IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 12th July 2022, 03:33 PM   #281
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher
 
Crazy Chainsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,788
Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
Their rally cry was something about it being another 1776, I don't think anyone was under the impression they wanted a peaceful anything.
Same as the Proud Boy who just got arrested and his Truck impounded in DC.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 03:41 PM   #282
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 21,807
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
Over a year and still no smoking gun that Trump incited the riot. The riot was wrong but it's being overblown compared to the riots that took place after George Floyd, including the summer of love in Seattle.

The committee will never subpoena the secret service agents that were in the car with Trump because they want to take Hutchinson's word at face value.

The committee also heard testimony from at least a few people who were with Trump, including a DOD staffer named Kash Patel who testified that Trump authorized up to 20,000 troops from the national guard to prevent any problems. and this was before January 6th. The committee of course never aired this testimony.

Nor did the committee show the written letter from the DC mayor declining the troops offered by Trump. Nor did the committee interview Pelosi or the DC Mayor who were declared off limits by the committee.

Liz "toast" Cheney also mentioned that there was intel of possible violence prior to January 6th but the committee never interviewed the security personnel and those in charge of them.
Still can't see that the Emperor is actually naked, right?
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 03:42 PM   #283
slyjoe
Illuminator
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 3,240
Correction - my previous post about the congress people sneaking in to a meeting is incorrect. That we the Sydney Powell, ex-Overstock CEO, Michael Flynn meeting on December 18, 2020.
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade

Last edited by slyjoe; 12th July 2022 at 05:02 PM.
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 03:55 PM   #284
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher
 
Crazy Chainsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,788
Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
Still can't see that the Emperor is actually naked, right?
Shhh don't tell him that Stewart Rhodes, Trolled the old JREF Forum in the 5 dancing Israelis Thread on the 9/11 Conspiracy theories subform here,,back
In the day, 2007-2008.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 04:08 PM   #285
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 55,922
Rep. Murphy getting the full treatment from the right...including the lovely term "Gook" being applied to her. (She is of Vietnamese descent).
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 04:12 PM   #286
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 15,621
Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Rep. Murphy getting the full treatment from the right...including the lovely term "Gook" being applied to her. (She is of Vietnamese descent).

More than that. She came to the U.S. as a child refugee. In her closing remarks, she talked about how much she loved America because it rescued her and her family from the ocean and gave them a new home. Demeaning her in that tone is absolutely despicable.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 05:08 PM   #287
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised
 
shemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Posts: 49,400
Leaked Audio: Before Election Day, Bannon Said Trump Planned to Falsely Claim Victory

Quote:
On the evening of October 31, 2020, Steve Bannon told a group of associates that President Donald Trump had a plan to declare victory on election night—even if he was losing. Trump knew that the slow counting of Democratic-leaning mail-in ballots meant the returns would show early leads for him in key states. His “strategy” was to use this fact to assert that he had won, while claiming that the inevitable shifts in vote totals toward Joe Biden must be the result of fraud, Bannon explained.

“What Trump’s gonna do, is just declare victory. Right? He’s gonna declare victory. But that doesn’t mean he’s a winner,” Bannon, laughing, told the group, according to audio of the meeting obtained by Mother Jones. “He’s just gonna say he’s a winner.”

“As it sits here today,” Bannon said later in the conversation, describing a scenario in which Trump held an early lead in key swing states, “at 10 or 11 o’clock Trump’s gonna walk in the Oval, tweet out, ‘I’m the winner. Game over. Suck on that.'”
Of course, as we know, Trump followed this plan and it failed.

The audio: https://twitter.com/MotherJones/stat...30628284731394
__________________
Counting the days to Civil War II.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 05:09 PM   #288
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing
 
alfaniner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Sorth Dakonsin
Posts: 26,836
Has Trump called the guy "Patsy Baloney" yet?

(And here, while I came up with that all by myself, I found out it's already a term.)
__________________
Science is self-correcting.
Woo is self-contradicting.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 05:09 PM   #289
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!
 
Mike!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Posts: 46,496
Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Republican politicians who attended the December 21, 2020 meeting with Trump where he threw the WH Counsel out of the meeting.

Rep. Mo Brooks of Alabama
Rep. Brian Babin of Texas
Rep. Andy Biggs of Arizona
Rep. Matt Gaetz of Florida
Rep. Louie Gohmert of Texas
Rep. Paul Gosar of Arizona
Rep. Andy Harris of Maryland
Rep. Jody Hice of Georgia
Rep. Jim Jordan of Ohio
Rep. Scott Perry of Pennsylvania
Rep-elect Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia

These people essentially snuck into the White House to meet with Trump about overturning the election. There were a few names on there I had not heard before. The brainpower of that group is astounding.
You mean the fact that between the bunch of them you still couldn't assemble one single functional brain?
__________________
"Never judge a man until you’ve walked a mile in his shoes...
Because then it won't really matter, you’ll be a mile away and have his shoes."
Mike! is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 05:21 PM   #290
slyjoe
Illuminator
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 3,240
Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
You mean the fact that between the bunch of them you still couldn't assemble one single functional brain?
The only question is how much of a functional brain.

That brain would still Double Down on DumbTM.
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 05:41 PM   #291
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 92,445
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
From the same Twitter thread:
Quote:
Bill Johnson
Today’s Committee hearing once again shows a large number of “good guys” saw Jan. 6 criminally developing for weeks in advance and did nothing.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 05:47 PM   #292
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman
 
Skeptic Ginger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 92,445
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
They really can't because the call was never answered so there's no evidence that he was trying to influence the person. We can pretty much guess that was the intention but since he never actually did it, there isn't actually a crime.
Were it a court of law, potential defendants cannot contact witnesses regardless of the reason.


At a minimum Drumpf is guilty of dereliction of duty. A military court would be nice. (I know it's not possible, no need to reply.)
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 06:51 PM   #293
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing
 
dudalb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 55,922
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
[/hilite]
More than that. She came to the U.S. as a child refugee. In her closing remarks, she talked about how much she loved America because it rescued her and her family from the ocean and gave them a new home. Demeaning her in that tone is absolutely despicable.
I read that, should have mentioned it.
__________________
Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th July 2022, 09:15 PM   #294
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: US of A
Posts: 15,621
I just note for anyone missing them that the full televised hearings are accessible on C-Span.
https://www.c-span.org/search/?sdate...uary+6+hearing
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2022, 12:16 AM   #295
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 21,807
Pat Cipellone, when speaking about the group in the "unhinged" meeting (Powell, Giuliani, Byrne, Flynn et al - whom White House staff used to refer to as "the crazies" )....
"A disregard, I would say, a general disregard for the importance of backing up what you say, with facts"
Welcome to our world Pat!
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!

Last edited by smartcooky; 13th July 2022 at 01:11 AM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2022, 01:20 AM   #296
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian
 
The Great Zaganza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 18,306
Something is being unreported IMO, or at least not given the context it should:

the Mail that Trump was planning to march with this Rally to the Capitol, but that it was supposed to be kept secret.

In other words, the Trump Team wanted a very large crowd of riled up protesters, many of which belong to radical groups, some of which who could be plausibly suspected of carrying weapons, and make sure that the local law enforcement (the Capitol Police) would be unprepared for this. Trump did not want to risk the Police to set up proper barricades and come sufficiently staffed or equipped, because he wanted a literally Overwhelming show of force by his supporters.

At the very least, this makes any lawsuit against Trump because of injuries caused by the insurrection a slam dunk: it's reckless endangerment.
if he had given the Capitol Police a heads-up, they could have gotten themselves ready. But he intentionally withheld that information, making sure that members of Congress and the Police would be insufficiently protected: intimidation was the intended goal.

The fact that he planned to go to the Capitol, too, also proves that the planned to incite a riot, i.e. not only give a speech that might cause a riot, but also help it along by leading them to the place he wanted them to riot at.
__________________
"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me."

- Emo Philips

Last edited by The Great Zaganza; 13th July 2022 at 01:21 AM.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2022, 03:24 AM   #297
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher
 
Crazy Chainsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,788
Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Something is being unreported IMO, or at least not given the context it should:

the Mail that Trump was planning to march with this Rally to the Capitol, but that it was supposed to be kept secret.

In other words, the Trump Team wanted a very large crowd of riled up protesters, many of which belong to radical groups, some of which who could be plausibly suspected of carrying weapons, and make sure that the local law enforcement (the Capitol Police) would be unprepared for this. Trump did not want to risk the Police to set up proper barricades and come sufficiently staffed or equipped, because he wanted a literally Overwhelming show of force by his supporters.

At the very least, this makes any lawsuit against Trump because of injuries caused by the insurrection a slam dunk: it's reckless endangerment.
if he had given the Capitol Police a heads-up, they could have gotten themselves ready. But he intentionally withheld that information, making sure that members of Congress and the Police would be insufficiently protected: intimidation was the intended goal.

The fact that he planned to go to the Capitol, too, also proves that the planned to incite a riot, i.e. not only give a speech that might cause a riot, but also help it along by leading them to the place he wanted them to riot at.
Yes The Criminal Trump's first plan failed so he jumped to plan B, he originally wanted to blame the Riot on Antifa and BLM but they didn't show up!
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2022, 05:22 AM   #298
Donal
Illuminator
 
Donal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,792
Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
Don Jr.?
If Trump actually called one of his kids not named Ivanka, that would be suspicious behavior.
__________________
SuburbanNerd A blog for making tech make sense
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2022, 06:01 AM   #299
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Canada, eh?
Posts: 18,913
Originally Posted by Donal View Post
If Trump actually called one of his kids not named Ivanka, that would be suspicious behavior.
Maybe that's why the person at the other end didn't pick up... They didn't recognize the number.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk
__________________
Trust me, I know what I'm doing. - Sledgehammer

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2022, 06:38 AM   #300
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher
 
Crazy Chainsaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,788
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
I'm so sorry, I didn't realize you had heard all of the evidence.

Even if Trump tried to subvert the votes in Georgia, how does that prove that he incited the riot on January 6th?

Do you know who Stacy Abrams is? What do you think of her actions? (I doubt you will respond?)

The democrats whined and cried voter suppression and then record votes were cast in 2020. I never claimed that fraud changed the outcome of the 2020 election. Joe Biden said Geogia was Jim Crowe 2.0 but his own state of Delaware has more voting restrictions than Georgia. And what did Joe Biden do about it? Nothing.
Wild and Wilding are white Supremacist code words for Violence using them in the Tweet has only one on the 19th has only one purpose.

I do have problems with the Former Oath Keepers claims in his testimony, I can Confirm that being antiSemetic goes hand in hand with being an Oath Keeper, that is well known of the Constitutionist Libertarian Conspiracy theorists. For him not to know the Oath Keepers hated Jews he would have to be brain dead.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2022, 07:08 AM   #301
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 40,589
And SCOTUS declares that witness tampering if perfectly okay if a Republican President does it in 3... 2... 1
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2022, 07:24 AM   #302
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy
 
Upchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 33,049
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
And SCOTUS declares that witness tampering if perfectly okay if a Republican President does it in 3... 2... 1
There is nothing wrong about appreciating what a nice building someone has and expressing how awful it would be if it accidently burned down.
__________________
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact." -- Sherlock Holmes.
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain, maybe.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2022, 07:31 AM   #303
Donal
Illuminator
 
Donal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,792
Originally Posted by Crazy Chainsaw View Post
Wild and Wilding are white Supremacist code words for Violence using them in the Tweet has only one on the 19th has only one purpose.

I do have problems with the Former Oath Keepers claims in his testimony, I can Confirm that being antiSemetic goes hand in hand with being an Oath Keeper, that is well known of the Constitutionist Libertarian Conspiracy theorists. For him not to know the Oath Keepers hated Jews he would have to be brain dead.
To be fair, when they first started getting attention from the mainstream media, they were getting a lot of puff pieces. they were being portrayed as like the Tea Party (this was about 15 years ago) but putting more focus on "traditional manliness" and "honoring veterans". They were still using euphemisms and staying marketing friendly back then.
__________________
SuburbanNerd A blog for making tech make sense
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2022, 10:07 AM   #304
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing
 
Stacyhs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 25,936
Cheney's statement that Trump "is not an impressionable child" could be debated.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th July 2022, 01:47 PM   #305
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing
 
smartcooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Nelson, New Zealand
Posts: 21,807
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
Even if Trump tried to subvert the votes in Georgia, how does that prove that he incited the riot on January 6th?



Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
Do you know who Stacy Abrams is? What do you think of her actions? (I doubt you will respond?)
Yes, I know who she is... she is an outstanding politician who really cared about her constituents. She is also a voting rights activist who was rorted out of a chance a governorship in the 2018 Georgia gubernatorial race when the GOP candidate, in a clear conflict of interest, used his position as Georgia Secraty of State to throw out tens of thousands of voters off the voting register in areas where Democrats and minorities

You know what Abrams didn't do in response? She didn't call an armed mob of her base to the Georgia Governor's Mansion.
__________________
Science supplies evidence, invites you to analyse and evaluate that evidence, and then to draw conclusions from that
Religion supplies no evidence, demands you have faith, and expects you to uncritically and automatically believe that something is true simply because "the Bible tells you so"
If you don't like my posts, opinions, or directness then put me on your ignore list!
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2022, 05:10 AM   #306
Donal
Illuminator
 
Donal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,792
The fact that Stacey Abrams doesn't have an armed mob in her base just shows she's not popular enough to govern. /s
__________________
SuburbanNerd A blog for making tech make sense
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2022, 06:06 AM   #307
slyjoe
Illuminator
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 3,240
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Were it a court of law, potential defendants cannot contact witnesses regardless of the reason.


At a minimum Drumpf is guilty of dereliction of duty. A military court would be nice. (I know it's not possible, no need to reply.)
Reports are that it was a White House support staff person he called.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...al_taboolafeed
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2022, 08:15 AM   #308
Iamafalser
Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 140
Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Republican politicians who attended the December 21, 2020 meeting with Trump where he threw the WH Counsel out of the meeting.

Rep. Mo Brooks of Alabama
Rep. Brian Babin of Texas
Rep. Andy Biggs of Arizona
Rep. Matt Gaetz of Florida
Rep. Louie Gohmert of Texas
Rep. Paul Gosar of Arizona
Rep. Andy Harris of Maryland
Rep. Jody Hice of Georgia
Rep. Jim Jordan of Ohio
Rep. Scott Perry of Pennsylvania
Rep-elect Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia

These people essentially snuck into the White House to meet with Trump about overturning the election. There were a few names on there I had not heard before. The brainpower of that group is astounding.
What law is violated by kicking someone out of a meeting?

Just curious.

You can't "sneak" into The White House. There's pretty tight security as well as logs of who enters.

What's the difference between overturning an election and contesting an election?

Is it illegal to try to endeavor to find legal means to contest an election?
Iamafalser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2022, 08:23 AM   #309
slyjoe
Illuminator
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 3,240
Originally Posted by Iamafalser View Post
What law is violated by kicking someone out of a meeting?

Just curious.

You can't "sneak" into The White House. There's pretty tight security as well as logs of who enters.

What's the difference between overturning an election and contesting an election?

Is it illegal to try to endeavor to find legal means to contest an election?
Really? You don't know the answer to these questions?

Illegal to kick someone out of a meeting? No, but it can show intent to conceal. And by the way I corrected which meeting the WH Counsel was asked to leave.

A junior staffer let in Powell, Guiliani, and others for the Dec 18 meeting. It wasn't on the calendar, and the article mentioned that the staffer let them in a side door - not quite as tight security as you might expect. I do not know if they showed up on the logs.

When the legal options were rebuffed, Trump moved to overturning the election, especially after all 50 states certified their electors on Dec 14. In other words, contesting an election stops at some point. Trump's attempts up to Jan 6 were an illegal attempt to overturn the election.

It is not illegal to find legal means to contest an election. Once those legal means are exhausted 62 times, it's time to stop.
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade

Last edited by slyjoe; 14th July 2022 at 08:28 AM.
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2022, 08:25 AM   #310
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 40,589
"How is it illegal to just honestly show concern for what would happen to a local shop keeper's nice shop? I demand a civil debate about this."
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2022, 08:26 AM   #311
slyjoe
Illuminator
 
slyjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Near Harmonica Virgins, AZ
Posts: 3,240
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"How is it illegal to just honestly show concern for what would happen to a local shop keeper's nice shop? I demand a civil debate about this."
I was just going to post this!
__________________
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2022, 08:47 AM   #312
Iamafalser
Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 140
Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Were it a court of law, potential defendants cannot contact witnesses regardless of the reason.


At a minimum Drumpf is guilty of dereliction of duty. A military court would be nice. (I know it's not possible, no need to reply.)
"Were it a court of law:"

a) There would be actual charges against Trump citing specific statutes and specific allegations of how said statutes were violated. (Something missing from the J6 Committee so far.)

b) Full discovery regarding all evidence with respect to what transpired on January 6. (Not just what Pelosi & Co. care to show.)

c) Rules of evidence. (Hearsay and edited/manipulated evidence wouldn't be allowed.)

d) ALL witness testimony would be part of the public record. (Unlike the
J6 Committee's closed door interviews.)

e) A defense presented which would include defense evidence to contradict said allegations as well as defense witnesses. (Something not included in the J6 Committee hearings.)

f) Cross examination of witnesses. (Again, something not included in the J6 Committee hearings.)

g) The prosecution would have the burden to prove a) beyond a reasonable doubt.

Do you want to hazard a guess as to why DOJ will probably never file charges against Trump, much less get a conviction?


Military dereliction of duty? WTF? Have you never heard of The Posse Comitatus Act?
Iamafalser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2022, 08:50 AM   #313
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 40,589
Originally Posted by Iamafalser View Post
Do you want to hazard a guess as to why DOJ will probably never file charges against Trump, much less get a conviction?
Because his psychopathic death cult of trolls will burn the country to the ground if we try?

Because idiots have created a post fact world where facts don't matter?

Because Republican Party will see the end of Democracy as a concept before they let go of power?

Because we live in a world where children being shot in their own classrooms get told to "Oh stop being so dramatic. Your hyperbole isn't really helping your case" when they scream?

Because I know within the metaphysical bounds of certainty that your response will be an excuse, diversion, or trolling tactic and not an answer?
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 14th July 2022 at 08:54 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2022, 08:53 AM   #314
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF
 
Shalamar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Somewhere Else
Posts: 5,557
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Because his psychopathic death cult of trolls will burn the country to the ground?
Because the Democrats view it as too dangerous? (the GoP would 'investigate' every following Dem President the second they were sworn in)

Just goes to show. President Trump incited a riot in a desire to overturn a legal, proper election, and conservatives don't give a ****.
__________________

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2022, 08:56 AM   #315
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised
 
shemp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Out back preparing the bunker for the next Civil War
Posts: 49,400
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Because his psychopathic death cult of trolls will burn the country to the ground if we try?

Because idiots have created a post fact world where facts don't matter?

Because Republican Party will see the end of Democracy as a concept before they let go of power?

Because we live in a world where children being shot in their own classrooms get told to "Oh stop being so dramatic. Your hyperbole isn't really helping your case" when they scream?

Because I know within the metaphysical bounds of certainty that your response will be an excuse, diversion, or trolling tactic and not an answer?
These are probably not the answers he was looking for, but they are the most accurate answers.
__________________
Counting the days to Civil War II.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2022, 09:00 AM   #316
Iamafalser
Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 140
Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Really? You don't know the answer to these questions?

Illegal to kick someone out of a meeting? No, but it can show intent to conceal. And by the way I corrected which meeting the WH Counsel was asked to leave.

A junior staffer let in Powell, Guiliani, and others for the Dec 18 meeting. It wasn't on the calendar, and the article mentioned that the staffer let them in a side door - not quite as tight security as you might expect. I do not know if they showed up on the logs.

When the legal options were rebuffed, Trump moved to overturning the election, especially after all 50 states certified their electors on Dec 14. In other words, contesting an election stops at some point. Trump's attempts up to Jan 6 were an illegal attempt to overturn the election.

It is not illegal to find legal means to contest an election. Once those legal means are exhausted 62 times, it's time to stop.
Of course I know the answers to those questions. They were meant for you, not me.

Here's the question I don't have and answer to: What specific laws did Trump violate (please cite federal code) and what specific actions did he take to violate them?
Iamafalser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2022, 09:04 AM   #317
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 40,589
Originally Posted by Iamafalser View Post
Here's the question I don't have and answer to: What specific laws did Trump violate (please cite federal code) and what specific actions did he take to violate them?
Yet another "Oh I'm sorry I've been in a cave for the last 5 years, could you please have a cVIVIL DeBATE with me about when it was ever shown that Trump did anything wrong?"
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2022, 09:05 AM   #318
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 40,589
So "I'm going to pretend not only did Trump never do anything wrong but it's never even been discussed" going to be the only.. well I'm not allowed to say the word without being sent to AAH but let's just call it "dishonest argumentative tactic" that the Trumpers use?

Just sticking your fingers in your ears going "LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU DADDY TRUMP NEVER DID ANYTHING WRONG OMG HIS BOOT TASTE SO GOOD LAALALALAL?" That's the whole tactic now?
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 14th July 2022 at 09:10 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2022, 09:12 AM   #319
Iamafalser
Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 140
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Because his psychopathic death cult of trolls will burn the country to the ground if we try?

Because idiots have created a post fact world where facts don't matter?

Because Republican Party will see the end of Democracy as a concept before they let go of power?

Because we live in a world where children being shot in their own classrooms get told to "Oh stop being so dramatic. Your hyperbole isn't really helping your case" when they scream?

Because I know within the metaphysical bounds of certainty that your response will be an excuse, diversion, or trolling tactic and not an answer?
I just posted a factual account of what is entailed in prosecuting someone in a court of law.

I find your drama queen emotional response quite amusing.
Iamafalser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th July 2022, 09:15 AM   #320
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man
 
JoeMorgue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 40,589
Originally Posted by Iamafalser View Post
I just posted a factual account of what is entailed in prosecuting someone in a court of law.

I find your drama queen emotional response quite amusing.
I'm sick of people told how Trump's coup didn't break any rules.

First it's a lie.

Second it's not the point.
__________________
"If everyone in the room says water is wet and I say it's dry that makes me smart because at least I'm thinking for myself!" - The Proudly Wrong.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:35 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.