ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th March 2006, 11:59 AM   #1
Ashles
Pith Artist

I want to remotely access my home webcam - is there a good package?

Hello.

I'm going away on holiday soon, but I would ideally like to be able to remotely access my webcam at home so I could see a live feed from my webcam over the internet from any PC abroad.

Also it would be brilliant if the program also had a feature that would allow me to access still images so I could also check in (in a more limited way) on my PDA phone.

(I will have broadband by then so that should be okay).

Does anyone know of a good package that is relatively simple that might be able to do this?

Thanks.
Old 27th March 2006, 04:47 PM   #2
Rat
Not bored. Never bored.

Depends how complicated and complete you want it to be. Most webcams come with software that will ftp stills to a preconfigured site using an interval you set, and often optionally overwriting old pics, so it doesn't grow too big.

Also, various VNC packages (UltraVNC or RealVNC) will let you access your home machine to see what's what.

As for one that streams live video over http or whatever, I couldn't find a free one last time I looked, but it was only a trivial search, so I may have missed something obvious.

Cheers,
Rat.
Rat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2006, 05:36 PM   #3
Ashles
Pith Artist

Thanks Rat - I haven't actually installed the webcam yet so I don't know what it comes already bundled with.

I don't have a website myself if that is relevant. I don't really understand ftps - I just want to be able to type in some web address from abroad and see the streaming video/still images.

Also I'm happy to pay for the package - I don't necessarily need a free one.
Old 27th March 2006, 05:50 PM   #4
Rat
Not bored. Never bored.

There's nothing to understand about ftp, really. Assuming your ISP provides you with web space (and if not, it's cheap), you just need an ftp address, plus your usual user name and password. Then you would enter that information into your webcam package, and follow whatever instructions come with it. That would allow you to just type in a web address to see the results. If you need webspace, I can recommend www.1and1.co.uk but others are good.

An alternative would be setting up a web server like Apache (www.apache.org) on your own machine, which gives you more control, but takes more work, so may not be for you. It's not difficult to do, but you need to be aware of the security implications.

The whole streaming video thing...it's possible, but it would take a lot more work (from what I can tell), and you're talking about some serious bandwidth. You wouldn't really want it sending out full size video 24/7. I guess a remote control is more the thing you need, and that's down to the webcam in question. Mine cost about £10 and doesn't come with anything like that.

Cheers,
Rat.
Rat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th March 2006, 10:42 PM   #5
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Here's a place you might want to check out. I don't know anything about their goods or their relative prices, but I'm pretty sure that buried somewhere in there, is a program that does more or less what you're looking for.

http://www.x10.com/home.html

I love this world, but not for its answers. (Mary Oliver)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th March 2006, 12:48 PM   #6
Ashles
Pith Artist

Thank you both.
Old 28th March 2006, 02:46 PM   #7
ohms
Muse

If all you want to do from abroad is just see streaming video then you can use windows media encoder free from microsoft. You will need to set up the web page to connect to the stream yourself and don't forget to set up port forwarding and/or your firewall to allow a connection on the relevant port.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet