IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 14th January 2022, 10:02 AM   #1
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Jules Verne wrote "From Earth to the Moon"

Verne envisioned a huge cannon firing a capsule onto the moon. Many years later a man named Jerry Bull envisioned a cannon putting satillilites into orbit and perhaps to other regions of outer space. Professor Bull made the mistake of designing and planning to build a cannon large enough to shell Israel and he was mysteriously shot dead.

Could a large cannon get us to the moon and perhaps even further?
Old 14th January 2022, 10:20 AM   #2
wollery
Protected by Samurai Hedgehogs!

Yes, but anyone inside would end up as a smear on the back wall of the capsule.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 11:14 AM   #3
Hans
Philosopher

Quote:
PICKEY, Pickey pickey
Hans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 12:17 PM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Picky*
Old 14th January 2022, 12:36 PM   #5
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by wollery View Post
Not if you fill the capsule with salt water. The ballisto-naut would have to hold his breath fro just a few milliseconds.

If totally saturated, the smear would be on the front wall.
Old 14th January 2022, 12:59 PM   #6
wollery

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
Not if you fill the capsule with salt water. The ballisto-naut would have to hold his breath fro just a few milliseconds.
Then the smears would be on the inside of their ribcage and skull.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin
wollery is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 01:38 PM   #7
Prometheus
Acolyte of Víðarr

I vote we use Jeff Bezos and William Shatner to test the system.
Don't be offended. I'm not calling you a serial killer. -- Ron Tomkins.
Prometheus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 01:52 PM   #8
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

An electromagnetic acceleration system could have sufficiently low G force if the track was long enough - up the slope of the Kilimanjaro would be a possibility.

- Robert M. Pirsig
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 03:04 PM   #9
Roger Ramjets
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Could a large cannon get us to the moon and perhaps even further?
Yes, if you make the barrel long enough.

Escape velocity of the Earth is ~11.2 km/s (25,000 mph). The human body can withstand 10g (98m/s) acceleration for a minute or so. At 10g it takes ~115 seconds (just under 2 minutes) to reach escape velocity. During this time the 'shell' will travel 648 km inside the barrel. So you need a cannon with a 648 km (403 mile) long barrel.

That might be doable with a railgun or maglev.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg startram.jpg (42.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 14th January 2022, 03:12 PM   #10
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

https://xkcd.com/1053/
Old 14th January 2022, 03:14 PM   #11
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Picky*
Picky!
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 03:16 PM   #12
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Put the propellant inside the projectile and stabilise it with fins, then you won't need the long barrel.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 05:26 PM   #13
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

The other option is to use the cannon to launch supplies to the moon and other places. These must be able to withstand high G forces. Once these get close to the moon rockets can fire to slow them to land safely.

There could be huge problems to solve to build and run this cannon, but if it is achieved then supplies could be sent to the moon at low cost.
Old 14th January 2022, 07:14 PM   #14
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Ad astra per aspera, whiners.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 07:26 PM   #15
Ryan O'Dine
OD’ing on Damitol

Location: Walk in an ever expanding Archimedean spiral and you'll find me eventually
Sounds like it would be easier to bring the moon to us. Didn't some famous Greek guy say, "Give me a lever and I can take a dump on your cannon"?
Old 14th January 2022, 07:45 PM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ryan O'Dine View Post
Sounds like it would be easier to bring the moon to us. Didn't some famous Greek guy say, "Give me a lever and I can take a dump on your cannon"?
I think it was, "give me a long enough lever, and a fulcrum, and I can fling my poop to the moon."
Old 14th January 2022, 08:01 PM   #17
Pope130
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
An electromagnetic acceleration system could have sufficiently low G force if the track was long enough - up the slope of the Kilimanjaro would be a possibility.
Heinlein used Pikes Peak in "The Man Who Sold The Moon".
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 08:08 PM   #18
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Okay serious question. Where are NASA's white papers studying the possibility of launch guns, and rejecting them in favor of conventional rocketry?

Cainkane is doing a bang-up job of teaching his grandmother to suck eggs, but surely grandma has published at least one treatise on egg sucking by now.

Last edited by theprestige; 14th January 2022 at 08:09 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 08:42 PM   #19
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Okay serious question. Where are NASA's white papers studying the possibility of launch guns, and rejecting them in favor of conventional rocketry?

Cainkane is doing a bang-up job of teaching his grandmother to suck eggs, but surely grandma has published at least one treatise on egg sucking by now.
Someone who actually did some research might be able to give a more nuanced answer, but I think NASA was founded on the basis of rocketry. So such a paper would need to be a retrospective, "Could we have used gunnery instead?" or some precursor organization.

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 09:12 PM   #20
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I think it would be easier to attach a huge rope to the Moon and pull it toward Earth with a giant winch, or maybe just have enough people pull on it like a tug-o-war. Reel it in like a big fish!

"Freedom of choice is what you've got. Freedom from choice is what you want." -- Devo
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th January 2022, 09:33 PM   #21
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
Someone who actually did some research might be able to give a more nuanced answer, but I think NASA was founded on the basis of rocketry. So such a paper would need to be a retrospective, "Could we have used gunnery instead?" or some precursor organization.
Is that really your considered opinion? NASA is too institutionally stupid to consider other launch technologies? NASA, ESA, JAXA? The Soviets and the Chinese? United Launch Alliance, SpaceX, and Blue Origin?

Tell me you hate rocket scientists without telling me you hate rocket scientists.
Old 14th January 2022, 10:22 PM   #22
Cosmic Yak
Illuminator

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.
Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Put the propellant inside the projectile and stabilise it with fins, then you won't need the long barrel.
Yes, you would, because the projectile needs to push against the air behind it. You've described a rocket, and we all know they don't work in the vacuum of space.
Sheesh, I thought this was the science forum!
Old 14th January 2022, 10:30 PM   #23
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Cosmic Yak View Post
Yes, you would, because the projectile needs to push against the air behind it. You've described a rocket, and we all know they don't work in the vacuum of space.
Sheesh, I thought this was the science forum!
you are one of those Aether-Skeptics, aren't you?

- Robert M. Pirsig
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2022, 02:01 AM   #24
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Is that really your considered opinion? NASA is too institutionally stupid to consider other launch technologies? NASA, ESA, JAXA? The Soviets and the Chinese? United Launch Alliance, SpaceX, and Blue Origin?

Tell me you hate rocket scientists without telling me you hate rocket scientists.
That's a different question isn't it? Your first question suggested that NASA initially chose between different technologies. I think it was more of a case of, "Hey, these rockets are useful, let's make NASA to do something with them."

Rather than "OK, we're making NASA now. Should we use that rocketry or something else?"

gnome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2022, 03:03 AM   #25
wollery

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I think it would be easier to attach a huge rope to the Moon and pull it toward Earth with a giant winch, or maybe just have enough people pull on it like a tug-o-war. Reel it in like a big fish!
Skyhook.

Old 15th January 2022, 03:39 AM   #26
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

A thread about one alternative being explored, even got to a testing stage: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=355280
Old 15th January 2022, 07:31 AM   #27
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
A thread about one alternative being explored, even got to a testing stage: http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=355280
In that thread I posted a link that gave lot of background to Gerald Bull's Space Gun. Here it is again for your edification and enjoyment:

http://www.astronautix.com/a/abriefh...rpproject.html

It answers many but not all of the questions raised in both that and this thread.
Old 15th January 2022, 08:45 AM   #28
Pope130
Illuminator

In the H.G. Welles 1936 film "Things To Come" the moon cannon was described as "A lot of guns inside each other that are fired by electricity." That seems to be the way they get around the extreme acceleration problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1936_things_to_come_023.jpg (128.0 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Pope130; 15th January 2022 at 09:15 AM.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2022, 09:35 AM   #29
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Unfortunately the tyranny that is the Rocket Equation sets in. Plus there's the problem with inefficient use of the potential chemical energy of the fuel.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2022, 09:35 AM   #30
wollery

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
In the H.G. Welles 1936 film "Things To Come" the moon cannon was described as "A lot of guns inside each other that are fired by electricity." That seems to be the way they get around the extreme acceleration problem.
I don't see how that works, acceleration is change in velocity divided by time taken. If you have a large change in velocity over a short time frame you get a large acceleration.

The method of producing the acceleration is irrelevant.

Old 15th January 2022, 09:39 AM   #31
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
At the risk of de-snarking your excellent post, that's a really good idea, just not using the moon as an anchor. Build a really strong cable connection from the equator to a mass parked in Clarke Orbit and run cable cars up and down.

Ah, if only I could copyright the title "Murder on the Orbital Express"...
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2022, 09:46 AM   #32
Pope130
Illuminator

I don't see how that works, acceleration is change in velocity divided by time taken. If you have a large change in velocity over a short time frame you get a large acceleration.

The method of producing the acceleration is irrelevant.
A conventional cannon will accelerate the projectile very rapidly at the start, and then the acceleration rate will decrease as the projectile proceeds up the barrel.
An electric cannon could use continuous acceleration over its' whole length, so that the peak acceleration is less for the same final velocity.

As shown in the film the gun is still so short that the crew would not have survived, but the principle is still sound.
Old 15th January 2022, 09:46 AM   #33
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
Got an explanation for how that works? As described, it doesn't address reducing acceleration at all.

ETA: I see you later post attempts to explain it. Note that the numbers for that idea have already been posted in the thread. The "cannon" needs to be 100s of miles long to get in to ranges humans can tolerate.

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 15th January 2022 at 09:49 AM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2022, 09:54 AM   #34
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
At the risk of de-snarking your excellent post, that's a really good idea, just not using the moon as an anchor. Build a really strong cable connection from the equator to a mass parked in Clarke Orbit and run cable cars up and down.

Ah, if only I could copyright the title "Murder on the Orbital Express"...
Not sure if I'm missing your own snarkiness but, space elevators are simply not something to be promoting now. Unfortunately the subject has been colored by a scam company that started in 2003 and spread a ton of lies about how practical space elevators were and how soon they could be delivered. Having said that, the wikipedia article you cited doesn't repeat any of those lies.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2022, 10:31 AM   #35
Ryan O'Dine
OD’ing on Damitol

Location: Walk in an ever expanding Archimedean spiral and you'll find me eventually
Is there some idiotic rule that says astronauts have to survive?

I kind of like the idea of putting french fries in the payload and having potato chips at the other end. So what if you have astronaut chips, too?
Old 15th January 2022, 03:16 PM   #36
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
Not sure if I'm missing your own snarkiness but, space elevators are simply not something to be promoting now. Unfortunately the subject has been colored by a scam company that started in 2003 and spread a ton of lies about how practical space elevators were and how soon they could be delivered. Having said that, the wikipedia article you cited doesn't repeat any of those lies.
Only a little.... But I was replying to shemp.

Basically beanstalks are less of a science problem, and more of an engineering one. One a suitable material for the cable is synthesised in gigametre quantities.....
Old Yesterday, 05:44 AM   #37
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Randolph Carter went by ship.
Old Yesterday, 05:47 AM   #38
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Man, you should have seen us on the way to Venus walking on the Milky Way, it was quite a day.

- Robert M. Pirsig
Old Today, 12:28 AM   #39
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

As mentioned in this thread, the HARP project was successfully sending projectiles into space back in the 60s. Then they stopped, mostly for political and financial reasons.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology