
Old 16th October 2021, 03:09 AM   #29
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Oh bloody hell.

I met him three times at Prostate Cancer UK events at which we were both working. And while I didn't care for some of his politics (something that's irrelevant right now in any case), he seemed like the most thoughtful, gentle, bright and generous person. The way he worked with members of the public when I was around him had the genuine air of him caring about them and their issues - it never ever seemed to me like he was just going through the motions for political (or other) reasons.

And to me, this makes the manner of his death - during a well-publicised MP's surgery* - all the more poignant to me.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if after this tragedy, on top of the Jo Cox murder in 2016, it becomes mandatory to have at least one police officer present at all MPs' surgeries. That would be a very good move too, IMO: the cost and the impact on the workings of democracy would be more than offset by the reduction in the threat.

* For those who might be unaware, in the UK an MP's surgery is where the MP appears at a certain location in his/her constituency for constituents to drop in (either by appointment or on a walk-in basis) with problems that they'd like the MP to try to help out with. In the UK, they usually take place on a Friday, because the House of Commons doesn't usually sit on Fridays.
Problem is, Jo Cox was murdered on the way to the surgery.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2021, 03:15 AM   #30
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

I see it is being reported the 'suspect' is a 'British national of Somali heritage'. Ugh. 'Heritage' - pet hate word. What does it mean? Is he a protected Somali building or land, or maybe it is a hint to the Lawrence Foxes of the world to get all triggered.

Or maybe it is a reference to him being <whisper it> a Muslim.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2021, 03:27 AM   #31
Warp12
Banned

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I see it is being reported the 'suspect' is a 'British national of Somali heritage'. Ugh. 'Heritage' - pet hate word. What does it mean? Is he a protected Somali building or land, or maybe it is a hint to the Lawrence Foxes of the world to get all triggered.

Or maybe it is a reference to him being <whisper it> a Muslim.
Well, if he is a Muslim extremist, they definitely should keep that a secret.
Old 16th October 2021, 03:34 AM   #32
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

I couldn't stand the guy. I met him and thought he was a slimy weasel.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2021, 04:22 AM   #33
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Problem is, Jo Cox was murdered on the way to the surgery.
The problem is that we don’t have a crystal ball that works or a time machine!
Old 16th October 2021, 04:28 AM   #34
Hercules Rockefeller
Woof!

What a mess.

That comment was bad and I should feel bad.

Last edited by Hercules Rockefeller; 16th October 2021 at 04:32 AM.
Hercules Rockefeller is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2021, 04:44 AM   #35
3point14
Pi

Oh bloody hell.

I met him three times at Prostate Cancer UK events at which we were both working. And while I didn't care for some of his politics (something that's irrelevant right now in any case), he seemed like the most thoughtful, gentle, bright and generous person.
His voting record would indicate otherwise.

What's happened is horrific and nobody should end that way, but the impression I'm getting of the man was that he was very good at PR.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2021, 05:35 AM   #36
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Well, if he is a Muslim extremist, they definitely should keep that a secret.
Mo Farrah is British and a Muslim. Does that make him an undesirable 'extremist'?

Old 16th October 2021, 05:39 AM   #37
Warp12
Banned

Mo Farrah is British and a Muslim. Does that make him an undesirable 'extremist'?
Does he have religion-based extremist views? Has he stabbed anyone to death, recently?
Old 16th October 2021, 06:58 AM   #38
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
I couldn't stand the guy. I met him and thought he was a slimy weasel.
That was my take too. A sufferer from the Imperial Delusion.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2021, 07:08 AM   #39
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Does he have religion-based extremist views? Has he stabbed anyone to death, recently?
Sorry? So knowing that someone is 'of Somali heritage' tells you they are a 'religion-based extremist'? As the guy only stabbed one person, when there were many others around, it doesn't fit the usual 'extremist attack'. What about that Jack Warner (_sp?) guy in southern England who went on a spree killing five people, including a little girl: why is he not described in similar racist terms?

How do you know this 'Somali' didn't attack Sir David Amess for a reason other than being a Somali?

Old 16th October 2021, 07:13 AM   #40
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
That was my take too. A sufferer from the Imperial Delusion.
I really must protest. So the guy was a Brexiteer, a Roman Catholic who voted against abortion and same-sex marriage as well as being patriotic. One might not agree with him but that doesn't make him a 'slimy weasal'. The guy was just doing his job. As I recall, MP Norman Tebbit was hated for his Tory views yet by all accounts, his constituents thought he was great. He went out of his way to help them with their housing problems and the usual struggles people go through.

This is a really shocking murder and I don't think this is the time to excoriate the guy because of political differences. He liked dogs and voted against fox-hunting, so he was not all bad.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events