IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Florida incidents , road rage incidents , shooting incidents

Old 13th January 2022, 05:49 PM   #41
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Hey, BMW makes a fine car. It's not their fault tiny ego weirdos like them so much.
Given what we know about marketing, I'm pretty sure it is their fault.
Old 13th January 2022, 06:36 PM   #42
ZiprHead
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Well, I drive a Prius, so don't **** with me.
(Backing away slowly)

Sorry...

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2022, 06:39 PM   #43
ZiprHead
Critical Thinker

Stolen.

IIDB is back, baby!
ZiprHead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 06:23 AM   #44
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
How much was it, if you don't mind me asking?
I paid about $300 for it, if I can recall. It was a used Taurus PT-92 9mm pistol of late 80's vintage.
Old 14th January 2022, 06:34 AM   #45
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Dude imagine if you could hook the taser directly to the Prius's batteries..
Old 14th January 2022, 07:23 AM   #46
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
No one has mentioned alcohol. Not sure if the autopsy result will be released but I'd bet on it showing DUI. And I'd bet in the previous incident the cops didn't test for intoxication.
That might be the case, that John Kuczwanski was intoxicated. Because his behavior was totally over-the-top. From the news report:
Quote:
Kuczwanski rammed his BMW into the Prius on the driver’s door, and began pushing the car sideways in the parking lot...Kuczwanski then shot a gun at the white Prius, according to the sources.
A mental health issue might explain it, too. Kuczwanski was completely out of control. There is no way a rational person could justify reacting that way.

I do feel sorry for his family. His wife, Rebekah Kuczwanski, posted on Twitter:
Quote:
“He was on his way home early to pick us up for a farewell dinner for our daughter,” she wrote. “He called to say he was on his way to beat traffic. He was excited for dinner and to see us. He told us he loved us then never came home.”
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 12:25 PM   #47
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
It's surprising that a nut job like that could hold a professional job. I mean, how did he get that far without like eating the face of someone who expressed disapproval of his budget proposal for the upcoming fiscal year?
Weapons are not permitted inside the Florida State Capitol. Not being allowed to carry a hammer makes all the nails just kind of disappear it seems.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 12:33 PM   #48
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Dude imagine if you could hook the taser directly to the Prius's batteries..
You'd have to do it early in the trip or you'd end up just giving them the equivalent of a static shock.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 12:45 PM   #49
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

What a ******* dumbass.

I especially like his wife claiming he was assassinated. Lady, people who are assassinated don't tend to open fire first.

At least she found someone of equal intellect to marry.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 12:48 PM   #50
plague311
Great minds think...

I wonder if they get any form of insurance payout? I understand if they did for the initial vehicle accident, but he initiated his own death.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 03:17 PM   #51
mgidm86
Philosopher

Quote:
“He was on his way home early to pick us up for a farewell dinner for our daughter,” she wrote. “He called to say he was on his way to beat traffic. He was excited for dinner and to see us. He told us he loved us then never came home.”

Understatement.
Old 14th January 2022, 03:39 PM   #52
Warp12
Illuminator

Quote:
The investigation into what occurred is still ongoing.

There are conflicting reports about what happened, though it appears events escalated to fatal violence following a traffic incident.
Something with the chain of events seems odd. First, what was the positioning of the vehicles that led to him ramming the Prius in the driver side door, and pushing it? Was he blocked in? Second, if he was shot through the windshield, how was he engaging in the gunfire? With his left hand out the window?

Obviously they must have plenty of evidence outside of the testimony of the gunfight winner. The whole scenario seems odd.

ETA: Not quite sure how much evidence they do have. Police are asking for any witnesses and those who may have video evidence to come forth, to help with the investIgation.

Last edited by Warp12; 14th January 2022 at 04:11 PM.
Warp12 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 04:21 PM   #53
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I wonder if they get any form of insurance payout? I understand if they did for the initial vehicle accident, but he initiated his own death.
Life insurance usually pays unless there's evidence of actual suicide, and not even that after a waiting period. But I suspect the Prius driver has a huge claim against his attacker's estate.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 07:24 PM   #54
Arisia
Graduate Poster

'A man's Prius is his castle'?

We're ending up in Florida during a road trip in the near future (Ormond Beach is the turnaround point)... driving a new Prius Prime... think we'll have any trouble if we stay on the Atlantic coast of FL?
Arisia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 07:32 PM   #55
Spyke
Critical Thinker

I paid about $300 for it, if I can recall. It was a used Taurus PT-92 9mm pistol of late 80's vintage.
I used to have one those, god I loved that weapon. Fit my hand perfectly and was very point and shoot, didn't require concentrated aiming.

Thanks for the memories. Dad was a Range Officer with Prohibited Weapon permits so I grew up around thousands of weapons, unlike most of my Canadian friends.

Last edited by Spyke; 14th January 2022 at 07:33 PM.
Spyke is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2022, 12:15 AM   #56
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
A good guy with a gun will always stop a.......
... Republican legislator?
Old 15th January 2022, 06:27 PM   #57
ZiprHead
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Warp12 View Post
Something with the chain of events seems odd. First, what was the positioning of the vehicles that led to him ramming the Prius in the driver side door, and pushing it? Was he blocked in? Second, if he was shot through the windshield, how was he engaging in the gunfire? With his left hand out the window?
Actually that's exactly how i'm envisioning how it went down. You're not allowed to leave the scene of an accident even if you feel the need to shoot your way out.

IIDB is back, baby!

Last edited by ZiprHead; 15th January 2022 at 06:29 PM.
Old 15th January 2022, 07:34 PM   #58
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Warp12
I really don't give a fat rat's arse how it went down. The gun nut opened fire first and that dick move got him shot dead! Case closed!

I would like to express my thanks to that Prius driver for saving us all from yet another endless, tedious thread where all the gun apologists from the Kyle Rittenhouse thread would have been here arguing that Kuczwanski was somehow rightly in fear for his life after the accident and was fully justified in shooting at the Prius driver.

Its a pity something like this didn't happen in Kenosha on August 25, 2020 - a couple of other families might not be missing their sons and partners!
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list. This will benefit both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste time talking to you... simples!
Those who agree with me may not always be right, but nonetheless, I admire their astuteness.
Cullen Hightower
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2022, 07:45 PM   #59
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm totally shocked that as in every scenario where the person on the right is the obvious bad guy the situation will "seem odd" to your standard rollcall of RightTrolls.
Old 15th January 2022, 09:12 PM   #60
newyorkguy
Penultimate Amazing

I'm totally shocked that as in every scenario where the person on the right is the obvious bad guy the situation will "seem odd" to your standard rollcall of RightTrolls.
It's like waiting for the other shoe to drop.
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:43 AM   #61
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
It says a lot about the state of things there that both of them were armed when they were just out driving somewhere, and then felt that a shoot-out was the first and only correct way to settle their differences. Is driving with a gun and a piss-poor attitude mandatory or something in Florida? I am NEVER going there!
This is why I snort derisively when gun nuts crow about all that "law abiding citizen" crap. One is law abiding until one is not. In the heat of the moment, having a gun ready to hand is just asking for regrets. And I think the stats show that the erstwhile "good guy with a gun" ends up killing a family member, or himself, or gets killed by another's gun, before he takes out the "bad guy with a gun." In other words, this self defense strategy is actually more inimical to health than is staying clear of guns.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:47 AM   #62
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I thought an armed society is a polite society......
Another 'meme' of the Right. Really, an armed society is a paranoid society.

Why are robbers in the US so much more quick to start blasting than in most other places? Because most of the 300 million guns overflowing the country are in the possession of their victims.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:52 AM   #63
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Obviously they must have plenty of evidence outside of the testimony of the gunfight winner. The whole scenario seems odd.

ETA: Not quite sure how much evidence they do have. Police are asking for any witnesses and those who may have video evidence to come forth, to help with the investIgation.
We'll probably never know because he's dead and can't tell his side of it. Either the man who shot him was right, or he has the good sense to lie about it and paint himself the victim.

Considering his prior arrest for armed road rage, seems like the given story is pretty plausible.
Old Yesterday, 04:11 AM   #64
catsmate
No longer the 1

We'll probably never know because he's dead and can't tell his side of it. Either the man who shot him was right, or he has the good sense to lie about it and paint himself the victim.

Considering his prior arrest for armed road rage, seems like the given story is pretty plausible.
No dashcam footage?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:14 AM   #65
Lurch
Graduate Poster

The Right lionizes Rittenhouse (or is it Rittenhaus?), but will likely denigrate, or at best ignore, Mr. Prius.
Old Yesterday, 04:54 AM   #66
SuburbanTurkey
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I thought an armed society is a polite society......
I suppose there's a grim calculus to this. Instead of spending a lifetime committing a series of unarmed road rage assaults, this guy's career was cut short. Because he had access to a gun, he was bound to remove himself from society, either by being shot dead or by getting locked up for the inevitable murder.
Old Yesterday, 07:22 AM   #67
dann
Penultimate Amazing

He may have bought his gun at Ned Flanders' Leftorium. Or he may have been dumb enough to shoot through his own windshield. He was dumb enough to deserve getting himself shot, so it doesn't seem odd at all.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM   #68
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Only a matter of time until we discover that the Prius driver was "no angel."
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM   #69
malbui
Beauf

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
Only a matter of time until we discover that the Prius driver was "no angel."
A minor drugs conviction 30 years ago would be sufficient for smearing.
Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM   #70
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Again it's a flex. It's intentional. The people who spent a year explaining to us how Rittenhouse was the savior of civilization will now act shocked, simply shocked I say, at this incident happened, the hypocrisy hanging in the air as one big chip just daring us to knock it off their shoulders.
Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM   #71
sackett
Philosopher

It's mildly gratifying that Krotchbumstead or whatever he called himself was a repluglican, and not all that surprising either, but (you knew a but was coming next) he could have been anything: a free silver advocate,
a falangist, a flat or flattish earther, a bircher -- not a Dem, probably, not in Ron Death's gummint, but whatever.

His problem was between his ears. I wonder if the autopsy will reveal a brain tumor.

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM   #72
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by sackett View Post
His problem was between his ears. I wonder if the autopsy will reveal a brain tumor.
I wonder if it reveals a brain.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events