ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th April 2005, 10:47 PM   #1
Cleopatra
Philosopher

Help me debunk the "Holy Light Miracle"

Ok it's this day of the year again when we have to tolerate even the most smart people of the country declaring with tears in their eyes that they believe in the miracle of the Holly Light as it occurs in the Temple of Resurrection in Jerusalem, 11AM local time.

I link an account of the whole procedure and the main argument of the believers is that before the Patriarch enters the Tomb of Jesus to pray for the Holly Light the Israeli Army searches the whole area for tricks. As if this is an argument.

I believe that the trick hides in the account that the light at the beginning doesn't burn. Somebody has told me that it's a mixture of phosphorus.

Do you have any idea how this "miracle" might be explained?

Thanks

http://www.holyfire.org/eng/
Cleopatra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2005, 11:25 PM   #2
dann
Philosopher

And you really think that it's not a miracle? "It cannot be described in human terms." And then he starts describing it "in human terms" ...
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2005, 11:33 PM   #3
-42-
Thinker

This looks like "OUCH" expression to me:

http://www.holyfire.org/image/Neobgig_News_ru.jpg

"I enter the tomb and kneel in holy fear in front of the place where Christ lay after His death and where He rose again from the dead... (narrates Orthodox Patriarch Diodor - ed.). I find my way through the darkness towards the inner chamber in which I fall on my knees."

So.... He's by himself.....

When the Patriarch comes out with the two candles lit and shining brightly in the darkness, a roar of jubilee resounds in the Church.[2]

And when he comes out, WOW CANDLES ARE LIT!!! WOO HOO.

Often unlit oil lamps catch light by themselves before the eyes of the pilgrims. The blue flame is seen to move in different places in the Church. A number of signed testimonies by pilgrims, whose candles lit spontaneously, attest to the validity of these ignitions.

Where did the candles come from that are lit automagically?
Purchased outside the Church, by chance?
If not, did anyone handle the candles of the individual prior to them being lit?
Was the candle in the persons possession at all times?

Ultimately, they prove the point:
They [skeptics] believe the Patriarch has a lighter inside of the tomb. These critics, however, are confronted with a number of problems. Matches and other means of ignition are recent inventions. Only a few hundred years ago lighting a fire was an undertaking that lasted much longer than the few minutes during which the Patriarch is inside the tomb.

Um... Flint & Steel on Oil Rag? Not to mention they didn't even challenge or attempt to rule out the lighter comment, merely suggested that was how it didn't work before.

Besides the fact the accuracy that it was always a few minutes... And um, was the tomb always searched "in olden days when no lighters existed" beforehand? What about searching the most obvious source, the Patriarch.

That's all they did, search the Tomb. Ok great. how about searching the patriarch when he goes in there ALL BY HIMSELF with a BIC lighter up his ass. (Or, more comfortably, in his pocket)

Not to mention I'm sure it's a simple matter to treat a candle to light beforehand - or burn strangely - by adding various chemicals at various layers. Or, Even simpler, planting people with trick candles.

Um..
http://www.magiclegends.com/product894.html
http://www.magiclegends.com/product1446.html

Last edited by LashL; 21st December 2012 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Changed hotlink to regular link.
-42- is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2005, 11:40 PM   #4
Kopji

Quote:
"More than 300 years ago, in 1669, Hennig Brand, a Hamburg alchemist, like most chemists of his day, was trying to make gold. He let urine stand for days in a tub until it putrified. Then he boiled it down to a paste, heated this paste to a high temperature, and drew the vapours into water where they could condense - to gold. To his surprise and disappointment, however, he obtained instead a white, waxy substance that glowed in the dark. Brand had discovered phosphorus, the first element isolated other than the metals and non-metals, such as gold, lead and sulphur, that were known to the ancient civilisations. The word phosphorus comes from the Greek and means light bearer."

A.D.F. Toy and E.N. Walsh, Phosphorus chemistry in everyday living, 2nd. ed. (Washington: ACS, 1987)
linky
Kopji is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th April 2005, 11:43 PM   #5
-42-
Thinker

The critical "miracle" is with the Patriarch in a Tomb, in the dark, all by his lonesome with some unlit candles.
Old 29th April 2005, 11:45 PM   #6
Kopji

Quote:
Common Name: Phosphorous (yellow)
CAS Number: 7723-14-0
DOT Number: UN 1381
Date: November, 1988
-----------------------------------------

HAZARD SUMMARY
* Phosphorous (yellow) can affect you when breathed in and by
passing through your skin.
* On contact with skin, Phosphorous (yellow) may ignite and
produce severe burns. Eye contact can cause severe damage.
Sudden death may occur after minor Phosphorous (yellow) burns.
* Exposure to fumes is extremely irritating to eyes, nose,
throat, and lungs.
* Very high exposure may cause severe or fatal poisoning.
* Repeated low exposure can destroy bone, especially the jaw
bone.
* Phosphorous (yellow) is FLAMMABLE and is a FIRE HAZARD.
* Phosphorous (Yellow) ignites spontaneously with moist air.

linky
Kopji is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2005, 12:17 AM   #7
Kopji

Urine was used in laundry (yuck) by the ancient Romans. The occupation was known as a 'fuller'.

All the right components were together for this chemical being anciently known (and used for religious purposes).

Quote:
Cast Iron: China, Forth Century B.C.
By having good refractory clays for the construction of blast furnace walls, and the discovery of how to reduce the temperature at which iron melts by using phosphorus, the Chinese were able cast iron into ornamental and functional shapes. Coal, used as a fuel, was placed around elongated crucibles containing iron ore. This expertise allowed the production of pots and pans with thin walls. With the development of annealing in the third century, ploughshares, longer swords, and even buildings were eventually made of iron. In the West, blast furnaces are known to have existed in Scandinavia by the late eighth century A.D., but cast iron was not widely available in Europe before 1380.

http://www.apio.org/chinese_invention.htm
Old 30th April 2005, 12:40 AM   #8
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

Danish author and Catholic, Niels Christian Hvidt, describes the event in his book, "Mirakler". I took a look at it:

Quote:
The Holy Fire in Jerusalem.

Claim: Each year, on Holy Saturday (Orthodox Easter Saturday), people gather in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, to watch candles being lit by fire from Heaven. The Patriarch enters the tomb with two unlit candles and reappears later with the candles now burning. The fire is used to light the candles held by the people attending the ceremony. Right before the Patriarch enters the tomb, Israeli authorities check the tomb for any lights or methods of lighting a fire. The tomb is then sealed until the arrival of the patriarch. He is stripped of his royal liturgical vestments, leaving only a white alba. He then enters the tomb, alone, and reappears with the candles lit.

Problems:
  • Israeli authorities (Hvidt calls them "civil servants" in the book) may be good at their day-time jobs, but they are hardly authorities when it comes to detecting trickery and chicanery.
  • Nobody seems to have realized that the Patriarch should be body-searched. He could easily carry a concealed match, lighter og something else which can be used to light the candles.
  • The candles themselves could be chemically prepared in advance to light up by themselves. In favor of this speaks the fact that the Patriarch sometimes has to stay in the tomb for a prolonged period of time.
  • No cameras are allowed inside the tomb while the candles are being lighted. The actual lighting of the candles has never been observed by anyone else but the patriarch. We only have the testimony of the patriarch.
CFLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2005, 05:47 AM   #9
Cleopatra
Philosopher

Thanks a lot guys.

For many years I have been hearing people describing the whole ceremony as a miracle, admitting that it's about a belief.

I have attended the ceremony in Jerusalem once and I hated it because it ended in extreme violence between the Armenians and the Greeks and the IDF forces that had to be present to prevent the christians to tear each other apart were so strong that the whole procedure didn't remind at all a ceremony.

This year though under the shadow of the controversy around the Greek Patriarch* I have heard people claiming that the Miracle of the Holy Fire consitutes a solid proof about the existence of God. When a miracle is presented as evidence, it becomes another story.

*http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...079210,00.html
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...=1114827622122
Cleopatra is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2005, 05:58 AM   #10
vbloke
Disturbing shirts

Quote:
I have heard people claiming that the Miracle of the Holy Fire consitutes a solid proof about the existence of God.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, as I believe it has been said may times.

A candle apparently lighting itself out of sight of observers doesn't cut the mustard, I'm afraid. Maybe something along the lines of the Patriarch starting to glow and then levitating up to the sky would convince me, but a candle, nope.

Strange how religion, which is essentially a set of rules about how to live in peace with each other, should be the cause of so much violence and hatred.

I can make images of Jesus appear on rose petals, I can create fire without a lighter or matches, I can transmit my thoughts to others, I have predicted earthquakes quite accurately. I have no magical, paranormal or holy abilities - I read the newspapers, I have studied NLP, I have studied chemistry, I like to mess with peoples perceptions.

(the earthquake prediction got me in a lot of trouble because it was so accurate. All I did was study earthquake data for a given region over the past 25 years and made an educated guess.)

http://www.ukskeptics.com
Skepticism in the UK
vbloke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2005, 06:22 AM   #11
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

vbloke, I want to buy your book and send you money.

Ohm.
Garrette is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2005, 07:35 AM   #12
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

"Ok it's this day of the year again when we have to tolerate even the most smart people of the country declaring with tears in their eyes that they believe in the miracle of the Holly Light as it occurs in the Temple of Resurrection in Jerusalem, 11AM local time."

Cleopatra- a question about your OP.

I understand you live in Greece, but have family in Israel.
To my eyes, as a native English speaker, your first line implies that you are actually in Israel at the moment, as "the country" you refer to is Israel, not Greece . This may not be what you meant, but I know your command of idiomatic English is very good.

So my question is- Are you in Israel just now- and if not, who precisely do you mean by "we", as in "we have to tolerate..."?
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2005, 09:14 AM   #13
vbloke
Disturbing shirts

Quote:
Originally posted by Garrette
vbloke, I want to buy your book and send you money.

Ohm.
I haven't got a book, but feel free to send me as much money as you want - I'm a bit skint at the moment. Cheers.
If you want to know how these things are done, just pm me. I'd be happy to share the info (although the self igniting candle recipe is a tad toxic and dangerous)

Skepticism in the UK
vbloke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2005, 05:46 PM   #14
LuxFerum
Philosopher

Apart from scientific explanations, there is a problem with the definition of miracle. Can something that happens every year at the same time be a miracle? A scheduled miracle? This go against the definition of miracle.
As far as I know, even if there is no scientific explanation for the event, that does not constitute a miracle. A miracle must have some purpose (a divine purpose), without it, it is just a bizarre phenomenon.
LuxFerum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2005, 06:35 PM   #15
-42-
Thinker

Quote:
Originally posted by LuxFerum
A miracle must have some purpose (a divine purpose), without it, it is just a bizarre phenomenon.
The purpose is to make you believe.

Can be applied to grilled cheeses, underpasses and shower curtains at will.
Old 30th April 2005, 08:23 PM   #16
LuxFerum
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally posted by -42-
The purpose is to make you believe.

Can be applied to grilled cheeses, underpasses and shower curtains at will.
Well. it didnt work then. Im not amused.

The lack of efficacy, questionable usefulness and not soo divine purpose should be enough to discredit this miracle.
LuxFerum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th April 2005, 09:33 PM   #17
-42-
Thinker

Quote:
Well. it didnt work then. Im not amused.

The lack of efficacy, questionable usefulness and not soo divine purpose should be enough to discredit this miracle.
Well Satan must be clouding your judgement.

Really, don't try to logically look at what people call Miracles, it's an effort in futility unless you actually get them submit to a test that would exclude fraud. The "Holy Light" is perfect, since it's reoccuring.

Naturally, they won't submit to any controlled tests to "Show the World that God Exists" (or at least, this unexplained phenomenon exists) simply because it's a trick.

I mean, If I was a Christian, and I had a miracle, that wasn't a trick, I'd want all the scientists and hoax-thwarters to decend upon me in droves. To be able to show them this "micracle" and um "save their souls".
Old 30th April 2005, 11:06 PM   #18
LuxFerum
Philosopher

I think that this is a better way to make people see that there is something wrong with that.
Things like:
*You have superpowers and all that you can do is to bend spoons? and you still have to touch them?
*You can talk to the deads and all that they say is " I love you all"?
*You are god almighty, and the only miracle you can do is to light a candle inside a cave?

It is better than just say that someone is deceiving you, this sort of thing is hard to prove, it will be your word against his.

Making those questions removes the whole purpose of the event, because the objective of those people is not to see the candle burning, the objective is to be part of that glorious religious experience, too confirm that what they believe is right. They don't care if is an self igniting candle, or someone levitating or if it is blood un-coagulating.

Those questions are build to disassociate the phenomenon with the religious experience. Do a self igniting candle proves the existence of god? Should god light candles to prove his existence? Should he repeat it every year if that doesnt convince everyone? Can't he do something better?

With all of those questions, you already have a cloud of suspicion over the miracle, and all that without claiming that it is a trick or saying something about god existance (that would be another huge problem). You did not even had to explaing how the miracle can be done without some paranormal means.

When the miracle become meaningless, it is just a strange phenomenon, and much easier to debunk.
Old 30th April 2005, 11:13 PM   #19
-42-
Thinker

Quote:
You did not even explained how the miracle can be done without some paranormal means.
Uh what? have you even read this thread at all?
Old 1st May 2005, 12:01 AM   #20
LuxFerum
Philosopher

Quote:
Uh what? have you even read this thread at all?
I will edited it to make it clear.

edited: Basically the point is:
The scientifical explanation will be ignored by the beliver because in a choice between science and religion they will choose religion.
If you disconnect the phenomenon from religion, by showing that it doesnt make sense that god would act like that, the choice is now between science and nothing. The success rate in debunking this miracle must be bigger.
Old 1st May 2005, 12:10 AM   #21
-42-
Thinker

Quote:
You did not even had to explaing how the miracle can be done without some paranormal means.

Your edit didn't help.

I got a BIC lighter in my pocket.

Although I assume you meant "You did not even have to explain how the miracle can be done w/out Paranormal means [based on the earlier citing]"

If you try to disprove the definition of a "Miracle" good luck with that, or what qualifies as a "Miracle". You'll have lots of fun there.

We can certainly spend all day arguing about what a GOD would do / would not do and remember "He works in mysterious ways". It's futile to go down that route.

Better to just point out how non-paranormal and how non-divine it is.

Hey, If anyone wants to pay me $100. I will let you come to my house (I will buy you a coke). You can search a room for any presence of a lighting device.

I will then enter the room with two UNLIT candles and emerge with them being lit.

Cash or MO only please.

Please PM me.
Old 1st May 2005, 12:17 AM   #22
-42-
Thinker

I will also give you a good story about how I prayed and was scared about the awesome power of god, if that results in a tip beyond the $100.
Old 1st May 2005, 12:31 AM   #23
LuxFerum
Philosopher

Quote:
If you try to disprove the definition of a "Miracle" good luck with that, or what qualifies as a "Miracle". You'll have lots of fun there.

We can certainly spend all day arguing about what a GOD would do / would not do and remember "He works in mysterious ways". It's futile to go down that route.

Better to just point out how non-paranormal and how non-divine it is.
It is not futile, if it was, no one would ever change its mind.

Of course you can just give the scientific explanation, but from my experience, people will simply ignore it, because that is not what they are looking for. They are not looking for explanations, they are looking for fantasy.

Move that fantasy away, and you can debunk anything easily.
Old 1st May 2005, 12:37 AM   #24
-42-
Thinker

Uh... In that case...

Quote:
[b]*You are god almighty, and the only miracle you can do is to light a candle inside a cave?[/B[
As God Almighty, I certainly have the ability to do much more than light candles. However, it is well beyond your understanding as to why I do not. I've done PLENTY of big miracles in the past, which seems like 1 second ago, so really stop asking for big miracles or I'll just flood the earth or something. So sucks to be you for not living then or ignoring them.
Old 1st May 2005, 12:50 AM   #25
LuxFerum
Philosopher

Quote:
so really stop asking for big miracles or I'll just flood the earth or something.
A threatening god?

See where this is going? Pretty soon you have to "paint" a god so ridiculous that it will cause you more troubles than just accepting that the phenomenon was not a miracle.
Old 1st May 2005, 01:50 AM   #26
vbloke
Disturbing shirts

I've just done a little bit of trawling and I've found that you can start fires with a coke can and chocolate. I'm not saying that 100's of years ago they had access to coke cans, but a small parabolic mirror and a source of sunlight is all that's needed. Easy to hide a tiny mirror too.

Also, this will not look like a source of ignition: http://www.bushcraftuk.co.uk/article...effwagner.html
it'll look like a horn or a tube of wood, but can be used to start a fire.

Another sure fire way of checking would be to somehow either swap the candle the Patriarch takes in there with him, or get one of the people who checks the room to secrete a couple of wireless webcams in there to record what actually happens out of sight of the onlookers.

Skepticism in the UK
Old 1st May 2005, 05:07 AM   #27
Kiless

Quote:
Originally posted by Soapy Sam
So my question is- Are you in Israel just now- and if not, who precisely do you mean by "we", as in "we have to tolerate..."?
My impression (which, of course, may not be much at all...) stems from the statement in the article "Greek Orthodox protest in Jerusalem" where the author writes 'The Greek Orthodox Church is a significant landholder in Jerusalem owning thousands of acres of property.' That might be a reason for the reference... edited to add that the mention in the other article about 'In the past the ceremony has also been a flashpoint between different Orthodox denominations, which have argued over protocol at the ceremony' points to the influence of Jerusalem on Greek Orthodoxy... The two countries are intimately linked by sociocultural factors? Cleopatra's background (are you possibly a holder of passports from both countries?), as you mentioned, would of course be a factor.

(My Head of Department is Orthodox Greek but it's Sunday here so I can't ask her opinion until Monday. She has done two school tours to the Middle East with students.)[
Kiless is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st May 2005, 09:45 AM   #28
Kopji

An interesting aspect of the miracle is that it seems to be used to indicate Orthodox authority over the Catholic.
Quote:
One can ask the question why the Miracle of the Holy Fire is hardly known in Western Europe. In the Protestant areas it may to a certain extent be explained by the fact that there is no real tradition for miracles; people dont really know in which box to place the miracles, and they dont take up much space in newspapers. But in the Catholic tradition there is vast interest for miracles. Thus, why is it not more known? For this it only one explanation suffices: Church politics. Only the Orthodox Churches attend the ceremony framing the miracle. It only occurs on the orthodox Easter date and without the presence of any Catholic authorities. By certain Orthodox this evidence proves the notion that the Orthodox Church is the only legitimate Church of Christ in the world, and this assertion obviously may cause certain apprehensions in Catholic circles.
http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/general/holyfire.aspx
(Above text seems repeated verbatim on many sites so probably originates from a single source. )

Some of the photos on one site that show a 'light' in the room are described in the fine print as being some kind of enhanced photo (like, "photoshopped"). The light was not visible to the people in the room at the time.

Quote:
Camera-man successes to film a flash before Holy Fire appearing. It was not see by naked eye as was commented. Man may see that a light come not from a window but from a ground.
- ibid. holyfire photos site
Quote:
A miracle is a violation of the laws of nature; and as a firm and unalterable experience has established these laws, the proof against a miracle, from the very nature of the fact, is as entire as any argument from experience can possibly be imagined. Why is it more than probable, that all men must die; that lead cannot, of itself, remain suspended in the air; that fire consumes wood, and is extinguished by water; unless it be, that these events are found agreeable to the laws of nature, and there is required a violation of these laws, or in other words, a miracle to prevent them? Nothing is esteemed a miracle, if it ever happen in the common course of nature. It is no miracle that a man, seemingly in good health, should die on a sudden: because such a kind of death, though more unusual than any other, has yet been frequently observed to happen. But it is a miracle, that a dead man should come to life; because that has never been observed in any age or country. There must, therefore, be a uniform experience against every miraculous event, otherwise the event would not merit that appellation....

The plain consequence is (and it is a general maxim worthy of our attention), 'That no testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such a kind, that its falsehood would be more miraculous, than the fact, which it endeavours to establish....' When anyone tells me, that he saw a dead man restored to life, I immediately consider with myself, whether it be more probable, that this person should either deceive or be deceived, or that the fact, which he relates, should really have happened. I weigh the one miracle against the other; and according to the superiority, which I discover, I pronounce my decision, and always reject the greater miracle. If the falsehood of his testimony would be more miraculous, than the event which he relates; then, and not till then, can he pretend to command my belief or opinion...

From David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, L. A. Selby Bigge, ed. (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1902), pp. 114-16.
linky
And without any measurable evidence, we could claim anything. Maybe the phenomenon is due to playful visiting aliens, and not a miracle from God at all:
http://www.ufoevidence.org/documents/doc155.htm
Old 2nd May 2005, 04:13 PM   #29
c4ts
Philosopher

Quote:
The Patriarch enters the tomb with two unlit candles and reappears later with the candles now burning.
And nobody sees what happens while he is inside?

I'll bet he lights those candles himself with a friggin' zippo in his pocket.
c4ts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2005, 03:00 AM   #30
songstress
Thinker

Candle

I have never heard of this before, but since I was brought up a Protestant Anglican, perhaps that's why.

I couldn't understand the recent penchant for over-the-top Pope worship either.

Patsy.
Old 3rd May 2005, 04:06 AM   #31
Cleopatra
Philosopher

Re: Candle

Quote:
Originally posted by songstress
I have never heard of this before, but since I was brought up a Protestant Anglican, perhaps that's why.

Patsy.
Hi Songtress. Do you know that the Anglican Church considers to be absorbed by the Eastern Orthodox?

Every mystery that is performed in an aglican church is considered valid by the Orthodox Church.
Old 3rd May 2005, 05:22 AM   #32
songstress
Thinker

Candle

Hello Cleopatra,

Yes, I did hear something about that when I visited Greece about six years ago. Apparently, the Eastern Orthodox Church is more akin to Anglicanism than the RC's. I had not heard of the Holy Light before, though.

Also, during the OTT 'Pope Worship-fest' last month, there was talk of the Roman Catholic Church welcoming the Eastern Othodox Church into the 'fold' too. I don't know how far that will go, but I do think that the Eastern and Russian Orthodox Churches are a bit more flexible and willing to embrace change than the RC's.

Patsy.
Old 3rd May 2005, 07:39 AM   #33
El Greco
Summer worshipper

The ridiculous part is that we receive the "holy light" with ceremonies usually laid on for visiting heads of government. Army and civil officials gather at the airport to greet the "holy light". Army and civil officials gather at the airport to greet the "holy light". ARMY AND CIVIL OFFICIALS GATHER AT THE AIRPORT TO GREET THE "HOLY LIGHT". ARMY AND CIVIL OFFICIALS GATHER AT THE AIRPORT TO GREET THE "HOLY LIGHT".

Ok, I have now realized what I just wrote. It's the naked, wrinkled, sad, pathetic, pointed truth.

El Greco is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2005, 09:02 AM   #34
songstress
Thinker

Candle

El Greco,

So you seem to be implying that the Holy Light is nothing more than a lighted candle dressed up in pomp and circumstance for visiting dignitories?

Patsy.
Old 3rd May 2005, 09:21 AM   #35
El Greco
Summer worshipper

Re: Candle

Quote:
Originally posted by songstress
El Greco,

So you seem to be implying that the Holy Light is nothing more than a lighted candle dressed up in pomp and circumstance for visiting dignitories?
Exactly that. I also suspect that they don't even use an expensive lighter. They probably light it up with a BIC. Of course many Greeks believe that this light is holy indeed, but they believe that in the same inertial way they believe in God: If you were to give them 5 euros to put down the "holy" light they wouldn't think about it twice. They also seem to be very confused on why this "holy" light loses its non-burning properties as soon as it leaves Jerusalem.

El Greco is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd May 2005, 09:29 AM   #36
El Greco
Summer worshipper

Let me clarify that the whole ceremony is not being orchestrated for any visiting officials; the circus operates just for our own internal consumption.

Old 5th May 2005, 08:16 AM   #37
songstress
Thinker

Still makes it a swizz, El Greco.

What a flipping cheek - it's a con trick on a grand scale! I'm amazed that people fall for it.

Patsy.
Old 5th May 2005, 08:33 AM   #38
EvilBiker
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by El Greco
The ridiculous part is that we receive the "holy light" with ceremonies usually laid on for visiting heads of government. Army and civil officials gather at the airport to greet the "holy light". Army and civil officials gather at the airport to greet the "holy light". ARMY AND CIVIL OFFICIALS GATHER AT THE AIRPORT TO GREET THE "HOLY LIGHT". ARMY AND CIVIL OFFICIALS GATHER AT THE AIRPORT TO GREET THE "HOLY LIGHT".

Ok, I have now realized what I just wrote. It's the naked, wrinkled, sad, pathetic, pointed truth.
So, what would happen if one of these army or civil officials inadvertantly (in the spirit of scientific enquiry, of course) blew these candles out?
Old 5th May 2005, 08:57 AM   #39
c4ts
Philosopher

Re: Re: Candle

Quote:
Exactly that. I also suspect that they don't even use an expensive lighter.
So much for my Zippo theory...
c4ts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2005, 09:08 AM   #40
Cleopatra
Philosopher

Quote:

I find the whole ceremony of the welcoming of the Holly Fire quite embarassing and ridiculous.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal