ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags system , bioresonance

Old 20th January 2006, 01:59 PM   #1
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

New bioresonance system!

e-Libra-8 [TM]

Quote:
An effective bioresonance system for all complementary practitioners whatever your discipline.

A fully automatic PC based analysis and balancing treatment system which includes showing the results of the treatment scan and a Homoeopathic remedy production system.
I've never seen anything like it! Is there any possible shade of quackery not covered?

Rolfe.
Old 20th January 2006, 03:02 PM   #2
The Black Fox
Scholar

"It reveals weaknesses in the immune system, including those that are genetically innate"

Incredible, absolutely incredible. How on earth can a simple pair of electrodes do that? Their other products are just as astonishing.
The Black Fox is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2006, 03:57 PM   #3
popsy
Thinker

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
e-Libra-8 [TM]

I've never seen anything like it! Is there any possible shade of quackery not covered?

Rolfe.
And so cheap! :-/
popsy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2006, 04:02 PM   #4
jj
Penultimate Amazing

Oy.
jj is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2006, 04:14 PM   #5
brodski
Tea-Time toad

"N.D., D.O., D.H.O.M., F.H.M.A. (U.K.)" any guesses as to what these letter mean after the quacks name?

OK, so i suspect that the real answer is "not a lot", but my curiosity has been aroused, and my google-fu is not sufficiently advanced to get an answer.
brodski is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2006, 04:23 PM   #6
Dogdoctor
Canis Doctorius

I don't think it is new. Look here
http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quackery...s/electro.html

Dogdoctor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2006, 04:30 PM   #7
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

Oh well, it's new to me! And it has a version for the iPod!

Rolfe.
Old 20th January 2006, 04:31 PM   #8
AnotherSillyAlias
Graduate Poster

I have decided to order the Water Enhancer and the Food & Drink Energiser.

Both modestly priced and guaranteed to improve my life immensely.

It must be true, it's on a web page.
AnotherSillyAlias is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2006, 04:35 PM   #9
Dogdoctor
Canis Doctorius

Oh well, it's new to me! And it has a version for the iPod!

Rolfe.
The iPod thingy is new. They're always coming up with new ways to make a buck.

Dogdoctor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2006, 04:42 PM   #10
AnotherSillyAlias
Graduate Poster

This stuff sort of set me to thinking about something that I occasionally ponder in the absence of anything better to think about.

The people make this junk and, no doubt, make lots of money. People buy it and either realise they have been ripped off or delude themselves into thinking their life has been miraculously improved.

Is there any moral obligation here for any of us to tell these people they shouldn't make this stuff or stop people buying it?
AnotherSillyAlias is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2006, 04:47 PM   #11
sionep
Scholar

e-Libra-8 [TM]

Rolfe.
I have seen such a claim with similar machines here in New Zealand sometimes in the late 1990s (~1998). The case involved a 5-year-old boy who was undergoing Radiotherapy for cancer.

The parents thought that the pain they had seen their child suffered during the treatment be stopped and seek alternative non-invasive treatment. They took their kid off from radiotherapy to an alternative treatment that involved a vibrating machine that can plug into your body via electrodes to cure cancer. The machine which they (alternative treatment centre) called 'Quantum Booster' is suppose to then generate a certain vibrational frequency such that it matches (tune-in-to) the cancer cells frequency in which this generated vibration is transmitted to the body to kill the cancer cells. One of the functionalities of the machine is to also transmit certain vibrational frequencies which can re-aligned the DNA, therefore curing different types of diseases.

The local health authorities of the hospital where the kid was undergoing radiotherapy, advised the parents against taking him off the treatment programme. The parents expressed to the physician who overseen the treatment, that some friends of theirs had recommended them about alternative non-invasive treatment which is painless as compared to radiotherapy. The physician told them that was fine, that they are free to do whatever they like in their own time since it is their choice anyway BUT the kid should stay in the radiotherapy programme. The parents ignored this advise from the physician and took the kid off the radio treatment completely. When the authority tried to contact the parents
that the treatment had lapsed, the parents never communicated back to the hospital authorities preferring to go alternative all the way. The health authorities then file a charge against the parents for medical negligence, unless they returned the boy to the radiotherapy treatment.

The hunt then begun. The police trailed the parents in their every move. Everyone of their friends were checked by the police to see if the parents/child are hiding there. This drama was a big news in the local media. Front page on the daily newspaper, first item on TV evening news, etc. It was pathetic that
some sympathisers helped to move the fugitives around the country. Of course there was a national debate regarding the proper action to take. From politicians, medical experts, alternative treatment supporters, celebrities, etc... Finally, the hospital authorities backed down and withdrew the charges against the parents.

The parents went with alternative treatment as homeopathy, Quantum Booster vibrator machines, etc. There were initial claims that the Quantum Booster had killed all the cancer cells. A few months later, the parents appeared on local national TV and plea for donations to take their kid to Mexico because the cancer is back. There were always of course very generous people who donated money. A medical expert at the time, made comments on the local paper saying that the claim of the Quantum Booster eliminating the cancer from the boy must be dismissed completely as nobody had verified it. In his opinion, that the cancer had always been with the boy during the treatment with Quantum Booster.

The parents finally made enough from donations and took a trip to Mexico to a centre for alternative
treatment that supposed to cure cancer. Finally the parents returned home from Mexico, knowing that all the hope and money they took to the Mexican alternative centre would be a happy ending. At the end the boy died. The cancer did spread to other parts of the body. The local physician who had overseen the radiotherapy treatment of the boy was interviewed on national TV, where he made a comment saying that if the boy (parents) chose to stay in the treatment programme, there was a great chance that cancer would have been eliminated completely. His comment was also backed up by some other physicians from different hospitals that were interviewed after him. The parents finally admitted to a local newspaper in an article about the whole affair that they made a big mistake. They cautioned others, of not going through the mistake they had. Well, this is a good lesson for the naives and the suckers here in New Zealand.

Now to the "bio-resonance system”, it is an upfront fraud. Looking at the descriptions of the system, it makes me laugh. The descriptions would appeal to the naives and also the suckers. The description is decorated with words that are very convincing to suckers.

In my profession, I have developed algorithms (mathematical computing procedures) in the field of Digital Signal Processing (DSP) for medical instrumentation applications. I have been contracted to two different local medical instrumentation companies in the past. Some of my involvement includes development of EEG (electroencephalogram) instrumentations
for the detection of seizure onset in epilepsy, anomaly detection of foetal heart rate, analysing brain tumor related EEG via isolation of other brain non-related signals, etc, etc. Since, I am not a medical doctor, the software engineer team worked along with doctors. Doctors would come to the lab armed with information in latest medical journals about some interesting publications. We, the software team, dig out other physics or electrical engineering peer review journals to find out of how to implement such algorithms in the final product designed.

In reading about the description of this "bio-resonance system", I am stunned to see supposed functionalities, which are un-achievable or even if there is such thing in Digital Signal Processing. Here are some of the claims:

1) "Based on resonance and bio-energetic feedback through electrodes connected to the patient it scans and balances for over 275,000 imbalances (physical and psychological), poisonous substances and deficiencies in a 100% objective and automatic fashion".

This is completely rubbish. There is no such thing as resonance feedback at all. I don't know where, they got this ridiculous idea of resonance feedback from. I am 100% sure that it is not something published in reputable peer reviewed signal processing physics & engineering journal as, "IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON SIGNAL PROCESSING", "IEEE Signal Processing Letters" , "Elsevier Journal of Signal Processing" , "Neural Information Processing Systems", etc...

2)"The system scans for example the meridians and over 400 acupuncture points and automatically stimulates/balances the ones not balanced."

This is garbage. I do not know what signal balances are they talking about, here. There is no such thing in the literature about this. Only a fool and a homeopath will fall into this crap.

3)"The complete body scanning, balancing, and the remedy production takes about 50 minutes"

This is absurd. Complete body scanning? It is a joke, which perhaps school kids can pick it up. One difficulty in my experience in developing medical instrumentations software is the noise, which comes from every point in the body and is very difficult to isolate or filtered. Traditional techniques of using artificial intelligence to isolate unwanted noise have evolved recently with more sophisticated mathematics that can reduce unwanted noise to a very low level.

I better stop making comments about this system, because it looks like a child play to me, not worth any more comment. If their system does of what they claim, then they would deserve a Nobel Prize either in medicine or physics, whichever category the Nobel laureate committee choose to award them in. However, as far I understand, they are making claim in areas that they think they are first to it where physicists, medical scientists, electrical engineers, computer scientists etc, have not discover those techniques yet. I think that this fraud cannot simply be ignored.

Finally, I am going to email them directly, and challenge them on the ridiculous claims regarding the technology of Digital Signal Processing and see if they have an explanation or answer for me. I will publish any correspondence here if I ever get an answer.

Last edited by sionep; 20th January 2006 at 05:03 PM.
sionep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2006, 08:14 PM   #12
Lynx2174
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by sionep View Post
Finally, I am going to email them directly, and challenge them on the ridiculous claims regarding the technology of Digital Signal Processing and see if they have an explanation or answer for me. I will publish any correspondence here if I ever get an answer.
you must be new to the interweb or something. There are literally THOUSANDS of products and services that are at LEAST as retarded as this one. people actually sell red led lights to cure diseases. RED freaking LIGHTS. when we get the complete spectrum from the sun, and we get all kinds of reds out of incadesant bulbs.

it's enough to destroy one's faith in humanity.

they'll never listen. they never do.

This isn't *********** rocket surgery.
Lynx2174 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2006, 08:29 PM   #13
sionep
Scholar

Originally Posted by Lynx2174 View Post
you must be new to the interweb or something.

it's enough to destroy one's faith in humanity.

they'll never listen. they never do.
Yep, I am really new to this sort of skeptic web forum. I have been a skeptic for over 15 years, but never joined any forum , group, organisations which advocates to expose frauds as homeopaths, psychics, numerologists, faith-healers, etc... That is why I never looked on the internet or bothered with those fraud practitioners. There are other forums which I am a member, but those forums are related to what I do for a living (software discussion forums). I have just joined this forum for over two weeks now, and I find it interesting and encouraging for me to participate in exposing frauds and quackery practices which could cause detrimental effects to innocent people's wellbeings. I must admit that I have posted messages here more than I have posted in software forums over the last two weeks since joining JREF.
sionep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology