ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th February 2006, 12:03 PM   #1
stephenv2
Scholar

I'm off to see "The INDIGO Evolution"

I'm an indie filmmaker and it's showing at a local indie venue.

http://www.theindigoevolution.com/ (take the quiz - both my wife and I are Indigo's )

Since I'm working currently finishing a film "Outside In" and having another film in pre-production that explore science from creative/artist/spiritual POV, whenever I attempt to explain them to someone who has seen "What the Bleep", I'm ALWAYS asked if I've seen "What the Bleep". I did see it but that's already been well debunked (plus the filmmaking was very good either).

The one thing I do seek to emulate for both these films is the word of mouth marketing and "touring the film first" business model which is why I'm off to see this screening and see how they work it.

It turns out, there are all sorts of connections between these two films. One of the most interesting is something called the Spiritual Cinema Circle which I've been encourage to seek funding and distribution from. However, despite agreeing with the general idea of films with a positive message, they seemed to have preponderance of films required you to turn off any semblance of critical thinking or basic questioning.

But they seem to be making money, money enough to fund films. "INDIGO Evolution" (their CAPS, not mine) is the first film supposedly funded by profits from the "Spiritual Cinema Circle DVD club"...

Maybe I need to start a DVD club to fund my films...

"Outside In" is now online

"The best education is film is to make one"
Stanley Kubrick, 1969
stephenv2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2006, 12:48 PM   #2
sophia8
Master Poster

Originally Posted by stephenv2 View Post
Why have they got a picture of Randi on their front page (bottom left)? Is he an INDIGO too? The rascal!
sophia8 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2006, 12:51 PM   #3
stephenv2
Scholar

Originally Posted by sophia8 View Post
Why have they got a picture of Randi on their front page (bottom left)? Is he an INDIGO too? The rascal!
That would be Ram Das who was the subject of a documentary distributed by the Spiritual Cinema Circle. Bearded guys, they look alike.

Stanley Kubrick, 1969
stephenv2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2006, 03:39 PM   #4
SirPhilip
Master Poster

Darn, looks like I'm not a blessed brat.

Post your results!
SirPhilip is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2006, 03:43 PM   #5
stephenv2
Scholar

Originally Posted by SirPhilip View Post
Darn, looks like I'm not a blessed brat.

Post your results!
But you are - you only need 5 or more to qualify

Stanley Kubrick, 1969
Old 4th February 2006, 07:30 PM   #6
valis
Muse

I'm mad at my wife

I am 44 years old and as a kid I would have scored darn near perfectly on this quiz. I always did terribly in school and failed at all sorts of things that I should have been able to do easily.

So a few years ago my wife convinces me to tell a doctor about my problems concentrating, he gives me some tasty Welbutrin and now I is a middle age junior maintaining a 3.2 avg in Comp Sci.

I thought she had done me a favor by discovering undiagnosed ADD.

Turns out she robbed me of my psychic destiny!

A song, by those guys...
valis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2006, 08:18 PM   #7
stephenv2
Scholar

Just got back from the film. First, nobody and I mean nobody was there. The place only seats about 50-60, but there were 10. The two guys who run the small theater, two organizers and six in the audience, including me.

Short review:

Slightly longer review:

Lots of talking heads, a sprinkling of graphics, lots of "new age" and contermporary folk-pop music...

The film quickly states there are children with "special abilities" which some people see as dark blue "indigo" auras. This is never debated or investigated, only debate is that maybe all children or most all children are capable of it.

These new children are most likely a new evolution of the human species although exactly how they know this is not explained nor does anyone discusss if this might cause reproduction problems soon...Strange how so many people don't know exactly what evolution means.

If you need your skeptic engine recharged see it. If you need to see how not to make an interesting film see it. Otherwise, it's a snooze-fest.

Stanley Kubrick, 1969
Old 5th February 2006, 08:02 PM   #8
eri
Critical Thinker

I'm looking through their message boards. Seems like the usual crap - spiritual connection, anti-vaxers, DNA activation. Don't vaccinate your indigo child - it messes up their DNA! Apparently we have 12 strands of DNA (and 12 additional 'spiritual' strands) but vaccination de-activates 21 of those. Who knew?
Old 5th February 2006, 08:09 PM   #9
eri
Critical Thinker

Oooh, they have a whole topic for spoonbending. Don't seem to be having much success, though.

I think the best part are all the teenagers and 20-somethings coming on to 'bless' people and talk about their own self-importance. They must love this.
Old 5th February 2006, 08:23 PM   #10
stephenv2
Scholar

Originally Posted by eri View Post
Oooh, they have a whole topic for spoonbending. Don't seem to be having much success, though.

I think the best part are all the teenagers and 20-somethings coming on to 'bless' people and talk about their own self-importance. They must love this.
Yes, lots of interviews with children talking about they are "blessed" and "gifted" and therefore here to help humantity. What ever happened to helping even if you are not "special"?

PS, there is a shot of bunches of kids with bent spoons and spoons stuck to their heads. Kind of like a Randi Summer Spoon Camp

Stanley Kubrick, 1969
Old 5th February 2006, 08:43 PM   #11
chasing23
Scholar

Originally Posted by valis View Post
I am 44 years old and as a kid I would have scored darn near perfectly on this quiz. I always did terribly in school and failed at all sorts of things that I should have been able to do easily.

So a few years ago my wife convinces me to tell a doctor about my problems concentrating, he gives me some tasty Welbutrin and now I is a middle age junior maintaining a 3.2 avg in Comp Sci.

I thought she had done me a favor by discovering undiagnosed ADD.

Turns out she robbed me of my psychic destiny!
Wow it is scary how I can relate to that.
chasing23 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th February 2006, 09:48 PM   #12
mayday
Graduate Poster

While at the store last night I saw Neil Young on the cover of the Rolling Stone and my heart skipped a beat. I love that man. But what I realiZed at that time also...he really *is* and indigo child. Those piercing eyes, the epilepsy, the ambidextrious drawings he can do, the high intelligence, the knack for music...he is an indigo child.

My indigo child.
mayday is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2006, 07:43 AM   #13
sophia8
Master Poster

That would be Ram Das who was the subject of a documentary distributed by the Spiritual Cinema Circle. Bearded guys, they look alike.
But has anyone ever seen Randi and Ram Das in a room together? Answer me that!
sophia8 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2006, 08:52 AM   #14
drfrank
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by eri View Post
I'm looking through their message boards. Seems like the usual crap - spiritual connection, anti-vaxers, DNA activation. Don't vaccinate your indigo child - it messes up their DNA! Apparently we have 12 strands of DNA (and 12 additional 'spiritual' strands) but vaccination de-activates 21 of those. Who knew?
The 12 strands of DNA sounds similar to the claim made by Jasmuheen and other breatharians. I wonder if/how they're connected, besides the obvious steaming pile of newage.

On homeopathy:
"I 100% agree with you [that a smaller and smaller physiological effect will be observed in increasing dilution until 24X is reached, at which point there is absolutely no effect.]" Dr A. Sheikh.
drfrank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2006, 09:14 AM   #15
sophia8
Master Poster

Originally Posted by drfrank View Post
The 12 strands of DNA sounds similar to the claim made by Jasmuheen and other breatharians. I wonder if/how they're connected, besides the obvious steaming pile of newage.
Multi-stranded DNA is a common New Age belief nowadays. Not just 12 strands, but 13, 9, 7 - pick any number and somebody somewhere believes that's how many strands there really are in DNA. Provided the person with that DNA is properly spiritually evolved, of course; a lot of these extra DNA strands aren't activated until you're an Ascended Master.
I don't know where the idea originated, though it's been around for several years.
Old 9th February 2006, 09:23 AM   #16
drfrank
Critical Thinker

Multi-stranded DNA is a common New Age belief nowadays. Not just 12 strands, but 13, 9, 7 - pick any number and somebody somewhere believes that's how many strands there really are in DNA. Provided the person with that DNA is properly spiritually evolved, of course; a lot of these extra DNA strands aren't activated until you're an Ascended Master.
I don't know where the idea originated, though it's been around for several years.
Thanks - I'd only previously come across the idea of extra-strands with the 12-stranded breatharians

Somehow, I think beliefs like that are even more ludicrous than the standard energetic vibrations/life energy rubbish, simply because it's such an easily measurable claim.

"Hi there, I am a high-level breatharian and have 12 strands of DNA. I am above the need for McDonalds and other worldly things"

"Well, we did a test on you and, oddly enough, it seems that you only have 2 strands. Also, we took a covert video of you eating pies."

"Umm... well, the other 10 strands are spiritual, and your inferior allopathic medicine equipment obviously can't pick them up properly. I have a friend who sees auras and she could definitely see them, which just shows how stupid all you bloody scientists are, pretending that you know everything. And I wasn't eating that pie, I was simply putting it into my stomach to stop it from wearing its lining away - I wasn't going to absorb any energy from it!"

On homeopathy:
"I 100% agree with you [that a smaller and smaller physiological effect will be observed in increasing dilution until 24X is reached, at which point there is absolutely no effect.]" Dr A. Sheikh.
drfrank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2006, 09:40 AM   #17
ChristineR
Illuminator

These guys explain it. It has something to do with the great pyramid.

http://www.crystalinks.com/12strandna.html

And they credit this as the original: A channeling from the Pleiadians.

http://awakenone.freeservers.com/DNA/12-strand-DNA.htm
ChristineR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2006, 09:51 AM   #18
Luke T.

That's INDIGO Santa.
Luke T. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2006, 10:06 AM   #19
drfrank
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by ChristineR View Post
These guys explain it. It has something to do with the great pyramid.

http://www.crystalinks.com/12strandna.html

And they credit this as the original: A channeling from the Pleiadians.

http://awakenone.freeservers.com/DNA/12-strand-DNA.htm
Thanks Christine

From that first link:

The six pairs of strands are called the 12-strand spiritual DNA. In the 12-strand system, the first pair is physical and the other five pairs of strands are non-physical energy imprints in the human energy field. According to Ariel, the six pairs of DNA double-helix strands have the following roles in our lives.

Hey, it seems that I was right with the gag that you'd need somehow who could see auras to see the other strands

I guess it's just generally impossible to come up with a statement any more ludicrous than people who seriously believe.

Also, they show the level of mathematical ability that I've come to expect:

12=3=3D= third dimension

On homeopathy:
Old 9th February 2006, 10:11 AM   #20
ChristineR
Illuminator

Here's another one I just stumbled across. It's a channeling from "Universal Intelligence." Bascially he/she/it/they explain that the more spiritually advanced you are, the more DNA you have. Jesus had 9 strands, for example. We're just now reaching the point where some of us have 12, and more advanced being have even more.
ChristineR is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2006, 11:42 AM   #21
Luke T.

I drank and drugged 8 of mine away.
Luke T. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2006, 04:32 PM   #22
Dicon
is not a radish

Quote:
Here's another one I just stumbled across. It's a channeling from "Universal Intelligence." Bascially he/she/it/they explain that the more spiritually advanced you are, the more DNA you have. Jesus had 9 strands, for example. We're just now reaching the point where some of us have 12, and more advanced being have even more.
It's so fortunate that we have the shroud of Turin available so we can run these DNA tests!

Call me crazy...

[Everyone: CRAZY!!! ]

... but I can't help but to think that the xians wouldn't be too pleased with anyone saying that there are now people more "spiritially advanced" than the J-man himself. If someone can please arrange a meeting between these factions, I'd happily watch it on pay per view.
Dicon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th February 2006, 07:54 PM   #23
Blackwell
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by drfrank View Post
Also, they show the level of mathematical ability that I've come to expect:

12=3=3D= third dimension
Ah, but don't you see the DEEPER meaning in this? "D" is the 4th letter of the alphabet; 3D = 3*D = 3*4 = 12!

Numbers are cool.

And yea, the Lord did text unto the Philistines...
U guys have to stop s1nnig. I totaly <3 U guys 4ever but I will pwn U when I CUL8ER and U will be all OMG! and WTF! and I be LOL!!! - Psiload
Blackwell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2006, 07:12 AM   #24
drfrank
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Blackwell View Post
Ah, but don't you see the DEEPER meaning in this? "D" is the 4th letter of the alphabet; 3D = 3*D = 3*4 = 12!

Numbers are cool.
I'm fairly sure that 3*4 is not equal to 12 factorial

On homeopathy:
Old 13th February 2006, 08:12 AM   #25
Kopji

Oh this is so timely! My wife has a copy of "The Care and Feeding of Indigo Children" (by Doreen Virtue PhD) sitting right here by the computer.

Hummm setssee, I'm gonna open it up to a random page and enlighten ya'all.
Quote:
pg 111
Plants
Make sure your children have live, potted plants next to their rooms. The broad-leafed plants are best for clearing purposes. During the night, the plant will absorb fear-based energy from your children's bodies, leaving them feeling more refreshed in the morning. Plus, the plant gives off oxygen, which studies are correlating with an increased ability to focus and concentrate.
So there you go.
(This book is a scream.)
Kopji is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2006, 08:48 AM   #26
eri
Critical Thinker

Wow ... oxygen helps us concentrate (and not die). What a revelation! I'm so glad Doreen shared that with us. I like the title - kinda like having a pet, huh?
Old 13th February 2006, 12:09 PM   #27
Kopji

Yeah, pets.
Quote:
pg 164
The time of year when kapha is at its highest is the winter and early spring. This is the most important time of year for kaphas to watch their diet.
Oops, getting ahead of myself here. Pg 163:

Quote:
Kapha
Kapha is made up of the elements of earth and water. Their main attributes are: heavy, slow, cold, oily, slimy, dense, and static. People with kapha constitutions have a larger body frame. There is a strong tendency for kaphas to carry excess weight.

...they are generally slow learners
...tend toward greed and attachment
...stubborn and set in their ways.
(I'm being unfair here, these traits are interlaced with positive complements about how those things can be good, that's to make sure nothing meaningful is really said).

[and yet!]
Quote:
When in balance, kapha people are very reliable, loving, full of compassion, strong, grounded, disciplined, and enduring.
Illustrating what I hate most about things like labeling people 'Indigo' or whatever the label du' jour is. It is like astrology only worse. I don't see how people can't see the potential for harm in this kind of stuff.
Kopji is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2006, 12:25 PM   #28
CFLarsen
Penultimate Amazing

both my wife and I are Indigo's
What did you answer to the questions?

Indigo: The Color of Money, by Lorie Anderson
CFLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2006, 12:51 PM   #29
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Talking Do you guys have a secret ?

When i try to read that crap woo I can't stand going further than 1 paragraph or two, before being utterly disgusted/bored. You have to tell how yu can read heap of that...
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th February 2006, 12:52 PM   #30
stephenv2
Scholar

Originally Posted by CFLarsen View Post
What did you answer to the questions?

Indigo: The Color of Money, by Lorie Anderson
'

I don't remember exactly, but I think it was yes to "sensitive" "concerned about world problems" "intuitive" - but since you only need 5 "right" answers out of then, it wasn't that hard.

Stanley Kubrick, 1969
Old 13th February 2006, 12:58 PM   #31
stephenv2
Scholar

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
When i try to read that crap woo I can't stand going further than 1 paragraph or two, before being utterly disgusted/bored. You have to tell how yu can read heap of that...
I'm currently researching a documentary about the nature of "belief" and "knowing" which starts using Intelligent Design vs. Evolution/Science as it's starting point.

If you approach stuff like this as learning about how people think and feel instead of literally reading it, it becomes very interesting, at least to me.

Stanley Kubrick, 1969
Old 5th September 2007, 05:32 PM   #32
korenyx
Muse

The Color of Money site said Idigos are sometimes called Children of Oz; I'm from Kansas (the real Oz, thank you very much ) so I must be an Indigo.
Now I just hope Fred Phelps doesn't burn me at the stake.

Kore
korenyx is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal