ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags grey , turn , hair , puvic

Old 12th April 2003, 03:17 PM   #1

Why Pubic Hair Does Not turn Grey?

I mean like the hair of the head.

Do you know some special reasons?

Thanks,
S&S

Edited to fix the spelling of "pubic".
  Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2003, 03:38 PM   #2
Lord Kenneth
Banned

Also, is there such a thing as "pubic baldness"?
Lord Kenneth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2003, 04:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark Cobra
Also, is there such a thing as "pubic baldness"?
Now I am more confused.

Is puvic or pubic the right spelling?

Is "puvis" in spanish language. Then I thought .....puvic.

Thanks,
S&S
  Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2003, 05:05 PM   #4
Sanamas
Thinker

In English it is spelled "pubic".
Sanamas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2003, 05:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally posted by Sanamas
In English it is spelled "pubic".
Sorry then for the misspell.
You don't mean "public" , I guess.

I am not even sure if I misspelled in spanish. I guess I did it too.

Is not a regular word you see so often. I mean only the word , not the meaning.

Anyway, Why pubic hair does not turn gray or bald (D. Cobra incorporation)?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
S&S
Old 12th April 2003, 08:55 PM   #6
BillyJoe
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by S&S
Anyway, Why pubic hair does not turn gray or bald.
You are wrong about pubic hair not turning grey.....

Pubic hair does turn grey

Quote:
.....gray hair on the chest and pubic region generally only occurs some years after onset of gray hair on the scalp.....
And the reason that hair (including pubic hair) turns grey......

Quote:
The time and speed of gray hair onset is due in part to genetics..... [A]t least some of the genes that promote early gray hair onset are located on the X chromosome. However, there are most likely many genes that determine the time and speed of gray hair development located on several human chromosomes. What genes determine gray hair is not known and much research needs to be done in this area. The environment may also potentially modify gray hair development but there is effectively no research on this subject.
regards,
BillyJoe
My joke about freewill: There is no basis for it.
BillyJoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th April 2003, 11:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally posted by BillyJoe
You are wrong about pubic hair not turning grey.....

Pubic hair does turn grey

And the reason that hair (including pubic hair) turns grey......

regards,
BillyJoe
Hi Billy Joe:

I appreciate your time looking for that link.
Should we trust it? I mean : because is only a sentence with not enough information , it is a fact?

How is the sequence? Head -chest -pubic?

How many years after your hair grey on the scalp?

All hair grey on the scalp men necesarilly turn grey their pubic hair?

What is the difference of those hairs?

Do you have some "close" information?

I don't know, maybe some man like Mr.Randi "look". It can be a woman too.

I did have that "analysis", but was just an empiric thought.
Or maybe that person colored that region and not the hair of the head.
I still have my doubts.
Anyway, I appreciate your information.

Thanks,
S&S
Old 13th April 2003, 12:07 AM   #8
BillyJoe
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by S&S
I appreciate your time looking for that link.
Should we trust it? I mean : because is only a sentence with not enough information , it is a fact?
Why would they friggin' well bother to lie. I mean its not vital to anyones belief in God or anything

Quote:
Originally posted by S&S
How is the sequence? Head -chest -pubic?
Head then chest and pubic.

Quote:
Originally posted by S&S
How many years after your hair grey on the scalp?
A few years - it says so in that link that you didn't read

Quote:
Originally posted by S&S
All hair grey on the scalp men necesarilly turn grey their pubic hair?
Yes, if they live long enough! (note: this is not a falsifiable statement )

Quote:
Originally posted by S&S
What is the difference of those hairs?
As I thought, you haven't read that link have you.

Quote:
Originally posted by S&S
Do you have some "close" information?
No, I don't have grey pubic hair.

Quote:
Originally posted by S&S
I don't know, maybe some man like Mr.Randi "look". It can be a woman too.
Randi can bugger off but the woman will be okay

Quote:
Originally posted by S&S
Thanks.
You're welcome.
BillyJoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2003, 12:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Why would they friggin' well bother to lie. I mean its not vital to anyones belief in God or anything

Head then chest and pubic.

A few years - it says so in that link that you didn't read

Yes, if they live long enough! (note: this is not a falsifiable statement )

As I thought, you haven't read that link have you.

No, I don't have grey pubic hair.

Randi can bugger off but the woman will be okay

You're welcome.
Hi Billy Joe:

I read the link, and that is why I asked you those questions.
The link is from an institution that is more concern in the hair of the head. Is some kind of commercial stuff.

Few years is very relative.

The sequence is not explained.

If you live "long enough" is not explained in the link.

The difference of the hairs is not explained. There is not a section related only to the study of pubic hair.

I did not ask you if you have grey pubic hair. I asked you if you can do a research.Or ask some questions.

Ok , do it to a woman.

Remember , mine is an empiric observation.

Thanks,
S&S
Old 13th April 2003, 12:35 AM   #10
reprise
Graduate Poster

As someone on the "wrong" side of 40, let me assure you that public hair does indeed thin turn grey and thin out with advancing age.
reprise is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2003, 12:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by reprise
As someone on the "wrong" side of 40, let me assure you that public hair does indeed thin turn grey and thin out with advancing age.
Hi Reprise:

Any evidence?

I mean , I am in that wrong side too. But "nananina". Nope.

When I was at some amazon tribes (25 years ago), older men and women had grey hair in their head, but not in their pubic hair.
At that time , some tribes were still naked, or poorly "protected".

Were people close to 60 years old.

Thanks,
S&S
Old 13th April 2003, 12:57 AM   #12
reprise
Graduate Poster

I remember the topic being discussed on Oprah once, but I can't remember which book was being promoted (it was one of those "things your mother never told you about turning 40"-type books, but I'm damned if I can remember the title).

FWIW, I've noticed the hair on my legs and under my arms thinning out, too (although not greying) , but I haven't noticed any hair loss on my scalp (apart from normal moulting).
Old 13th April 2003, 01:56 AM   #13
BillyJoe
Penultimate Amazing

S&S,

The link is from an institution that is more concern in the hair of the head. Is some kind of commercial stuff.

Yes, about treating hair loss but why would they lie about grey hair?

Few years is very relative.

Few = three.

The sequence is not explained.

They say chest and pubic hair follow a few (= three ) years later.

If you live "long enough" is not explained in the link.

No, that was my little joke - did you get it?

he difference of the hairs is not explained. There is not a section related only to the study of pubic hair.

If you search through the site you will find it - can't remember now where I found it. Something to do with the efects of DHT and receptor sites on the various hair follicles.

I did not ask you if you have grey pubic hair. I asked you if you can do a research.Or ask some questions.

I would like to do some research but I would like all my subjects to be female - is that okay? I would like to find out the earliest age that female pubic hair starts going grey. I would like to start at age 18.

.....do it to a woman.

reember, mine is an empiric observation.

You've already done the research?
Old 13th April 2003, 01:59 AM   #14
BillyJoe
Penultimate Amazing

Hi reprise, Sydney lost by 27 points.
Old 13th April 2003, 02:07 AM   #15
reprise
Graduate Poster

Quote:
Hi reprise, Sydney lost by 27 points.
I was born and raised in Victoria, so Sydney losing is just a sign that the Apocolypse isn't nigh just yet.
reprise is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th April 2003, 10:14 AM   #16

Quote:
S&S,

Yes, about treating hair loss but why would they lie about grey hair?

I would like to do some research but I would like all my subjects to be female - is that okay? I would like to find out the earliest age that female pubic hair starts going grey. I would like to start at age 18.

.....do it to a woman.

reember, mine is an empiric observation.

You've already done the research?
Hi Billy Joe:

Well , it seems all we have, until now, is a commercial link about trating hair loss ( in the head ).
It sounds to me like the others commercial links that sell any kind of products and treatments based in pseudo -scientist reports.

I think you did not read my post about my particular "research" . Is a little "up" than yours .

I think the way you want to handle your own "research" is very productive.
Reprise made a good contribution (about Opra's discussing the topic). But we don't have the result of the "discussion".

Thanks,
S&S
Old 13th April 2003, 10:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally posted by S&S

Now I am more confused.

Is puvic or pubic the right spelling?

Is "puvis" in spanish language. Then I thought .....puvic.

Thanks,
S&S
Es pubis en español también.

It´s pubis in spanish too.
Old 13th April 2003, 10:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally posted by gabriel

Es pubis en español también.

It´s pubis in spanish too.
Hi Gabriel :

Yes , You are right. I had my doubts before your post :"I am not even sure if I misspelled in spanish. I guess I did it too.Is not a regular word you see so often. I mean only the word , not the meaning. "

Then I checked and is ok your correction. Thanks.

Any comments about the topic, any research?
I guess your friend Patricio is a ginecologist . Or is related to medicine.

Thanks,
S&S

P.S.

Es grato ver una Ñ escrita. Viva Chile.
Old 14th April 2003, 12:37 AM   #19
Tesserat
JREF Kid

Carlos, a good thing to try when you have these burning questions, is to do some research. Go to a good search engine, (I use google), and start to try different combinations. I tried "greying pubic hair", and got over 400 hits. I think you can pretty much accept that pubic hair can, indeed go grey. There are many variations due to different genetic backgrounds. For example, my dad is 65, and only has a very few grey hairs on his head, while his younger brother went grey at the age of 30.

I've seen many men with grey pubic hair in the change room of the public pool near where I live.

So, pubic hair can go grey. And people are different. That shouldn't be a big surprise.

If it wasn't for the 97%, I would have posted here about 25 times
Tesserat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2003, 04:50 AM   #20
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Re: Why Pubic Hair Does Not turn Grey?

Quote:
Originally posted by S&S

Thanks,
S&S

Pubic hair does turn gray; I have seen gray pubic hair.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2003, 05:25 AM   #21
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

On the b/v spelling: It is not so surprising that you should be in doubt since b and v are mostly pronounced alike in Spanish. But it does highlight the usefulness of doing at least minimal research before posting. Like at least looking up central words in your dictionary

Hans
Old 14th April 2003, 05:45 AM   #22
BillyJoe
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally posted by S&S
Well , it seems all we have, until now, is a commercial link about trating hair loss ( in the head ).
It sounds to me like the others commercial links that sell any kind of products and treatments based in pseudo -scientist reports.
You've got to be joking.

They are selling a treatment for hair loss and they're going to give a lot of peudo-scientific information about grey hair? Why not real facts? It won't do their product any harm.

It is actually a very informative site about hair in general and very factual. I already knew most of these facts before reading this thread but I thought posting a link to something reliable to read would be more useful than a summary of my own knowledge.

Nevermind, I will move on.

regards,
BillyJoe
Old 14th April 2003, 07:29 AM   #23
DrMatt
Graduate Poster

My pubic hair is turning grey at exactly the same pace that the rest of my hair is turning grey.
I don't see that there really IS a phenomenon that needs to be explained.
Old 14th April 2003, 09:51 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally posted by Tesserat

I've seen many men with grey pubic hair in the change room of the public pool near where I live.

So, pubic hair can go grey. And people are different. That shouldn't be a big surprise.
Hi Tesserat:

Are you sure you were looking at the pubic hair?

Maybe..a little closer.

Thanks,
S&S

P.S.
If you goggled, please sent us a not commercial link.
I mean a scientific evidence.
I don't care about my empiric assumption.
I don't want to win nothing. Just post the evidence.
Old 14th April 2003, 12:29 PM   #25
tim
Lasiorhinus latifrons
Combat Division

Hi S&S
Pubic hair does go grey. Mine has, but I'm not prepared to prove it. My head hair started going grey about 25, and by the time I was 45 it was white. My beard is still mostly black, but my pubes (I can't believe I'm telling you lot this!) started going grey about the age of 40. I am now 53.
Other people I know have grey pubes as well.
That's all the detail you're gonna get!

Hubbard's Law: Don't take life too seriously; you won't get out of it alive.
tim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2003, 02:01 PM   #26
Tesserat
JREF Kid

Carlos, I'm not going to send you links. My suggestion to you was to do some research. You came onto the boards, asking why pubic hair doesn't turn grey. You could have answered your question with a few minutes on the internet.

You don't believe the people here who say that their pubic hair has turned grey?

Are you really saying that you believe that no pubic hair turns grey?

Prediction: Carlos will not answer the last two questions directly (i.e. yes or no)

Tesserat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th April 2003, 04:38 PM   #27

Quote:
Carlos, I'm not going to send you links. My suggestion to you was to do some research. You came onto the boards, asking why pubic hair doesn't turn grey. You could have answered your question with a few minutes on the internet.

You don't believe the people here who say that their pubic hair has turned grey?

Are you really saying that you believe that no pubic hair turns grey?

Prediction: Carlos will not answer the last two questions directly (i.e. yes or no)
Hi Tesserat:

Since you did not answer my question if you really were looking to the pubic hair "in the change room of the public pool near where you live" , I will answer your questions.

1) Do I have to beleive?
2) Nope. I just made an empiric question , based on an empiric research.

Now you can help us with some real scientific evidence. And everybody happy. Is not a matter of wining something.

Look for example Billy Joe's commercial link :

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.....gray hair on the chest and pubic region generally only occurs some years after onset of gray hair on the scalp.....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now read Dr.Matt quote: "My pubic hair is turning grey at exactly the same pace that the rest of my hair is turning grey."

Thanks,
S&S
Old 15th April 2003, 01:38 AM   #28
richardm
Philosopher

Quote:
Originally posted by S&S
Look for example Billy Joe's commercial link :

quote:

Now read Dr.Matt quote: "My pubic hair is turning grey at exactly the same pace that the rest of my hair is turning grey."

Thanks,
S&S

Carlos, the key word in Billy Joe's link has been highlighted. It means "in most, but not all cases"

(Edited to fix formatting)
Rimmer: Look at her! Magnificent woman! Very prim, very proper, almost austere. Some people took her for cold, thought she was aloof. Not a bit of it. She just despised fools. Quite tragic, really, because otherwise I think we'd have got on famously.
richardm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2003, 02:25 AM   #29
Tesserat
JREF Kid

Yo, Carlos

Congratulations!! You answered a question!! I'm so proud of you.

I didn't answer your question because I thought you were joking. I have seen signs of a sense of humour in you before. If you really really want an answer. it'd be yes, I am sure it was the pubic hair I was looking at. I've been able to recognize human genitals, and pubic hair, both male and female, from quite a young age.

I don't know what the point of the rest of your reply was. Could you please clarify.

Old 15th April 2003, 04:54 AM   #30
BillyJoe
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Nevermind, I will move on.
I should have listened to myself.
Old 15th April 2003, 09:38 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally posted by richardm

Carlos, the key word in Billy Joe's link has been highlighted. It means "in most, but not all cases"

(Edited to fix formatting)
Yes Richard, I know that.
But it is still a commercial link. It could be a pseudo-scientific link.

Thanks,
S&S
Old 15th April 2003, 09:47 AM   #32

Quote:
Yo, Carlos

Congratulations!! You answered a question!! I'm so proud of you.

I didn't answer your question because I thought you were joking. I have seen signs of a sense of humour in you before. If you really really want an answer. it'd be yes, I am sure it was the pubic hair I was looking at. I've been able to recognize human genitals, and pubic hair, both male and female, from quite a young age.

I don't know what the point of the rest of your reply was. Could you please clarify.
Hi Tesserat:

Since pubic hair and genitals are so close..
And since genitals could be the most "interesting" section to be focused...

Ok, now go back to the pool change room and give a second view.

The rest of my reply was focused in the time . How many years after your hair (head) turned grey , the pubic hair also does.

Point of order: remember is just my empiric observation, is also some kind of unknown subject all around the world that even Oprha did a show about this topic.

Thanks,
S&S
Old 15th April 2003, 12:59 PM   #33
Kiri

Re: Why Pubic Hair Does Not turn Grey?

Quote:
Originally posted by S&S

Thanks,
S&S

No, no, I have a few grey hairs down there...
Old 15th April 2003, 01:53 PM   #34
Skeptical Greg
Agave Wine Connoisseur

You realize, of course, hair does not " turn " grey..

It actually lacks pigmentation, and upon close examination, is clear and appears grey when mixed with other, pigmented hair..

When it is all " grey " it appears to be white...

Quote:
Any evidence?
Were you requesting a photo or a sample?

Prove your computer is not a wimp ! Join Team 13232 !
Skeptical Greg is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2003, 04:23 PM   #35
Soapy Sam
NLH

Carlos. The answer to your question, as others have stated from experience, is:- yes, pubic hair, like any other hair, can lose pigment with age. This will vary between individuals, just like head hair. I started getting grey hair on my head in my early thirties. I'm 48 in a month or so. I'm grey down both temples. On top, I'm going bald before it goes grey.
I have a number of grey pubic hairs, though in general the colour (and amount) seems to be hanging on better than up top. There seems to be a more random distribution than on my head. I don't know if this is usual.
A visit to any mixed sauna will answer your question.
As for evidence- if you don't believe this simple statement, why would you believe a photograph, which might be faked as easily?
nb, my own researches indicate women grey at similar rates to men, but are much more assiduous about disguising it by dye and plucking. Perhaps your Amazon friends have similar cultural behaviour? It's not something I've seen mentioned by anthropologists. (Which is quite interesting in itself).
Whether there is any evolutionary advantage to greying or balding I don't know. I doubt it. Just a consequence of telomeres wearing out.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2003, 04:25 PM   #36
Soapy Sam
NLH

Hey D.C. You think teenage has it's problems? Just wait, mate.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th April 2003, 04:56 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally posted by Soapy Sam
Carlos.
A visit to any mixed sauna will answer your question.
As for evidence- if you don't believe this simple statement, why would you believe a photograph, which might be faked as easily?
nb, my own researches indicate women grey at similar rates to men, but are much more assiduous about disguising it by dye and plucking. Perhaps your Amazon friends have similar cultural behaviour? It's not something I've seen mentioned by anthropologists. (Which is quite interesting in itself).
Whether there is any evolutionary advantage to greying or balding I don't know. I doubt it. Just a consequence of telomeres wearing out.
Hi Soapy Sam:

I enjoyed your interesting post .

Sorry if I made you look at that region.
Of course I trust you and the others poster who said that .

But that is not a real evidence, only words .

Billy Joe posted a commercial link , poorly related to the topic.

I don't pretend that posters here (I prefer women) send their own naked pictures ( I know is not an evidence either) Even if Mr.Randi , just say so he has the same grey or white hair, is not an evidence.

But I am sure there must be scientific studies about the topic.
Those studies can even help bald people. Is a part of our body that is not well studied.
In spanish are two words : pelo y cabello . It depends to the hair of what region of your body are you refering,
I think in englih is only "hair". Also "pelo" is just for the hair of animals. "cabello" is for the hair of the head.

Maybe there is really a difference between those hairs,
Pubic hair is more curly (?) and strong -thicker(?), not so thin as the hair of the head.

Anyway, I appreciate all your posts , and remember this thread was only made based on empiric observations and some bla bla bla out there.

But... still some real evidence will be accepted.

Thanks,
S&S

P.S.

Or just have fun with the topic of the thread.
Old 15th April 2003, 05:13 PM   #38
Soapy Sam
NLH

A (humorous) English phrase for pubic hair is "Short and curlys".
I always was curious about this, because, while curlier than my head hair, my pubic hair actuall gets long and has to be trimmed. (By me, needless to say).
I think what affects hair length is the growth rate and the lifetime of the individual hair. I can only guess either mine grow fast or live longer than the norm.
I wonder if I could get them transplanted to my head?

You are right that it seems to be a neglected area of human study- any potential PhD students out there looking for a thesis?
Old 15th April 2003, 08:21 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally posted by Soapy Sam
A (humorous) English phrase for pubic hair is "Short and curlys".
I always was curious about this, because, while curlier than my head hair, my pubic hair actuall gets long and has to be trimmed. (By me, needless to say).
I think what affects hair length is the growth rate and the lifetime of the individual hair. I can only guess either mine grow fast or live longer than the norm.
I wonder if I could get them transplanted to my head?

You are right that it seems to be a neglected area of human study- any potential PhD students out there looking for a thesis?
Hi Soapy Sam:

Today I read a notice about how scientists finished (?) the study about the map of the "human genoma"(I don't know the correct word in english). You know something about that study Clinton and Blair supported about "genes".
The title of the news I read was something like : "Scientists completed 99,999% of the "book of life"".
Scientists of China,France, USA, Germany, England and Japan finished that study.
Amazing, interesting, but also I thought : What about if that 0,001% of the missing report belongs to the pubic hair?

Yes Soapy, you must wait a little more for your transplant.

Thanks,
S&S

P.S.
Maybe somebody can use the report of "the book of life" as a topic for another thread in this interesting section of the JREF forum.
Old 15th April 2003, 08:29 PM   #40

Cleopatra already did the thread.
I just read did.

Thanks,
S&S

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology