IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags glenn beck , racism charges

Old 8th January 2022, 03:56 AM   #1
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

A certain photo print on the wall at Glenn Beck's house

Glenn Beck, a prominent member of the right-wing media machine in the US, is lately on a junket of sorts with former-President Trump - one which hasn't been selling quite as well as had been hoped; but that's not my focus right now.

A few nights ago an interview between Beck and Trump was televised, and in the middle this happened, a short interlude in which Beck, sitting at home, takes some time to spread the good word about diet supplements:

Beck hawking quackery Alex-Jones-style isn't my focus either; it's the grift most of these guys are running in the COVID era and there's not a whole lot to add on that subject. I want to focus on what's behind Beck. That blown-up photograph, framed and mounted on the wall back there. For some reason, this shot - and it's an extended, static one of Beck talking - seems almost consciously framed to include the entirety of that image.

You may not recognize what that's a photo of, so I'll tell you. It's of the end of a boxing match on June 19, 1936 between not-yet-world-champion Joe Louis and Germany's top fighter of the era, Max Schmeling. This is the moment in the 12th round when, after having had Louis on the back foot for the duration of the match, Schmeling finally knocked him down for good and Louis was counted out.

If you were an American at this time in history, this moment sucked hard. Louis hadn't won the championship yet and this wasn't a title fight, but he was a famous up-and-comer, he was a strong American boxer, and he'd just been defeated by a German, the time in his entire career that Louis had been knocked out. The American media, which at that time was still unabashedly racist in its coverage of black fighters, at least still wanted them to win against other countries' boxers, and particularly ones seen as geopolitical enemies.

If you were the people running Germany in 1936, it was a different story obviously. The victory was an unfettered domestic PR coup for the Nazi government. In post-fight interviews Schmeling dedicated the victory to Germany and the Fuehrer; Adolf Hitler sent Schmeling's wife flowers. Images of Louis's defeat, especially this one due to its framing - visibly depicting the German standing triumphantly as the referee counts over the fallen American, the fallen black man - were extensively used in propaganda at the time, and again two years later leading up to the rematch.

Oh yeah, the rematch. A year after this loss, Joe Louis won his first world champion title. And a year after that, he would fight Schmeling again, this time in a title match that both the American and German press politicized the hell out of as essentially a proxy battle between the US and Nazi Germany. Schmeling himself wasn't a dedicated Nazi personally, but he was treated by the Nazis as a national symbol of German political and racial superiority nonetheless. An actual Nazi Party representative accompanied Schmeling's team, and reassured the world that the conclusion of the upcoming fight was forgone - Schmeling had already shown he could defeat Louis solidly, and it was impossible for a black man to defeat a German in any case.

The rematch fight took place on June 22, 1938. It didn't last a round; in two minutes, Louis absolutely demolished Schmeling - demolished as in, Schmeling was finally released from the hospital a week and a half later. The American press called Joe Louis a hero, and also "a jungle man, primitive as any savage". That's really all there is to say as far as that goes.

But now we've got this photo, of Joe Louis being defeated in the first fight. And it is enlarged and handsomely displayed on the wall at Glenn Beck's home. Why does Glenn Beck, who is an American, have this photograph of the moment of an American being beaten down by a representative of Nazi Germany on his wall? Is it because the winner is from Nazi Germany? Is it because the loser on the ground is a black man? Or would Beck contend he is wholly ignorant of the context of the photograph and the actual people in it and just thought it was a "neat boxing photo"? Why did he frame the shot for this commercial seemingly with intention to include the photograph? I can think of no good answers to these questions.

Last edited by Checkmite; 8th January 2022 at 04:00 AM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2022, 04:49 AM   #2
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe in his conceit and claimed victimhood common of his kind, he sees himself as Joe Louis.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2022, 06:42 AM   #3
slyjoe
Master Poster

Maybe he likes the imagery of a white man standing over a black man.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2022, 06:44 AM   #4
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Why does Glenn Beck, who is an American, have this photograph of the moment of an American being beaten down by a representative of Nazi Germany on his wall? Is it because the winner is from Nazi Germany? Is it because the loser on the ground is a black man? Or would Beck contend he is wholly ignorant of the context of the photograph and the actual people in it and just thought it was a "neat boxing photo"? Why did he frame the shot for this commercial seemingly with intention to include the photograph? I can think of no good answers to these questions.
I can. It can be an inspirational photo. Even when things look bad, you've been knocked down, beaten up, you've lost, you can still pick yourself up, work hard, and come out on top. This may be a low point of the story, but the whole point may be that it's not the end of the story.

Is this why he has the photo? When I started this post, I didn't know. But then, neither do you. You're running on basically zero information. But then I got curious. So I looked it up, just searching "Glenn Beck Joe Louis". And I'm right. This was my top search result:

https://www.glennbeck.com/radio/joe-...o-move-forward

You could have found this quite easily. You didn't try.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law

Last edited by Ziggurat; 8th January 2022 at 06:47 AM.
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2022, 06:44 AM   #5
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Maybe he likes the imagery of a white man standing over a black man.
Possible but why pick that picture then? Louis won their next fight.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2022, 07:03 AM   #6
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Possible but why pick that picture then? Louis won their next fight.
You're asking me for a rationalization of Glenn Becks behavior?

"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2022, 07:44 AM   #7
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Remember when the filthy racist blurted this...?

Originally Posted by Glenn Beck
I don`t have a lot of African-American friends, and I think part of it is because I`m afraid that I would be in an open conversation, and I would say something that somebody would take wrong, and then it would be a nightmare.
Old 8th January 2022, 09:35 AM   #8
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I can. It can be an inspirational photo. Even when things look bad, you've been knocked down, beaten up, you've lost, you can still pick yourself up, work hard, and come out on top. This may be a low point of the story, but the whole point may be that it's not the end of the story.

Is this why he has the photo? When I started this post, I didn't know. But then, neither do you. You're running on basically zero information. But then I got curious. So I looked it up, just searching "Glenn Beck Joe Louis". And I'm right. This was my top search result:

https://www.glennbeck.com ... /radio...o-move-forward

Maybe because, unlike the racist apologist dopes at spam farm / link aggregator / snake oil sales site glennbeck dot com, he knows how to spell "Joe Louis."

Last edited by carlitos; 8th January 2022 at 09:36 AM. Reason: disabled link
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2022, 11:02 AM   #9
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Maybe because, unlike the racist apologist dopes at spam farm / link aggregator / snake oil sales site glennbeck dot com, he knows how to spell "Joe Louis."
Oh yes!!! Kaboom!!!!
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
Those who agree with me may not always be right, but nonetheless, I admire their astuteness.
Cullen Hightower
smartcooky is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2022, 12:15 PM   #10
Cain
Straussian

How could Glenn Beck be racist? His favorite musician is Jimmy Hendricks. He has a huge picture in his conversation pit.

https://www.rollingstone.com/wp-cont...00,1200&w=1200

Last edited by zooterkin; 8th January 2022 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Rule 5
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2022, 12:53 PM   #11
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

I confess I stopped caring what Glenn Beck's deal was when he had that falling out with the deplorables and tried to pull the "oh but I was only being a racist dickbag ironically, it was a character you know" bit to reclaim his image.

So he's trying to dogwhistle his way back over to the teat, huh? Even has the round little Roger Stone glasses on. Someone should tell him he needs a small gold-plated idol of Trump in the background too, that'll really seal it.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2022, 01:10 PM   #12
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Even ******* it up, I still found the answer in like two seconds. Checkmite didn't even try. I don't know why you think that's an own on me.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2022, 02:00 PM   #13
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know what Beck's real motivation for having that picture is. He may be telling the truth that it's about redemption, but I doubt it. Knowing Beck's history, I suspect he's not exactly being honest and just giving it a more PC spin. If one wanted a picture showing redemption, this one of Joe KO'ing Max would be more appropriate.

Quote:
Beck: Obama is a “racist” with a “deep-seated hatred for white people.” On the July 28, 2009, edition of Fox News’ Fox & Friends, Beck said of President Obama: “This president, I think, has exposed himself as a guy, over and over and over again, who has a deep-seated hatred for white people or the white culture.” Beck added: “I’m not saying that he doesn’t like white people, I’m saying he has a problem. He has a – this guy is, I believe, a racist.” The following day, Beck stood by the remarks: “I think the president is a racist.”

Beck suggested Obama’s name is un-American. On the February 4 edition of The Glenn Beck Program, Beck said of Obama: “He chose to use his name, Barack, for a reason. To identify, not with America – you don’t take the name Barack to identify with America. You take the name Barack to identify with what? Your heritage? The heritage, maybe, of your father in Kenya, who is a radical?”
Quote:
Beck praised constitutional provision protecting slave trade. In his 2009 book Arguing With Idiots, Beck reprinted and praised the now-obsolete Article I, Section 9, Clause 1 of the Constitution, which prohibited Congress from ending the slave trade before 1808 and capped taxes on the slave trade at $10 per slave. Beck, without mentioning slavery, interpreted the provision to mean that “the Founders actually put a price tag on coming to this country: $10 per person. Apparently they felt like there was a value to being able to live here.”

Health care reform. “This guy is not who he says he is. None of his bills, none of his proposals are about what he says they’re about. The health care bill is reparations. It’s the beginning of reparations. He’s going to give – if you want to go into medical school, the medical schools will get more federal dollars if they have proven that they are putting minorities ahead.” [The Glenn Beck Program, 7/22/09]
https://www.colorlines.com/articles/...racist-moments

Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2022, 02:06 PM   #14
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

https://www.glennbeck.com/radio/joe-...o-move-forward

But you didn't notice the date that was published, which was January 6th, the day after his commercial aired and his having the photograph on his wall was called out.

Now you can choose to believe that this was an earnest attempt by this man to explain himself; but I'm not sure his explanation is entirely earnest. This is a man who has rubbed onions under his eyes to make them teary before a segment of his television show so he could appear to be emotionally distraught over the destruction that Democrats are doing to America.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2022, 02:11 PM   #15
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

But you didn't notice the date that was published, which was January 6th, the day after his commercial aired and his having the photograph on his wall was called out.

Now you can choose to believe that this was an earnest attempt by this man to explain himself; but I'm not sure his explanation is entirely earnest. This is a man who has rubbed onions under his eyes to make them teary before a segment of his television show so he could appear to be emotionally distraught over the destruction that Democrats are doing to America.
Verb " to own someone"; see this post ^.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2022, 03:30 PM   #16
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Honestly, who gives a flying **** what Glenn Beck has in his house. He is mostly unknown outside the USA. Of those that do know OF him, very few have seen or listened to him. And of those, even fewer haven't laughed and said "Wahdamaroon".
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2022, 03:40 PM   #17
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Honestly, who gives a flying **** what Glenn Beck has in his house. He is mostly unknown outside the USA. Of those that do know OF him, very few have seen or listened to him. And of those, even fewer haven't laughed and said "Wahdamaroon".
He is actually an extremely influential right-wing commentator/lunatic. He was a Fox celebrity before he launched his own TV operation, and he has a nationally syndicated radio show. The fact that you haven't heard of him doesn't diminish his impact.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Beck
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2022, 05:12 PM   #18
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I don't know what Beck's real motivation for having that picture is. He may be telling the truth that it's about redemption, but I doubt it. Knowing Beck's history, I suspect he's not exactly being honest and just giving it a more PC spin. If one wanted a picture showing redemption, this one of Joe KO'ing Max would be more appropriate.

...and if you really want to tell a story of redemption, why not pair the images together? If you know the story, this seems like the obvious thing to do.
Old 8th January 2022, 05:19 PM   #19
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.colorlines.com/articles/...racist-moments

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...9fb4fd35b0.jpg
I'm not defending Beck. I think it's fair to assume his motivations were the basest imaginable. It's what his kind are want to do.
Old 8th January 2022, 06:12 PM   #20
Fidelio
Graduate Poster

I'm not defending Beck. I think it's fair to assume his motivations were the basest imaginable. It's what his kind are want to do.
Pretty much this. The projection inherent in the lie "stop the steal" while working night and day to in fact legally steal any election they disagree with long ago depleted my "benefit of the doubt" reservoir.
.. The stars were suns, but so far away they were just little points of light ... The scale of the universe suddenly opened up to me. It was a kind of religious experience. There was a magnificence to it, a grandeur, a scale which has never left me. Never ever left me.
Carl Sagan
Fidelio is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2022, 10:28 PM   #21
Norman Alexander
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
He is actually an extremely influential right-wing commentator/lunatic. He was a Fox celebrity before he launched his own TV operation, and he has a nationally syndicated radio show. The fact that you haven't heard of him doesn't diminish his impact.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenn_Beck
Oh, I personally know of him reasonably well. For research on this forum, I've sat through various diatribes he has made public. Enough to repeat: Whadamaroon.

I don't think you realise that "national radio/TV celebrity in the USA" is roughly equivalent to "national radio/TV celebrity in Moldavia" for the rest of the world. That is, relatively unknown to the other 4 billion people on this planet. We think trolls like Beck are just televangelist grifters for fascism. Even our home-grown right-wingers think they are too far out there to emulate here. They are considered comically awful, a grotesque of what they think they are. A laughingstock, failed SNL auditions. So it continues to amaze us that any Americans still take them even remotely seriously.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 8th January 2022 at 10:30 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2022, 11:04 PM   #22
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Even ******* it up, I still found the answer in like two seconds. Checkmite didn't even try. I don't know why you think that's an own on me.
Understood but that's only his claim. He is just Trumptrash and carries the burden of dishonesty of his kind. A Trump supporter is assumed to be dishonest. Their kind aren't like us. They aren't as good us. They aren't Americans. Are there two Americans who can confirm what the Magascum claimed about the painting? I think it's possible that he sees himself as Joe Louis but based only on his claim, we'd need people not of his ilk to confirm it. He's just a lesser class of person.
Old 8th January 2022, 11:23 PM   #23
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

No respect at all for Glen Beck, but I agree with this take on why that pic would be inspirational. It shows the ref with an unequivocal "you are down, out, DONE" pose, and if you identify with Louis, it is the defining moment for you, even more so than the later victorious pose. Absolutely beaten in the world's eyes, but not your own.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2022, 11:59 PM   #24
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
No respect at all for Glen Beck, but I agree with this take on why that pic would be inspirational. It shows the ref with an unequivocal "you are down, out, DONE" pose, and if you identify with Louis, it is the defining moment for you, even more so than the later victorious pose. Absolutely beaten in the world's eyes, but not your own.

I doubt that. I'd think, if you identify with Louis, you'd focus on his triumph, not his defeat. Your take seems bassackwards to me.
Old 9th January 2022, 12:07 AM   #25
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I doubt that. I'd think, if you identify with Louis, you'd focus on his triumph, not his defeat. Your take seems bassackwards to me.
No, that's what spectators think is important. For the fighter, it's all inside. When the ref called him down and out, that was Louis' moment to find out what he was made of. It's purely an internal battle, more than the external win. Bouts come and go. What you are fundamentally made of is much more important to a fighter.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2022, 12:11 AM   #26
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

No, that's what spectators think is important. For the fighter, it's all inside. When the ref called him down and out, that was Louis' moment to find out what he was made of. It's purely an internal battle, more than the external win. Bouts come and go. What you are fundamentally made of is much more important to a fighter.
And you know this how?
Old 9th January 2022, 12:16 AM   #27
Lurch
Graduate Poster

How would you know what is "the defining moment" in the life of anyone who would identify with Joe Louis? Would THIS be the one, or the most emblematic, image they would choose as representative of his or of their own course in life? I sure don't know.

Any rabid right winger who would disenfranchise people of color can in no way be given the benefit of the doubt regarding an image of a white man standing over a defeated black man. We'd expect to see such in a KKKlansman's den. To show it prominently can rightly be taken as a racist dog whistle at least. Any of Beck's followers who are disposed to White Power WILL take that message. And Beck knows it.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2022, 12:17 AM   #28
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

And you know this how?
From sparring most of my teen and adult life. Why do you ask?

Old 9th January 2022, 12:22 AM   #29
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
How would you know what is "the defining moment" in the life of anyone who would identify with Joe Louis? Would THIS be the one, or the most emblematic, image they would choose as representative of his or of their own course in life? I sure don't know.
I'm offering my own opinion on how I can relate to it and what it would mean to those like me. What are you, my analyst now?

Quote:
Any rabid right winger who would disenfranchise people of color can in no way be given the benefit of the doubt regarding an image of a white man standing over a defeated black man. We'd expect to see such in a KKKlansman's den. To show it prominently can rightly be taken as a racist dog whistle at least. Any of Beck's followers who are disposed to White Power WILL take that message. And Beck knows it.
As I already said, I have no respect for Beck. I was concurring with Ziggaraut's take on why that particular pic would be emotionally significant to a certain kind of person.

People on the sidelines think the victory lap is what it's all about. It is the battle, even with yourself and your own demons, that is more important to some of us.

Old 9th January 2022, 12:24 AM   #30
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

From sparring most of my teen and adult life. Why do you ask?
I asked because you seem so sure about what 'fighters' would determine is the 'defining moment' as if you know how they all think. I don't think you do; you only know what you think.

I doubt Nixon had a picture of Kennedy being sworn but I'm damn sure he had one of himself being sworn in as POTUS.
Old 9th January 2022, 12:37 AM   #31
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I asked because you seem so sure about what 'fighters' would determine is the 'defining moment' as if you know how they all think. I don't think you do; you only know what you think.
I don't recall using the hilited word. If it makes you happy, I'll include a paragraph at the end of my posts to the effect of "This post solely contains the opinion of the poster. The poster does not represent the opinions of anyone else. Not that anyone really does, so it is kind of pointless to have to say when posting among adults." Better?

Quote:
I doubt Nixon had a picture of Kennedy being sworn but I'm damn sure he had one of himself being sworn in as POTUS.
I have no opinions on Nixon's decorating tastes or motivational imagery. He could have had one of those cats hanging from a tree branch captioned "Hang In There, Baby" for all I know.

Old 9th January 2022, 12:48 AM   #32
Warp12
Illuminator

As an aside, Louis and Schmeling had a bond outside of the ring. That is what I prefer to think about:

Quote:
Louis and Schmeling developed a friendship outside the ring, which endured until Louis' death on April 12, 1981. Their rivalry and friendship was the focus of the 1978 TV movie Ring of Passion. Louis got a job as a greeter at the Caesars Palace hotel in Las Vegas, and Schmeling flew to visit him every year. Louis was reportedly so in need of money, but too damaged to box anymore, so the former champion took up professional wrestling to make ends meet. Schmeling reportedly also sent Louis money in Louis' later years and covered a part of the costs of Louis' funeral, at which he was a pallbearer. Schmeling died 24 years later on February 2, 2005 at the age of 99. He was ranked 55 on The Ring's list of 100 greatest punchers of all time in 2003.

Last edited by Warp12; 9th January 2022 at 01:10 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2022, 12:52 AM   #33
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
As an aside, Louis and Schmeling had a bond outside of the ring. That is what I prefer to think about:
This made me smile.

Old 9th January 2022, 01:01 AM   #34
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

This made me smile.
Yes, a good story. I was brought up with boxing and heard stories like this on my father’s lap.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th January 2022, 01:14 AM   #35
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I don't recall using the hilited word. If it makes you happy, I'll include a paragraph at the end of my posts to the effect of "This post solely contains the opinion of the poster. The poster does not represent the opinions of anyone else. Not that anyone really does, so it is kind of pointless to have to say when posting among adults." Better?

I have no opinions on Nixon's decorating tastes or motivational imagery. He could have had one of those cats hanging from a tree branch captioned "Hang In There, Baby" for all I know.
I highlighted what you wrote. You made a general statement about fighters. You did not say that was how YOU felt, but how 'A fighter', meaning fighters in general, would . So don't get in a snit because of your poor wording.
Old 9th January 2022, 01:28 AM   #36
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I highlighted what you wrote. You made a general statement about fighters. You did not say that was how YOU felt, but how 'A fighter', meaning fighters in general, would . So don't get in a snit because of your poor wording.
Right. "For the fighter who might identify this way", and you have to pretend that I speak for all members of a group just to be difficult. You are totally not being weird about this.

Old 9th January 2022, 01:47 AM   #37
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Right. "For the fighter who might identify this way", and you have to pretend that I speak for all members of a group just to be difficult. You are totally not being weird about this.
Oh, just stop it. You're not fooling anyone with this kind of nonsense. Grow up and take responsibility for your own poor choice of wording and stop trying to transfer it to me. Stop embarrassing yourself.
Old 9th January 2022, 08:29 AM   #38
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Understood but that's only his claim. He is just Trumptrash and carries the burden of dishonesty of his kind. A Trump supporter is assumed to be dishonest. Their kind aren't like us. They aren't as good us. They aren't Americans. Are there two Americans who can confirm what the Magascum claimed about the painting? I think it's possible that he sees himself as Joe Louis but based only on his claim, we'd need people not of his ilk to confirm it. He's just a lesser class of person.
You're grasping at straws. The entire point of the OP was the message Beck was trying to send. You can claim it's a lie (though you have no evidence), but if what Beck keeps talking about is an inspiring story of a comeback, then that's obviously the message he's trying to send, regardless of how honestly you think he believes it himself.
Old 9th January 2022, 08:39 AM   #39
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

You're grasping at straws. The entire point of the OP was the message Beck was trying to send. You can claim it's a lie (though you have no evidence), but if what Beck keeps talking about is an inspiring story of a comeback, then that's obviously the message he's trying to send, regardless of how honestly you think he believes it himself.
You never cease to amaze with your naive credulousness toward right-wing figures like Beck and Trump.
Old 9th January 2022, 08:39 AM   #40
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

This is getting stupid.

If you want to convey racist intent as the OP suggested, that photo is a piss poor way to do it. The story behind the photo pretty much invalidates that interpretation. It doesn't make any sense to display that photo intending racism, only to walk it back immediately with an interpretation that you never meant to begin with, which goes completely counter to your "true" intention, and which moreover does a far BETTER job of conveying a non-racist message. Forget honesty: that's bad showmanship if you're trying to send some message of racism.

So regardless of what you think Beck feels deep inside (and that's treading on unfalsifiable ground, so I really don't care what you think about that), the simplest explanation AND the explanation with the most evidence for it is that the message he wanted to convey wasn't racist.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics