ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags propulsion , jetdetonation , pulse , using , robot , hovering , miniature

Old 5th May 2006, 12:22 AM   #1
rocketdodger
Philosopher

miniature hovering robot using pulse jet/detonation propulsion

I am posting this question here cause this is one of the most educated forums around...

I saw some footage on either PBS or the discovery channel a few years ago of a little flying robot that was being tested by some engineers. It was using some kind of pulsed combustion technology for propulsion and could hover, move laterally, etc, in perfect fashion (like a dragonfly).

I have googled pulse jets and PDE propulsion to death, to no avail. Does anyone know what I am talking about? This thing looked about as big as a football. In the footage it moved up and down, side to side, then stopped and fell into a net for landing, at which point the engineers all started cheering. It was extremely loud and sounded like one of those strings of firecrackers being set off.

I would REALLY like to get my hands on an mpeg of this...
rocketdodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2006, 04:58 AM   #2
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

I remember that- the thing is propelled by a pulsed laser. The model was dome-shaped aluminum construct, and was "captive" in that it slid on a wire.

Apparently, you'd need a REALLY big laser to lift anything substantial, or use it outside the atmosphere.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2006, 07:26 AM   #3
richardm
Philosopher

I remember it as well, but I'm blowed if I can find anything about it on the web. Although I don't remember it being dome-shaped; are we thinking of the same thing?

Edit: The one I have in mind is not this, which is what I think Bikewer is getting at.
Rimmer: Look at her! Magnificent woman! Very prim, very proper, almost austere. Some people took her for cold, thought she was aloof. Not a bit of it. She just despised fools. Quite tragic, really, because otherwise I think we'd have got on famously.

Last edited by richardm; 5th May 2006 at 07:28 AM.
richardm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2006, 07:30 AM   #4
Genesius
Apathetic Agnostic

Is this what you're talking about? http://science.howstuffworks.com/light-propulsion.htm
Genesius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2006, 01:35 PM   #5
rocketdodger
Philosopher

Ah yeah I didn't think about laser propulsion. I will start googling based on that right away.

But the domed laser craft is not what I am talking about here. The thing I saw looked very angular and complex, and was not shiny at all. Furthermore it wasn't on any wires because it literally moved around in all directions like a dragonfly.

I want to get to the bottom of this...
rocketdodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th May 2006, 01:48 PM   #6
steve s
Illuminator

I remember seeing such a device that hovered using pulses of gas emitted from nozzles (similar to the steering rockets on the Space Shuttle.) This gizmo was part of the SDI (or ABM) program, IIRC. Try adding that info to your search.

Steve S.
steve s is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2006, 09:35 AM   #7
andyandy
anthropomorphic ape

cheers for the link to howstuffworks....the article on the microwave-propelled lightcraft is pretty interesting stuff.....

i remember watching a discovery channel program about the potential of spacecraft to utilise the earth's magnetic field for flight - effectively using the repulsive force between two magnets to create uplift....i'm not sure if this is what ur talking about - if not, and anyone has any information on this theory please post it!
Old 7th May 2006, 09:48 AM   #8
andyandy
anthropomorphic ape

I suppose it might be like maglev trains....kinda

http://science.howstuffworks.com/maglev-train1.htm

there's an article on elctromagnetic propulsion too as a means of propulsion....though this seems pretty speculative at the moment...http://science.howstuffworks.com/ele...ropulsion1.htm
Old 7th May 2006, 08:58 PM   #9
epepke
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rocketdodger View Post
I am posting this question here cause this is one of the most educated forums around...

I saw some footage on either PBS or the discovery channel a few years ago of a little flying robot that was being tested by some engineers. It was using some kind of pulsed combustion technology for propulsion and could hover, move laterally, etc, in perfect fashion (like a dragonfly).

I have googled pulse jets and PDE propulsion to death, to no avail. Does anyone know what I am talking about? This thing looked about as big as a football. In the footage it moved up and down, side to side, then stopped and fell into a net for landing, at which point the engineers all started cheering. It was extremely loud and sounded like one of those strings of firecrackers being set off.

I would REALLY like to get my hands on an mpeg of this...
This is pretty old. The "brilliant pebbles" technology for SDI in the 1980s did this.

"There's no evidence that the 9-11 attacks (whoever did them) were deliberately attacking civilians. On the contrary the targets appear to have been chosen as military."
-DavidByron
epepke is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2006, 12:34 AM   #10
rocketdodger
Philosopher

OMFG epepke I LOVE YOU!!

You don't know how long I have been trying to figure out wtf that thing was...

So the video clip I saw was a hover test of that thing done in 1987 or '89. Almost 20 years ago. Why don't we have flying cars yet? lol

Incidentally, I can't find a video clip anywhere. Guess I will have to keep looking...

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology