IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 11th January 2022, 08:34 AM   #1
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Interacting with the police while black

Much of the conversation of police misconduct revolves around high profile killings, but murder is only the most extreme form of misconduct. Lesser abuses are far more common and almost certainly play a larger role in creating an atmosphere of fear and hostility.

A study:

The American racial divide in fear of the police

Quote:
Abstract:

The mission of policing is “to protect and serve,” but recent events suggest that many Americans, and especially Black Americans, do not feel protected from the police. Understanding police-related fear is important because it may impact civilians’ health, daily lives, and policy attitudes. To examine the prevalence, sources, and consequences of both personal and altruistic fear of the police, we surveyed a nationwide sample (N = 1,150), which included comparable numbers of Black (N = 517) and White (N = 492) respondents. Most White respondents felt safe, but most Black respondents lived in fear of the police killing them and hurting their family members. Approximately half of Black respondents preferred to be robbed or burglarized than to have unprovoked contact with officers. The racial divide in fear was mediated by past experiences with police mistreatment. In turn, fear mediated the effects of race and past mistreatment on support for defunding the police and intentions to have “the talk” with family youths about the need to distrust and avoid officers. The deep American racial divide in police-related fear represents a racially disparate health crisis and a primary obstacle to law enforcement's capacity to serve all communities equitably.
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...745-9125.12298

The author summarizes the work in this twitter thread:

https://twitter.com/JustinTPickett/s...48911334477826

Quote:
Both personal and altruistic fear are ubiquitous among Black Americans, regardless of socioeconomic status or sex. However, both types of fear are ubiquitously absent among White Americans. In every subgroup, most Black respondents are afraid, but most Whites are not.

Black Americans report more past experience with police mistreatment, and this partly accounts for why they are so much more afraid than White Americans of the police. By contrast, we find no evidence that news exposure is significantly related to either type of fear.
Quote:
A Rawlsian cost–benefit experiment reveals that 45% of Black respondents prefer to be robbed or burglarized than to be questioned by the police “without good reason,” and 52% prefer it over being searched. Confrontational police stops, then, may be as traumatizing as crime.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 11th January 2022 at 08:37 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 11:53 AM   #2
Cain
Straussian

Abstract:
Quote:
Approximately half of Black respondents preferred to be robbed or burglarized than to have unprovoked contact with officers.
That is an interesting preference for so many people, although I do wonder how it breaks down among those who have had both the experience of being robbed and the experience of unprovoked contact with police officers. A person might have an unexamined preference for not getting vaccinated and dealing with COVID through natural immunity, or having a traumatic brain injury over losing a limb. In a Rawlsian thought experiment, participants are rationally informed.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 12:09 PM   #3
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

You mean after the last couple of years, Blacks are more afraid of the police than Whites? That does not surprise me; everybody was more afraid of sharks after Jaws came out. But that they are more afraid of the police than crime? That's just demented.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 12:24 PM   #4
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Abstract:

That is an interesting preference for so many people, although I do wonder how it breaks down among those who have had both the experience of being robbed and the experience of unprovoked contact with police officers.
Why would you assume that these people do not have experience with being robbed and interacting with the cops? I have had both such experiences and I don't think I am especially unique.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 01:41 PM   #5
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
You mean after the last couple of years, Blacks are more afraid of the police than Whites?
They are equally afraid of cops and whites.

Quote:
That does not surprise me; everybody was more afraid of sharks after Jaws came out.
Jaws being a work of fiction is the big difference.

Quote:
But that they are more afraid of the police than crime? That's just demented.
The problem is that in many cases, it is the police committing the crime. Or simply being born a certain complexion is a crime.
Old 11th January 2022, 01:47 PM   #6
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

You mean after the last couple of years, Blacks are more afraid of the police than Whites? That does not surprise me; everybody was more afraid of sharks after Jaws came out. But that they are more afraid of the police than crime? That's just demented.
Irellevant... movies about sharks won't get you shot dead for having air fresheners hanging from your rear view mirror.

I'm not black - I'm not even brown, and I would not want to have ANY interaction whatsoever with American cops... too much chance of running into one that is poorly trained, arrogant and corrupt. Given the sheer number of black people murdered by cops in the US for going about their own legitimate business while Black, I'm not surprised that Blacks don't want to have any interaction with them.

If you don't understand that, then you are being wilfully blind.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
Those who agree with me may not always be right, but nonetheless, I admire their astuteness.
Cullen Hightower

Last edited by smartcooky; 11th January 2022 at 01:48 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 01:56 PM   #7
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Why would you assume that these people do not have experience with being robbed and interacting with the cops? I have had both such experiences and I don't think I am especially unique.
Because there's no reason to believe that that's true for all of them. I'm glad I could clarify this for you.
Cain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 02:13 PM   #8
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Because there's no reason to believe that that's true for all of them. I'm glad I could clarify this for you.
Sounds like you reject the whole statistical fact of driving while black and others that make the odds of them not having interactions with the police a virtual certainty. But never let others experiences or mere statistics get in the way of what you want to believe.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 04:00 PM   #9
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

I have to say, as a white guy, my feelings on how black people should feel about the police mean pretty much nothing.

On the other hand, when my friends discuss how they have to talk to their black kids about handling the police, my answer is to listen to them.
Old 11th January 2022, 06:07 PM   #10
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

But that they are more afraid of the police than crime? That's just demented.
If you come home and find someone has made off with your TV and some other valuables, the interaction between you and that burglar is essentially over - they took the TV, and now they're gone. You don't have to worry about them coming back and harming you.

If you call the police though you get to be deathly afraid of what consequence every single look you give, word you say, or movement or gesture you make is going to bring, for as long as that interaction lasts. Police have killed black people who called them to ask for help or report being a victim of a crime. The police have killed black people whose safety they were called to check up on. Police have killed black people who live next door to a crime scene, or down the block and weren't even aware of the police presence until one suddenly vaulted over the fence and shot at them for looking like someone else. Is that a risk worth bringing onto yourself because someone stole your Xbox while you were at work? Sure most police interactions don't end that way; but nobody ever died because their TV got stolen.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 07:32 PM   #11
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
If you come home and find someone has made off with your TV and some other valuables, the interaction between you and that burglar is essentially over - they took the TV, and now they're gone. You don't have to worry about them coming back and harming you.

If you call the police though you get to be deathly afraid of what consequence every single look you give, word you say, or movement or gesture you make is going to bring, for as long as that interaction lasts. Police have killed black people who called them to ask for help or report being a victim of a crime. The police have killed black people whose safety they were called to check up on. Police have killed black people who live next door to a crime scene, or down the block and weren't even aware of the police presence until one suddenly vaulted over the fence and shot at them for looking like someone else. Is that a risk worth bringing onto yourself because someone stole your Xbox while you were at work? Sure most police interactions don't end that way; but nobody ever died because their TV got stolen.
Police have killed Black people when they have entered the Black person's home (thinking it was their own) and shot and killed the owner while he was sitting on his couch eating ice cream

Police have killed Black people when they have executed a no-knock warrant on the wrong house, looking for a person they already had in custody.

Yeah, I can fully understand why black people do not trust Police, and want nothing to do with any of them. I'm not even Black, but if I was living in America, I wouldn't want to have anything to do with them either.
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
Those who agree with me may not always be right, but nonetheless, I admire their astuteness.
Cullen Hightower
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2022, 07:46 PM   #12
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I dare say Indigenous Australians have quite a different view of the police than I do, too.
Old 11th January 2022, 07:56 PM   #13
Cain
Straussian

Sounds like you reject the whole statistical fact of driving while black and others that make the odds of them not having interactions with the police a virtual certainty. But never let others experiences or mere statistics get in the way of what you want to believe.
Nah, it sounds like you're terrible at making inferences (though I would prefer not to generalize). I am inclined to believe it's common for Blacks to deal with police harassment. If anything, I'd assume getting robbed is less common. But that's neither here nor there. Researchers asked respondents what they "would" prefer. Important, that.

Last edited by Cain; 11th January 2022 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11th January 2022, 08:25 PM   #14
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Since someone brought up statistics.....

1. Blacks are five times more likely to be arrested than whites

2. Blacks are three times more likely than whites to be shot and killed by Police

https://thehill.com/changing-america...ed-than-whites

3. A Black person is five times more likely to be stopped without just cause than a white person.

4. A Black man is twice as likely to be stopped without just cause than a Black woman.

5. Only 5% of illicit drug users are Black, yet Blacks represent 29% of those arrested and 33% of those incarcerated for drug offenses.

6. As of October 2016, there have been 1900 exonerations of the wrongfully accused, 47% of the exonerated were Black

7. Black defendants are 22% more likely to have wrongful convictions involving police misconduct that eventually result in exoneration.

https://naacp.org/resources/criminal-justice-fact-sheet

And just to reinforce PT's point about driving while black

8. Black drivers were about 20 percent more likely to be stopped than white drivers relative to their share of the residential population.

9. Black drivers were searched about 1.5 to 2 times as often as white drivers, while they were less likely to be carrying drugs, guns, or other illegal contraband compared to their white peers.

https://www.nyu.edu/about/news-publi...by-police.html

Some people don't realise its always been this way?

Police racism not getting worse, it's getting filmed.
Cullen Hightower

Last edited by smartcooky; 11th January 2022 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12th January 2022, 03:57 AM   #15
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Nah, it sounds like you're terrible at making inferences (though I would prefer not to generalize). I am inclined to believe it's common for Blacks to deal with police harassment. If anything, I'd assume getting robbed is less common. But that's neither here nor there. Researchers asked respondents what they "would" prefer. Important, that.
Oh so they are just silly and don't know how good they have it? What exactly is your reason to be so indignant about their feelings and have to assert that they are not based on personal experience of those involved?
Old 12th January 2022, 07:31 AM   #16
Lithrael
Master Poster

Kids burgled my place, made a mess looking for cash, stole $50 in change and one of my favorite Transformers. Cops think I’m a trouble maker for some damn reason and I’ve had about 1/10 interactions where it seemed like they might actually be trying to be helpful to the community (as opposed to pulling people over to fish for **** to get them in trouble for). So far, cops have made me cry and criminals have not. Now I may be living a charmed life as far as the criminals part, but the cops have, unforced, made a very bad impression on me.

ETA: I still kind of wish they’d asked to search my car the day they had me pulled over and called backup on me for ‘seeming overly upset over a seatbelt violation’. I had 200 pounds of comic books in my trunk.

Last edited by Lithrael; 12th January 2022 at 07:40 AM.
Lithrael is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 10:23 AM   #17
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post

Let's grant all the highlighted (and ignore that police have killed Whites in the same manner). Do those things happen at significant enough frequency to make fearing them sensibly outweigh your fear of being killed by a criminal? The FBI's Uniform Crime Reports for 2019 (the most recent I could find) shows that 7,484 Blacks were murdered that year. By comparison, according to Statista, 282 Blacks were killed by law enforcement that year. Thus, a Black in America was 26.5 times as likely to be killed by a criminal than by a cop, and of course the majority of the Blacks killed by cops aren't people who called them for help or who lived next door to a crime scene, but criminals themselves who are engaged in an effort to kill the cop who ends up killing them. BTW the comparable figures for Whites are 5782 murdered and 442 killed by cop, so Whites are only 13.1 times as likely to be killed by a criminal than by a cop. Sounds like they are the ones who should be worried.

If Blacks really were more afraid of the cops than they were of criminals, they would presumably support defund the police, right? But they don't, not according to the latest polls. In fact they generally support more funding than less by a 38%-23% margin (the remainder support stable levels of funding):

Quote:
Views on police funding continue to differ widely by race and ethnicity, age and political party. White (49%) and Hispanic (46%) adults are more likely than Black (38%) or Asian (37%) adults to say spending on police in their area should be increased. Black adults (23%) are more likely to say that police funding should be decreased than those who are White (13%) or Hispanic (16%). Some 22% of Asian adults say spending should be reduced, which is statistically higher than the share among White adults but not higher than the share among Hispanic adults.
I do get it to an extent; that's why I mentioned the irrational fear of sharks around the time of Jaws.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 05:04 PM   #18
mgidm86
Philosopher

Maybe they support more funding so they can get better trained cops.
Old 12th January 2022, 06:17 PM   #19
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Here's a good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PflfvL-Y1As&t=536s

Basic traffic stop due to expired plates, driver freaks out and makes things ten times worse for herself, pleading phobia of cops.
Old 12th January 2022, 09:13 PM   #20
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

I came home from vacation several days ago to find that one of my water pipes under the house had cracked from the cold. I was going in and out of the house and the back yard with a flashlight for a while making repairs.

While I was waiting for the glue to cure, the local police showed up at my door to tell me that a neighbor had reported a burglar. I told the police I had just arrived home from out of state and was making repairs.

He could see the path in the snow from my back door to the access under the house. He asked for my name and declined to see my ID when I offered. The only thing in his hands was a flashlight.

I've never had anything to fear from any of the police I've interacted with over the decades. When I read about police brutality it's like "WTF?". I've lived a very sheltered existence it seems.

Ranb

Last edited by Ranb; 12th January 2022 at 09:36 PM.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 09:50 PM   #21
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
I came home from vacation several days ago to find that one of my water pipes under the house had cracked from the cold. I was going in and out of the house and the back yard with a flashlight for a while making repairs.

While I was waiting for the glue to cure, the local police showed up at my door to tell me that a neighbor had reported a burglar. I told the police I had just arrived home from out of state and was making repairs.

He could see the path in the snow from my back door to the access under the house. He asked for my name and declined to see my ID when I offered. The only thing in his hands was a flashlight.

I've never had anything to fear from any of the police I've interacted with over the decades. When I read about police brutality it's like "WTF?". I've lived a very sheltered existence it seems.

Ranb

Let me guess.... you're white, and you live in a "good" white neighbourhood.

Try being black while delivering Christmas money to your family in a black neighbourhood, and armed with a..... cell phone!

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/31/u...yor/index.html
Cullen Hightower

Last edited by smartcooky; 12th January 2022 at 09:52 PM.
Old 12th January 2022, 10:04 PM   #22
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Lithrael View Post
Kids burgled my place, made a mess looking for cash, stole $50 in change and one of my favorite Transformers. Cops think I’m a trouble maker for some damn reason and I’ve had about 1/10 interactions where it seemed like they might actually be trying to be helpful to the community (as opposed to pulling people over to fish for **** to get them in trouble for). So far, cops have made me cry and criminals have not. Now I may be living a charmed life as far as the criminals part, but the cops have, unforced, made a very bad impression on me.

ETA: I still kind of wish they’d asked to search my car the day they had me pulled over and called backup on me for ‘seeming overly upset over a seatbelt violation’. I had 200 pounds of comic books in my trunk.
I’m not sure I understand this. Are you saying that police should have taken seriously a burglary by kids of $50?

If so, you do not understanding policing at all.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 11:14 PM   #23
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

Try being black while delivering Christmas money to your family in a black neighbourhood, and armed with a..... cell phone!

And according to Statista that is 1 of the 165 Blacks killed by law enforcement in the United States in 2021. In a country where there are approximately 42 million Blacks. Nobody is saying that injustices don't occur (and that cop is facing murder charges), but they are actually quite rare. Like shark attacks.
Old 12th January 2022, 11:33 PM   #24
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I’m not sure I understand this. Are you saying that police should have taken seriously a burglary by kids of $50?

If so, you do not understanding policing at all.

I would say they should take it very seriously. They broke into somebody's home. That's the crime. They will surely do it again. If somebody had been home there might have been violence, against the resident or by the resident against them. The value of what they happened to take is secondary.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2022, 11:39 PM   #25
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
I would say they should take it very seriously. They broke into somebody's home. That's the crime. They will surely do it again. If somebody had been home there might have been violence, against the resident or by the resident against them. The value of what they happened to take is secondary.
Another one who does not understand policing. Do you seriously believe that police have the resources to investigate every $50 non violent crime? That’s a ******* joke.

We have a very good police force where I live. We have had petty theft from our home more than once. I reported them, but that was it. I would not dream of wasting police time by requesting any more.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 12th January 2022 at 11:41 PM.
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 12:53 AM   #26
Warp12
Illuminator

And according to Statista that is 1 of the 165 Blacks killed by law enforcement in the United States in 2021. In a country where there are approximately 42 million Blacks. Nobody is saying that injustices don't occur (and that cop is facing murder charges), but they are actually quite rare. Like shark attacks.
I believe that the number of unarmed blacks killed was likely under 25, if other years are anything to go by. As you say, out of 40+ million blacks, and 10+ million police arrests. The way people push this as an epidemic is as dishonest as anything you will find in politics.

Of course, when a minority group is vastly overrepresented in most crime stats, I wouldn't expect them to welcome cops, either. I mean, at least 8x the thefts and 6x the murders per capita, to start, points to a cultural issue as much as anything else.

I mean, in some neighborhoods they likely fear retaliation for interaction with police. You see police practically begging for tips on crimes that were witnessed in broad daylight. But none are coming...after all, "snitches get stitches". That seems to be a cultural mindset in many areas.

Last edited by Warp12; 13th January 2022 at 01:38 AM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 02:06 AM   #27
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Just like school shootings eh? Statistically not significant enough to bother doing anything about.

There is no way that a police interaction with ordinary, unarmed citizens such as in a traffic stop or a person walking down the street should ever, ever result in those unarmed citizens becoming a victim of murder-by-cop, but it does, and it happens in USA more than in any other civilized country, and it happens more to blacks than any other racial group.

Does it ever occur to people who think like you that your "do nothing" attitudes actually enable these things to happen?
Cullen Hightower
Old 13th January 2022, 07:01 AM   #28
Donal
Illuminator

Just a reminder: these statistics are reported by law enforcement agencies themselves. There is no standard or quality assurance when it comes to reporting.

Also, there have been documented instances of police discouraging people from reporting small property crimes specifically because the police have little chance of solving them. Precincts in the NYPD get caught with this every few years because they want their numbers to look good in COMPSTAT.

It's basically a risk vs reward analysis. If police can not really do anything other than issue a report for your insurance claim but inviting them brings armed people with an incentive to arrest someone into your home, it is not a difficult calculus.
Old 13th January 2022, 08:14 AM   #29
Ranb
Penultimate Amazing

No kidding. What do you think I meant by living a sheltered life?
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 09:43 AM   #30
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
I believe that the number of unarmed blacks killed was likely under 25, if other years are anything to go by. As you say, out of 40+ million blacks, and 10+ million police arrests. The way people push this as an epidemic is as dishonest as anything you will find in politics.

Of course, when a minority group is vastly overrepresented in most crime stats, I wouldn't expect them to welcome cops, either. I mean, at least 8x the thefts and 6x the murders per capita, to start, points to a cultural issue as much as anything else.

I mean, in some neighborhoods they likely fear retaliation for interaction with police. You see police practically begging for tips on crimes that were witnessed in broad daylight. But none are coming...after all, "snitches get stitches". That seems to be a cultural mindset in many areas.
Higher crime figures can be found with nearly any minority group in a larger culture.

Change countries, you find it is a different demographic group. So perhaps socioeconomic factors are more reliable indicators than "culture" (and I have to say, I usually just assume this is a covert way of saying it's "genetic").

For related reasons, such maligned groups find interaction with institutional authority quite dreadful and their reasons don't strike me as invalid or to be so casually dismissed.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 09:59 AM   #31
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Yes, exactly like shark attacks. Just some random anomaly with no larger context that demonstrates a deep-rooted problem with the way minority communities are treated by law enforcement. Great analogy
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 10:03 AM   #32
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Just like school shootings eh? Statistically not significant enough to bother doing anything about.

There is no way that a police interaction with ordinary, unarmed citizens such as in a traffic stop or a person walking down the street should ever, ever result in those unarmed citizens becoming a victim of murder-by-cop, but it does, and it happens in USA more than in any other civilized country, and it happens more to blacks than any other racial group.

Does it ever occur to people who think like you that your "do nothing" attitudes actually enable these things to happen?
If there's one thing that the last couple of years has taught us it's that conservatives simply do not value human life, not even their own. They're a death cult. It's not surprising that they give less than a **** about the lives of black people.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 10:05 AM   #33
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Good thing murder is the only bad thing cops can do!

Quote:
The second model, the victimization model, is straightforward. People with past personal or vicarious victimization experience should be more afraid (Farrall et al., 2009; Lane et al., 2014). Vicarious experience may be especially frightening because “it allows one's imagination full scope without perhaps the same urgency to find some coping strategy” (Hale, 1996, p. 105). In the policing context, this means that past personal or vicarious experience with police mistreatment should increase fear (Schuck et al., 2008). Compared with other racial/ethnic groups, Black Americans report the most personal and vicarious experience with police mistreatment (Dennison & Finkeldey, 2021; Rosenbaum et al., 2005; Weitzer & Tuch, 2006). For example, 71 percent of Black Americans know someone who was treated unfairly by police, compared with 51 percent of Asian Americans, 48 percent of Hispanic Americans, and 34 percent of White Americans (Momolu, 2020). By extension, the victimization model indicates that an indirect relationship should exist between race and fear of the police via experienced mistreatment. It also indicates that a racial gradient in fear should exist, with Black Americans being the most afraid, White Americans the least afraid, and other racial/ethnic minorities (e.g., Asian and Hispanic Americans) falling in between these extremes.
Old 13th January 2022, 10:06 AM   #34
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I love how everyone on the right has black crime statistics memorized and ready to go at a moments notice.
Old 13th January 2022, 10:11 AM   #35
Warp12
Illuminator

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Good thing murder is the only bad thing cops can do!

Quote:
For example, 71 percent of Black Americans know someone who was treated unfairly by police,
Is the highlighted supposed to be a joke, or is that what we are calling evidence, these days? Sounds a little subjective, to me. I bet it might even be influenced by a society that seeks to continuously paint certain groups as "victims".
Old 13th January 2022, 10:13 AM   #36
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I love how everyone on the right has black crime statistics memorized and ready to go at a moments notice.
I never thought of ponderingturtle and smartcooky as being on the right.
Old 13th January 2022, 10:21 AM   #37
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Is the highlighted supposed to be a joke, or is that what we are calling evidence, these days? Sounds a little subjective, to me. I bet it might even be influenced by a society that seeks to continuously paint certain groups as "victims".
Yes, my mistake, they should stick to objective measures of fear.

It's going to cost a lot of money to install Fearometers across the country, but it's probably worth it to collect reliable data.
Old 13th January 2022, 01:44 PM   #38
Cain
Straussian

Oh so they are just silly and don't know how good they have it?
I don't know where you're getting this from. Where did I suggest such a thing?

Quote:
What exactly is your reason to be so indignant about their feelings and have to assert that they are not based on personal experience of those involved?
Another bizarro line. What indignance? Your reading incomprehension is off the charts.
Old 13th January 2022, 01:45 PM   #39
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Why, it's his own fault for being a black man out after dark, of course! He should have had the good sense to spray himself with white paint so he could be properly seen!

"Freedom of choice is what you've got. Freedom from choice is what you want." -- Devo
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 01:46 PM   #40
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Another one who does not understand policing. Do you seriously believe that police have the resources to investigate every $50 non violent crime? That’s a ******* joke.
Obviously the police aren't going to make it a high priority. But I repeat, the crime is breaking into homes, not stealing 50 bucks. If the police get multiple reports about a neighborhood gang breaking into homes, they might make an effort to stop to it. Maybe it's different in gun-free Australia, but in the U.S. a burglary can easily escalate to deadly violence, either against a resident who happens to be home or by the resident who surprises a burglary in progress. That's what cops would try to prevent.

Last edited by Bob001; 13th January 2022 at 01:49 PM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events