IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags nato , Russia-Finland relations , Russia-Sweden relations , Russia-Ukraine war , vladimir putin

Old 28th February 2022, 12:42 AM   #41
llwyd
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
I am guessing that Finland has had to be a lot more cautious due to them-next-door, as per usual. Always having to tread on eggshells.
Well, actually the foreign minister let it be understood we would better keep to our storage (as it might be needed) - this is absolutely unsually blunt. And the army will most certainly hold on to our anti-tank and anti-air equipment at the moment. For some reason...
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2022, 02:07 AM   #42
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by llwyd View Post
Well, actually the foreign minister let it be understood we would better keep to our storage (as it might be needed) - this is absolutely unsually blunt. And the army will most certainly hold on to our anti-tank and anti-air equipment at the moment. For some reason...
A-ha! (Or should that be 'OHO!')

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2022, 02:34 AM   #43
llwyd
Graduate Poster

A-ha! (Or should that be 'OHO!')
Yeah, very surprising - but now they tell that the army is still looking for suitable armaments to send, I guess there has been quite a bit of public pressure to deliver some arms, any arms...
llwyd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2022, 01:35 PM   #44
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, very surprising - but now they tell that the army is still looking for suitable armaments to send, I guess there has been quite a bit of public pressure to deliver some arms, any arms...
Hopefully Sniper rifles. The Finns make excellent Sniper rifles.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2022, 01:37 PM   #45
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Well, the threats against Finland and Swedan seem to be another Putin move that has backfired badly.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2022, 02:42 PM   #46
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Never threaten a Finn. Finland has now announced it will send the following:

Quote:
Today, on the proposal of the Government, the President of the Republic has decided that Finland will hand over 2,500 assault rifles, 150,000 cartridges for assault rifles, 1,500 lump sums and 70,000 combat food kits to Ukraine as material assistance.
Valioneuvosto

Here's an example of Finnish humour. There is now a campaign to leave dog muck at the Russian Embassy:

Quote:
Antti Eskelinen
@eskelinen_antti
·
15h
Dog owners in #Helsinki #Finland are starting to collect dog **** and deliver it to the
@RussianEmbFinla
. The same approach could be launched around the world.

#Ukraine #Russia
https://twitter.com/eskelinen_antti/...xBkFUS4XtDAixg

In other news, ALKO, the state owned licensed wine, beer and spirits agency, have announced it is taking Russian vodka off the shelves and will try to replace it with Ukrainian brands.

Supermarkets are removing Russian goods. If a barcode begins '406' then it means it was produced in Russia and people are encouraged to avoid such goods in support of Ukraine.

Norway, too, has announced that it is also sending 2,000 assault rifles.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2022, 03:39 PM   #47
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Hopefully Sniper rifles. The Finns make excellent Sniper rifles.
Which ones do you have in mind?

I can think of a number of excellent sniper rifles but not any current models from Finland.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2022, 09:57 PM   #48
Bubba
Philosopher

Good for the Finns !!!

Last edited by Bubba; 28th February 2022 at 09:59 PM.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2022, 10:06 PM   #49
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

Norway, too, has announced that it is also sending 2,000 assault rifles.
Not assault rifles. 2000 M72 Light Anti-Tank Weapons.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2022, 11:11 PM   #50
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
Not assault rifles. 2000 M72 Light Anti-Tank Weapons.
Ah, imposing THE LAW on Russian armor.

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2022, 11:23 PM   #51
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Which ones do you have in mind?

I can think of a number of excellent sniper rifles but not any current models from Finland.
I know nothing about weapons but one famous submachine rifle used in WWII was the Suomi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suomi_KP/-31

Quote:
The Suomi KP/-31 is regarded by many[6] as one of the most successful submachine guns of World War II. It also had a profound effect on that conflict beyond Finland as the Soviet authorities, who had been dismissive of submachine guns, were persuaded of their deadly efficiency by the Finns after attacking them in 1939.

The Molotov cocktail was also a Finnish innovation.

Quote:
The name "Molotov cocktail" was coined by the Finns during the Winter War,[1] called Molotovin koktaili in Finnish. The name was a pejorative reference to Soviet foreign minister Vyacheslav Molotov, who was one of the architects of the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact signed in late August 1939.

<snip>

On 30 November 1939, the Soviet Union attacked Finland, starting what came to be known as the Winter War. The Finnish perfected the design and tactical use of the petrol bomb. The fuel for the Molotov cocktail was refined to a slightly sticky mixture of alcohol, kerosene, tar, and potassium chlorate.
Wiki

Old 1st March 2022, 02:22 AM   #52
PitPat
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
There's an argument to be had that Russia could speculate the West would not retaliate to a low-scale tactical use of nukes with a large-scale nuclear second strike, as Russia will likely retain a third-strike capacity, given its large land area and submarines. Both wiping out Russian targets and losing Western cities would be unpopular with Westerm populations, no government would be able to stay after such a development.
Trying to wrap my head around that. Seems to me kind of all-or-nothing. It's essentially biologic warfare. Yeah you want a little radiation, we can give you a little back.
PitPat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2022, 04:24 AM   #53
Hevneren
Critical Thinker

Russia has far more tactical, i.e. short to medium range, limited impact nukes than the West. So if Russia starts using those, how should the West respond? With ICBMs that can take out entire cities?
Hevneren is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2022, 04:38 AM   #54
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Klimax View Post
Ah, imposing THE LAW on Russian armor.
Iadmit blowing up fake Russian vehicals with a law was one of the few enjoyable parts of US Army Basic RTraining. went I went throush.
But then the Ukrainians are already using a classic Finnish weapon with The Molotov Cocktail;it was the Finns who gave it that name.
They did not invent it though; it was used by the IRA on British Armored cars in the Irish War Of Independence (1919 1922),

Robert Heinlein.
Old 1st March 2022, 08:17 AM   #55
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Hevneren View Post
Russia has far more tactical, i.e. short to medium range, limited impact nukes than the West. So if Russia starts using those, how should the West respond? With ICBMs that can take out entire cities?
I think that the U.S. is so wildly overmatched against Russia that we would not need small nukes to have the same effect as small tactical "battlefield" nukes. We could bomb the crap out of Vladivostok and destroy their Pacific Fleet, destroy all military faculties in the Kaliningrad oblast, whatever.

Imagine the bombing of Iraq in 2003, only with much more updated weapons systems and with much, much more fury. A truly angry U.S. military could do an enormous amount of damage without resorting to nukes.

That, coupled with internal political pressure in Russia, could see Putin removed.

Last edited by crescent; 1st March 2022 at 08:58 AM.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2022, 08:30 AM   #56
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
... We could bomb the crap out of Vladivostok and destroy their Pacific Fleet, ...
Matter of fact: During the 2014 crisis, I entertained privately the idea if perhaps the best course of action for Obama and the US would be to super-escalate and just destroy the entire Black Sea fleet and Sevastopol in one brutal go, and tell Putin do not dare any reaction other than say "thank you master, I deserved this", or else the other fleets and Kaliningrad and several other strategic sites are history, too. Humiliate the crap out of Putin. Make it clear to the generals in Russia that they will lose all their toys if they allow Vlad to stay.
Old 1st March 2022, 08:43 AM   #57
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
I think that the U.S. is so wildly overmatched against Russia that we would not need small nukes to have the same effect as small tactical "battlefield" nukes. We could bomb the crap out of Vladivostok and destroy their Pacific Fleet, destroy all military faculties in the Kaliningrad oblast, whatever.

Imagine the bombing of Iraq in 2003, only with mush more updated weapons systems and with much, much more fury. A truly angry U.S. military could do an enormous amount of damage without resorting to nukes.

That, coupled with internal political pressure in Russia, could see Putin removed.
Or it could trigger Russia resorting to a nuclear response and ending (human) life on Earth.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2022, 08:55 AM   #58
ahhell
Illuminator

Originally Posted by PitPat View Post
Nobody's resorting to nukes. He's an idiot, but not that dumb.
Well, the threats against Finland and Swedan seem to be another Putin move that has backfired badly.
Its almost as though his whole plan is to build NATO and western cohesion and resolve.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2022, 10:35 AM   #59
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Its almost as though his whole plan is to build NATO and western cohesion and resolve.
It must have been so frustrating for him to see his lackey Trump try so hard to bolster NATO and fail so spectacularly. This whole Ukraine thing is just Putin realizing that if he wants a job done right, he has to do it himself.
Old 1st March 2022, 11:19 AM   #60
PitPat
Illuminator

Shirtless of course.
PitPat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2022, 11:54 AM   #61
MarkCorrigan
ˇNo pasarán!

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
It really is like that isn't it? Like at some point Putin will go on TV and say "Surprise!" and pull off his face mask and it's actually Jens Stoltenberg underneath.

When I give food to the poor, they call me a Saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist. - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2022, 12:01 PM   #62
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Or it could trigger Russia resorting to a nuclear response and ending (human) life on Earth.
I've heard this a lot and I keep thinking to myself, "Why?"

He's concerned about his health enough to isolate, take vaccines, work out, etc. I would say he doesn't want to die. Going scorched Earth, as you said, would end human life. I just don't see why he would do that. I don't see what he gains. He's going to kill the entirety of humanity because he couldn't have Ukraine? Or Finland? His generals, the people surrounding him, and his country are going to blindly follow instructions to destroy the planet? Why? Because they love him so much? I don't buy it.
“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2022, 12:07 PM   #63
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
The parliament of Finland had a public discussion on a possible NATO membership. Despicable waffling and piling-on of platitudes by Social Democrats and the Center, the two biggest parties in the current coalition government. It looks like no matter what happens, they want to keep the option open but it's never the right time to actually do anything. I'd be disappointed, if this wasn't pretty much what I expected of them.
Old 1st March 2022, 01:51 PM   #64
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

<clink clink clink> May I have your attention, please! I am sure you will all wish to join me in condemning the act of wanton vandalism on the Russian Consulate building in Turku-Ĺbo, Finland, yesterday, as reported in the news.

Tut, tut, tut.

Old 1st March 2022, 02:16 PM   #65
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I've heard this a lot and I keep thinking to myself, "Why?"

He's concerned about his health enough to isolate, take vaccines, work out, etc. I would say he doesn't want to die. Going scorched Earth, as you said, would end human life. I just don't see why he would do that. I don't see what he gains. He's going to kill the entirety of humanity because he couldn't have Ukraine? Or Finland? His generals, the people surrounding him, and his country are going to blindly follow instructions to destroy the planet? Why? Because they love him so much? I don't buy it.
Because he is irrational?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 1st March 2022, 02:18 PM   #66
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think what will happen in Ukraine in the next few days will convice some of the wafflers in Finland.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 1st March 2022, 04:08 PM   #67
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

I think what will happen in Ukraine in the next few days will convice some of the wafflers in Finland.
I'd think current stuff would be already enough. Especially with Finland's history with Russia...

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2022, 10:40 PM   #68
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
I doubt it. If Putin's current crimes are not enough, it's not a question of what happens in the Ukraine, it's just lack of leadership and inability to take action.
Old 2nd March 2022, 05:53 AM   #69
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PitPat View Post
Shirtless of course.
Of course!
Old 2nd March 2022, 07:21 AM   #70
llwyd
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
it's just lack of leadership and inability to take action.
By Niinistö mostly - he sounded totally weird in that interview on Tuesday. I think the only explanation is that he thinks that Putin has lost his mental balance and could literally do any crazy thing, so now we should prepare our army but keep a low profile about Nato. A big mistake in my view.
Old 2nd March 2022, 08:42 AM   #71
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

By Niinistö mostly - he sounded totally weird in that interview on Tuesday. I think the only explanation is that he thinks that Putin has lost his mental balance and could literally do any crazy thing, so now we should prepare our army but keep a low profile about Nato. A big mistake in my view.
Niinistö definitely, but the top cabinet ministers as well. I didn't expect much from them (both the SocDems and the Center Party still have a lot of Finlandization-era baggage, both doctrinally and in personnel), but I'm very disappointed in Niinistö. I really thought there was some substance under those winding contemplations of his, but apparently that is not the case.
Old 2nd March 2022, 01:03 PM   #72
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

I guess this news belongs here.

Swedish fighter jets were scrambled to intercept Russian fighter jets entering Swedish airspace today.

The Russians left once intercepted.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2022, 01:06 PM   #73
Hercules56
Master Poster

Finland and Sweden should immediately apply for NATO membership and push for the approval to be fast-tracked.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2022, 01:16 PM   #74
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Swedish fighter jets were scrambled to intercept Russian fighter jets entering Swedish airspace today.

I am fulling expecting the Russians to try this crap agains Nato; maybe playing the game of coming really close to US warships.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 3rd March 2022, 06:19 AM   #75
llwyd
Graduate Poster

Well, now it's been announced that Niinistö will be meeting Biden tomorrow in Washington, this has been arranged with a really unprecedented speed. Interesting...
Old 3rd March 2022, 06:35 AM   #76
Tero
Master Poster

Russia is not going to invade Finland. It might give them a new port in the Baltic but that is about it. Putin wants regional control and also the benefit of good land in Ukraine. Finland is only good for dairy products, pigs etc. Ukraine is good farm land.

And it would take even longer to take Finland than Ukraine, despite the smaller army there. It's a NATO ready army lacking only missiles to reach Moscow and navy. But very good for in field wars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Defence_Forces

Mobile surface-to-air missile launchers
MANPADS
Anti-aircraft artillery (numbers below for three)
+1068
Anti-tank guided missile launchers
Recoilless rifles
Artillery
Self-propelled artillery
Mortars
Multiple rocket launchers
72 +(48)
+1248

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Parody: http://karireport.blogspot.com/
Poll: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...proval-rating/

Last edited by Tero; 3rd March 2022 at 06:37 AM.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2022, 06:57 AM   #77
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

As I said in another thread, this is a regular occurence. They were likely testing Swedish posture in light of recent happenings.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2022, 07:07 AM   #78
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It must have been so frustrating for him to see his lackey Trump try so hard to bolster NATO and fail so spectacularly. This whole Ukraine thing is just Putin realizing that if he wants a job done right, he has to do it himself.
Sarcasm? Musings from an alternate universe?

Originally Posted by Trump
America has no vital interest in choosing between warring factions whose animosities go back centuries in Eastern Europe. Their conflicts are not worth American lives. Pulling back from Europe would save this country millions of dollars annually.
Old 3rd March 2022, 07:08 AM   #79
llwyd
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
As I said in another thread, this is a regular occurence. They were likely testing Swedish posture in light of recent happenings.
Though I think it co-incided with joint Swedish-Finnish excercises on Gotland where both the countries' defence ministers happened to be on a visit. So, maybe not totally regular but perhaps sending a some sort of a message too?
Old 3rd March 2022, 07:11 AM   #80
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Sarcasm? Musings from an alternate universe?
"Whoosh."

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics