IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags L. Ron Hubbard

Old 21st February 2006, 05:51 AM   #1
JamesM
Graduate Poster

The Music of L. Ron Hubbard

From WFMU's Beware of the Blog:
Quote:
composed by L. Ron Hubbard himself, with help from Scientology session men Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke and Nicky Hopkins.
Click on the link for MP3s.

Holy crap, it's dreadful.
JamesM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2006, 12:16 PM   #2
Almo
Masterblazer

I'm in the middle of Terl the Security Detector. Eesh.
"It may be that there is no body really at rest, to which the places and motions of others may be referred." –Issac Newton in the Principia
Almo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2006, 01:24 PM   #3
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Somewhere in my stack of vinyl LP's, I have a "soundtrack" for Battlefield Earth (the book, not the movie!!) I bought it before knowing the background behind his whole deal.

The music sounds like it was created on one of those little 20-key Casio keyboards, and written by a fourth-grader.
Old 21st February 2006, 01:30 PM   #4
HarryKeogh

you guys better stop making fun of that music or you're so not going to reach OTVIII.
HarryKeogh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2006, 01:51 PM   #5
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by HarryKeogh View Post
you guys better stop making fun of that music or you're so not going to reach OTVIII.
Bah, the Great Xenu laughs at all you pathetic OTs.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2006, 03:02 PM   #6
Cthulhu
Thinker

Holy crap, I am so sending them my psychiatry bills.

Allah Forgives.

Cthulhu thinks you'd make a nice sandwich.

Haw Haw!
Cthulhu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2006, 03:05 PM   #7
J. Arthur Hastur
Critical Thinker

That's some deranged stuff there. You could scare Xenu away with that music, or at least irritate your base Thetans.
J. Arthur Hastur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2006, 03:57 PM   #8
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

I think it's fascinating that you can read all manner of Scientology literature and never get any indication that 'ol El-Ron has been dead for 30 years.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2006, 04:37 PM   #9
Tirdun
Muse

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
I think it's fascinating that you can read all manner of Scientology literature and never get any indication that 'ol El-Ron has been dead for 30 years.
Wait... what!? No no, he's just moved on to another earthly vessle.

Oh, and I'm going to declare that music dreadful without bothering to listen to it. I might be missing out, but based on his other *cough* works, I'm just going to chalk it up to statistical probability.
Tirdun is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2006, 07:21 AM   #10
Robaato
The Noble Sportsman

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Somewhere in my stack of vinyl LP's, I have a "soundtrack" for Battlefield Earth (the book, not the movie!!)
Is that the same as the one in the link?
Old 22nd February 2006, 08:04 AM   #11
J. Arthur Hastur
Critical Thinker

El Ron is never dead if we keep him in our hearts.
J. Arthur Hastur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2006, 08:14 AM   #12
Medb

Originally Posted by J. Arthur Hastur View Post
El Ron is never dead if we keep him in our hearts.
Aw, just like my grandpa.

Only replace "heart" with "locked kitchen cabinet."
Medb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2006, 08:15 AM   #13
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Raja View Post
Is that the same as the one in the link?
The cover is different but some of the tracks sound familiar. I'm afraid to listen to it again.
Old 22nd February 2006, 08:15 AM   #14
J. Arthur Hastur
Critical Thinker

I hope you left him an airhole.
Old 22nd February 2006, 03:11 PM   #15
Beleth
FAQ Creator

I bet L Ron could hit TWELVE holes-in-one on his first ever round of golf!
Old 22nd February 2006, 06:10 PM   #16
Jon.
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Beleth View Post
I bet L Ron could hit TWELVE holes-in-one on his first ever round of golf!
And that's just on the back nine!
Jon. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2006, 06:42 PM   #17
delphi_ote
Philosopher

Now I understand why Scientologists are always complaining they're posessed by anguished spirits.
delphi_ote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2006, 01:17 AM   #18
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

God Damn, Chick Corea and Stanley Clarke. I love RTF, especially Hymn to the Seventh Galaxy. That LP is fll of the most amazing, intense music. Why did they have to let LRH steal their souls.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th February 2006, 11:43 AM   #19
J. Arthur Hastur
Critical Thinker

He didn't steal their souls, he stole their Thetans!
Old 25th February 2006, 11:24 PM   #20
Robaato
The Noble Sportsman

Well well well, it looks like the blog post and the associated MP3 files have been "disappeared"...

Who could've seen that one coming?
Old 26th February 2006, 12:45 AM   #21
Kopji

Humm, might have been removed by music lovers. Here's some others:

http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2005/06/multi_culty.html
Kopji is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2006, 09:57 AM   #22
JamesM
Graduate Poster

I emailed Station Manager Ken about this and he said that particular blog entry was never intended to be permanent, to pre-emptively avoid any trouble from Scientology.

I'm just sorry that many of you will never get to hear its multifaceted, synth-heavy delights.
JamesM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal