ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th April 2003, 01:18 PM   #121
Darwin
Critical Thinker

"What do people think about if it had to do with, say, theories of gravity, rather than evolution? Do you think the same hoop-la would have been made about it?"

Depends on whether you mean that the one in charge of whoopla rejects the theory of gravity or simply rejects it due to a belief that goes beyond scientific method.

Theory of gravity would hardly be rejected out of a religious belief,of course this is obvious.
Darwin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2003, 01:16 PM   #122
Phaycops

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbob
Sherlock Holmes asks: If I recall correctly, the student had not taken Prof Dini's class. Hmm, I wonder what Blue Monk would say about this?
Not only had the student not taken the class, the student didn't ask for a recommendation and in fact transferred to a different university entirely before suing the professor. I really don't understand why this is even an issue at all. Isn't there some kind of "frivolous lawsuits" guideline or something? Oh, wait, I forgot. This is America!
Phaycops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2003, 02:47 PM   #123
jj
grumpy old skeptic

Quote:
Originally posted by Phaycops

Not only had the student not taken the class, the student didn't ask for a recommendation and in fact transferred to a different university entirely before suing the professor. I really don't understand why this is even an issue at all. Isn't there some kind of "frivolous lawsuits" guideline or something? Oh, wait, I forgot. This is America!
That is also my understanding from news reports.

This is why I refer to it as religious harrassment of an innocent professor.
Old 30th April 2003, 03:55 PM   #124
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by Phaycops

The beauty is how this so goes to demonstrate the point.

The guy is basically saying that he is so certain in his creationist belief that no science class will change his mind.

Yeah, that's what we all want from our doctor, someone who's mind is made up and admits that he will never change it no matter what he encounters.

I don't want him diagnosing me.

I mean, at least take the class and then claim you aren't convinced. But to basically say that there is nothing that could change your mind? Bah.
"Baseball is a philosophy. The primordial ooze that once ruled our world has been captured in perpetual motion. Baseball is the moment. Its ever changing patterns are hypnotizing yet invigorating. Baseball is an art form. Classic and at the same time...progressive. Baseball is pre-historic and post-modern. Baseball is here to stay."

(Stolen from the side of a lava lamp box, and modified slightly)
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2003, 12:59 AM   #125
thinkren

a bit more about the man...

I'm a relatively late-comer to this discussion, but as I've followed along I noticed that most of the discussion tended to be about the merits and appropriateness of Dini's position. I'd like to point out something else that many have overlooked, that is, the man behind all this controversy.

If anyone has looked at the rest of his webpage at the Texas Tech website, one can see that he has been on the other side of the fence. The man had a 14 year history with Catholism in his younger days.

I think there might have been some tendency to see him as some nose-in-the-air elitist with no respect for religion at all, but it seems to me he has the experience of having grappled with tough ideas like many of us here.

What makes him a REAL hero to me, though, is his philosophy on education. By his own account, he was a high school teacher before he started teaching at the university level. Many of his observations are right on the mark. Any responsible skeptic would hail his remarks as calls of attention to the real root of the problems in today's society of ignorance.
  Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology