ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Latest Commentary Issues

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 24th June 2005, 09:08 AM   #1
LFTKBS
Muse

The saddest letter I've read in a while

From this week's commentary:

" Dear Mr.Randi

I am 20 years old and my hole life ive been told im the devil child. I was suffing the net and came acrossed your challange and i have to say Good idea but i agree there are many hoaks and many frods out there people claimin things they have no idea nor expieranced in. Now i dont know what i am or if i really psychic but seence i was a child ive felt others pain and always seemed to know how to cheer them up and to know whats bothering them and i have moments that i can control fire and i have moments i see the future. Mr. Randi im sorry to waste your time but i do have to say you are right we all have visions in our dreams but the way you were talking about how psychics are just as amazed when some thing happens to them yes we are but thats not how it works or what i have come to believe. Its much like your imagination noone has ever told you you cant dream becouse it cant happen noone can see your dreams noone can know your fantisies with out you tellin them. Now i know you are alot smarter then me by a long shot but im just sharing what i have learned in my time of learning my "gift" "powers" what ever you would call them. I have found that you have verry rare acounts of seeing your own future. And as for a psychic to predict death its not right nor is it proper noone should have control of that info. I thank you for your time and im sorry to waste your time. Feel free to reply if not then im sorry thanks again"

I'm pretty bummed out. Randi's reply was great, but sometimes it feels like it's too late to help someone.

Goddammit.
LFTKBS is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2005, 09:37 AM   #2
jmercer
Question Everything

Re: The saddest letter I've read in a while

Quote:
Originally posted by LFTKBS
I'm pretty bummed out. Randi's reply was great, but sometimes it feels like it's too late to help someone.
(sigh)

Agreed. Heart-wrenching. But never give up hope for people. If you do - and I do - and everyone else does - then it really will be too late for them.
"Context is everything, and sophistry will not protect you." - chillzero
jmercer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2005, 05:34 PM   #3
Ducky
Titanium Puprhero

Re: Re: The saddest letter I've read in a while

Quote:
Originally posted by jmercer
(sigh)

Agreed. Heart-wrenching. But never give up hope for people. If you do - and I do - and everyone else does - then it really will be too late for them.
Ok, I won't give up hope for that kid, but can I give up hope on Sylvia Browne?

I'd *really* like to.
Ducky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2005, 07:54 PM   #4
Roadtoad
Bufo Caminus Inedibilis

I read Randi's response, and was reminded why I like being here.

This poor guy has been bludgeoned with wooisms from day one. He doesn't need any more intellectual abuse, he needs an open hand, and an opportunity to learn. I only hope he's got internet access, and time to read through what's being posted here.
Roadtoad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2005, 08:53 PM   #5
TruthSeeker
Illuminator

I read Randi's response and was impressed by it's warmth, respect and compassion.

We need to remember people like the writer of this letter whenever a new "woo" appears. Many have never had the opportunity to consider a rational approach. We should be ready to offer them some of the simple tools as Randi has demonstrated.

I am naive enough to believe that society will be changed by examination of ideas through books and the press, and that information can prove to be greater than the dissemination of stupidity - Dr. Seuss
TruthSeeker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th June 2005, 09:16 PM   #6
Ducky
Titanium Puprhero

Quote:
Originally posted by TruthSeeker
I read Randi's response and was impressed by it's warmth, respect and compassion.

We need to remember people like the writer of this letter whenever a new "woo" appears. Many have never had the opportunity to consider a rational approach. We should be ready to offer them some of the simple tools as Randi has demonstrated.
I also was touched by his warmth.

My girlfriend was reading over my shoulder and noted how genuine Randi is (she said seems.)

I agree with you.

Except about Sylvia Browne. I still would like to write her off.
Ducky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2005, 05:54 AM   #7
BillyJoe
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, I got a tear in my eye as well.

But then I remembered how he treated another enquirer a while back, and I siphoned that tear off down my naso-lacrimal duct before it spilled out over my cheek.

But then I thought, isn't that amazing, at nearly eighty years of age, he's still learning.

But then, later on, I read where is he still using that unmentionable word which I thought had been flushed down the sink about twelve months back.

Oh well.

BillyJoe.
(Forget it, I'm a fan)
BillyJoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » Welcome to ISF » Other Skeptical Organizations » JREF » Latest Commentary Issues