IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 20th August 2005, 03:59 PM   #1
rex
Thinker

Religious crackpots send their anti-evolution propaganda to 500 NZ schools

"A Christian lobby group has sent 500 kits about intelligent design - the idea that a higher being created life - to NZ state schools, sparking debate about whether schools should teach creationism."

The rest of the article is available online at:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3384352a10,00.html
rex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2005, 02:30 AM   #2
The Whether Man
Thinker

I hope that the schools present it in the same class as the Maui legends, if they do decide to use it.
The Whether Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2005, 03:45 AM   #3
Kenny 10 Bellys
Critical Thinker

At least the School head in the article put it in it's proper place, pointing out that they cant teach non-science in a science class. These ID crackpots keep pushing it as a theory, when all it is is yet another ancient creation myth from a time before science dragged the world up out of that kind of nonsense. With any luck it wont wash with the New Zealanders and they'll kick it into touch right away.
Old 21st August 2005, 04:10 AM   #4
DavoMan
Critical Thinker

The Destiny church has a political party and they're gaining popularity. They have been pushing a massive anti-gay idea. They protested the civil union bill (it passed, gays can get a civil union - horray).

Reciently two MPs used the courts to get included in an election debate on TV. Destiny church is trying to do the same thing with the next election debate in a few weeks.

Hey, I emailed the Education Minister Trevor Mallard. I got back an automated reply to say that its in his inbox & I can expect a reply. Heres what I said in my email:
Quote:
Dear Mr Mallard.

My name is Dave Wright from Christchurch. I am 22. I am extremely concerned about the latest actions of the 'Focus on the Family' group, part of the Prespytarian Church.. As you may be aware, they sent 500 copies of their creationism text & DVD to New Zealand schools.

I am deeply concerned because they are promoting their particular creationism belief as a science. I am a strong supporter of correct and unbiased information in our schools. For quite some time now, groups overseas have attempted to persuade schools, judges, commities etc that there is a responsibility to treat their particular creationism beliefs as though they have the credibility of scientific method, and should be taught 'along side evolution/science'.

It is very unfair to let this group claim it's beliefs are based on science and that is that. There are lots of these groups, some creationists say science is wrong, some groups say science is correct but evolution is wrong. They mostly disagree with each other on almost everything.

I am unsure how you stand on this issue. It is very very important that I convince you that there are many creationism theories and they are just that. Science is the benchmark for which all theories are proven/disproven.
Science is independent & objective, without moral obligation. I don't need to remind the Minister of Education on what the scientific method is, and how it is the root of all education in our public schools. Science verifies itself, corrects itself, etc. Technology and progress are through science.

Creationists essentially grab bits of information for which it seems science hasn't explained yet, or truly hasn't explained yet, and say 'this is where God is.' Its a 'God of the gaps theory' essentially.

Please Mr Mallard, I understand it's election time and you are very careful with what you do in the public eye, but I urge you to take control of this situation and remind this group that religion is not a science. Thousands of years ago we had icons and stories to explain the world around us. Now we have science. Please, dont allow us to go backwards

Please, do not let these groups persuade our schools into their particular religious view. They aren't after a 'win' in the debate they are raising about creationism. All they want is the debate. That is the key, Mr Mallard. It gives people the impression that their religion is on par with science. It goes against the very core of our responsibility to provide the best information for our kids in school. Religion is fine when identified as religion, but to persuade people religion is science is not only dishonest, it is outright dangerous.

Thank you very much for your time reading this email. I hope to get a response so I understand where you stand on this issue. Below are some references.

Dave Wright
Christchurch

An article on Stuff about this issue:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3384352a11,00.html

The web page of the 'Focus on the Family' group (a part of the prespytarian church):
http://www.knoxstc.org.nz/focus_on_family.htm

The New Zealand Association of Rationalists and Humanists
http://www.nzarh.org.nz/

The James Randi Educational Foundation ($1 Million paranormal challenge):
http://www.randi.org

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal