ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags bigfoot

Old 5th May 2005, 10:58 AM   #1
duggie
Thinker

Bigfoot follies

Yeah! I passed the rigorous JREF background screening and security checks so I can start being a nuisance here with my first post. I have been following the anticipation of, and the reaction to, the latest Bigfoot video which was screened on A Current Affair last night. The discussion group is here:http://blogcritics.org/archives/2005/04/24/140559.php
Among all the woo wooing and name calling is a post from a law student attending classes with a lady who knows these latest hoaxers. I thought you might find it amusing:

Mod WarningDuggie, I'm not sure we want to be pasting entire posts from other forums into a JREF forum thread. I will discuss this further with the admins and mods to be sure. In the meantime, please provide a link to the material to continue with the discussion.
Posted By:Phil
duggie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2005, 11:43 AM   #2
duggie
Thinker

Sorry, I thought this was a gem of debunking based on some fascinating information he obtained about the participants. To read it follow the link I posted and scroll down to Comment 155 posted by Gdub.
duggie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2005, 12:01 PM   #3
Luke T.

Latest Bigfoot video that is the subject of this topic can be seen here.
Luke T. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2005, 12:14 PM   #4
Luke T.

Okay. A "Bigfoot expert" has debunked the video.

Quote:
A Bigfoot expert says video that a Manitoba man purportedly shot of Bigfoot is bogus.

Bill Borody is the founder of the Manitoba Sasquatch Research Centre. He says there are a lot of problems with the out-of-focus, shaky footage that Bobby Clarke of Norway House sold the U.S. tabloid TV show "A Current Affair." Borody says the creature in the video is not moving, but the background is. He also says Sasquatches are supposed to be large, barrel-chested creatures, but the one in Clarke's footage is narrow at the top and fans out at the bottom, "like a tent."
So we know it's fake because the real Bigfoot is a large, barrel-chested creature.

Oh.

Source.
Luke T. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2005, 12:15 PM   #5
supercorgi
Dog Everlasting

I didn't see a darn thing in that video except some very blurry "thing" in the shadows. I couldn't make out anything. Tell me why are all the bigfoot videos so jumpy and out of focus? I videotape my dog running around and it's neither jumpy or out of focus. Why can't anyone make a decent video?

supercorgi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2005, 12:16 PM   #6
jmercer
Question Everything

Quote:
Originally posted by Luke T.
Okay. A "Bigfoot expert" has debunked the video.

So we know it's fake because the real Bigfoot is a large, barrel-chested creature.

Oh.

Source.
A large, barrel-chested creature? You mean Bluto of Popeye the Sailor Man fame?
"Context is everything, and sophistry will not protect you." - chillzero
jmercer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2005, 12:30 PM   #7
Yaotl
Critical Thinker

That guy seems to be right about the "thing" not moving though. Some dark spots above the figure or whatever it is are either moving along with it or there's no movement. Terrible footage either way though.
Old 5th May 2005, 12:32 PM   #8
Odin
Atheistic Aesir

I once saw bigfoot in a field in the distance, just standing there...

However when I looked from a different angle I realised it was a horse

It really did look like like a brown haired giant humanoid creature so it was quite weird.

"Then we didn't evolve! The system has been feeding us THE BIG LIE!"
-Jack T Chick

"Educators are actually evil
for refusing to teach students
Nature's 4 World Time Cube."
-Gene Ray

"Leo Jean has attained the highest spiritual status of any person on Earth. His spirit is one of the oldest and most powerful in the universe, and is the most powerful on Earth."
-Leo Jean
Odin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2005, 12:54 PM   #9
DavoMan
Critical Thinker

Man I've been searching for hours. Can someone please post a URL to this video clip? Its killing me seeing so much text about it but no link.
Old 5th May 2005, 01:07 PM   #10
Luke T.

Quote:
Originally posted by DavoMan
Man I've been searching for hours. Can someone please post a URL to this video clip? Its killing me seeing so much text about it but no link.
I take it you missed my first post in this topic?
Old 5th May 2005, 01:12 PM   #11
Gr8wight
red-shirted crewman

Quote:
I take it you missed my first post in this topic?
If that page used to have the video on it, it no longer appears to.

"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight and understanding."--Marshall McLuhan
Gr8wight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2005, 01:12 PM   #12
Luke T.

Hmm. They seem to have taken the video off the site I linked in my first post.

Well, here is another one that is even better: http://dhost.info/Paragliding/Pages/Yeti.htm
Old 5th May 2005, 01:13 PM   #13
Luke T.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gr8wight
If that page used to have the video on it, it no longer appears to.
Yeah. I just noticed. They must have had so many hits that it dragged their site down.
Old 5th May 2005, 01:17 PM   #14
Gr8wight
red-shirted crewman

Quote:
Hmm. They seem to have taken the video off the site I linked in my first post.

Well, here is another one that is even better: http://dhost.info/Paragliding/Pages/Yeti.htm
Wow! That's amazing.< /Kreskin>

"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight and understanding."--Marshall McLuhan
Gr8wight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2005, 01:22 PM   #15
DavoMan
Critical Thinker

Waaa this is awful. Hey could somebody perhaps upload the video to a webserver? I would be happy to host it also for a time being.
Old 5th May 2005, 01:30 PM   #16
Beady
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally posted by supercorgi
Tell me why are all the bigfoot videos so jumpy and out of focus?
For pretty much the same reason, I suppose, that all the UFO photos are so blurred, grainy and out-of-focus.

Y'know, the thought just occured to me that maybe those videos and photos are perfectly fine; maybe it's the UFOs and Bigfoots (feet?) that are grainy, jumpy, and out-of-focus.
I tolerate with utmost latitude the right of others to differ with me in opinion without imputing to them criminality. I know too well all the weaknesses and uncertainty of human reason to wonder at its different results. -- Thomas Jefferson

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2005, 01:35 PM   #17
DavoMan
Critical Thinker

While searching for this video, I came accross a brilliant example of how people are already reading into stills of the footage & making up woo explanations for what they see:

http://www.beckjord.com/bigfoot/sulphurbf.html
Old 5th May 2005, 01:42 PM   #18
Yaotl
Critical Thinker

Quote:
While searching for this video, I came accross a brilliant example of how people are already reading into stills of the footage & making up woo explanations for what they see:

There's reaching, and then there's stuff like that.
Old 5th May 2005, 01:49 PM   #19
Niklas
New Blood

Quote:
Originally posted by Yaotl
There's reaching, and then there's stuff like that.
That site has to be a joke.
Niklas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2005, 02:31 PM   #20
Odin
Atheistic Aesir

Quote:

<marquee>pareidolia! </marquee>

with added orbs!

-Jack T Chick

-Gene Ray

"Leo Jean has attained the highest spiritual status of any person on Earth. His spirit is one of the oldest and most powerful in the universe, and is the most powerful on Earth."
-Leo Jean
Odin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2005, 02:48 PM   #21
DavoMan
Critical Thinker

Thats JUST the word I was looking for
Old 5th May 2005, 02:49 PM   #22
Luke T.

Quote:
Waaa this is awful. Hey could somebody perhaps upload the video to a webserver? I would be happy to host it also for a time being.
If I knew how to copy a video from a web site, I would. But now, even if I did know how, it is too late. The video is gone.

I'm sure someone out there in the world copied it and it will be on Kazaa soon.
Old 5th May 2005, 02:51 PM   #23
Luke T.

Quote:
Originally posted by Odin
<marquee>pareidolia! </marquee>

Jesus Christ on a Band-Aid, Batman! That's a cool word!

Old 5th May 2005, 04:05 PM   #24
cbish
Graduate Poster

When I was in college, I had a Bigfoot suit. My friends & I would put it on at night and go run out in front of cars! It was great fun. It's also amazing we weren't killed; either by auto or by gunshot! . I wonder what I did with that thing.

My brother goes bigfoot hunting about once a year up by Weaverville CA. He goes with notorious Bigfoot hunters Jim Beam and Jack Daniels.

If English was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for you!
cbish is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2005, 12:21 AM   #25
Beady
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally posted by cbish
My brother goes bigfoot hunting about once a year up by Weaverville CA. He goes with notorious Bigfoot hunters Jim Beam and Jack Daniels.
There was something on the Travel Channel(?) a few weeks ago, called "Bigfootville," about supposed sightings in the midwest. One sequence followed a newspaper reporter and two off-duty cops out into the woods on a pitch-black night, to a place where the cops had previously claimed to have "Seen Something." Generally, the (night vision) video showed this small group of people standing around in the woods, saying things like, "What's that?" and "Look, over there! On the ridge! What is it?" and "It's throwing rocks at us!" Every now and then the camera would pan into the woods where one of the yabbos was pointing with a laser. About the only thing the video showed during such pans was the closest of the trees and a bright spot of light as the laser flitted around.

I've been in the woods on moonless nights, and I don't know how any of these fools were seeing each other, let alone "Something On The Ridge." And I've thrown rocks at barking dogs late at night; you can't see where they land, or hear when they hit; it's a singularly frustrating time for target practice.

My favorite part was when one of the off-duty cops takes out his pistol and starts firing onto the trees. Why? At what? My immediate thought was, "I'm glad I don't live in this idiot's county!"

The thought has since occurred that maybe this wasn't a real event, that that wasn't a real reporter and (please god!) those two armed lunatics weren't real cops.
I tolerate with utmost latitude the right of others to differ with me in opinion without imputing to them criminality. I know too well all the weaknesses and uncertainty of human reason to wonder at its different results. -- Thomas Jefferson

I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th May 2005, 09:46 PM   #26
Red Siegfried
Muse

Being a fan of the big guy myself, here's my opinion of the video (I Tivoed it when it was on A Current Affair).

I think it's humanoid. That's about all I can say, because the video is completely useless junk. Way too damn far away, was too blurry. Completely inconclusive. I can't even say for sure it's a humanoid (head, two arms, two legs). Could be anything.

On a side note, Dr. Rheul was on A Current Affair. Remember him from the early days of the Sci-Fi Channel?
Old 6th May 2005, 09:56 PM   #27
Red Siegfried
Muse

Quote:
Originally posted by Beady
There was something on the Travel Channel(?) a few weeks ago, called "Bigfootville," about supposed sightings in the midwest. One sequence followed a newspaper reporter and two off-duty cops out into the woods on a pitch-black night, to a place where the cops had previously claimed to have "Seen Something." Generally, the (night vision) video showed this small group of people standing around in the woods, saying things like, "What's that?" and "Look, over there! On the ridge! What is it?" and "It's throwing rocks at us!" Every now and then the camera would pan into the woods where one of the yabbos was pointing with a laser. About the only thing the video showed during such pans was the closest of the trees and a bright spot of light as the laser flitted around.

I've been in the woods on moonless nights, and I don't know how any of these fools were seeing each other, let alone "Something On The Ridge." And I've thrown rocks at barking dogs late at night; you can't see where they land, or hear when they hit; it's a singularly frustrating time for target practice.

My favorite part was when one of the off-duty cops takes out his pistol and starts firing onto the trees. Why? At what? My immediate thought was, "I'm glad I don't live in this idiot's county!"

The thought has since occurred that maybe this wasn't a real event, that that wasn't a real reporter and (please god!) those two armed lunatics weren't real cops.
I saw that Bigfootville show but I don't remember much of it.

I don't know for sure if I'm remembering the same show, but I remember there was a segment with a couple of Indian guides leading the camera crew around in a location where Bigfoot had supposedly been sighted. I could swear as they led the camera crew around they were trying not to laugh. Then they pointed out a footprint. I'll be damned if I could see a footprint. I suppose if you point at the ground and insist on it hard enough, you could convince people sometimes that there was a footprint there even if there wasn't. Then the one guide pointed way the heck across a valley and swore he saw Bigfoot running around over there. The camera zooms in and once again, you couldn't even tell what it was at all .. I couldn't even see for sure that the thing was moving. In my opinion, a classic example of the power of suggestion.

See that thing way over there two miles away? Yeah? That's Bigfoot. Don't believe me? Well, you know, those Native American people are more attuned to the wilderness and have keener eyes than the white man.

Sorry I got on a tangent there. When I saw that bit on the show I kind of felt disgusted and insulted since the impression I got was that they were trying to imply that because these two guides were Native American that they somehow automatically have keener senses and some link to the natural world. That's just sterotyping, plain and simple. But maybe that's just me seeing the boogeyman of racism hiding under every bed.

But the best part was, get this, the Native American guide that spotted Bigfoot all the way across the valley had HUGE A** FREAKIN COKEBOTTLE GLASSES on. Yeah, I'm sure his eyesight is excellent. Whatever.
Old 6th May 2005, 10:00 PM   #28
Red Siegfried
Muse

Quote:
Originally posted by cbish
When I was in college, I had a Bigfoot suit. My friends & I would put it on at night and go run out in front of cars! It was great fun. It's also amazing we weren't killed; either by auto or by gunshot! . I wonder what I did with that thing.
Please don't ever do anything so dangerous again. We need all the skeptics we can get!

And besides, on the very small chance that there is a bigfoot (I doubt it very much) you would be making it much more difficult to find the real thing.

But the more likely of the two scenarios is that someone might try to blow you away. Not good. Not to mention the fact that if you jumped out in front of someone like me on a dark night you'd probably cause me to soil myself and then I'd have to eliminate a witness
Old 7th May 2005, 07:22 AM   #29
mayday
Graduate Poster

And just how do you know these people are hoaxers?
wait a minute, I already know the answer to that.
You don't.

Instead of running your mouth why don't you join us on the next expedition this August in Washington state?
mayday is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2005, 07:35 AM   #30
Ashles
Pith Artist

Quote:
Originally posted by mayday
And just how do you know these people are hoaxers?
wait a minute, I already know the answer to that.
You don't.

Instead of running your mouth why don't you join us on the next expedition this August in Washington state?
Ghost hunting,
Bigfoot hunting,
EVP analysing,
Pendulum controlling...

I hope you find what you're looking for Mayday. I really do.
Old 7th May 2005, 09:15 AM   #31
Beady
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Siegfried
I don't know for sure if I'm remembering the same show, but I remember there was a segment with a couple of Indian guides leading the camera crew around in a location where Bigfoot had supposedly been sighted.
Yup, that's it. The bit I was talking about came on after the bit with the Indians. And I remember it pretty much the way you do.

BTW, The Travel Channel is still running the show; it was on in the last day or so.

Old 7th May 2005, 10:43 AM   #32
DavoMan
Critical Thinker

Oh my god look! Its bigfoot!
And he's typing on my keyboard!

RiiajkbajhaghaROARRRRRRrrrrmsdfhjdsk

Okay bigfoot is gone now. But thats my evidence. No I didn't type that myself. It was really big foot. Money please.
Old 7th May 2005, 11:26 AM   #33
Tony
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by supercorgi
I didn't see a darn thing in that video except some very blurry "thing" in the shadows. I couldn't make out anything. Tell me why are all the bigfoot videos so jumpy and out of focus? I videotape my dog running around and it's neither jumpy or out of focus. Why can't anyone make a decent video?
The only scientific conclusion is that bigfoot has magical powers which disrupt recording equipment within a certain radius.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company. - Mark Twain
Tony is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2005, 11:33 AM   #34
Odin
Atheistic Aesir

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony
The only scientific conclusion is that bigfoot has magical powers which disrupt recording equipment within a certain radius.
NO! bigfoot is an alien! It's not magic, but advanced alien technology that disrupts recording equiptment!

-Jack T Chick

-Gene Ray

-Leo Jean
Old 7th May 2005, 02:16 PM   #35
duggie
Thinker

This clip from "A Current Affair" introducing the intrepid adventurers as they gear up for their bigfoot expedition into the Canadian wilderness has to be the funniest piece of nonsense I've seen for a very long time:
http://www.acurrentaffair.com/bigfoot/index.html
Old 7th May 2005, 04:07 PM   #36
Beady
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally posted by duggie
This clip from "A Current Affair" introducing the intrepid adventurers as they gear up for their bigfoot expedition into the Canadian wilderness has to be the funniest piece of nonsense I've seen for a very long time:
http://www.acurrentaffair.com/bigfoot/index.html
Oh my god!!!

I don't know what was funnier: the leader wearing a pith helmet and fur-lined coat, carrying the red samsonite suitcase as they headed into the bush; or the rock star/chainsaw artist with the big lungs, "this modern Faye Wray, determined to be Bigfoot bait."

I just showed the clip to my wife. She says it reminds her of those loonies in San Diego, during the climactic "battle" scene at the end of "Attack of the Killer Tomatos."

Old 7th May 2005, 04:16 PM   #37
DavoMan
Critical Thinker

Okay I was laughing away when the music came on & that nerd-th with-th the retainer th-started talking - but dude - the blonde with the chainsaw?? Oh man.

Okay what was that someone said about there being integrity with big-foot searchers?

Besides, that black figure walks upright really well. I love these 'bigfoot experts' too.

Anybody notice that the shot of the 'bigfoot expert' on his computer had the monitors blurred? I think theres some kinda quality licence thing going on.

Anyway cheers for the link, duggie.
Old 7th May 2005, 05:42 PM   #38
Red Siegfried
Muse

Quote:
Originally posted by Beady
Oh my god!!!

I don't know what was funnier: the leader wearing a pith helmet and fur-lined coat, carrying the red samsonite suitcase as they headed into the bush; or the rock star/chainsaw artist with the big lungs, "this modern Faye Wray, determined to be Bigfoot bait."

I just showed the clip to my wife. She says it reminds her of those loonies in San Diego, during the climactic "battle" scene at the end of "Attack of the Killer Tomatos."
In the cartoon bubble above my head I can see The San Diego? Chicken hunting Bigfoot. LOL
Old 8th May 2005, 12:16 AM   #39
Beady
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Siegfried
In the cartoon bubble above my head I can see The San Diego? Chicken hunting Bigfoot. LOL
I'd rather go into the bush on a Bigfoot hunt with him than with that crew.

Wait a minute! I feel a psychic moment coming on!

(Ahem) I predict that the "A Current Affair" loonies will catch at least one bigfoot on video, but it will be indistinct as hell, and all the members of the crew will have something terribly profound to say about it.

I'll take my $million in small bills.

Old 8th May 2005, 03:23 AM   #40
Odin
Atheistic Aesir

More evidence that
Bigfoot is an alien!

-Jack T Chick

-Gene Ray

-Leo Jean

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal