ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags munich

Old 26th December 2005, 10:03 AM   #1
Tmy
Philosopher

Anyone see "Munich"?

I was wondering if anyone got to see the movie. Was it bias? Any reason for people to be offended? Is it any good or accurate?

I remeber some History Channel show onhow the Mossad hunted the terrorists down. It was really interesting. They would post the guyz obituaries inthe paper BEFORE killing them. Total headgames with the terrorists. It also talked about the mistakes they made, and how some inncoent people were killed.
Old 26th December 2005, 10:28 AM   #2
zenith-nadir
Illuminator

I am off work until wednesday for Jesus's birthday and plan to see it if time allows. So far it has been met with more praise than condemnation, even by some of the murdered athletes' widows.

I am old enough to remember watching it unfold on TV. I also remember that other Palestinian terrorists then hijacked a Lufthansa Boeing 727 over Turkey and demanded the release of the Palestinian terrorists held by Germany for the Munich massacre.

Germany did cave in and released the Palestinian "Munich massacre" terrorists.

{edited to add}

Here's an interesting thesis by the Marine Corps Command and Staff College regarding the Israeli response to the Munich massacre.

Last edited by zenith-nadir; 26th December 2005 at 10:57 AM.
zenith-nadir is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2005, 12:48 PM   #3
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, I saw it yesterday. Two thumbs up! Very good. I had a few complaints with it, but mostly minor stuff. It won't be my best film of the year, but will almost certainly be in the top 10.

Like my friend said - both sides (Jew & Arab) are upset with Spielberg, so he must have done something right!

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2005, 02:03 PM   #4
zenith-nadir
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Central Scrutinizer View Post
Like my friend said - both sides (Jew & Arab) are upset with Spielberg, so he must have done something right!
All these "upset" people.....could you provide a link or two?
Old 26th December 2005, 02:04 PM   #5
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by zenith-nadir View Post
All these "upset" people.....could you provide a link or two?
Just talking heads I've seen on the tube. No links.

The Central Scrutinizer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2005, 02:21 PM   #6
Freakshow
526a0118ae8c43594f3cfdcabb3274ed

Has Spielberg said anything about why he chose to portray this particular aspect of the situation? I believe he shows the assasinations afterwards, correct? Why did he make the choice to make the movie about that, as opposed to other aspects, such as the event itself? Or the planning and actions that led up to it?

I was just wondering, that's all. Anybody got a link to an interview where he discusses this?
Freakshow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2005, 02:37 PM   #7
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Freakshow View Post
Has Spielberg said anything about why he chose to portray this particular aspect of the situation? I believe he shows the assasinations afterwards, correct? Why did he make the choice to make the movie about that, as opposed to other aspects, such as the event itself? Or the planning and actions that led up to it?

I was just wondering, that's all. Anybody got a link to an interview where he discusses this?
No, I have not heard why he decided on this. However, it is based on a book, the name of which I don't recall, so maybe the book is only about the aftermath.

Old 26th December 2005, 02:42 PM   #8
Freakshow
526a0118ae8c43594f3cfdcabb3274ed

No, I have not heard why he decided on this. However, it is based on a book, the name of which I don't recall, so maybe the book is only about the aftermath.
Oh, interesting. I didn't know it was based on a book. I'll have to look into that. Thanks, CS.
Freakshow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2005, 02:49 PM   #9
Bob Klase
Master Poster

Oh, interesting. I didn't know it was based on a book. I'll have to look into that. Thanks, CS.
The title of the book is 'Vengeance'. I remember reading it 20 years ago when it was first published. Haven't seen the movie yet.
Bob Klase is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2005, 05:01 PM   #10
patchbunny
Graduate Poster

There's already a documentary that goes into the event itself, titled One Day In September. I've never seen a film on the actual assassinations that followed, so this (I think) is an original entry into that subject.
"So, they laugh at my boner, will they? I'll show them! I'll show them how many boners the Joker can make!" -- The Joker, Batman #66
patchbunny is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2005, 08:31 AM   #11
Kiless

Originally Posted by patchbunny View Post
There's already a documentary that goes into the event itself, titled One Day In September. I've never seen a film on the actual assassinations that followed, so this (I think) is an original entry into that subject.
Yes, that's what I watched when researching documentaries to teach to some upper-school students. So, I'll go see this film. I want to make my own mind up.

One interesting summation, The War on Munich - from Salon.com, by Michelle Goldberg:

"The same day, Variety editor Peter Bart published a dispatch about awards season campaigning. Noting that Spielberg was lying low, he wrote, "Having gone to such excruciating pains to explain that there is no 'right' and 'wrong' in the Middle East (thus adding to the film's exhaustive length) the filmmaker understandably wants to avoid the angst of the interview circuit." (Variety had already given the movie a scathing review.) The following day, the Israeli newspaper Haaretz reported on Ehud Danoch, Israel's consul general in Los Angeles, airing similar criticisms. "According to Danoch, throughout the film Spielberg equates the Mossad agents and the terrorists," Haaretz wrote, quoting him saying, "This is an incorrect moral equation. We in Israel know this. There is also a certain pretentiousness in attempting to treat a painful, decades-long conflict by means of quite superficial statements in a two and a half hour movie.
As the political attacks pile up, the real meaning of "Munich" -- a flawed but powerful and, yes, complex movie -- threatens to get lost amid all the huffing and bleating...
...But the political discussion around "Munich" has already been framed in a way that obscures the film itself."

I admit... I'm also going to see it as Eric Bana (Avner) is an Australian actor.
Kiless is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2005, 09:17 AM   #12
HarryKeogh

Yes, I saw it yesterday. Two thumbs up!
If it's your review shouldn't it just be "thumbs up" instead of "two thumbs up"? Or do you have a co-host we don't know about?
HarryKeogh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2005, 09:20 AM   #13
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by HarryKeogh View Post
If it's your review shouldn't it just be "thumbs up" instead of "two thumbs up"? Or do you have a co-host we don't know about?
Yes, my friend is the co-host! But he doesn't post here, so I have to convey his review for him.

Old 27th December 2005, 09:22 AM   #14
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Kiless View Post
I admit... I'm also going to see it as Eric Bana (Avner) is an Australian actor.
I thought it might be fun to cross Munich with The Hulk. Then, when the bad guys are shooting at Eric Bana, he could become the Hulk and squash them!

Old 27th December 2005, 09:24 AM   #15
DaveW
Critical Thinker

Spielberg did a bit of an interview about "Munich" in a recent Time.
DaveW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2005, 10:04 AM   #16
Magyar
Graduate Poster

Just a side note. There has been a movie made on this subject already.
I can't recall the name, but supposedly it is factually based on the leader
of the team who got recruded to Musad then quit, moved to NY and then went back to Israel. In the movie he was a captain(?) of some tank unit.

THe guy who played the lead was the guy who was Tony Montana's partner in Scarface.

We’re not going to be disrespected,” Marlin Stutzman (R-IN) told Drucker Tuesday night. “We have to get something out of this. And I don’t know what that even is.”
GOP at it's best.
Magyar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2005, 10:42 AM   #17
Grammatron
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Magyar View Post
Just a side note. There has been a movie made on this subject already.
I can't recall the name, but supposedly it is factually based on the leader
of the team who got recruded to Musad then quit, moved to NY and then went back to Israel. In the movie he was a captain(?) of some tank unit.

THe guy who played the lead was the guy who was Tony Montana's partner in Scarface.
You're thinking of Sword of Gideon (1986)
Old 27th December 2005, 08:29 PM   #18
HeyLeroy
Vegan Cannibal

Originally Posted by Grammatron View Post
You're thinking of Sword of Gideon (1986)
Grr, you beat me to it! I have the DVD, not a bad flick. I read Vengeance when it first came out. It was a really gripping read.
I ♣ my baby Harp Seal.
HeyLeroy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2005, 06:46 AM   #19
Garrette
Penultimate Amazing

I, too, read Vengeance about 20 years ago. I was impressed with the details the author revealed but also with his changing moral views.

iirc, he maintained his belief in the righteousness of accurately targeted retribution but became disgusted with the collateral damage Israel was willing to bear and very upset with the methods of the Mossad not only in dealing with the terrorists but in dealing with him and his agents.

Recommended read.
Old 28th December 2005, 12:06 PM   #20
Jas
Queen Skankarella of Ho Nation

The movie doesn't open here until the 6th, I'm hoping to see it.

I read Vengeance some years back, though I should probably go back to it before seeing the movie.

Lest We Forget
Jas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2005, 02:19 PM   #21
Skeptic
Banned

The criticism of the movie is mostly based on the fact that it makes the mossad agents who got the Palestinian terrorists who killed the athletes have second thoughts, doubts, etc. I doubt this is intended to create a moral equivalence between the two. It seems to me Spielberg simply knows that simple characters, no matter how morally in the right, make for a boring movie.
Skeptic is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics